Feature Request: Export and Import Sonos Playlists

• 25 February 2013
  • 216 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

216 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I know, they dont care.
It seems Sonos is putting their money on future developments as streaming music and voice control. That's all very fine by me, but I get the feeling the old contingent of customers is being left behind. And that's a shame.
Lost 3 of 4 yeard of collecting tracks with sonos playlists. Really hate them for this. Overthinking to sell the stuff. I know, they dont care.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Unfortunately there isn't any news right now around this feature, but I'll knock on a few doors for you and remind the team there's still interest in this feature.
I can (of course) only speak for myself and I have to say I'm sorry to find this feature on the back burner. I keep hoping, though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
a good idea, and we've passed it to the development team as a suggestion, but we don't have any update to share on its status. As soon as there's news we'll let everyone know, but there isn't currently anything to share.
Hello Ryan S, it's almost been a year since your last note on the subject of being able to backup and/or edit Sonos playlists. Do you have any recent news to share, maybe?

Hey Beynym,

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately there isn't any news right now around this feature, but I'll knock on a few doors for you and remind the team there's still interest in this feature. As you know, we don't talk about what's being developed or slated for the future, but if there's any news around this which can be shared we'll be sure to let everyone know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
a good idea, and we've passed it to the development team as a suggestion, but we don't have any update to share on its status. As soon as there's news we'll let everyone know, but there isn't currently anything to share.
Hello Ryan S, it's almost been a year since your last note on the subject of being able to backup and/or edit Sonos playlists. Do you have any recent news to share, maybe?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Import export playlists is a must have for me
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
So yeah, it kinda sucks.
😞
Playlist import/export is pretty fundamental functionality, I agree. It's also clear they'll never do it.

@beynym, to complicate things, my script was written in ruby.
If you're on OSX or Linux, then the instructions to use it are (kinda) simple: On a terminal do

gem install xspf2spotify
xspf2spotify you-playlist-file.xspf > spotify-playlist.txt
(and then copy and paste that into Spotify).

However you need to get the playlist exported to xspf format using the spl tool first.

... and on Windows getting Ruby and Python set up is a bit trickier too. So yeah, it kinda sucks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I've just built a tool to take the output of spl, and convert it into a Spotify playlist, which you can simply then copy/paste into the Spotify app
As I've written before: it's a bloody shame Sonos is unable to assist users in backing-up and editing their playlists. Apparently this is possible by using special tools. In what way would it be possible for someone like me, who doesn't know the first thing about Python, to take advantage of your work?
I have written a Python script that will backup and restore Sonos playlists. It is located at here. It uses the SoCo Python module to communicate with the speakers. It has been tested on GNU/Linux and MS-Windows.

I have added another parameter to your python script to export title, creator and album to the XSPF file. This exported playlists you can then add to Soundizz panel "Playlist file" and import to other music services like Deezer, Spotify etc. It is available here and I have started a pull request to merge it into spl.

Export all playlists:
spl.py -X -d
Export one playlist:
spl.py -x 90sRock -d
Sometimes you need to add one of your Sonos IPs with addtitonal parameter -I, example: "spl.py -X -d -I 192.168.1.38"

I've just built a tool to take the output of spl, and convert it into a Spotify playlist, which you can simply then copy/paste into the Spotify app.
Feedback welcome:

https://github.com/joffotron/xspf2spotify
I have written a Python script that will backup and restore Sonos playlists. It is located at here. It uses the SoCo Python module to communicate with the speakers. It has been tested on GNU/Linux and MS-Windows.

I have added another parameter to your python script to export title, creator and album to the XSPF file. This exported playlists you can then add to Soundizz panel "Playlist file" and import to other music services like Deezer, Spotify etc. It is available here and I have started a pull request to merge it into spl.

Export all playlists:
spl.py -X -d
Export one playlist:
spl.py -x 90sRock -d
Sometimes you need to add one of your Sonos IPs with addtitonal parameter -I, example: "spl.py -X -d -I 192.168.1.38"
It's clear why there is no export. Sonos want to keep you as locked in as possible.

A better way to do this though is to make sure they stay the best.

+1 for import/export
Sonos, please develop a way to export, import and backup playlists to a local file - xml, csv or anything.
The file need not be compatible with any other player or device type.
You should be able to backup the playlist so you can recover if you had to reset the speaker.
You should be able to share your playlist with other people using SONOS speakers.

Users should not have to resort to using Python scripts or 3rd party sw like MediaMonkey to do this.

Come on, this is a must for any user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I have written a Python script that will backup and restore Sonos playlists.

In what way would it be possible for someone like me, who doesn't know the first thing about Python, to take advantage of your work?
Yes playlist export please!
And please use an iTunes compatible format so I can listed to the playlist on the go.
Get. on. it.

Backing up & restoring preferences are crucial Especially as I've added all these radio station streams manually & there is no way (I can see) to export or import them back in.

