Answered

Add new components to old S1 system after S2 launch.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

Badge

It seems I have no other chance I will need give try to S2, but I feel a bit cheated by Sonos, which says S1 is still supported. It isn’t, I cannot add new Move spekaer to existing S1 system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @sbtn, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You should certainly be able to add the Move to your existing S1 system. Mind opening the S1 app, and going to Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check > Learn More > Continue using S1 > Confirm?

That should allow you to add the Move in to the existing S1 system - if it’s already been set up using the S2 app, then performing a Factory Reset on the Move should be enough to get it to add to the S1 system.

If you’re still having trouble however, please reach out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, they’ll have more tools available to perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Sad conversation with Sonos tech support (waited a long time, but wanted to get it straight from the source.)

The "am I on latest firmware" check is built into the system addition process.  The S1 controller will check for newer firmware when initiating the system addition, which will move it to S2.  And the modern S1 speakers that can take S2 will get the firmware update at the time of the addition.  It doesn't matter what they left the factory with, they move to latest version while being added to a system.

He emphasized that the incompatible systems are only.... the things that early adopters like me bought; and that they will support a split system. 

One of the initial problems Sonos solved for me was the unsynced sound coming from different radios tuned to the same station, which will probably return in a split system. 
My system will have to stop growing.  

Badge

Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check

forces to perform S1 app upgrade to S2 ...

Anyway I decided finally give try to S2 (the real problem is a “one direction try”, because as I read after moving to S2 I cannot back to S1)

@David Somers . I would not regard a response from tech support about this future situation as Sonos' definitive word on this.  The message is, as always, 'wait and see'.

I’m OK with not adding new style products.

I am worried that it will be the same as it is currently… where I’m forced into an upgrade with each addition, and that is going to mean changing  to S2

Badge

Someone earlier on, 4 months ago, quoted Sonos support saying - 

After the release of S2, it will no longer be possible to add a newly purchased current S1/S2 component to an S1-only system.

And sadly this appears to be the case - when I try to ‘add a product’ - in this case Play1:, new-style speakers, to an S1 system, it is impossible - I need to update the system, which cannot do and don’t want to do, since I have ‘legacy’ speakers running and cannot afford to replace them - nor do I want to be bullied into replacing them, nor have the complexity of running two systems - and in any case, with a ‘legacy’ Bridge, what’s the solution there ? How many formerly loyal customers have Sonos infuriated and lost by trying to behave like Apple ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Folks

I realise this is an old topic, but it is a popular one, plus there’s been a lot of confusion on this thread so I’ll try to clear some things up for you all.

Once S2 is released, will I still be able to buy new speakers and add them to a legacy system?

Yes, as long as they are not S2 only devices (Five, Sub gen 3, Arc).

We’ve been working our way through the facility, buying another speaker every six months.  Do I have to hurry up and buy the rest of the rooms before June?

No. There’s no hurry. In fact, there’s no need - your system will continue to work on S1 for the foreseeable future, and as you can add new devices, you’re not locked-in either.

Devices that are S1 Compatible only will only work on S1 (it’s in the label). Newly designed devices (currently Arc, Five, Sub gen 3) will only work on S2. See our Sonos S2 Compatibility page for the full lists of devices. All other devices will work on either S1 or S2, and can be moved at will between them, but will need a factory reset prior to being added to either S1 or S2 (the light should be flashing green).

To be clear, if you buy a S1/S2 compatible device (like a Sonos Amp, for example) you can add it to a S1 or S2 system. Devices that already have S2 firmware installed from the factory can be added to an S1 system only if there are existing devices on S1 already. If you do not have existing devices on S1, a product loaded with S2 cannot create a S1 system.

When adding a product to either S1 or S2, the system will update it. It will only update to the most recent version available, so if your system is not up to date, the entire system will be updated. If you are avoiding updates as your controller OS is out-of-date, you will need to update your controller(s) to continue using your Sonos equipment (if you allow the update), or at least to add more units.

