Question

BUG REPORT: Error Code 913 attempting to add Windows Folder to Music Library

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor I
  • 4 replies

This exact error has been widely reported here, but mostly for Macs. None of the official accepted “answers” for Windows provide a solution.

Running Sonos Controller for Windows 16.2.

This all started when I repped some of my CDs and tried to re-index the folder. It hung for hours. I let it run overnight, and it was still hanging. I closed and restarted the app. After that, any attempts to access the Music folder - or any subfolder - fails with the 913 error code.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Controller. That has NO effect on this failure.

The Controller either suddenly won’t support WIndolws Folders, or it leaves some “residue” during indexing that cannot be removed by uninstalling the app. It could be hidden properties on the folders themselves, hidden Windows Registry keys, something.

49 replies

Userlevel 2

I am getting the same error, but I did not re-index the folder.

Some recent update to the Sonos app caused my local music library to disappear from available services. I went to the Sonos app on my Windows 11 computer to try to share the folder, using “Music Library Settings” from the “Manage” menu, clicked “Add”, navigated to the folder containing the library, and clicked “Next”.  After a few moments, I got the error “Sonos was unable to add the shared folder”, with the error code 913.

As with the previous user, this is in Windows, so the suggested solutions for MacOS do not apply.

Sonos, please fix this bug ASAP!!!!

What is the use of spending several hundred dollars on speakers when they cannot play any of my music??????

Userlevel 2

… None of the official accepted “answers” for Windows provide a solution.

Amending to add: The proposed “Network Share” that keeps making the rounds as “The Solution” is not. There is no “Sonos Wireless WiFi System”. I have the Roam SL  2 speaker. There is no “System”.

I got the error “Sonos was unable to add the shared folder”, with the error code 913. i have music on c drive that worked from there 2-3 weeks ago, now when I map my music area, can load the directory - as with previous complainants I have music now I cant access from Sonos, unless its on the NAS drive , and they do power off and sleep, so the C drive source is a more permanent music source - please fix this. my Sonos controller was updated recently to 

Userlevel 2

Why don’t Sonos comment publicly on these issues and make their next steps clear for all users?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have this issue too.

I have returned the one Sonos unit just purchased. But would still like the make the others work while I research alternates to Sonos

Userlevel 1

SONOS is great, until it stops working, and then it’s crap. One hour waiting on the phone to figure why my music library disappeared and won’t let me reinstall it. ERROR 913. Thanks a lot, Sonos.

i am also facing the same issue. Not able to see my library either in my windows 11 as well as Iphone . Not able to access ‘My Library’ , Error 913 .

Userlevel 2

I got mine to work again about a week ago allowing all possible sharing options of my Music folder with the Sonos system on Windows. Yesterday evening, when swapping from music played from the local library to a Line-In for watching TV from an old Laptop (yes, I know… it’s an interim setup), I could see that the local library had disappeared from the new app on my phone, and voilà this morning it had also disappeared from the Windows Desktop App. I have no idea what’s exactly happening there and why it works some times and other times it doesn’t :( 
This is more than frustrating for someone who is very particular about the music they listen to and gets irritated easily by the wrong song on a radio station…. I dearly hope they can address the local library issue quickly with a new update

I’ve just discovered that I too have “lost” my music library.
My music is stored in a share on a Netgear ReadyNAS, the share is available from Windows and DOS but SONOS can’t connect to it even with admin credentials.
I’ve mapped the share to a drive number, that didn’t help.

Has anyone found out what the problem is?  

Userlevel 2

I got mine to work again about a week ago allowing all possible sharing options of my Music folder with the Sonos system on Windows. Yesterday evening, when swapping from music played from the local library to a Line-In for watching TV from an old Laptop (yes, I know… it’s an interim setup), I could see that the local library had disappeared from the new app on my phone, and voilà this morning it had also disappeared from the Windows Desktop App. I have no idea what’s exactly happening there and why it works some times and other times it doesn’t :( 
This is more than frustrating for someone who is very particular about the music they listen to and gets irritated easily by the wrong song on a radio station…. I dearly hope they can address the local library issue quickly with a new update

Realised later on that I just had to re-boot my laptop. It’s all working again but it appears that it keeps crapping out every now and then, potentially related to updates in the new app interfering with the existing setup. So, making sure that from the Windows side, the music directory is shared to the Sonos system at multiple levels appears to salvage playing of local libraries. With the occasional hickup :) Should get us through until the June update for which they promise local libraries back, though :)

This solution worked for me: 

Same here, my library just disappeared and I cannot reconnect...error 913….HELP!!!!!

