Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
"At the same time, it has developed another problem: When in the charging cradle, with motion sensor set to be off when in the cradle, unit turns on 8 seconds after turning off. I've had to disable the sensor completely. I've contacted Sonos, and I'm waiting for their answer."

Although I haven't counted, mine seems to be doing the same thing. While in the cradle, it never stays asleep. I have reset the controller, restarted the controller, verified settings, everything.

If in the cradle, it goes to sleep and then a few seconds later, pops back on, 1 minute after that (my setting), it goes to sleep and then pops back on.

What's going on here?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Just had my CR200 replaced with similar "dead spot" issues - excellent RMA service from Sonos - bit worrying after only a couple of months of very light use and in view of the £259 price tag!!
Userlevel 2
Well here we go again. See my thread on 19th August. Controller number 3 has developed the dreaded dead spot. This time at the bottom of the screen and all in less than one year. Is this a record?

I cannot believe that Sonos keep sending these rubbish devices out, especially when they are aware of them. Prior to receiving the third unit I specifically asked them if the problem had been resolved, only to get the corporate reply 'we are not aware of any problems'. Followed by the two year warranty email - at least that was a big plus for Sonos.

I should have guessed if I got the email I had a suspect unit (why did they send a possible suspect unit out - did they hope it might be okay). Let's hope that when this one is replaced it's from a new better batch.
Badge
I can't compete with your record of three, but have just hit two. Sonos very efficiently replaced a faulty CR200 for me back in April but now that unit is playing up. This time it is a large section, the entire top right 3/4 of the screen. I have tried reseting, removing the battery etc. I barely use the thing, I generally listen whilst using my laptop so use the controller on that, so it is definitely not through abuse. I guess I will be calling Sonos again tomorrow and seeing if they can repeat their great customer service.
Userlevel 2
HI
I have had 2 controllers replaced without quibble due to dead spot in exactly same place each time, it was the line on the screen above the action bar, hardware fault and sonos have extended the warrenty to 24 months from purchase date. Not convinced it has been resolved, have written to CEO asking for assurances but no reply as yet. Just send it back through the right channels and claim a new one if within 2 years of purchase
Badge
Yes, I called the Sonos representative in Australia and they said much the same: send it back and they would assess it for re-replacement. They seemed to know about the problem and implied that I must have been unlucky to get a replacement from the same faulty batch, before they know which units were affected.

Now I just have to wait
Badge
The new controller arrived promptly, and without dramas.

Having a problem in the first place was annoying, but Sonos certainly looked after me well. Thank you
Userlevel 2
Have ZP90 & CR200 for 1-1/2 months (maybe longer) and like it a lot. The lower touch sensitive area (lower row-button) doesn't respond well to touch. Many times it needs to be pressed 5, 6, even 10 times before the function will actuate. I try pushing with finger, thumb, sideways, etc. and the lower button isn't working. Help!

-Gregory
Gregory,

See other sufferers in this thread. Your best bet is to contact Sonos Support.
Userlevel 2
Gregory,

See other sufferers in this thread. Your best bet is to contact Sonos Support.

Thank you. My controller was lazy from the day I started using it. Wouldn't call the lower button area dead, just that it can take between 5 and 10 presses before the selection is activates sometimes. Other times it works ok. Still like Sonos a LOT!!

-Gregory
Userlevel 2
Hi
As expected the 2nd of my 2 cr200 controllers failed last week

Again the lower part of the screen became unresponsive. It lasted about the same lentgh of time as the first(approx 10months light use)

Sonos have been very efficient in exchanging it with no fuss at all.

So I now have 2 new controllers swapped out within 6months of eachother with the remaining 9months of the extended warranty to expire.

Here's hoping they will last a lot longer than the originals!

ATB

FB
Userlevel 2
The new controller arrived promptly, and without dramas.

