Hate this new app 8.0

• 6 October 2017
  • 90 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

The new design does not work for me.... I really hate it. I've got 9 zones and been loyal since 2004. This app is so horrible I feel betrayed.

Fix this and play around on the Windows interface, that UI sucks anyway.

Bill_67 - Well said. To the User Community, stop the in-fighting, the egos and speculative answers about what the rationale was for the change. Let's focus on feedback to Sonos and getting a better user interface.
Userlevel 2
Nope... It's been a month and it still drives me bonkers everyday. Have had sonos for 7 years and this experience is driving me nuts... always been it's biggest fan...

The usual complaints when a new version is rolled out. It is different ergo it is hideous and wrong. I do so wonder how some people ever cope with the new BT tv remotes.
I can fumble around the interface and get where I need to get. My biggest frustration is the TV. I will switch my sonos surround sound system from TV audio to pandora o something else. There is no clean way that I can find to switch back to TV. The old UI had a TV button that allowed me to switch back easily. Am I missing something?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
What apk mirror did you use Achristocat?

EDIT: Never mind, found it : )
Been a lot said on this topic... is there a place where I can preview the screens before upgrading? The 28 second video doesn't convey much but there must be a place where I can see a photo of each new screen and menu?
Been a lot said on this topic... is there a place where I can preview the screens before upgrading? The 28 second video doesn't convey much but there must be a place where I can see a photo of each new screen and menu?

Why bother? Have you ever liked one thing about a UI upgrade since 4.x (or was it before that? 3.x?)

Serious question.

And no, there is not a comprehensive place where you can view every new screen and menu. If you can't get the gist of the new UI from the various videos, I don't know what to say. Though I do think you put way too much sturm and drang into a mere UI change.

Why bother? Have you ever liked one thing about a UI upgrade since 4.x (or was it before that? 3.x?)

Serious question.

And no, there is not a comprehensive place where you can view every new screen and menu. If you can't get the gist of the new UI from the various videos, I don't know what to say. Though I do think you put way too much sturm and drang into a mere UI change.

I'm not among those who have been posting stressfully for the past week about the new UI. I was just curious if there was a good way to preview it to see what all the fuss is about. As long as the PC app is the same it won't affect me and I'm not going to give Sonos grief over UI changes on devices that I don't even use for Sonos control anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I rarely get bothered by changes to software, but this ver8 is, on first look, a really retrograde step.White background a matter of taste (and it will use batteries quicker... it's really BRIGHT!) but Why oh Why do we have to have such big icons in the My Sonos page? Have to scroll down and across to even get to see lists.. ridiculous "design"! Have lists please so we can see what's what on one page without having to search the page first.
I note that the Ver8 for MacOS (Sierra) looks like the old controller Ver 7 and before... much better>..DON"T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!

Look at the screen!!!!

See all
Edit
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are some good screenshots and descriptions on the product guide page here.

Also, I think the blog post has a lot of great material for that too.
Thanks, I'll have a look at those.
I am not fundamentally disagreeing with you but my point is that playlists are derived from elements in other Sonos sources, the music library isn't.

What we actually had in 7.4 was absolutely everything chucked onto the same menu, whether for day to day music playing or rare uses like adding music services. OK you prefer that, I don't. Let's agree to differ.
I think the new UI is an improvement. I like the buttons always available at the bottom, very much like the new dock configuration on iOS 11. Simple, intuitive, fast navigation. One thing I’d suggest is to allow personalization of the background with a photo. I use a picture I took of several hundred Sandhill Cranes gathering at dusk for my iPad’s background. Very soothing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Still on 7.4 here and don't know what to do!, I have a new Play 1 to add so presumably this will force an update to 8.0..

Wife has just got over the price of my Playbar, 2 Play 1's and Sub. She likes the 7.4 so might be shooting myself in the foot going to 8.0..
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I agree. I think the new UI is a huge step bacwkard. I have a large system, that is pushing the limits to the number of units. It is complicated to operate and move across the system. Any good 3rd party apps we could switch to?

Why is it complcat d.
There is always a trend of complaint but no back up of why. Some complaints are resolved by simply looking at the screen. Erm...well set out, quite intuitive etc. It is different though. Does different mean rubbish. Odd that exactly the same sentiments were expressed with the previous update. Different ergo rubbish.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Still on 7.4 here and don't know what to do!, I have a new Play 1 to add so presumably this will force an update to 8.0..

Wife has just got over the price of my Playbar, 2 Play 1's and Sub. She likes the 7.4 so might be shooting myself in the foot going to 8.0..

Do not update-I repeat-DO NOT upgrade.unless, that is, you want software that is more complicated then the previous. It is horrible. You will have marriage trouble if you have a misses with 8.0

I had a forced update when adding a new Play1 this morning.

Reading all these posts and thinking to myself "it can't really be that bad", well it deffinitely is!.

My Sonos page is just badly laid out with very poor use of screen, everything is now another swipe or two or three away from where it was before..

Think the wife is still on 7.4, I've found the APK so will see what happens later, hopefully won't brick the whole lot.

