Murfie ceased operations

• 21 November 2019
  • 81 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Badge

Is there anywhere else we can stay in touch and perhaps reach out to the Murfie execs?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all,

Maybe useful if when someone receives an estimate from Murphy for returning their collection, they let this forum know that. Just concerned that Murphy does a thorough job in creating all requests.

I did not receive all the emails from Murphy that others did. Assuming this whole process will be a rush job, they may miss some of us.

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The front page says they’ve ceased ops, but the login page still comes up for me. I’ve never had an account so I can’t test the login, but try quickly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Login page direct link

Thanks.  Still same message through log-in page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll reach out to the team to look into it. I hadn’t heard anything about them ceasing operations, but it may have been a sudden or internal only discussion. I’ll let you know if we hear any details that we can share.

If the service has indeed shut their doors, we’ll be removing their listing from Sonos if they’re no longer operating.

I’m in the same boat with Murfie - I had 878 albums with them and they closed with no communication effective immediately as of yesterday.  I can’t reach anyone with the company.  This is incredibly disheartening.

Thanks so much Bigdog.  I’d love to know if there is any way to recover music from them - even if I need to pay to have my discs shipped back I’d gladly do so rather than lose out on 10K + of music I collected and entrusted in their hands.  I downloaded all of their legal disclaimers before they folded last night which I’d be happy to share with you if needed.

Thanks for the offer, may take you up on it.  

Hopeful

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I've heard back from the team that the message on the Murfie site is correct. They are indeed ceasing operations. The service will be removed from Sonos tomorrow, as it likely already won't play. We're sorry to see Murfie go silent, and hope for the best for everyone involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There are many options for adding a local music library server, some good topics here already or if anyone is interested ask away and folks will be happy to offer suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The CD return offer is not from Murfie, they are gone forever, but from their creditors and a group of users that are trying to make this less awful.

Badge

Greetings to all, and I also trusted this page, I always visited every day to buy albums, there was never a notice given in time to download in FLAC even what I bought, just listen to it via its website via streaming, but the same Wednesday (yesterday ) I was surprised that he said the following on his page "Murfie is Shutting Down, As of Wednesday, November 20th, Murfie has shut down. Thank you all for your years of support." I turned pale, I pressed the REQUEST button like crazy to have my CD albums delivered to me in FLAC format, but there was a request error, I thought it would be fixed or it would be a hacked website, but no, today they closed completely, in Several forums have read the care with giving confidence to this web Murfie, hopefully we join and demand from this company.

Badge

Good news ! Crossies.com bought Murfie.com :

Relax

A plan is in place and your media is safe, and secure.

Crossies LLC has purchased substantially all of the assets of Murfie, and over the next few weeks will be integrating their systems with our technology to re-enable access to your collections and once again enjoy lossless access to your music. All of the disks Murfie stored will be transferred to our own warehouse, where they will be safe for many, many years.

The services we will provide will be very much the same as Murfie's. We may do some things a little differently than the old Murfie did, but will be as transparent as possible through the whole process.

We weren't expecting this, and our service isn't currently capable of serving everyone right off the bat. We'll be transfering your collections, and scaling up as quickly as possible, but it may take a little time for us to catch up.

I hope that you will like the service we are building even better than you liked the old Murfie, but if you choose to have your media returned, we will honor Murfie and Murfie Customer Return Service pricing for at least the next 5 years.

Welcome to the new Murfie!

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting.*

I found this:

https://murfie.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/434271-what-happens-to-my-collection-if-something-happens

The pricing link for return shipping is unsurprisingly dead.

Thanks for the replies.  Fortunately for me, I have my original discs however, I purchased dozens of discs from the site which were uploaded and I did not take delivery.  I have a credit card on file with the organization.  If there was only a way to receive the collection in the FLAC format that it exists on the Murfie servers, presumably located in Madison?  

With my level of trust shattered, I will need to find a solution such as NAS to store those discs, use the SONOS library app to organize and play.  Murfie had a method to rip those discs much faster than real time, so I did not have to spend all of my retirement years on the project.

I just received this message yesterday (7/25/20) .  .  Not quite sure when our CDs will be available on SONOS.

Hello Murfie Members,

It's been 6 full months since Crossies LLC took over the Murfie service after it shut down late last year, and a lot has changed in the world since then. Many of the plans we had in place before the pandemic, came to a screeching halt, and progress has been much slower than anticipated since then. Logistical, technical, and I'm sorry to admit, personal problems have prevented the service from progressing as quickly as we anticipated.

