Constant Updates REALLY ANNOYING

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

127 replies

Badge +7
pacificdiver, with all due respect, you avoided Ken_Griffiths question altogether. In fact, you've managed to avoid several people's questions. Is it possible for you to simply answer the question(s) presented without additional colorful commentary?

Please, answer the questions if you are ACTUALLY wanting assistance. Otherwise, users have no choice but to view the continuation of this thread as the delight you must feel at the sound of your own voice.

One cannot help others who chose not to either accept the help, or refuse to admit they need the help. Which is it going to be?
Badge +7
I'm going to agree with @pacificdiver on the argument that reserving IP addresses and other network troubleshooting can be too much for some people. It's not necessarily because they aren't capable of understanding and learning, it's that they are so afraid of tech that they effectively shut down mentally and can't complete the simplist of tasks.

This surprises me, Danny. Please allow me to be very clear. I agree with your statement -- Sonos is not for everybody. That said, I believe there have been several in this community to offer very clear technical assistance. Those same people would likely contact pacificdiver directly via phone/skype and walk him/her through the process. This issue (at least in part) is a set it and forget it proposition. Reserving IPs does not have to be made more complicated, and at least that element of pacificdiver's issue would be addressed (and potentially resolve the problem altogether).

What surprises me about your position is that you appear to be giving pacificdiver an easy out here, whereas what I believe they should really (only my opinion) receive is a solution. You can absolutely offer it, as can others.

FWIW, pacificdiver appears to be very passive aggressive and I'm not convinced they want anything else but to keep repeating the same phrase "updates don't have to be so frequent" ad nausea. If that's truly the case, they need different help, and I doubt we can offer it.
If I was unable to figure out my voltage supply for my table lamp and can’t be 'arsed' to read how to use a simple volt-meter 'quick start' guide, then YES I would agree to leave it to a friend, relative, or pay someone to sort it for me. However to simply ignore everything, do nothing... and sit there in the dark with a 'broken' or 'unusable' lamp and then start complaining and ranting about it, seems simply ludicrous to me.

I would choose to get the few 'easy' things done, that I mentioned in my earlier post above and then come back and complain when things do not work with the Sonos updates after trying that!!

Read the advice in the community, watch the various YouTube videos on how to reserve IP addresses etc.

I’m certainly no networking expert either, it took me less than 3/4 hour, or so, from start to finish, to figure out how to do such things for myself.

Find a mate, or pay for someone to do it, if you can’t be bothered yourself, but don’t start moaning before doing anything. It WILL undoubtedly be a local networking configuration issue in 99.9% of cases. Of that, I’m entirely confident.
This is getting offtrack, but whatever.

I understand your point, and respect it just the same. You often underestimate yourself also, but humility is a great quality to have.

I find that kind of humorous because most people IRL tell me I'm too arrogant.

Perhaps it wasn't obvious, but my intentions were never to attack. I, not unlike several others, lose patience with empty complaints. This is multiplied exponentially when the complaint isn't followed by acknowledging (and to some degree) following the professional advice given.

I didn't think that you were attacking in any way.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I too am getting pissed off with the updates, everytime there’s an update I lose most if not all of my zones for a few hours. WTF are the Sonos software team playing at? Just update it when absolutely necessary rather than every other week. It’s comical that they announce the updates as “performance and reliability improvements” don’t make me laugh. When I bought into the Sonos system 9 years ago it was super reliable, but now it’s lost its usp and other systems are snapping at its heals. Get your bloody fingers out software monkeys or you’ll be out of a job!
I wonder how many of the continuing 'complainers' here in this thread have still chosen not to...

(a) Add their Sonos IP addresses to their routers DHCP Reservation Table?

Sonos Support recommended me NOT to do this when we where troubleshooting my system a while ago.
Do you mean this recommendation has changed?
As my post says T-S, it is one of the first things the 'experienced' community users here suggest to do when the user encounters dropout speaker issues after updating.