Just can't understand why Sonos thought this was an improvement, wonder if anybody actually used it or if they just got carried away with shiny big icons..

Yep. It may be in a different place. So what?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Agreed! Please change or revert back. Or give us the option for an easy reinstall of old version

I agree. Take away the Alexa integration...it’s different and therefore complete rubbish.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, I wish I hadn't updated. The look is ugly and it doesn't use space well at all. Now instead of seeing all of my radio stations in a compact list I can see only two at a time. Come on, can't you do better than this?

I came back to the 7.4 version. The apk is easy to find and so far it works well on the 8.0 firmware for which I did not find a down grade solution.
Userlevel 1
Me & my wife both hate the colour of the new app & find it annoying to use, we have now both spent time using it & feel the update was a pointless exercise.. Can the team behind changing the userface & colour of the app change it back or at least give the option to change it back ... I havent paid over £1200 to have an that looks this bad.. I use Android if its any help ...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I think the new UI is an improvement. I like the buttons always available at the bottom, very much like the new dock configuration on iOS 11. Simple, intuitive, fast navigation. One thing I’d suggest is to allow personalization of the background with a photo. I use a picture I took of several hundred Sandhill Cranes gathering at dusk for my iPad’s background. Very soothing.I will agree with you totally when the Sonos bar really is always visible, including on the Now Playing screen.

Agree
Ultimately this is in keeping with Sonos moving to make its app resemble and, to an extent, behave like the popular streaming services out there. It started with the queue management changes...I have a hard time following the logic here. I use Amazon unlimited in conjunction with the Alexa app and everything is "Echo queue management" and "playlists" tied to "My Music". It seems like you would have to go back at least 3 software revisions in Sonos to get to where it looked like the streaming service I use so I don't see how the UI changes can be said to be needed to better resemble the way streaming services look.

Good grief you love to snip context. You quote the opening premise of his post, conveniently snip the part where he cites the specific "popular streaming services out there" like Apple and Deezer which support his premise, then list a single music service that seems not to support his premise and, again conveniently, seems to resemble your beloved 4.0 Sonos app?

Well, color me surprised. But again, he said nothing about Amazon's app, he specifically mentioned Apple and Deezer.
Ultimately this is in keeping with Sonos moving to make its app resemble and, to an extent, behave like the popular streaming services out there. It started with the queue management changes...I have a hard time following the logic here. I use Amazon unlimited in conjunction with the Alexa app and everything is "Echo queue management" and "playlists" tied to "My Music". It seems like you would have to go back at least 3 software revisions in Sonos to get to where it looked like the streaming service I use so I don't see how the UI changes can be said to be needed to better resemble the way streaming services look.

Good grief you love to snip context. You quote the opening premise of his post, conveniently snip the part where he cites the specific "popular streaming services out there" like Apple and Deezer which support his premise, then list a single music service that seems not to support his premise and, again conveniently, seems to resemble your beloved 4.0 Sonos app?

Well, color me surprised. But again, he said nothing about Amazon's app, he specifically mentioned Apple and Deezer.

Yes I snip long quotes to make it clear what part of the quote I am responding to. I took Apple and Deezer to be examples of "popular streaming services" and pointed out that this did not match my experience with the "popular streaming service" that I use. Why would Sonos seek to emulate Deezer and the both loved and hated Apple Music services but not other popular services like Amazon? Serious question since I don't use those other services and don't know anything about them.
No, you didn't do anything of the sort. You stated "I have a hard time following the logic here" after snipping the actual logical explanation of his initial premise, i.e. that the new interface was like the popular services offered by Apple and Deezer. You didn't say your experience was different from his or that your service may be different from Apple or Deezer (which you admittedly have no idea of), you simply invalidated his logic and swapped in yours, without having to debate his actual logic because you snipped it. It's something you do often, and it's as transparent as cellophane.
Yeah, I think when you set out to invalidate someone's premise, you should probably start with . . . uhhh . . . actually debating the points he uses to support his premise, instead of merely invalidating his premise and then conveniently removing anything supporting it from the conversation. Especially when you admittedly have no knowledge to invalidate his supporting points. I'd call that Debate 101.
It certainly seemed like you were invalidating Burt's premise, but you've explained it now. It just seems you have a long running habit of snipping parts of people's posts that do not fit your worldview, you have no answer for, or that disprove your facts, instead of actually answering them.

Burt wasn't stating that Sonos is designing the interface to match some generic ideal, he said they were looking to make it more like other popular streamers like Apple and Deezer. Your reply seemed to be "No they aren't, cause it's nothing like Amazon." Perhaps initially including the analysis that you came up with only after being called on your post snipping would have avoided this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Guys did not mean to start a fight :D

I any event I am not necessarily supporting Sonos choice to move the app in this direction but more making the point that it has sought to make it more akin to........... Maybe I should say........ SOME streaming services. I specifically mentioned Apple and Deezer because I use those and can compare what Sonos has done to them. The whole compartmentalized finish with the menu at the bottom is very typical of a few services.