Android Controllers and Setup, past the CR100 brick

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

The Nexus 7/2013 is distinctly easier IMO. I've used it with a handful of decent third party Qi pads for years without problem. My Nexus 2012 sometimes needs to be wiggled to correctly seat in the dock.
I would say most people you ask would say wireless charging it a way of charging without connecting a wire to a device.

Anyway. My point stands. It charges in a DOCK wirelessley and works flawlessly on a custom firmware.

I have it here right in front of me as I type and KNOW it’s working well as a dedicated and standalone Sonos controller.

I know a lot of drone users like the 2013 model as it’s great for flying with and again works well with a custom firmware.

I do however believe that there wasn’t a wireless charging dock available in the same way that the 2012 model worked so it’s not quite as “perfect” in use
When in the dock the Nexus 7 charges without a wire or cable anywhere near the tablet itself. Not sure how you’d classify that but as far as I am concerned it is charging WITHOUT wires.
There's an unbroken electrical circuit. 'Wireless charging' is commonly understood to imply magnetic induction.
When in the dock the Nexus 7 charges without a wire or cable anywhere near the tables charging port. Not sure how you’d classify that but as far as I am concerned it is charging WITHOUT wires.

I also never stated it worked in the QI standard.

I’m using it on a custom Lineage OS 7.1.2 Nougat firmware that runs like it did when it was new (so I’ve been told) and it’s faultless and is far better than the previous official firmwares it had been running on.

No slow down. No crashes. Everything I need on it runs perfectly which is the Sonos app which works like a dream on it.
Nexus 7 (2012) doesn't come with wireless charging, but does have side contacts for the dock. With Android 5.1 they tend to be sluggish, but a pinned Sonos app just about works okay. Use Tasker for setting the display timeout to large values if required, and for auto-locking when placed in the dock.

Nexus 7 (2013) has Qi wireless charging and remains pretty quick with Android 6.
I’ve been using two Nexus 7s (2012 models) for a good 4 years now as dedicated Sonos controllers.

They have dedicated docks as well that charge wirelessly and can be locked to Sonos if required or just left to run Sonos without a screensaver or password so you’re left with an always on device that has little or no delays in activation.

Of course there are no hardware buttons but unless someone cobbles something together in a shed that will always be the case in this day and age.

Works well if you want something dedicated and can be picked up cheap and with custom firmwares available they are not locked down like many brand new cheap tablets like the Fire tablets have proven to be
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Like the Magnetic cables and the Sliding stand thanks guys!

Yes you can set security (Standard Android options) on the Lenovo Tab, So I assume that means PIN, But I haven't tried as I wanted it open and quick to access.

Actually what I meant was " screen pinning" the Sonos App. This is a feature available on android devices running Lollipop 5.0 and above. It means that the pinned app is the only one available on the device. You have to enter a PIN to get to any OTHER apps you might have on the device, but not to get to the pinned app.

The Sonos support note on how to do this:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3241/kw/Guided%20access

doesn't tell you that actually it won't work on the Amazon Fire 7 (because Amazon have played about with the OS). If it works on your Lenovo Tab then it could be pretty useful.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
It is also Pretty slick, speed wise
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, connects to the SonosNet no problem (HHID_xxxxxx)
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Like the Magnetic cables and the Sliding stand thanks guys!

Yes you can set security (Standard Android options) on the Lenovo Tab, So I assume that means PIN, But I haven't tried as I wanted it open and quick to access.
This will probably be duplicate or triplicate post too...******* forum software (by Insided, why do Sonos not dump them?)

That will be it - I think it would depend on the age of your wired device. Older SonosNet identifiers began with HHID. Useful to know you can see yours - don't know why mine isn't showing up!
duplicate post, also Grrrrr
(Duplicate - InSided is up to its old tricks again, throwing an error when the post has actually been received.)
In the device's available networks you should now see a network starting with 'Sonos_', to which you should be able to connect without entering a password (but this does not mean it is unsecured).
For systems set up in the CR100's heyday the SonosNet SSID is likely to be HHID_*.
That will be it - I think it would depend on the age of your wired device. Older SonosNet identifiers began with HHID. Useful to know you can see yours - don't know why mine isn't showing up!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Grr second duplicate post!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
One relevant factor for some users will be the ability of Android controllers to connect to SonosNet, not just to wifi. I have managed in the past to connect the Amazon Fire 5th gen to SonosNet, but for the most part it doesn't seem to see SonosNet (which doesn't matter to me as wifi is strong throughout my home).

I think it would be helpful if those testing the various devices reported on this. To enable it you go to Settings, Advanced Settings, Connect to SonosNet, from where it's obvious. (At this point you are just enabling the device's ability to connect, not actually connecting.)

In the device's available networks you should now see a network starting with 'Sonos_', to which you should be able to connect without entering a password (but this does not mean it is unsecured).

I am sure feedback on this aspect would be useful to some, particularly as the CR100 connects over SonosNet.