It took hours to put them in one.at.a.time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
+1

I just assumed such a simple thing would be working flawlessly but it's not even there.
8-/
All I have wanted to do for the last few years is to be able to export Sonos playlists to a spreadsheet so that I can look for duplicates or gaps. Surely not so much to ask? The lack of that just makes me build playlists elsewhere. Surely not good long term for the Sonos business model?

Surprised there has been no response from Sonos.....
Seams like this could be handled many different ways...

I'd be happy enough if you could export the playlist to a text file and re-import it.

Come on Sonos - listen to us!

There is a viable (and easy) way to export Sonos paylist.

1) install mediamonkey (your Sonos should show up as a media server)
2) access "saved queue" under any of the sonos devices
3) select your sonos playlist
4) create a new playlist within mediamonkey (right click)
5) go to tools/scripts/export all playlists
6) go here: http://soundiiz.com/#/converter

you can't easily import your playlist back into a sonos playlist, but really since sonos is too **stoopid** to implement basic functionality, I would suggest just playing your songs in the sonos app from within one of the other services

Anyone tested this? I am not able to place the exported xspf-Playlist into soundiiz converter window Playlist File, it says only "Chargement" and nothing happens. When tested with another xspf it works, difference I see is for example tag "creator" is missing in exported file from Sonos.
Stop dreaming Sonos will never let you access to your own playlists. This is their best defense against switchers.

I think in this day, export and import to a local computer and trying to manage and protect that content locally is "old school". Cloud storage solves problems like this with ease, especially for those of us who are already streaming our content from the cloud.

Old school or not there are a lot of people who do not have a reliable persistent connection to the Internet and who will not buy products that require one. It is great to have cloud storage as an option but only if it is in addition to local backup and restore and not instead of it.
Badge +1
Maybe, at a minimum, Sonos needs to consider an opt-in setting to replicate the configuration content like Sonos Playlists to cloud based servers. They could be Sonos servers or third party cloud storage providers. There is already some kind of relationship between the Sonos components and Sonos servers.. if this relationship was extended to include configuration data, this would ensure the simplicity of the Sonos Experience. It could be a free service, or it could be a small fee subscription service. If Sonos doesn't want to roll their own servers for this, then how about just being able to sync the content (encapsulated as required) to Dropbox or some other cloud storage provider.

I think in this day, export and import to a local computer and trying to manage and protect that content locally is "old school". Cloud storage solves problems like this with ease, especially for those of us who are already streaming our content from the cloud.

Another value proposition of export to a cloud storage provider, is that it provides a "common interface store" to enable replication or sync of Sonos Playlists across households; for those of use that have multiple Sonos Networks/Households.

To add some fuel to the concern about losing playlists. It is my understanding that in a multi-component Sonos system that configuration content is distributed to all the components in the Household (Sonos Network). As such, in a multi-component system, if a component failed and was replaced, it would get the content like playlists from the other components in the household when it was re-added. BUT, in a single component system, like a Connect on a wired connection, if the component were to fail, everything would be lost. I have a configuration in exactly this situation: A single Connect on a wired Ethernet Connection with many playlists defined. If I had another Sonos component on that network I would be somewhat protected if the Connect failed, but if I don't what options are there: None.

in the interim, I'd just be happy with a report of what's "in there." Specifically and minimally per playlist, playlist name, tracks (artist, album, track name), and order.

From reading back through this thread and Ryan S's comments, I am sure that Sonos Development is working on this and want to make sure what they do is right for the Sonos Experience. I would like to add that with music service provider playlists and Sonos playlists, it does get a little blurry as to where one should be creating playlists. One of the great features about Sonos is that it allows one to have a hybrid content playback experience from a single controller point of view and as such a Sonos Playlist can be constructed with tracks from various sources .. and that is a very powerful strength of the Sonos system. Of course with this comes some weaknesses, specifically this topic and another feature request I posted about having an icon to represent the source of the track in either playlists or the queue.
Unbelievable how Sonos can irritate their biggest fans! ... I stopped using sonos playlists all together and use Spotify to manage my playlists ... My biggest irritation is the arrogance of not even explaining why exporting/importing and sorting playlists are not being offered.
Interesting to observe how this discussion has turned from constructive and friendly 3 years (!) ago to rather harsh and unfriendly, and I can fully see why. We also have a holiday home, have now invested four weeks into perfecting about 5 different playlists, and now I am actually contemplating taking pictures of these lists as Sonos doesn't let me export them - how silly is that??

Neglecting key interests of customers, like Sonos obviously does by not allowing playlist exports (and by the most crappy Spotify interface, btw..) has never paid off. I can already see someone else doing a much better job at improving customer experience and grabbing market share from Sonos. Ignorance at work, hard to believe.
Stony silence as usual. I think our strongest leverage will be as an earlier poster said, data laws. That should scare them into action.