Feature Request: Export and Import Sonos Playlists

• 25 February 2013
  • 216 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

216 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Dang it Ryan beat me to it! I mean our responses were close to the same ...right :)

They were close. It really was only the tone, content, intent, and specifics that were off 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
P.S. I love my Sonos playlists for saving my queue. Especially after a party where others have added a lot of their favorites. However, as a permanent place for keeping music to listen to it can easily become a mess because a lot of times the music is being picked from multiple services and if I change services those tracks don't continue to work. It is better to build permanent playlists directly within service you want (apple music, Spotify, etc.) as it gives you a lot more permanent options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dang it Ryan beat me to it! I mean our responses were close to the same ...right 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can give you what IN MY OPINION Sonos would say "if they could" after closely following threads here for several years ....

"Yes we have known for a long time people want to export playlists but there are a lot of complications behind it. We looked at it but it would be more of an undertaking then you would think and it would be a support nightmare. Plus we are now moving away from local music libraries, which the playlists really only work best with as far as permanent indexing. We are also moving more toward 3rd party application Sonos integration and less dependent on playlists within the Sonos application. So unfortunately you have about as much a chance of exporting your playlists as playing a DTS track on your Playbar. Thank you for being a Sonos Customer. Have a wonderful day!"

How is that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Dancing monkey here. I kid, I kid. But it made me laugh.

Thanks for the interest judoman, and everyone else for the replies. As suggested, we don't have any news that can be shared right now. There are some big changes coming to the Sonos controller interface and the way music is cued up to be played, but it doesn't include any changes to Sonos Playlists and their ability to be exported and saved. The beta is almost making a step away from Sonos Queues in general by making it even easier to start playing a playlist straight away and moving from playlist to playlist during a listening session.

If it's really important to be able to modify your playlists, it's probably best to use iTunes playlists or playlists through a music service, such as Spotify or Google Play Music. Those options have a lot more functionality to them over Sonos Playlists which are just saved Sonos Queues.
yet they never like hearing us repeat ourselves do they?

Well, we don't work for Sonos, so we don't have to temper our responses as much. As my father always said "You know why people abuse wait staff? Because they can."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yet they never like hearing us repeat ourselves do they?
It would be the same as Ryans response you quoted before in this thread. There is no change in response so not sure why they would repeat the earlier response.

Because in case you haven't figured it out, that's beynym's shtick. No matter how many times he's heard the responses before, he insists on hearing them again. He likes to make the Sonos reps dance like monkeys.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would be the same as Ryans response you quoted before in this thread. There is no change in response so not sure why they would repeat the earlier response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Some reaction from Sonos about the future possibility of editing, exporting and backing up Sonos playlists would be nice though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If exporting playlists is that important to you that it effects your purchase decisions - then I wouldn't rely on it being implemented (as there has never been a sign that it ever will).

As mentioned above you can make playlists with player of your choice and export from it into Sonos.

Interesting I have never seen before anything about Mediamonkey being able to pull in a Sonos playlist. Can't confirm or deny that.
Dear Sonos Product Managment,

I am planning a substantial purchase of Sonos gear but require Sonos Playlist export/import functionality. Is this functionality on your near-term product roadmap? If not, I will (very) regretfully make my purchase from a competitor.

Respectfully,
/j

Sonos does not release specific roadmaps, so I would predict no definitive answer will be coming.

However, some clarification is needed: You can at this time easily import playlists in iTunes .XML or .M3U format, they will appear under "Imported Playlists" in the controller. This will allow you to keep copies of any playlists which contain your local library as tracks, and will duplicate in Sonos any playlists you have in iTunes, or any other music manager software. You can also access playlists which are created inside a particular music app (Spotify, Google Play Music, etc.). What you cannot do is export playlists created within the Sonos app (aka "Sonos Playlists").

As to purchasing a competitor is concerned, I know of no competitor who has exporting of playlists as a feature, though to be honest I don't keep 100% up to date with the features offered by the competitors.
Dear Sonos Product Managment,

I am planning a substantial purchase of Sonos gear but require Sonos Playlist export/import functionality. Is this functionality on your near-term product roadmap? If not, I will (very) regretfully make my purchase from a competitor.

