Hate this new app 8.0

• 6 October 2017
  • 90 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Just trying this new app on both android tablet and iPad. Still boring but now more difficult to use. Not intuitive or user friendly.
I didn't like the app before now I hate it more. SONOS you need to get better app designers. This app is the only thing that would put me off recommending sonos to all friends and family. HORRIBLE,HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. BORING colours, BORING design, BORING LAYOUT.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

Now if someone can tell me how to switch from music (i.e. pandora) back to TV on my playbar...I'd be sitting pretty. Currently the only way to go back to my TV sound is to either turn the TV back on and off or change inputs....that is really frustrating as well...

Browse tab, then TV.

And all is safe for democracy. Bless you my friend.
Now if someone can tell me how to switch from music (i.e. pandora) back to TV on my playbar...I'd be sitting pretty. Currently the only way to go back to my TV sound is to either turn the TV back on and off or change inputs....that is really frustrating as well...

Browse tab, then TV.
Seriously what is going on with this new way of switching zones. I have 6 zones. For me to switch to a different zone, I have to tell the app to combine the current zone with the zone I want, then go back in and uncheck the old zone. If I don’t do that, it just always reverts back to the old zone. Is anyone else having this Issue?

That is not how you switch rooms, that is the quick grouping. To switch rooms, tap the Rooms tab. That will bring up a Rooms screen just like the last one.

Ok. Got it. That makes sense. It would be nice if there was a label or something that said "grouping" or something. That's been killing me.
My Sonos stops playing after about 30 min. I am very up set with SONOS. I will not buy the 5 speakers I was planning on buying for Christmas because SONOS can't get their act together and fix the problem. I have called numerous and absolutely no support. SONOS is a fraud!!!!
Seriously what is going on with this new way of switching zones. I have 6 zones. For me to switch to a different zone, I have to tell the app to combine the current zone with the zone I want, then go back in and uncheck the old zone. If I don’t do that, it just always reverts back to the old zone. Is anyone else having this Issue?

That is not how you switch rooms, that is the quick grouping. To switch rooms, tap the Rooms tab. That will bring up a Rooms screen just like the last one.
I’m with you, had Sonos for many years but this is definitely the worst design of the app. Not intuitive at all and every step takes much longer compared to what it was before. Bring back the previous version and improve from there....

Nope... It's been a month and it still drives me bonkers everyday. Have had sonos for 7 years and this experience is driving me nuts... always been it's biggest fan...”
I can fumble around the interface and get where I need to get. My biggest frustration is the TV. I will switch my sonos surround sound system from TV audio to pandora o something else. There is no clean way that I can find to switch back to TV. The old UI had a TV button that allowed me to switch back easily. Am I missing something?
Userlevel 2
Nope... It's been a month and it still drives me bonkers everyday. Have had sonos for 7 years and this experience is driving me nuts... always been it's biggest fan...

The usual complaints when a new version is rolled out. It is different ergo it is hideous and wrong. I do so wonder how some people ever cope with the new BT tv remotes.
I've given this new app a real chance, and still find it unintuitive and cumbersome to use. It was far, far better before. Please revert.If you will excuse my asking, is your principal (or only) controller device a tablet or a phone?

I use multiple controllers. The terrible UI to which I refer is the Android phone + tablet and iOS tablet interfaces. The OS X app has not changed, and remains intuitive and good.
The new design does not work for me.... I really hate it. I've got 9 zones and been loyal since 2004. This app is so horrible I feel betrayed.

Fix this and play around on the Windows interface, that UI sucks anyway.