S1 and S2 OS requirements for your controllers are the same, and will likely remain that way, though I cannot guarantee this will remain the case going forward - the changes in our OS requirements are often due to the requirements of our music/voice service partners. In addition, it is inefficient to test software on out-of-date OSes that should no longer be in use due to security concerns. Our current controller OS requirements can be found on our Sonos App Requirements help page. Please also check our Unsupported OS Versions page for partially supported OS version that allow you to select and play music to rooms, but not configure your Sonos system.

An S1 system will not update itself to S2 without you (or someone on your network) installing the S2 app. If you want your system to be in one piece (all rooms available on one app) and you have both S1 only devices and those willing to run on S2, don’t install the S2 app. If you’re willing to have a split system, with some rooms on S1 and some on S2, the upgrade should be done from the S1 app - Settings » System » System Tools » System Compatibility Check. After this, your S1 products will be reset and you will need to setup a new system on S1 consisting only of your S1 only devices. This is so your S1 and S2 units do not consider themselves as parts of the same system.

With all that said, I think you will find that S2 is quite good, and continues to get better with every release.

I hope this clears things up for you all. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Does anyone know if any Sonos products currently compatible with S2 will at some point in the future become non-compatible?

I’ve read that you can’t move speakers from S2 to S1 though, so I suppose they wouldn’t be able to do that unless they made the Play 1s completely useless, which I don’t think they’d do would they?

It’s more likely that -- at some point in the future -- there will be a Sonos S3 update that only newer devices will be able to support.

FWIW, it is currently possible to remove a speaker from an S2 system and add it to an S1 system, via a factory reset. This does not apply to the new products (Arc, Five, Sub G3) which will not run on S1.

I called Sonos today and they said that any device that currently works on S2 will always work on S2. So no worries about devices getting stuck on S2. 

I also asked about the downgrade work around - he started by saying it couldn’t be done but then conceded he hadn’t tried and it wasn’t guidance they gave. 

But knowing my Play 1s will never stop working on S2 is good enough for me for now I think. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Unfortunately, Sonos haven’t chimed in in this thread yet to officially clarify.

@Ryan S can an S1 and S2 compatible speaker be moved from an S2 setup to an S1 setup?

My issue is that my S2 iOS app is locating my S1 5’s first and telling me I have to launch the S1 App. So I can not access my entire S2 speaker from my S2 App. During the discussion with Sonos support they mentioned when asked, that I could downgrade all of my S2 updated systems back to S1 by unplugging all my S2 Devices and then individually doing a factory reset and bringing them into the S1 app. I hope this is going to be possible, then at least they can all be on one app and actually accessible. I haven’t tried this yet so I can’t confirm that this actually works. A lot of work. It would have been acceptable to run a spit system, even if not ideal. But if S2 controller won't access the S2 equip it’s useless. My Mac S2 app is consistent in access the s2 components but the S1 mac app won't recognize my s1 5’s at this point. 

Sonos checked back with me to confirm that my support ticket was resolved, so I circled back and got the results attached, which describe a world in which S1 to S2 is separate from the required version upgrades within each system when components are added.
This indicates that there was a misunderstanding on the initial call (perhaps I didn't explain well), or that knowledge of the expected behavior is not yet evenly distributed.  

---- my email to Sonos support:
This topic (adding new components to an old system after the release of S2, without upgrading to S2) has turned into a hot topic on your discussion board…

In my mind, there are/will be three types of components: 
Legacy S1 only (Zone Players, CR200, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect:Amp (Gen 1), Play:5 (Gen 1))
Current S1/S2 (like Play:5 (Gen 2), Connect (Gen 2), One (Gen 2), One SL, Move)
Future S2 only (like Arc, Five)

I believe I understand the options of keeping an existing system on S1, splitting a system between S1/S2, or upgrading the entire system to S2.

Please confirm my understanding of the following from the phone call:
My experience has been that the “add component” process always includes an upgrade to most current.
After the release of S2, it will no longer be possible to add a newly purchased current S1/S2 component to an S1-only system.

