Answered

Dark theme request

• 28 December 2017
  • 58 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Unless you are participating in a private beta that may or may not be happening, you aren't going to get any more information until Sonos decides to release it to the public. This is their policy, and complaining about it is an exercise in futility.

I wasn't complaining as much as i was expressing my skepticism about that statement of their being no information.

If sonos is not willing to have an (open) conversation with their customers, they shouldn't pretend otherwise. And the reactions of this forum have made it clear that quite some of us do expect a more open communication after this screw up.

The same holds for the beta. That should be open for feedback to ensure issues are dealt with piror to a release - instead of some debugging gimmick to entertain the incrowd. Something that clearly did not happen with 8.0

Even more important, lashing out at Sonos employees about it is unfair, for they do not set the policy.
This is nothing to do with Keith as a person. It's reaction against a (spokesperson of) sonos, And since he's one of the few that actually does 'talk to customers', he does have the honor of receiving our feedback, so he can pass it on to whomever is responsible for this mess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think enough people have complained about "too much white" that we hopefully get less use of white in the next version of the controller that is supposedly fairly imminent.
Oh please. You all know the people here are limited as to what they can say, and there is nothing they can do about it. To use them as surrogate punching bags over that policy is not only rude, it is cowardly. I find it hysterical that the same people who object to my tone when dealing with users who can fight back find nothing wrong with a similar tone (and sometimes much worse) with someone who has to eat it as part of their job.

As my father used to say:

"Why do people abuse waitresses?"

"Because they can."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What one person wants and another wants can be completely different. I'm sure there are those that like white parts. A less stark version I'm sure would be fairly welcome. Short of color preference by user. something Sonos has always frowned on - customization. As they want everyone to have exact same experience (yes call it good or bad they want it same from house to house). I don't see customization coming but without that I'm sure everyone will have their good bad things they like about overall color.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
that would be a great excuse if we were buying physical components and want our receiver to come in every permutation of 00,00,00-ff,ff,ff ... but this is software:)

how about we make the UI forced changes as slow and requiring final opt-in by the user, corresponding with the drag feet over a dark theme, and then we will have something. 😉
Despite what you claim about forced updates, every Sonos update is optional, but once one device updates, every device must be updated. I suggest you turn off auto updates on your mobile devices and turn off checking for updates on the Sonos app. You can then "opt in" to any Sonos update you wish.
Oh please. You all know the people here are limited as to what they can say, and there is nothing they can do about it. To use them as surrogate punching bags over that policy is not only rude, it is cowardly.

So what do you suggest we do than to express our dissatisfaction with a policy that leaves us in the dark - luckily we have the app to fix that 😉 - besides addressing that issue in the only meaningful communication channel we have available?

And just to be clear. Like quite some, I basically had no need to communicate with sonos in more than 5 year, until 8.x made it clear I couldn't just trust sonos to do the right thing. And not being open and honest in their communication isn't exactly fixing that issue, on the contrary..

It's a question of tone, not topic. Accusing people of willfully withholding information when you very well know it is company policy which tells them to withhold information, not a personal display of disdain towards the customer, is both rude and cowardly. These guys are merely following orders, taking your anger over a policy or UI change out on them, especially when they cannot fight back, isn't going to change anything. Matter of fact, if I were in their place, I would willfiully ignore any requests from users who were rude to me. It would be the only fighting back I could do, and I would most certainly do it.
It doesn't take too much reading between the lines to see that response and figure out "I have no information" is corporate speak for "I have no information that I'm allowed to give". One would have to be stupid not to realize this. Either that, or one is being willfully obtuse because they want an excuse to abuse people who are just following orders.

Either way, you can find the CEOs email and Twitter account online. Feel free to route anger at the disclosure policy directly to him, thus leaving those who do not set the policy, only follow it, out of the path of your wrath. Even better, you could simply accept the fact that their policy is their policy, and you aren't going to change it no matter how much you whine.
I complain about tone when addressing those who cannot fight back. Context is everything.

Did you email or tweet the CEO yet? Or are we just here to abuse the underlings?

Anyway, so far no news of going back to black, not even in between the lines of the Pravda. :)

And by the way:

Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around.

The team is listening and working to incorporate your feedback into the new app. You'll see some changes coming to the next versions of the app. They're looking into the brightness of the app and working on ways to balance the contrast. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing and please let us know what you think as the app develops.

Not Pravda. Just the main announcement thread for the new app version.

You're welcome. 😃
And if you would have scrolled up, you would've read.the statement we were discussing, which literally states there are no plans to go back to black.
As of now, I have no information about a Dark Mode, but I am happy to pass this along to the team as a feature request. Thank you for the feedback!