Having a problem in the first place was annoying, but Sonos certainly looked after me well. Thank you

I guess that's good news. I bought mine just 4 months ago, would not have been used more than about 20 or 30 times, as I prefer the 100 controller, and as of yesterday when I was showing off the system to friends, the row above the bottom menu line stopped responding. So no pause, forward or back buttons etc. As all of you, I am not impressed at all, and the fact that I was talking up the quality of sonos products and their reliabilty, I am now felling very let down - even more so reading all these issues. Guess that's what happens when you ship your production into the caves of some Asian country!

Such a shame Sonos.
Badge
There goes number three!!! I barely use the thing so am baffled as to what causes it. I wonder if a CR300 is due any time soon?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
There goes number three!!! I barely use the thing so am baffled as to what causes it. I wonder if a CR300 is due any time soon?

Not of merchantable quality! Sold my third one as soon as it arrived.

Buy an Fourth Generation Ipod Touch - much more useful for the money.
Userlevel 2
My CR200 has also started playing up in the last week or so. The bottom zone of the screen, particularly the right hand side, is not responding to touch control. This is really annoying as that is where the most important controls are.

I wasn't aware of the problem before, but then I discovered this thread and find that it seems to have been going on for a while, even though it is repeatedly said that it only effects a "small" number of controllers.

Worryingly, I've read that Sonos emailed all customers whose serial numbers fall in the effected range, but I did not get the message. Maybe the problem is even more widespread that Sonos realise?

The CR200 came in a BU250 bundle I bought from Audio-T less than a year ago, so I've reported the problem to them and am waiting for a reply. I had hoped that they would replace it themselves but, reading this thread, I guess that I'll have to deal directly with Sonos themselves. Hopefully that won't be too arduous.

I've been really happy with my Sonos kit; I hope this isn't the thin end of the wedge for long-term reliability.
The CR200 came in a BU250 bundle I bought from Audio-T less than a year ago, so I've reported the problem to them and am waiting for a reply. I had hoped that they would replace it themselves but, reading this thread, I guess that I'll have to deal directly with Sonos themselves. Hopefully that won't be too arduous.
Contact Sonos Support directly. It would help if you sent a system diagnostic first, with the CR200 awake. That way they will have your customer details and the CR200 serial number. Note the diag reference and quote it in the support ticket.

The replacement process should in no way be arduous. Their support activities are generally smooth and friendly.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Ratty. I've done that.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am really curious as to what percentage of the CR200's which have developed the dead spots happened to purchasers located in the UK? Another poster earlier in this multi page thread asked the exact same thing.

Perhaps we should start a poll on this?

I ordered my CR200 in December from Amazon and I am in the US. Has anyone else who ordered from Amazon experienced this issue?
NYC Guy,

Manufacturers are loath to share reliability data with anyone. This thread is much like a hospital -- after the tour one is certain that "everyone" is sick. Unfortunately, one cannot know much about the general population simply by walking through the hospital wards. Also, we could point to a particular social function, restaurant, building, or block where almost everyone is afflicted with a common illness, but this still does not say much about the general population. This particular issue seems to be a characteristic of a particular batch of units, but we don't know what percentage of this batch is at risk.

Little and big glitches can happen to any manufacturer. Most of us are probably aware of a recent issue with a certain cellphone. Millions of units are affected and continue to be affected. Was the manufacturer's response reasonable? It is an interesting case because millions of units continue to be sold to willing customers who are aware of the issue prior purchase.

A manufacturer shows its true mettle by the way it handles problems such as this.
Userlevel 2
Badge

A manufacturer shows its true mettle by the way it handles problems such as this.

I totally agree with what you have stated. That being said and after reading all of the posts made in this thread it just seemed that the majority of the complaints concerning the defective screens on the CR200's were from users in the UK.

Therefore curious minds would like to know how prevalent the issue is for CR200's sold in the US.
Badge
I have to agree with Buzz. I've just received my fourth unit, with no hassle whatsoever. I guess I could be very annoyed at having three units fail on me but I'm actually very impressed with how well Sonos have handled things.