You should currently be able to log into the Murfie.com website with your old username and password to see your media. If you own some of the over 2500 albums we were able to digitize before the shutdown, you'll be able to stream or download that media as well. We recently got the Android app working again, the IOS app needs a bit more work, and we have just gained access to the SONOS developer account to begin work there. The Media Marketplace system is still under construction, and the accounting system still needs work before it can go live. Until the service is fully functional we are not charging anyone for storage or access.

Rest assured that the media you own is safe and secure at our facility in Arkansas, and under constant guard, though returns and digitization work are still on hold until we can break through some red tape preventing us from unloading the media. We are doing everything we can to get it all re-processed, and are committed to ensuring that every piece of media that we hold is handled as it's owner requests. We have cash on hand, we have drastically lowered the monthly burn rate, and we have other revenue streams that are sufficient to sustain the current situation. There is no danger of repeating the events of last year. Murfie is a phoenix rising from the ashes to become stronger than ever.

I know these delays have been frustrating, and I thank you all for your patience and support.

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting.*

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

What’s really strange is there is nothing on the Murfie twitter feed about this, not do there seem to be customers tweeting them about it - I find that incredibly odd.  There are no news reports that I can seem to find on Google, but granted, I’ve only spent a few minutes looking in between stuff at work.

Lots of startups have gone bust, but this one seems odd due to how … quiet … it is.  Only thing I can find of note is this from the Google cache:

It does seem odd that there are zero relevant news stories coming up on a simple search. The only corroborative info I could find was on Wikipedia.

Badge

Murfie Users, alone we may seem powerless but perhaps we should be considering banding together for a class action.  Has anyone sought legal advice?  I have 10,000 cds there and had over $400 in my account from cd sales.  The financial impact for me is significant in the short and long term.  I’m beside myself right now so please chime in if you have any ideas.

I never sold CD in Murfie, but how was the play? The CDs you sold in Murfie, did the money go directly to your Paypal or Card Bank account? or I was going to Murfie's wallet, I bought several CDs and listened to it via streaming, I could not download some in digital format, the point is that that day you could still log in and the message of Murfie's farewell came out, I would I gave the button to download in FLAC, so that I can even have it in digital format, the ridiculous thing is that, for the shiping and the return of the CDs it costs me more than triple that I bought it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’d never heard of this service, but do I understand it right — you would ship your CDs to them and they would rip and then store the physical media ??  

Hmmm not sure I’d be so trusting.  Why would you give your CDs up to this company and not shove them in a box and stick ‘em in the garage ?   Just my cynical point of view, sorry.

Andrew.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A class action is always a possibility but they are expensive and the lawyers want their money up front, form the class members, when there is little possibility of recovering it from the company being sued. If Murfie is truly broke what would you gain from suing them?

The CD return operation is not being run by Murfie, they are gone as a going concern. It is being run by the folks Murfie owed money to and a few customers. If you object to them making money for the work of returning your CDs that is fine, don’t hire them but also don’t be surprised to see the CDs go to a landfill if they can’t be sold off by the bankruptcy court’s agents.

I feel for everyone affected by this. This is one reason why I still buy cd’s much there the amusement of my children. 

Quite…

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

As I mentioned last night, we’ve confirmed with Murfie that they are no longer going to be offering services, however I don’t have any details about what will happen with collections.

As of now, Murfie has been removed from Sonos as a music service.  

I feel for everyone affected by this. This is one reason why I still buy cd’s much there the amusement of my children. 

Quite…

I feel for them too. The users of Murfie generally also bought their CDs. The service offered people the ability to send them CDs and they’d give you digital high quality access anywhere you went to those CDs, at any time. It was a neat idea, and a good option for some people with lots of CDs who didn’t have the time or technology to digitize them on their own. 

Thanks Ryan.  I am still able to access my music through SONOS as of right now.  Is it possible that will remain as - is in the near future?  Perhaps they have ceased accepting new customers and scaled back payroll, not sure how that works on your end as SONOS?

Anyway, assuming this goes away and we are unable to retrieve the FLAC files we paid to have created, I will be looking:

Since I still have my physical collection, to find someone else to rip the discs into a lossless format that I can access through SONOS which works awesome for me.

Appreciate your feed back.