Skip to main content
Question

New App: how do I add songs to a playlist currently playing

I cannot seem to find a way to add songs to playlist in the new app. when I click on the ••• next to a song while another is playing, the only option now appears to be Replace Queue, and no ability to insert the song. what am I missing?

170 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The new app does not have Sonos playlists.  Cannot access existing ones or create new ones.  You can create a queue and add all your favorite songs, but you can’t save the list you create.  Hmmm, interesting design choice.  Just cannot wrap my head around that.  SPEECHLESS.

Does your playlist section not come up when you click on Sonos Favourites?

Userlevel 1

The new app does not have Sonos playlists.  Cannot access existing ones or create new ones.  You can create a queue and add all your favorite songs, but you can’t save the list you create.  Hmmm, interesting design choice.  Just cannot wrap my head around that.  SPEECHLESS.

None of the saved  Sons playlists from the previous app are saved and only 50 of the saved Spotify playlists from the old app are saved. No way to add to or create new playlists. 

I am amazed at the inability of Sonos engineers to fix the problems. We can control a lunar vehicle on the moon from earth, but not fix Sonos. Please hire some qualified engineers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

None of the saved  Sons playlists from the previous app are saved and only 50 of the saved Spotify playlists from the old app are saved. No way to add to or create new playlists. 

I am amazed at the inability of Sonos engineers to fix the problems. We can control a lunar vehicle on the moon from earth, but not fix Sonos. Please hire some qualified engineers!

We can even fix the voyager that is out of our solar system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No.  Only three that I had marked as favorites.  The others are all missing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Also, under Sonos favorites, the list is displayed as an image with a title.  Each item takes up one quarter of the screen.  I can only see 4 at a time.  With one hundred favorites, that’s quite a bit of scrlling.  Not a good user experience for this user.  But maybe their design team went to school and knows better than I.  Maybe I’m supposed to enjoy endless scrolling.

A few years ago, I created several Sonos Playlists and have added to them as time went on.  While in the Sonos app, I would search my Spotify subscription for music that I wanted to add to one of my playlists.  I would click on the three dots alongside the music and would get a drop down menu which gave me an option - Add to Playlist, then would allow me to chose the appropriate Playlist - Country, Listening, Oldies, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.  Now when I click in the three dots, the only move option available is - Add to favorites.  How do I go about adding new music selections to the proper Playlist?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

A few years ago, I created several Sonos Playlists and have added to them as time went on.  While in the Sonos app, I would search my Spotify subscription for music that I wanted to add to one of my playlists.  I would click on the three dots alongside the music and would get a drop down menu which gave me an option - Add to Playlist, then would allow me to chose the appropriate Playlist - Country, Listening, Oldies, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.  Now when I click in the three dots, the only move option available is - Add to favorites.  How do I go about adding new music selections to the proper Playlist?

Add to playlist is not available in the new app .  :(

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can't. There is no longer any editing functionality of playlists in the new Sonos app. Sonos Moderators claim this feature will be added in the future. However,  playlist functionality is not on the Coming Soon or Known Issues lists posted on this site.

If you are a music lover and enjoy creating personalized music lists like me, you’ll need to go directly to your Music Service. Unfortunately, Sonos does not provide this service with their new app. Your best option is to utilize your music service (in your case, Spotify. I use Prime Music and Spotify.)

1. Create playlists in your music  service. (Which you'll be able to edit).
  2. There's an Add Music Services feature on the Sonos home page. Add your service.
  3. Then select your service from the home page of the Sonos app. It will read your saved Spotify music and playlists.

Then you should be able to play your new playlist through Sonos (found under Your Playlists in Sonos). Current Sonos Playlists are frozen. You can only play what existed before the new Sonos app update.

BTW, while in the Spotify app (using my Android), Spotify is able to find and play music through all four of my Sonos speakers.

Can anyone else do this through their various music services being used?

Userlevel 1

You can't. There is no longer any editing functionality of playlists in the new Sonos app. Sonos Moderators claim this feature will be added in the future. However,  playlist functionality is not on the Coming Soon or Known Issues lists posted on this site.

If you are a music lover and enjoy creating personalized music lists like me, you’ll need to go directly to your Music Service. Unfortunately, Sonos does not provide this service with their new app. Your best option is to utilize your music service (in your case, Spotify. I use Prime Music and Spotify.)

