Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We do not have immediate information available about the precise regional distribution of the original CR200 manufacturing build nor do we know precisely about currently inventory levels within distribution of remaining CR200 from the original manufacturing build. We can say that based on the volumes of CR200s that have shipped from the original build that it is unlikely, although not impossible, that all original CR200s have worked their way out of our distribution channel.

Sincerely
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the update and please bear in mind that I sincerely feel that Sonos stands behind their product and will do the correct thing in a quality matter like this.

It is one thing to not have information pertaining to what still exists in the inventory of retailers which I quite understand. However it is quite another thing to say you don't have records pertaining to the regional distribution of the original CR200's that had this issue. At the very least you must have records of the serial numbers involved and the countries where these CR200's were originally shipped to.

I for one would like to know if any of the defective CR200's was shipped to Amazon for shipments to US customers. Can you at least give me a clue?
Userlevel 3
Hello NYC Guy,

It's safe to say the original units shipped into world wide distribution, including Amazon, back in mid-2009.

Mike
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello NYC Guy,

It's safe to say the original units shipped into world wide distribution, including Amazon, back in mid-2009.

Mike

Hopefully the CR200 I received from Amazon in Dec. 2010 was produced well past that point!

By the way, I own several Pioneer Elite components and they had an issue with some of their blu-ray players. Pioneer sent out an email alert to all registered owners of that particular BD player and alerted people as to which serial numbers to be on the lookout for which they knew were problematic and might have to be returned. It was a proactive move on their part. Sonos should really consider doing this for the CR200's with the affected serial numbers which were known issues based on the authorized RGA's that have been made you. While you are standing behind the product and replacing them from anyone that complains, that is a reactive move. Alerting us is also a strong PR move and will only pay you dividends in the long run and also at the same time enhance your company's reputation!
We can say that based on the volumes of CR200s that have shipped from the original build that it is unlikely, although not impossible, that all original CR200s have worked their way out of our distribution channel.

Thanks for the update on this issue Mike. It is good to see you interacting in the forums.

What i understand from your post is:
  • the initial batch of CR200 had a problem causing a fairly low, but still unacceptable, failure rate
  • units from this batch are still probably still out there in unsold retail stocks

I also understand that you have extended your warranty period to compensate for this problem.

There have been reports here of people who have had failures, then followed by failures of their replacement units. I think I saw a post from a guy who had four failures to date. My own unit failed, and now it's replacement unit is starting to fail also. ... These replacement units are coming from Sonos, not the retail channel.

Would it be possible to change your procedures such that replacements are shipped from the batch that you have no reason to suspect will fail, rather than from the batch that you know sometimes fails? As I said in my earlier post it is great that Sonos are standing behind this failure, but the incident is not without cost to the customer. One failure per customer is enough IMO.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Mike,
I have a short follow-up question. Are the replacements that you are shipping refurbished or brand new CR200's?
Userlevel 3
Any CR200 issue that is related to a touch panel failure will be replaced based on our stated warranty. The original manufactured CR200 stock has been long since depleted at Sonos.
Interesting I received a replacement for a replacement i.e. unit 1 failed last July after 6 months, the replacement unit has just failed and been replaced today.

The replacement unit came with an invoice that describes it as "Sonos Controller 200 Refurbished UK"

Were it to be found that my failed unit was not faulty or had in some way failed at my hands I would be rather upset to be charged the new price for a refurbished unit.

To be fair I doubt this would happen and at any rate after my lack of success a new CR200 is not on my Sonos shopping list. That aside I should stress I'm very happy with the rest of my Sonos purchases and with the support provided for the failed units, but it would be better if they hadn't failed.

Ken
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Any CR200 issue that is related to a touch panel failure is replaced with a new CR200. The original manufactured CR200 stock has been long since depleted at Sonos.

Then you still have the problem - I had three before giving up and using my Ipad and Ipod Touch. It is an issue you guys really need to get to grips with because it spoils an otherwise excellent system. BTW I really liked the CR200 Controller and it would have been perfect for controlling the Sonos System if it had had a touchscreen of Ipod quality - which at it's price point it should have.

P.S. I gave mine very light use as I had the Apple alternatives - without these alternatives I would have had to sell the system.

No good without a reliable controller!
Userlevel 1
Badge
My unit was replaced a couple of months back and has just failed again (UK). I wouldnt think it's been used more than 15 minutes.

Can't you do something to ensure the replacements supplied in the UK are going to be OK if it is a batch issue......

K
Userlevel 2
Happy to say that my replacement controller arrived today and works perfectly.

The whole procedure is a credit to Sonos. Well done!

An easy, straightforward transaction, efficiently dealt with, in a timely manner. What more could one ask for? (apart from it not breaking down in the first place thatis :rolleyes:)

Fingers crossed that history doesn't repeat itself.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Happy to say that my replacement controller arrived today and works perfectly.

The whole procedure is a credit to Sonos. Well done!

An easy, straightforward transaction, efficiently dealt with, in a timely manner. What more could one ask for? (apart from it not breaking down in the first place thatis :rolleyes:)

Fingers crossed that history doesn't repeat itself.

Keep both sets of fingers and maybe your toes crossed if my experience and that of others is anything to go by.
Userlevel 2
My fourth CR200 has just failed.
First CR200 received 25/11/09, failed 14/06/10.
Second (replacement) failed 15/11/10.
Third (replacement) failed 24/01/11.
Fourth (replacement) failed 02/05/11.