Bill_67 - Well said. To the User Community, stop the in-fighting, the egos and speculative answers about what the rationale was for the change. Let's focus on feedback to Sonos and getting a better user interface.
I have been using Sonos for over 10 years and have appreciated the upgrades. I also understand the need to innovate and change, but this is NOT a user friendly. Not sure what drove this change but Sales and Marketing totally missed it on this one. Please roll these changes back and give us a screen we can use!!! :@:@:@

Michajj1,
6 Sonos units in the house and not happy....
No I do in fact swipe down on my Android, I just didn't think it worth picking up on that. For me the point was that I find it irritating to have to swipe at all. You can alternatively touch the down arrow top left
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Are you guys using IOS, cause I just tried this swiping up and it doesn't work? On my android, I can only swipe down the now playing, there's no swipe up behavior.
That is what I do. Simple but should be unnecessary.
I think the new UI is an improvement. I like the buttons always available at the bottom, very much like the new dock configuration on iOS 11. Simple, intuitive, fast navigation. One thing I’d suggest is to allow personalization of the background with a photo. I use a picture I took of several hundred Sandhill Cranes gathering at dusk for my iPad’s background. Very soothing.I will agree with you totally when the Sonos bar really is always visible, including on the Now Playing screen.

Just swipe up. Simple.
I've given this new app a real chance, and still find it unintuitive and cumbersome to use. It was far, far better before. Please revert.If you will excuse my asking, is your principal (or only) controller device a tablet or a phone?
I've given this new app a real chance, and still find it unintuitive and cumbersome to use. It was far, far better before. Please revert.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I absolutely cannot stand the new app. It's so awful and unintuitive. Bring back the old interface!

Did anyone actually user test it?? It really doesn't feel like it was tested by actual users with decent sized systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
FWIW, I think the new iOS apps are good once one spends a few moments
There was a similar furore when Strava changed its iOS app from dark to light. Lots of angry jumping up and down before everyone just got used to it. I guess Sonos could probably implement a night (dark) mode without too much effort if there really is a persistent widespread objection, but I'd leave it a few weeks to see if folks get used to it.

No it's just bad UX/UI.
The fact that it needs "a few weeks" getting used to defy the hallmark goal of good design - intuitiveness.

I'm a flexible tech savvy user and this app keeps annoying and confuse me since the launch.

I'm not a designer so no suggestion other than get some outsourced UI expert firm to help and (as important if not more) get feedback from focus groups, user surveys, etc.

For instance - Much too many times clicking the 'back' button on Android exits the app instead of going to the previous screen... God if wanted to exist the app I would f**** close it alright? Back button is convenient and intuitive for a library app... Why make it close the app?

And many more (like I feel common stuff are way too buried away and uncommon items just always in your face.. but that might be just me. Although my music and audio enthusiasts friends agree).

All very fixable, much less complicated than making something like the 2x Play:5 + Sub sound so darn good ;)

Just a quick correction here: the 'few weeks' I mentioned clearly just referred to the light-mode look, not to the app's functionality. It took me very little time to figure out the new user model and interface changes, and in the most part I think they're beneficial. However, I do use the iOS apps not the Android ones.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The new design does not work for me.... I really hate it. I've got 9 zones and been loyal since 2004. This app is so horrible I feel betrayed.

Fix this and play around on the Windows interface, that UI sucks anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
What idiots do Sonos employ to write their software?....what a completely dysfunctional and unintuitive interface - it makes Spotify look almost acceptable!! Come on sonos....employ some decent software engineers who are older than 11 and who live and operate in the real world and get this hideously obstructive interface sorted. Your going to lose custom.

Yes, Sonos have real problems with their software, but... I suspect it's not the developers' fault. I build software for a living, so I'm well aware of
1. The compromises that go into development, and the prioritisation of new features over fixing bugs or getting the core user experience right
2. The need to get your software in front of real users for feedback as early as possible (seriously, watching real users let loose on your software and using it in ways you never expected is a sight) - if only the comments on this forum led to changes...
3. Developing to deadlines - at least where live production software is concerned, Sonos don't employ an agile "continuous delivery" approach of constantly shipping minor changes, but an infrequent "big bang" quarterly (with minor patches) schedule
Thank you for that high standard of insightful analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the new controller. It is what I have come to expect .
What idiots do Sonos employ to write their software?....what a completely dysfunctional and unintuitive interface - it makes Spotify look almost acceptable!! Come on sonos....employ some decent software engineers who are older than 11 and who live and operate in the real world and get this hideously obstructive interface sorted. Your going to lose custom.