5th Gen Amazon Fire Tablet, the setting is in Sonos, and selected. The only WiFi network I see other than expected was HHID_andthengobbleydegook5. Have connected to this, can't find IP address on fire but it is controlling Sonos (so I presume that must be it - it won't be anyone else's round here unless they fitted cows with WiFi. If I remember I'll have a look on router and network switch and see if I can determine if its routing via Sonos.
One relevant factor for some users will be the ability of Android controllers to connect to SonosNet, not just to wifi. I have managed in the past to connect the Amazon Fire 5th gen to SonosNet, but for the most part it doesn't seem to see SonosNet (which doesn't matter to me as wifi is strong throughout my home).

I think it would be helpful if those testing the various devices reported on this. To enable it you go to Settings, Advanced Settings, Connect to SonosNet, from where it's obvious. (At this point you are just enabling the device's ability to connect, not actually connecting.)

I am sure feedback on this aspect would be useful to some, particularly as the CR100 connects over SonosNet. It really should work for all Android devices, but confirmation would be good. (The Fire's Android is a bit non-standard.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Try this sliding port stand............. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6GYMWY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=INE5CZK8SXVKN&colid=1JQ4EP7YV32CD&psc=0

getting closer... I think I'd anticipate a couple if annoyances with something like this though... - I don't know how weighty this one is, but with similar stands I've had in the past, the grip between the micro-usb plug & socket has always been enough that when picking up the tablet, the stand comes too... - it invariably requires 2 hands to lift the device off the stand.

Also, I think with not a lot of lift/replace cycles, the micro-usb plug or socket is going to get bent out of shape or damaged in some way... - I've had at least one iPhone that had to have a replacement lightning port fitted due to stress between the plug & socket causing damage (I think I can trace it back to one particular event when the iPhone got knocked over whilst on the stand).. - I therefore suspect that it might only take one or two ham-fisted attempts at lifting/lowering the device, perhaps at anything much off the perfect perpendicular angle to cause damage to one or the other...

For those reasons, I'd prefer not to use a stand that requires a physical plug/socket insertion... I'd rather seek a wireless charging mechanism if possible... - ooh, rather like the current CR100 & it's cradle... :-)

I'd also be looking for something wall mountable, as that's how my CR100's are installed today..

Obviously I've also been looking at various wall mount frames, but so far, everything I've seen (that doesn't look like a dogs breakfast) is a completely flat against the wall mounting position... - I'm anticipating that being an annoyance too, as mine aren't planned to be mounted way up high at eye level (and what is eye level anyway, when there are 4 people in the house, including some young children). So mine are mostly mounted at "convenient arm level", which is quite a bit lower than my eye-level, and so I look down on them from above.... the CR100's deal with this perfectly by being gently raked backwards when sitting in their cradles, and I think if I changed to flat against the wall, I'd find myself forever stooping down to be level with the screen in order to avoid reflections etc.

I've recently got a couple of desktop QI chargers for my iPhone 8, which I'm quite happy with, - they also position the screen at a gentle angle to optimise viewing, but they aren't anywhere even close to being wall mountable... :-(

So I'd *like* angled screen for optimal viewing, and plugless charging for easy lift & replace on the dock...

so... - pretty much what the CR100 gives me today then... 🙂 Too much to ask?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I've just ordered an Asus Zenpad 8. I'll post here with details of my setup and experience with it once I get that far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
there are android apps which can convert volume buttons to music controls. anyone know if these would work with sonos ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=frinky.music.controller.pro&hl=en_GB
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.purelogicapps.android.tactileplayer&hl=en_GB
It does seem that 'parental controls' are intended to restrict adult profiles so that a tablet can be passed to a child. I have only experimented briefly with this though

There is a separate parental controls password.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I assume one could set up a separate Amazon account purely for the dedicated Fire controllers so that no privacy issues arose????

Yes, the idea occurred to me, but I didn't do it because I wanted to have my cake and eat it. I wanted to try and achieve a set up that locked down the Fire to Sonos, but that I could unlock with a passcode to access the rest of the functionality.

A separate account will hopefully sort out the privacy issues, though it does still mean that the device can be used by my kids to browse the net, go on YouTube. For the Living room one that is ok as its in a public space.
I assume one could set up a separate Amazon account purely for the dedicated Fire controllers so that no privacy issues arose????

I am not sure if content controls can be applied to adult profiles given possible concerns over child access.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Try this sliding port stand............. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6GYMWY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=INE5CZK8SXVKN&colid=1JQ4EP7YV32CD&psc=0

This looks good. I've bought 3 Kindle Fire 7's and 3 generic stands but the stands I went for do not solve the charging issue like this one looks to do.

Also on the Kindle Fire 7, it comes with a 90cm usb cable which frankly is not enough for the distance from my sockets to the table height I'm putting it at . At the moment I'm using a couple of longer blackberry charger cables that I had to hand.

I have gone the "child account" route for my kids bedrooms. Have tried the adult account approach in our Living room but it doesnt work for me because I want to leave it unlocked (so anyone can pick it up and use the Sonos app) but dont want people running through my books, audible and video purchases and using the device for anything non Sonos related. Pinning would be the solution but it appears just not possible on the Kindle Fire 7.

Thinking about trying the Lenovo tablet from Tesco mentioned by OP together with the charger above.: Can you pin on that? Looks likely though I dont think OP mentioned it?