Since I personally took that advice onboard, I have never had a single loss/dropout issue with any Sonos update and I can say that is also the case on behalf of family and friends at their homes too... but the other things I mentioned alongside, are also worth considering too, I think, as per my post.

If you have not yet tried these things and are encountering problems with the Sonos updates, then it’s really a matter for you to decide. It’s actually more of a local networking issue, rather than a Sonos related matter, but it appears it has consequential benefits for some routers that may get 'tangled' with (re)issuing IP addresses to multiple devices.

If you are having such similar issues, then the simple answer is to “try it and see” ... there is no problem with doing this in any event, as it simply ensures the network device gets the same IP address and that the address is not issued to any other device. You are giving the speaker a static home with the same network address every time it reboots or your router reboots etc.
I am; not because I find it to be a big nuisance, but because I think it is an unnecessary waste of Sonos resources that ought to have more useful things to do. There is too much of first world problem solving going on these days in these updates.
I'd be willing to bet that the issue is a problem in the OPs network, which is exposed when an update reboots the speakers. I wish that Sonos would (as an option) recommend reserved IP addresses in their instructions. Of course, I suspect the number of issues we see here is high, but actual issues across all users is extremely low.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
What's even MORE frustrating is the fact that when you run into "issues", I'm hearing more and more to just "uninstall the software and reinstall it." That seems to be Sonos' "fix". I hate my three thousand dollar investment more and more, everyday. We all know how awful the new UI is, so I won't get into THAT part of the incredible amount of problems with Sonos has, today.
Even with reserved IP addresses and the update process itself sorted at my end, I agree about the annoying part. And these days they seems like a knee jerk response, where one update to fix something in the existing version screws up something else, calling for another update. And so it goes.
Apparently the larger market gets bored of looking at the same app too often and since hardware changes are unwieldy and expensive, this is how the product is made to look new. Curse of the age we live in, if that be the case, this need for constant titillation. I doubt Sonos is alone in this nonsense, so there is little to be gained by migrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I promise not to bitch about update frequency as long as Sonos doesn't break or remove important functions that I use. Things like the dark background mode come to mind.
Userlevel 3
Me. I'm sick of it as well. I especially dislike the fact that I'm unable to use my system while the update is pending. There is nothing so critical that it can't wait until after I'm done. Yes, it only takes a few minutes, but it's an interruption I don't need.
Me. I'm sick of it as well. I especially dislike the fact that I'm unable to use my system while the update is pending. There is nothing so critical that it can't wait until after I'm done. Yes, it only takes a few minutes, but it's an interruption I don't need.
Then you mustn't update the Sonos App first, because in that case the system insists on being updated as well.
[...] And I also don't appreciate having to filter out the "thousand-reply club" (people like ratty and Airgetlam) trying to convince users like me who are agitated with the stability of the platform that we are imagining things by implication. I don't care if your system is stable, good for you, but sonos-support is not a hobby of mine so I don't have the time and focus you do, I just want the thing to work reliably without visiting support forums, and it hasn't for some time now.
As an problem-solving approach, restart you router followed by the Sonos units. In case you have any Wifi extenders, disconnect those during the procedure.
I just want the thing to work reliably without visiting support forums, and it hasn't for some time now.
Submit a diagnostic and call Sonos Support then. That's what they're there for.
Userlevel 2
I'm starting to get annoyed by the constant updates. I've got about 5 controller devices including my phone, tablet, laptop etc... Sonos needs to make the updates more transparent eg like how the most popular web browser does them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My guess is the programmers for Sonos are 20-somethings that have no idea how to orchestrate a software platform for long-term use. It's just "well, we found a tiny bug that will affect 1 out 300 million users, so let's force an update to bring everyone up to speed. I'd bet the underlying code is buggy and patchy and that's why it needs constant attention. Stable, professionally-created software does not need to be updated every other week, and it certainly doesn't create the headaches that EVERY update causes in the Sonos environment. There's nothing more wonderful than having to run around the office, reconnecting all of the speakers that seemingly disappear after every update. And no, I don't feel like restarting routers, resetting speakers, and assigning new IP addresses ever time Sonos decides I need to have the controller updated to include Swahili.
Drivel.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
My guess is the programmers for Sonos are 20-somethings that have no idea how to orchestrate a software platform for long-term use. It's just "well, we found a tiny bug that will affect 1 out 300 million users, so let's force an update to bring everyone up to speed................
Drivel.

