Answered

Alarms "hidden" in System Settings with 10.4

• 10 September 2019
  • 144 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

144 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
At first I thought I was going senile while trying to set the alarm, then remembered that Sonos likes to fix things that aren’t broken...

Please put the alarm function back up to a level one menu!
Badge
I agree to the feature being a function not a setting as I as well change alarms weekly. More importantly though is the missing snooze button on the pop up notification in IOS. The alert pops telling me the alarm is activated but no way to snooze, if I touch the alert it just opens the app, still no snooze option, or is it buried somewhere else? Not being able to snooze is a huge issue.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I've posted separately under Troubleshooting, but I've just had one of my regular wake up alarms fail to go off. Not even the chime. I've never had this happen to me before and I've been using alarms for years. It's easy to jump to conclusions...
My Sonos, rooms and alarms are my three most commonly used functions. I’d like alarms as a button on the front/home page. Also agree with Howard S regarding the horrible changes to the alarm UI. Why not provide users with the option to move functionality buttons around the app - a bit like iOS? Let us decide if we set alarms once and are happy to leave them buried, or if we use them daily (my case) and would like them on the front page
Hi SONOS Community,
I use the alarm function frequently. The latest SONOS app (v. 10.4.1) "hides" the alarm under Settings>System>Alarms.
That's buried a little deep, plus it doesn't make intuitive sense categorized there.
Is anyone else bothered by this? I'd like to request that the Alarm function be moved up at least one level in the next app version, and possibly be re-categorized as a feature or utility.
Thanks,
NBK
I have Android app 10.4.1 but I don't have the alarm shortcut. Please implement it for everyone asap because I dislike sonos very much now, every time I have to start digging in settings to change an alarm. Which is daily. I thought you'd hire professionals to design your UI.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Original poster here... still not in my 10.4.2 update. Boooooo
Ah come on Sonos, alarms used to be so easy. It used to be click ‘More’, click alarms. Now in 10.4 it’s click ‘Settings’, click ‘System’, scroll around a bit, click ‘Alarms’. Why? Sometimes it feels like Sonos is constantly changing stuff for the sake of change, not to improve the functionality.

Agree, what are they thinking. Turn the alarm off in system? This is bizarre
Please bring back the old position of alarms. I would wager a lot of people like me change their alarm time on a regular basis. And if you do fall into this category, you will probably want to check the time you have it set for quite often as well. Waking up to my Discovery playlist alarm is one of my favourite Sonos features and this change takes some of the gloss away from it
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ryan

That has done the trick. Alarm symbol present and working.

Many thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge

What a chore this was lastnight to find the Alarm setting! Please revert to making Alarms easier to find, buried in Settings is no place for an operating feature. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Bruce is just about right on this one. It’s a percentage of all users, chosen at random. To be “eligible”, you’d just need to be on the latest build and may get it, there may be a need to have the data sharing option enabled, but I’m uncertain if that’s correct. They run tests like this pretty regularly to see how certain UI configurations are used. For example, when we moved to a newer design of the app, the “Group” button from the rooms menu was tested in 3 locations at the same time, across a wide group of users. The team reviewed data of various locations over a period of time to see which spots/designs were used the most. This is a very standard practice in software development, also not generally part of a beta cycle. This sort of thing isn’t the button being “tested” to make sure it works, it’s being tested to see if people use it, or understand how to use it.

Badge

The earlier suggestion that It somehow makes sense to put the Alarms within the system/settings menu is ridiculous.  Someone clearly wasn’t thinking clearly that day, makes you wonder what we will suffer next.

i change my Alarms during the week, I setup speakers once (ideally).  How could anyone with a modicum of UX knowledge think this was appropriate?  If I was teaching a class on UI design, that person would have failed the class.

Now fix this and stop wasting more time trying to rationalize how this happened or nothing to find another fix to something that wasn’t a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S Is it also planned to add a feature for alarms to be set on a group of rooms ?

We don’t have an announced plan to add that as a feature, but we’ve heard the request before and I’ll make sure the team knows people are asking for it. Generally speaking, we don’t announce a lot of features before they are added for a number of reasons.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not sure as to the why but yep that is where it is now. Looks like they wanted the first page of settings to be smaller.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Click ‘Browse’, click ‘Music Library’, click ‘Artists’, click ‘U’, click ‘U2’, click ‘The Joshua Tree’, click track 2....

Thanks for the responses. I still love Sonos kit even though over the years of ownership sometimes it has frustrated me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Use the Desktop controller (for PC or Mac). One of the advantages to being a near-frozen version of the codebase is that UI changes like this will never happen.There isn't even a 10.4 for PC (and Mac I assume).
Unable to access/view existing alarms since updated software to 10.4. Not under Alarms in Settings section. Only see ability to add an alarm, but when I try that I receive a message that I already have an alarm set for that time. How do I view my existing alarms?
So... WHERE can i find my existing alarms? Settings/System/Alarms takes to me "AddAlarm". I Still have alarms that are going off this morning. As DB88 said, it won't let you re-create the same alarm because it "already exists".

Could someone please answer this question?

I see my existing alarm under Settings/System/Alarms. So either you've setup an alarm with some other smart control tool or there's a bug that isn't effecting all users.

So... WHERE can i find my existing alarms? Settings/System/Alarms takes to me "AddAlarm". I Still have alarms that are going off this morning. As DB88 said, it won't let you re-create the same alarm because it "already exists".

Could someone please answer this question?
I see my existing alarm under Settings/System/Alarms. So either you've setup an alarm with some other smart control tool or there's a bug that isn't effecting all users.

They have appeared.
I closed out the app again (on iPhone), re-opened, went to the alarm setting and there they are.
Guess it was a false alarm ; )
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just responded to your troubleshooting thread. Please don't jump to conclusions, the UI changes are unrelated to alarms that don't work alarms are stored on the players, not on the apps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
That sounds a lot more like an issue in your local wifi environment, as the button push on the controller would be communicating with and getting a response from the software on your speaker(s). You may want to check the wifi interference FAQ, and see if there's something there that might be causing an issue in your local LAN. Which actually would be an excellent reason why the alarm might fail, too. If the speaker can't reach the indicated location, it falls back to the chime.

Don't want to take this thread off at a tangent (my fault for posting here about the failed alarm). Thanks very much for this suggestion. I'll take a look.
I also want to point out the cognitive strain of putting alarms so many taps deep. When you're tired and ready to sleep, it can take more thought to figure out where to find this. Every night, I like to check and make sure my alarm is on. These hoops make me much more confused, and I genuinely make a mistake of tapping on my room in settings every time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
On the 10.4.1 Android app there is now a bell symbol top left of the rooms screen which takes you directly to alarms.
We're testing this out with some Sonos controllers, but it's not available on all systems updated to 10.4.1 at this time. Some people will see it show up on their controllers over time as well. Based on use and performance, it may be added to all controllers in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

On the 10.4.1 Android app there is now a bell symbol top left of the rooms screen which takes you directly to alarms.We're testing this out with some Sonos controllers, but it's not available on all systems updated to 10.4.1 at this time. Some people will see it show up on their controllers over time as well. Based on use and performance, it may be added to all controllers in the future.

Can you clarify this please, Ryan.

When you say “testing... on some controllers” do you mean for some devices - eg IOS or Android - or are you giving a version on IOS to “some people” but not others?

Does that mean you are somehow releasing multiple versions of 10.4.1? How are you selecting who gets which?

Are some people, in effect, being used as beta testers, which is especially implied by your final sentence?