Your welcome ;)

Ryan's post was after the one you quote, a mere 19 hours ago, which would make it about 3 o'clock San Diego time. Things change, bub. It is almost like Sonos has finalized a release and gave the go ahead late on a Friday for their reps to start giving more details on what is in it, indicating the release may be coming real soon. But nah, Sonos would never do that, they don't respect their customers! 🆒
Uhhhh, I believe they actually did share it. First you complain they never share. Now when they do share, you complain about how much they share and call it placating. Then after weeks of complaining about no quick releases addressing the problems, you now complain about them possibly releasing too soon without adequate testing? Well, goalposts successfully moved! Guess there is just no, uhhh, placating you. :8

And once again, you have no idea what type of testing has been done on any release. The vast majority of releases have no public beta testing. That has no bearing on the extent of private testing done. Stop making assumptions which are not supported by facts.
I've called to task two members today who go out of their way to attack me and others every chance they get simply for disagreeing with them. I've helped dozens in other threads. Do the math.
Maybe they think people who are never going to be satisfied going forward aren't worth saving as customers. Or maybe I serve the purpose of saying things an actual Sonos rep cannot, but never the less, need to be said. Either way, I'm sorry your effort to get me banned has fallen on deaf ears.

Besides, my responses are in kind to the treatment I get. One only need to look at the abuse heaped on John B and Chris, whose tone is nothing like mine, to see the hypocrisy at work. If you were truly worried about the tone of people's posts and not simply obsessed with me because I disagree and back it up, you would be defending those nice guys who mostly try to help, in addition to those you feel are my "victims".
Yeah because the people calling Sonos employees morons, incompetent, stupid, etc. are not belligerent, demeaning, or insulting? You guys crack me up. Show a little shock at those posts and I'll start believing your faux outrage is actually based on how I post and not what I post.
...... truly unpleasant.

Andrew

Noticed you haven't commented on the poster who compared the new release to an abusive relationship yet, andrew. Does that not meet your definition of "truly unpleasant"?
Oh yeah, John B recovered after being dragged down by me? Is that the fairy tale you are going with? You folks are freaking hysterical. John B is one of the nicest guys in here and his tone is almost always overly helpful and friendly. He was savaged by you and others because he dared to say he liked the new controller and could not understand the hysteria. He was told to shut up and take his help elsewhere because people should be allowed to vent, just for calmly explaining how to properly switch rooms. Oh what a sin! He was being helpful!

Shall I post the links?

And how about the rude and aggressive posts towards Sonos employees who cannot fight back? Calling them morons, incompetents, stupid, useless, calling for firings, etc. How about the over the top posts that say the new app is like an abusive relationship and other such outrageous comparisons? I see no backlash at those posters. Do they not drag other posters down in the mud? Do they not cause people to ignore your argument due to melodrama?

Your selective outrage is duly noted. I think we all can see what is happening here.
Sonos would love it if no one was disrespectful or rude to anyone.
Internet forum language is also commonly terse and to the point and that is something that people that use forums often know. It takes some time to understand this and not read anything more into it. Sonos staff does not use this mode, but that also means that for every post they write, many more can be written in the shorter version by those that can and do use it.

Anyone that wants to see rude, check out Hydrogen Audio. But another immensely useful site if one knows the conventions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Tl;dr
Whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout

Tl;dr
Whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout

Oh Logan, you just can't stay away! :-*

Then again, abuse of Sonos staff is something you know all about, right?
So I'm not allowed to be rude and aggressive to people who can fight back and are rude and aggressive to me, but you and others are allowed to be rude and aggressive to people who are not rude and aggressive, and who cannot fight back, simply because you feel wronged? We agree to disagree. Just like I am required by you to hold back on the rude and aggressive posts (code for "shut up if you disagree with me", just ask Chris and John 😎, so should you be held to the same standard when addressing Sonos employees. You being obsessed with the former while not only defending, but actively participating in the latter is what we call selective outrage. Hypocrisy at its finest.

By the way, have you emailed or tweeted the CEO about your dissatisfaction yet, or are you still going to take it out on the guys just following orders who have no say in either the policy or the design of the UI?
Tldr: jgatie whatabout you guys you are just as rude as I am. Will continue posting what I want how I want.

= Whataboutery + toddler defense

*Sigh*

Love you too, Logan!
So you are going to keep abusing Sonos employees who cannot fight back, blaming them for the policy you feel is disrespectful, instead of contacting those who actually set the policy. At the same time, you keep attacking me for what you see as my abusive behavior?

As I thought, a hypocrite, and a coward.
ceo doesn't have time to read such feedback. If anything, he'll rely on summary reports from his employees (like the community managers, those in charge of social media, running the helpdesks, etc).
You would be surprised; I have received what are clearly self written replies to every email I have sent him. Some are brief, some are longer than expected.

Every CEO however has the problem of having to work the solution via a large organisation, and solutions may not be as immediately forthcoming as you would like them to be.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
As the (mostly) silent third party to this bun-fight, maybe a Sonos rep might like to chime in and defuse the situation.....?