Yep, Total drivel.

Andrew S.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yep, Total drivel.

Would either of you care to back that up with some facts? Anything other than "drivel?" The system forces updates every couple of weeks. That's ridiculous. If you don't see that, well, no one can help you. Perhaps you should start your own wireless music system and create software that requires daily updates, that way you could "out-update" Sonos and be king of the mountain.
Badge +7
As stated, best to submit a diagnostic report immediately after noticing any error(s) with your Sonos system.

That's not to say complications are a figment of your imagination, as anything great also comes with sacrifice. But if we're to look at this purely from a desired results standpoint, complaining in a forum and choosing not to follow it with an action plan to actually correct your issue is not only a waste of your time, but also everyone else's.

I have no way of knowing whether or not you've contacted support directly, so please dismiss without prejudice if you've also done that legwork to no avail. It's perfectly acceptable to voice concerns, as that's one part of what this forum offers, but more often than not those complaints are empty and those expressing them have done nothing to actually help themselves.

My hope, personally, is that you do not fall into this aforementioned segment of Sonos users.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Would either of you care to back that up with some facts? Anything other than "drivel?" The system forces updates every couple of weeks. That's ridiculous.
You made numerous assertions without any supporting evidence. The onus is on you. We could start with your statement that there are system updates 'every couple of weeks'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Would either of you care to back that up with some facts? Anything other than "drivel?" The system forces updates every couple of weeks. That's ridiculous.
You made numerous assertions without any supporting evidence. The onus is on you. We could start with your assertion that there are system updates 'every couple of weeks'.

My assertions are the evidence, and they correlate with others posting the same issues. I've contacted support and they've told me the update frequency is normal, and that sometimes the connections will have to be reestablished. Therein lies the problem =>> too many updates. I'd have less frustration with the issue of connectivity, if the updates took place quarterly, but when they come in twice in a two week period - that's ridiculous.

No onus on my end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My assertions are the evidence
Ah, right. Gotcha.

My assertions are the evidence, and they correlate with others posting the same issues. I've contacted support and they've told me the update frequency is normal, and that sometimes the connections will have to be reestablished. Therein lies the problem =>> too many updates. I'd have less frustration with the issue of connectivity, if the updates took place quarterly, but when they come in twice in a two week period - that's ridiculous.

No onus on my end.

10.1 was released yesterday. 10.0 was released January 29. 9.3, the previous release, was November 28 of last year. That's at least two months between each, not a "couple of weeks".

So there's one piece of drivel.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Hi folks,

We release updates to add in new features, and fixes. Many of these features are requests from customers. There's no way to add features to the system without updating it. You can, however, choose to disable updates on your system to prevent update messages. Over time, however, some functions may cease to work as music services update their security protocols, for example.

There are 2 steps to disabling updates. You can first do so within the Sonos app's settings menu, under the system updates menu. This will prevent your speakers from checking for updates periodically. The second step is to go into the settings on your controllers (all of them), and disable automatic updates in the app stores. This will prevent your controllers from checking for updates from time to time. If any controller on your system checks for updates, the system itself will acknowledge an update and prompt you to do so. If any of your speakers or controllers update, there will be limited functionality until they are all updated as the system is not designed to run on multiple versions at once.

Really? There are no options on the Desktop PC or the CR200 to disable auto-updates.