Remember that Sonos will have sold thousands of these controllers but that people having no problems don't tend to resort to the forums so this thread only represents a small proportion of customers.

It is a bit odd that all my failed screens have been a row up from the bottom right though.
It is possible that many or most of the affected units were shipped to the EU or the Britts are a whiney bunch that expect things to work!

Each model tends to have a characteristic failure mode(s) that could change over time. For someone very familiar with model 'x', all a customer needs do do is mention the model number and the service staff already knows what is wrong -- without hearing the symptoms. This does not mean that all of model 'x' will break, but those that do, have the same issue.

I don't know exactly what the root cause of the CR200 failure is. Since it requires some time to develop, this could be due to some sort of surface contamination issue. At a certain production step, the raw screen, a PC board, or connector could go through some sort of cleaning or surface preparation process that was not working uniformly and a contamination film is left behind -- in a characteristic spot that affects the lower areas of the screen. Initially the screen or whatever is not affected, but after a while it takes on some moisture and things go down hill.

I've seen liquid spills behave this way. A sugary drink enters a unit and seems to dry and the unit works fine -- for a while. Over time the sugar takes on some water from the atmosphere and acids form. The acids are erratically conductive and they can eventually consume metal parts. A single drop can bring a unit down months after the spill has been forgotten.
it just seemed that the majority of the complaints concerning the defective screens on the CR200's were from users in the UK.

When mine failed, in Australia, I asked the local support person whether they were seeing many of these failures. He said that that they were having a few, but it wasn't a very large percentage of the units shipped. I got the impression that the failure call was not an unusual event for them.

It is a bit odd that all my failed screens have been a row up from the bottom right though.

Yes mine failed there too. The first thing that happens is that the alphabetic speed dial fails at about "T". This has just started happening to the replacement unit also now. If it follows the path of the 1st unit it will get to the point where the "i" button and the Now Playing button (music symbol on the Music menu screen) will become very difficult to select. The backspace key on the search facility's keypad is already difficult to select.

I've seen liquid spills behave this way. A sugary drink enters a unit and seems to dry and the unit works fine -- for a while. Over time the sugar takes on some water from the atmosphere and acids form. The acids are erratically conductive and they can eventually consume metal parts. A single drop can bring a unit down months after the spill has been forgotten.

I may have been guilty of cleaning the 1st unit with a damp cloth, but this 2nd unit has had the most TLC as far a dampness goes.

It is good that Sonos have been great with regard to replacements and extending the warranty, however the incident is not without cost to the customer. Firstly you have to freight the damaged unit back to them, and then you have to chose a time when you can be without a controller for around a week.

I have asked twice on these forums whether there is any assurance that the faulty batches have been cleared out of retail stocks. There has been no answer to this question. I certainly wouldn't be buying a second controller without such an assurance.
Userlevel 2
?.... or the Britts are a whiney bunch that expect things to work

To right we do. I'm on my fifth controller in a little over a year. Maybe you would like to change your remote as often as us whining Brits do.
Userlevel 3
Hello All,

As always, if you are experiencing any sort of malfunction with your CR200 please contact our support team for further analysis.

Specific to the CR200 touch panel issue that was communicated to our CR200 customer base in August 2010, Sonos has continued extremely detailed testing and analysis of all reported and returned CR200s that were suspected to have exhibited a touch panel failure from our customer base. Based on our findings, our original analysis, that only a small number of CR200s were affected from an original manufacturing build, remains true.

That being said, of course it’s plausible that a touch panel can exhibit a failure, regardless of manufacturing build.

We do not have immediate information available about the precise regional distribution of the original CR200 manufacturing build nor do we know precisely about currently inventory levels within distribution of remaining CR200 from the original manufacturing build. We can say that based on the volumes of CR200s that have shipped from the original build that it is unlikely, although not impossible, that all original CR200s have worked their way out of our distribution channel.

Sincerely
Mike