A linux controller is needed.

Userlevel 3
A linux controller for the Sonos system is really needed. A basic controller shouldn't be that hard to create, so even if the userbase is smaller then for Windows there shouldn't be a cost-reason to not do this. The strength of Sonos is ease-of use, and a user that -for instance- prefers Ubuntu will be left to use his/her phone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Userlevel 3
The current wine 'support' isn't there either. There is a mention of using Wine 1.5.25 somewhere up there, but I didn't find that too good. Adding the PPA and installing the newest version (currently 1.5.26) and dotnet did leave me with an 'install' of the Sonos app that could start, but it's sluggish, and crashes. For instance, it's not possible to fullscreen it. I'd sooner run a virtual windows because it is quicker... So sorry to burst bubbles but currently wine (even the PPA version) is not an option.
Over the past week I've experimented with https://github.com/henkelis/sonospy, and used it as a controller on my desktop when I don't feel like looking for my iPod touch. The installation was a little trial-and-error, but in the end, I can control my Sonos by running a "sonospy_web" command in the terminal and then opening its web app http://localhost:8000/sonospy/default/index in firefox. Not sure whether I'll end up using it all the time, but I wanted to give that project credit here, they have it working pretty well.
Userlevel 3
A good tip for the more tech-savvy, but hardly a solution for everyone? Good to post it here, but not a real solution to the problem most users are having on Linux. There should be a linux client, just like there is an OSX, Android, iOS, Windows etc client.
Userlevel 1
Sonos may be working on a solution right now. They just are not telling anyone about it intending it to be a surprise. Pure supposition on my part.
Bought a Play3 last week together with a Synology NAS for my music collection. Synology does have a Linux client, however for the Sonos installation I still needed to turn to a Windows box. I really love the Play3, Linux support would make it even better! +1 to native Linux controller
Userlevel 3
How nice it would be to have a linux client. Or some reaction / recognition of the issue.
Userlevel 2
I've had Sonos for the best part of 7 years and (I suppose as a result of Windows 8 :p) am finally embracing Ubuntu as my primary OS. I would just like to express my desire for a Linux Controller... the more of us there are, the more likely Sonos are to listen! (I hope!)
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would like to request for a Linux client for SONOS. There are a lot more Linux users out there, than most people think. Sonos, please acknowledge this. Thank you
+1 As a long time linux user I absolutely vote for linux support!
+1 to native Linux controller
Userlevel 1
Personally I think long term a web server running on the Sonos would be a better idea for desktop use (as others have mentioned) as it would be cross platform and be supported on anything that ran a browser. Instead of maintaining multiple desktop code bases (Mac/Linux/Windows) it would just be one. For ease of use for non-technical people (who don't know the IP address or how to find it) they could have a simple locally running tool for each platforms that hunted out the Sonos on the network and launched a browser pointing at the right place.
Userlevel 3
Well, could be, but that's more of a design descision for sonos, is it? A webbased-on-sonos sollutions has other problems (you might need much heavier hardware for things like spotify search?) so it might not be the best solution. In the end there should be a way for a linux user to easily reach all the functions you need, and this topic is because I (and some others) prefer a native solution -> not everything should be webbased because we can. the windows native client is very nice to work with and has options that could be hard to implement well in a webclient...
Userlevel 3
Badge
About hardware, I think that a Sonos component like the Bridge may or a similar futur product may provide such service. After about the IP that is not known by everybody, a Sonos WebServer may register its self on the local DNS or by using the Samba protocol that publish some name over a network. WebServer or Native controller ? All function must be accessible from a WebBased controller because the association is no more required after that. And local mp3 sharing can be configured manually by the user with a short user guide. Music indexing can be asked from a WebBased controller to be done by any Sonos device. So WebServer of Native Controller : one of those is better than nothing... but I prefer a WebBased controller that is not specified for an Operating System. ... still waiting for a Sonos solution.
It could be possible to port it through Mono, which support .NET 4.0. I would happily port it to QT myself, if there is an API to access all features current Sonos Controller has. Another possible solution could be to make it HTML5 and JavaScript. It would make it 100 % plattform independent.
Userlevel 3
I'm not sure why webbased is coming back here. It's not that hard to make a native solution and that is the reason this topic was made! We could be all "ow, if it is too hard, you could do it in html", but it isn't that hard. It just needs some effort, but a webbased solution does as well. You'd have browser compatibility and all that stuff for instance. I agree that webbased would offer a feature that might be usefull for a great deal of usecases, some which are the same as the usecases for a native linux client, but they do NOT overlap 100% Lets agree that we are talking about a linux version of the available windows and mac controllers.
I agree a native client would be best but I am getting fed up with the non existence of the product and found that the Purple web-interface isn't ever so friendly and responsive. So I've started this project https://github.com/bencevans/soyes if anyone's interested in giving us a hand, please get in touch!
Would love a cross platform player I have a variety of OS's running and would love to be able to use sonos control panel on all.
Just posting to +1 this. It would be great to have a native SONOS controller for my linux machine, right now I can only control from my android phone.
Would also like a Linux controller. I originally chose a Squeezebox over Sonos because of Linux compatibility, but would like to migrate to Sonos without buying an expensive server.
Another one for a controller which can be used from Linux, please.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have broken my "Wine + hacked Sonos Controller 3.6.1". I had to re-install my Wine and re-hack my Sonos install software. Each time a new release is produced I need to hack my Sonos Controller 3.6.1. I have spend a lot of money in Sonos (ZP90 x2 + ZP120 + Play5 x2 + PlayBar + CR200 + Bridge x2) and I'm still waiting for a Linux solution. Currently we have no robust information neighter date nor point of view from Sonos Compagny about a Linux Controller solution. Is it acceptable ? No. This is the only theard of the ideas of the forum without status like "under consideration" or "planned". Is it acceptable ? No.
Sonos must release a linux controller without delay.
Hi, 4.1 works fine with wine look at my German post. http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=35458 Howto: rm -rf ~/.wine-sonos ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Sonos* WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine wineboot WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos winetricks -q msxml3 dotnet40 tahoma WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine ~/Downloads/SonosDesktopController41.exe -- enable Emulate a virtual desktop (Winecfg Graphics tab) -- WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos winecfg cd ~/.wine-sonos/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sonos/ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-sonos wine Sonos.exe Regards, FwvG
Stephan, thats great, but not all linux users want to programme. Sonos sells on being user friendly out of the box. I dont understand why they are holding back.
Should be easy to port if there exists one for mac already!