Hate this new app 8.0

• 6 October 2017
  • 90 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

Been a lot said on this topic... is there a place where I can preview the screens before upgrading? The 28 second video doesn't convey much but there must be a place where I can see a photo of each new screen and menu?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Wow so much hate. I actually like it. It’s much faster for me than the old app. Better layout. Yes a dark theme would be nice though. But I don’t get all this hate.
Userlevel 2
Fully agree. I have been using Sonos for over 10 years. I have 6 rooms and have been through all the different controllers and device apps but this is by far the worst user experience. The layout is appalling, the workflow is so bad I get cross everytime I use it. It's the most unfriendly app I have ever used. Why can you not follow the same design as most app developers where simple things like back equals back. So often I hit back only to return to my phone's home screen. If I wanted to go home I would have pressed home. Please please please listen to your customers and invest in a decent app UX team.
Userlevel 2
It needs to be simply, compact, intuitive and fast. The new app is none if these.
Userlevel 2
This is SO awful. Horrible workflow. Just garbage. Totally disappointed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
What apk mirror did you use Achristocat?

EDIT: Never mind, found it : )
Userlevel 4
Badge
Cross posted from another topic thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... 🙂
Is there anyone who has the 7.4 iphone app software? this app is so bad, i started to research how to Crack/hijack my iphone just to load the previous versions. i done have an itune ack-up so the easy way is not available to me
Userlevel 2
It´s the same story like Apple iTunes. From the best Musicmanagement to an unattractive nightmare. sonos has now done exactly the same. I´m to old for the 8.0 App !:(:@
Userlevel 2
I rarely get bothered by changes to software, but this ver8 is, on first look, a really retrograde step.White background a matter of taste (and it will use batteries quicker... it's really BRIGHT!) but Why oh Why do we have to have such big icons in the My Sonos page? Have to scroll down and across to even get to see lists.. ridiculous "design"! Have lists please so we can see what's what on one page without having to search the page first.
I note that the Ver8 for MacOS (Sierra) looks like the old controller Ver 7 and before... much better>..DON"T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The usual complaints when a new version is rolled out. It is different ergo it is hideous and wrong. I do so wonder how some people ever cope with the new BT tv remotes.
Userlevel 3
Yeah, I wish I hadn't updated. The look is ugly and it doesn't use space well at all. Now instead of seeing all of my radio stations in a compact list I can see only two at a time. Come on, can't you do better than this?
Userlevel 3
Exactly! This new one is a major step backwards! A typical thing, when software "geniuses" try to design a controller. Only these idiots understand the logic, not for normal people. Bad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
FWIW, I think the new iOS apps are good once one spends a few moments adjusting to the model. The tabs at the bottom allow the functionality to be more logically organised, accessed faster, and make the app more expandable for future functions. Rooms are now a first-class UI element. Its major crime seems to be that it's 'different'. There are one or two minor UX tweaks I'd make, but the basic direction seems good.

The choice of light/dark is a matter of taste. Light appears to be more common in modern mobile apps.

There was a similar furore when Strava changed its iOS app from dark to light. Lots of angry jumping up and down before everyone just got used to it. I guess Sonos could probably implement a night (dark) mode without too much effort if there really is a persistent widespread objection, but I'd leave it a few weeks to see if folks get used to it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
The white look is hideous.