2. There's an Add Music Services feature on the Sonos home page. Add your service.
  3. Then select your service from the home page of the Sonos app. It will read your saved Spotify music and playlists.

Then you should be able to play your new playlist through Sonos (found under Your Playlists in Sonos). Current Sonos Playlists are frozen. You can only play what existed before the new Sonos app update.

BTW, while in the Spotify app (using my Android), Spotify is able to find and play music through all four of my Sonos speakers.

Sonos app will only allow me to access my 50 most recent playlists. If you add a new one in Spotify it will delete the 50th oldest one from Sonos. Totally worthless app! 

Userlevel 2

Sonos sold me their products based on advertising which promised the ability to quickly and easily build and edit playlists. In the UK, we have a law called the “Trade Descriptions Act”.  I moot Sonos (and it’s moronic CEO) are in breach of this. Therefore, I want a full refund on all my Sonos kit. But, of course, offering that, would be an actual courageous thing to do. And not the Patrick Spence definition of courageous. 

When they changed the app so you could no longer make or add to playlists, I was annoyed but at least I could still access the play lists.

but the latest app update and they are just gone.

one of the playlists showed on my Recently Played section, but when I tried to play it, it just said “oops something went wrong try again”

Sonos, has just been a massive sack of Horse manure since they started messing around with app a few months ago. It’s unforgivable if they don’t reinstate playlists immediately 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I haven’t been able to use Spotify Connect since New Coke, I mean Sonos, came out.  I never used it before, so maybe this has been gone a while. 

Nothing shows up in the Spotify app on my phone when I click on the button in spotify. 

So much for that back-door. 

Userlevel 2

So, pretty much everyone agrees the new app is wretched, and it appears that Sonos corporate just doesn’t care. There does, however, seem to be another avenue for those of us who want a simple interface to deal with Music Library playlists. I read about disgruntled Sonos users moving to a different app, called “SonoPhone”. It apparently only works for iPhone users, unfortunately for some. For $2.99, I purchased it on the Apple App Store. It was a small gamble which thus far has paid dividends in terms of easy access and manipulation of playlists. So far I’m happy.

Lost all my playlists, won’t link to my Mac, can’t play anything unless I invest in a NAS drive, pity they didn’t tell us this when we bought the system. Absolutely fuming, I’m sure in court we could go with blackmail, fraud, theft, the list goes on…. 

Come on Sonos bring back the system we all loved.

Userlevel 2

My Android Samsung Tablet has the old SONOS 1 controller as well as the former SONOS app. I am able to add songs to my playlist(s) which are on my phone as well     👏 👏.  Can’t do this on my phone as it has the “New” Sonos app. An inconvenience but I'll take it. At least I can add to my playlist until SONOS FIXES THE NEW APP. 

One of the greatest features was being able to add an “up next” song. Is that really gone? It was a fabulous way to get to know people…put your song in the list, pass the phone and let them add their next tune! I miss that very much. 

Userlevel 2

App updates usually occur on Tuesdays,  but here we are with no new updates for two weeks and still no ability to make or add to existing playlists.  They took this away from us two months ago and still havent restored it yet. They'll probably wait until July 30 at the earliest. So incredibly frustrating. If I hadn't invested so much money in Sonos, I would've moved on by now.  They simply don't care about us customers.  Great way to conduct business guys!

Userlevel 1

The “I’m sooooooo Sorry” letter never addressed when and if the Playlists would reappear. And we were promised updates. I have not gotten any updates. 
But I keep getting emails to buy more. Ah, nope, no, nada, are you kidding me, yeah right. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You can unsubscribe from marketing emails.

I think I remember the edit queue functionality being mentioned on the roadmap and I suspect that the edit playlist functionality is closely related to it. Maybe it'll happen before Xmas.

And remember, it took months for Sonos to acknowledge that they screwed up with the app release in the first place. So it'll probably be months until the next status update. Management doesn't enjoy highlighting their failure all too often. People might start to wonder why they are paying someone who is poor at their job so much.

I just created an account to post this: how is this even possible? A player without ability to create playlist? Who signed off on this as a minimal viable product? How is this company still surviving as a publicly traded stock?

Also, how can a product be gimped beyond its basic functionality after a company sold for real money? Is this even legal??