Respectfully,
/j
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I found a partial fix to this longstanding problem. MediaMonkey 4.1 lets you work with a Sonos playlist, sort it, export to an Excel file, etc. I posted some details elsewhere in this forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Spotify tracks used to have a small Spotify symbol on them but it was removed a couple if releases ago. Shame because it was very useful - especial for knowing which tracks you could start Radio against.
Bless, I guess they think that ignoring a problem makes it go away - i have a couple of sonos playlists which I want to export to iTunes to play in the gym, please give me a way to do this
Most subscription streaming music services will only allow you to play their 'leased' audio files when:

(a) you are connected to their network service via wifi etc. or
(b) you have downloaded the tracks locally, to listen to them whilst off-line... (and remain subscribed).

This is the case for playing any song/album or playlist etc.

So would it not be useful to have a similar 'option' in the Sonos Controller on mobiles/tablets and PC's to download the songs in a stored playlist to play offline also?... And to carry those playlists and downloaded songs between the different controller 'home' locations.

I appreciate it probably sounds easier to say these things, rather than do them, but surely having a playlist stored locally on an 'eligible' Sonos controller would be a good option, providing access is restricted just to the authorised Sonos software and authorised music subscription service.

Would that not resolve one or two of the issues that are being raised here in this thread?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As beynym said, unfortunately there isn't an easy way to see which songs are coming from what service. We've talked a lot around the office about ways to make the service shuffle work out better but it remains a tricky subject. Thanks for the suggestions guys and I'll be sure to pass on your interest to the development team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Due to the lack of Sonos responding on this subject, you'll have to do the selection manually. I agree, it's a shame.
I have several very long playlists from different music services. I want to cancel one of the services. Is there a way to quickly see a list of songs from each playlist and which service they are from? Or do I need to click through each song one by one?
I can only express my disappointment with SONOS. Their attitude towards "few" of us, part of millions of loyal customers may be really insignificant, but we ask them (some even begged) to add a simple feature and after almost 4 years, they keep "LISTENING"!!
This denotes a shortsighted strategy and a prehistoric way of conducting their business. Sadly, we have to respect their approach, but just remember..... customer satisfaction and proactive response from the counterpart is what makes companies consistently grow, or to wake up after so much listening, and realize the market changes FAST. Remember a company named RIM (Research In Motion)? Blackberry rings a bell? They also "listened" for requests of their customers to open BBM app (Blackberry Messenger) and make it capable to communicate with other platforms. They had no reason to do it as their share was largely the biggest of the smartphone marker with 41% in 2010. Just take a look now where RIM stands. They have 1.2% of the marketshare. "PROFESSIONAL LISTENERS" decided to do something when the ballgame was in another park.
SONOS, keep sharpening your listening skills and sleeping tight.
Our requests will probably be received by some other company providing us a solution or even a better way to deal with this issue.

In the meantime, Thanks for listening!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Just an idea.
As you can save anything you have access to to a playlist, do those saved items from a paid streaming service get watermarked so that a playlist can't be saved and copied onto a system (another speaker) that is not a subscriber to that service. Or conversely, could a "track" ( a url) be copied to a diferent system and bypass the subscription?
If so, then not being able to save and copy playlists must be as a result of licensing permissions - and the burgeoning complexity of subscribed services.
Just looked into doing this after our Sonos office playlist got randomly wiped, along with the backups, some time ago. How hard is it to just save this information to a file the user has access to, instead of to the cloud? Even an excel file or .csv with Artist and Title information for each track would be enough, how has this not been added in THREE YEARS?

Pretty disappointed with Sonos overall, to be honest. Internet drops out, all the tracks vanish, and now this. I'm trying to improve a faulty product myself and they're stopping me. Might as well just buy a jukebox
I have sonos on 2 different locations A and B , i changed one device from A to the other location B, and unfortunately the playlists of B and alarms of B are gone when having added one single device in B coming from A .

There seems no way back to recover the playlists from location B in location B after having added one single Sonos device in location B coming from location A

This is not nice. A lot of effort has gone.
Please avoid this beheaviour of Sonos in the future releases.
I have 2 Sonos systems in 2 different locations. Music files are on a NAS in each location, which are cloud synced - the exact same music is in each location automatically. But I have no way to share/sync playlists. REALLY need this! Please give me some way to export/import or sync playlists across 2 separate Sonos systems!