<snip pleasantries and personal info>

----- Sonos support reply:
<snip pleasantries>

For the system, the legacy and current units that you try to add to the S1 system, they will update to the latest version for that system.

However, the future units or the units that already were updating using the S2 system, they can only work using the system S2 because they will be already in a version higher than the S1 system can support.

<snip personal info>

In all likelihood - no. Anyhow, come Monday all questions are going to be answered or at least addressed in some way.

My issue is that my S2 iOS app is locating my S1 5’s first and telling me I have to launch the S1 App. So I can not access my entire S2 speaker from my S2 App. During the discussion with Sonos support they mentioned when asked, that I could downgrade all of my S2 updated systems back to S1 by unplugging all my S2 Devices and then individually doing a factory reset and bringing them into the S1 app. I hope this is going to be possible, then at least they can all be on one app and actually accessible. I haven’t tried this yet so I can’t confirm that this actually works. A lot of work. It would have been acceptable to run a spit system, even if not ideal. But if S2 controller won't access the S2 equip it’s useless. My Mac S2 app is consistent in access the s2 components but the S1 mac app won't recognize my s1 5’s at this point. 

See my reply to your other post here:

I recommend using a split S1/S2 system.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So i have one legacy unit that i am updating with a new Sonos 5 , but Sonos are not going to get that unit to me before the new S2 app launches on Monday, so what do people think the best way forward is ? I think i will take the legacy unit offline tomorrow and then switch the other S2 compliant  units over to the S2 app, then when the new Sonos 5 turns up this week just add it to the system. I dont want to find that i have accidentally split the system and then go through the hassle of trying to get all the units linked again , i was hoping that Sonos might have released some guidance about this before they released the app it would have been helpful! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In all likelihood - no. Anyhow, come Monday all questions are going to be answered or at least addressed in some way.

Yes, but the process of how the split happens and what you can or can’t do shouldn’t need to still be unknown now?

How will the split happen - will you install S2 and be asked to make a decision then?  Is S2 getting a last  ‘final’ update (bar thefuture security/patch updates) when S2 is released?

No need to divulge functionality of S2 yet - but it doesn’t seem unreasonable to give users the information of how the biggest update of Sonos software so far will need to be managed by them in advance.  It would at the least allow things to be planned - even potential purchasing decisions.

Why update to S2 before you get the new device? Is there some new feature you can’t just wait on?

I’ve read on this community that S2 will be released June 8. That’s the day after tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Total agree.

Unfortunately, Sonos have given pretty much no information on how ‘we', the customers, will actually do the split/update in advance.

If we actually can't move an S1/S2 device between the two ecosystems then I can see lots of users seeing the new, shiny S2 software and doing the upgrade to their speaker - not knowing they can't use it any more with the other speakers in their system.

I really don't see why Sonos couldn't have told us in advance how it will all work.  Maybe as part of an S2 install it will see all of your speakers and explain what will happen and ask you to choose which speakers to upgrade and the ramifications of your decision?

They've not made it public and not responded to requests for this information. :-(

“I tried to factory reset the Play1’s but when i wnt to add them to the system the software (from my phone, also S1) insists on upgrading them first. which does not work”

the trick seems to be to disconnect all the PLAY1’s before trying to add them back in one by one. 

“I have the S1 desktop app, and was running a system on S1. The system included several Play 1’s that COULD but dont run on S2. I upgraded the system from within the S1 desktop app and with one smooth and highly frustrating move all my Play1’s were updated to S2 and dropped out of my system.”

just in case this comes up: several users on the system have sonos aps but they all use the Sonos S1 app. So no one could have tried to update the system from an S2 app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree with the posters above, but the only possible problem is if Sonos shipped systems with S2 firmware already. While they have to do this for the newest hardware, if they also did this for existing modern products then I don’t believe you could add those to an S1 system.

This is all speculation until Sonos actually ship something though.

Not sure if either of these two support documents may help at all, but perhaps worth a read anyway...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4824