Each of the first three units was replaced efficiently, without fuss. Each time I asked for assurances that this hardware fault had been ironed out, my questions were ignored.
Each unit then failed with exactly the same touchscreen problem. Clearly, if there was a bad batch then Sonos would not keep sending out controllers from that batch.
If it is not a bad batch then it can only be a more serious hardware fault which has not been resolved. Why not own up?
Do you still have your recently failed unit?

If you go to its Settings menu, and take the last option ("About My Sonos System").

Have a look at the Controller's serial number.
Using the pattern xx-xx-xx-YY-xx-xx-x

What is the YY value?

I think that the bad batches had yy less than 07.
Userlevel 2
I have this exact same issue. Certain letters on the on-screen keyboard can't be accessed at all which has pretty much rendered the CR200 unusable. It seems to be focused iin 2 or 3 patches on the screen. I bought it 5 months ago as part of a big multi-room system, and it has been fine until about 3 days ago.

I've emailed tech support so hopefully they'll help resolve it quickly.

Seems weird that this has happened so widely and so simultaneously. Almost like something in software has corrupted them all, but I guess that's not the case.

Jules
Userlevel 2
Any CR200 issue that is related to a touch panel failure is replaced with a new CR200. The original manufactured CR200 stock has been long since depleted at Sonos.

Recieved a "refurbished" replacement controller yesterday??? I'm pleased with the support process of replacing the controller on such short notice and I am (for the moment) convinced that Sonos did send me a controller without the known problem.
Userlevel 2
I have just had mine replaced, amazing service. I could select artist on the menu, only above and below. Got my new one today, no probs so far.
Badge
Oh well, there goes another one! I've lost track, but think that is number four.

The same problem in roughly the same place (bottom right of the screen).
Strangely there is a patch halfway up the left of the screen that is fine on the select zone screen and indeed most screens but consistently can't be selected on the Zone Grouping screen. I can only select the third zone in my list by pressing against the very edge (and I mean 1mm) of the screen in line with that zone. Bizarre

My serial number is an '07'

As per previous posts, I use the unit infrequently and don't let it get wet or dropped. I have done a reset, factory reset, removed the battery, updated software and anything else I can think of.
You're having some bad luck with the controllers there mate. I wonder if some other electrical or magnetic equipment has an affect on the CR200?
Badge
I was wondering the same thing. I think I will have to try it in another spot, which is a pity as it was good where it was.
Userlevel 2
"... Sonos has continued extremely detailed testing and analysis of all reported and returned CR200s that were suspected to have exhibited a touch panel failure from our customer base. Based on our findings, our original analysis, that only a small number of CR200s were affected from an original manufacturing build, remains true..."

I'm sorry but I don't rate that at all and I find it hard to believe in fact.

..."suspected to have exhibited a touch panel failure"? I love the covering of your arse.

This situation is bullshit. I'm sorry, but I don't know what you pay for them in the States, but out here they are $400 which is just obscene for what that are, let alone the fact that they are completely unreliable and basically Chinese rubbish! I'm now on my 3rd controller! Why can I buy a $25 touch screen phone that works flawlessly, but a $400 Sonos controller can't quite seem to make this happen? It is an absolute disgrace and almost enough for me to ditch the whole system! I don't care how quickly they replace them, it should not have happened in the first place!

I am NOT impressed!!!
If this is still happening then surely it can't just be for a particular batch? Are they still producing flawed ones now then?
Userlevel 2
If this is still happening then surely it can't just be for a particular batch? Are they still producing flawed ones now then?
This would seem the case JohnG.

I can't belive the number of people here that are making excuses for this rubbish product - everything from the way it's cleaned to the way it's put back in the charger. Good grief, let's use the phone comparison again - they get thrown around everywhere, constantly touched and missed-touched, left in hot cars, kept in pockets, bags etc etc. But remain reliable. So let's cut the making excuses for what is basically a rubbish product that was obviously released onto the market at a premium price (because they could), but was either designed very poorly, or manufuactured with very poor quailty control. Either way, I feel ripped off.

The unfortunate spin off is that on two occasions that I was demonstrating the significant advantages of the Sonos system to friends, the controllers failed - leaving me red-faced and Sonos definitely loosing two potential new customers. (This happened again tonight, which is why I am so annoyed at present!).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ok, so we purchased 2 CR200s when they first came out and they have worked fine until last week when I tried to add a radio show to the queue.

We had never tried this before and it failed because of a dead spot. The other CR200 worked fine when I tried the same operation.

Emailed Sonos and asked what the process was to get it replaced. Instant reply, return label and they even sent out the replacement before I returned the faulty unit.

Two days after my first email and we have the replacement unit which is working fine so far.

This is great customer service. Things go wrong for every company, it is how they correct it that matters. Sonos score high on this one!!

I still prefer the CR100 to the CR200 but that is another matter.
Userlevel 2
This is great customer service. Things go wrong for every company, it is how they correct it that matters. Sonos score high on this one!!
Yes I agree, they are at least doing the right thing in this regard and that is to be recognised and applauded. However, I am very concerned that there are still replacement units being sent out that are no better. I only had mine replaced less than 6 months ago. We are now half way through 2011 - how long has the CR200 been out for?, and yet it would seem there are still faulty units being shipped.

If I thought I could get my money back for it I would go that way and use the money to buy a wireless modem and an iPod touch (good grief though, I never thought I'd have to buy an Apple product just to use my Sonos!).
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Gave up on the CR200 when mine was replaced for the third time - bought one new and one second hand CR100 and I have got to say I prefer them. Much more robust and cheap as chips now. I love the plethora of hardware buttons - much better.

In the market for more CR100s and will wall mount them around the house.

Cannot seem to get cradles cheap however - they seem to go for half the price of a decent controller.