This is a complete  joke for a product that is not cheap . Access to your own library should be a simple task . Not spending hours with tech support trying to resolve. I’m sure the CEO of Sonos is having a lovely weekend in the Hamptons while loads of us won’t be be to listen to music this holiday weekend . Why the hell don’t Sonos actually make a comment on this instead of leaving it to the customers sort out . Ahhhhhhhhrrr. 

Userlevel 1

According to Sonos support, the reason for this breakage is that they have, without warning, ended support for http and SMBv1 protocols for accessing network drives, out of a supposed concern for our security. Your network share must use SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol. This is something you would adjust on the device which is doing the sharing. If, as in my case, this is not a Windows system, the proposed fix for Windows PCs will not be useful even if you are using the Windows application. So for instance, in my case, since my music is on a flash drive plugged into a Netgear router, I would go to the router administration page in my browser (192.168.1.1 in my case) and see whether there’s a way to select the SMB version level.

According to Sonos support, the reason for this breakage is that they have, without warning, ended support for http and SMBv1 protocols for accessing network drives, out of a supposed concern for our security. Your network share must use SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol. This is something you would adjust on the device which is doing the sharing. If, as in my case, this is not a Windows system, the proposed fix for Windows PCs will not be useful even if you are using the Windows application. So for instance, in my case, since my music is on a flash drive plugged into a Netgear router, I would go to the router administration page in my browser (192.168.1.1 in my case) and see whether there’s a way to select the SMB version level.

I think that is my case: my NAS is a bit too old and it’s using SMB version 1 protocol. When visiting it from a Windows terminal I can adjust it for the connection, but in Sonos app there is no such option or known possibility, although I completely accept this security risk. I don’t have the plan to replace my NAS because I have too many devices connecting to it. I guess I have to replace my Sonos to another brand, then.

Same set of issues: no shares, no playlists, etc. This is completely outrageous that SONOS would do this without a.) notifying users of this change and b.) giving us the option of selecting our own security level. Tried calling nut can’t get through. Too bad as I was completely satisfied with SONOS. Heading out today to see what my alternatives are.

Anyone have an ETA on the fix for this?  TYVM.  

I bought the One SL to playback from my music library. So impressed I bought another for he full stereo experience. Not cheap, but more than happy with the set up. Since the recent update I now have a very expensive stereo radio. Not happy anymore.

A quick search around the forum shows the following as the fix for error 913 - it’s  just a folder permission error on the PC…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.

Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…

1. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  2. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  3. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

Also see this earlier thread with screenshots…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

A quick search around the forum shows the following as the fix for error 913 - it’s  just a folder permission error on the PC…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.

1. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  2. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

THIS WORKED!  Thank you!

THIS WORKED!  Thank you!

That worked for me also after a long wait to get to tech support and not being resolved. Thanks, my music plays again!

Is this the cause of the problem?
https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/30/windows_11_24h2_security_tweaks/?utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=article

Windows 11 24H2 might call time on that old NAS under the stairs

This works for my laptop, but not my NAS. Does anyone know how to change the SMB on an older wd mycloud device - there’s no option to amend it in settings when accessing via the wd mycloud UI?

Userlevel 2

Installed the altest update. SAtill get the 913 error trying to add the local - NOT networked - Music folder to the Sonos Library.

I tested the proposed “solution”. I do NOT use netwroedk shares, but I tried it anyway. I now see “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” where I didn’t before. However, Sonos still chokes on trying to add the network share:

I went back and checked Permissions on the Folder. I added Sonos, giving it Change and Read capabilities. The only change in behavior is that Sonos takes a beat longer before throwing up the same error message.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Windows 11 PC S2 controller. Three pieces of Sonos (crap), an old Play1, a Play 3 and two Roam SL. Having spent quite a few hours fixing another issue 2 weeks ago, now new issue of PC music folder unable to be recognized by S2 … same thing... Error 913. What started it was my Play 3 got kicked out of the system for no reason. Then using the now infamous Version 80 mobile app (there is no other choice), I tried to add it back to the system. It said my Play 3 was not registered. 

To simplify matters, the Sonos help desk, and I agreed, unplugged the Play3 and concentrated on Error 913. No dice. They claim they have escalated this and someone will email me to set up a time to problem solve it. Have not seen this yet … they probably don’t know how to fix it yet!!

I did what worked for some above -- gave permission to “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” ---this is completely new to me. I had to type Sonos and search before it even comes up. Does not work.

The Sonos help desk did something else as well -  under Windows Setting/Users, it added another second user besides myself … his claim is then just sharing the music folder with this second user will bypass all the Windows/Norton firewall issues. Same thing, gave all the permissions. Still no luck.

Anyone found anything else? Why do we have to go through this twice a month. It’s simply casting music off your hard drive!!

Thanks

Down On Sonos