Answered

YouTube Music skipping tracks due to song not being encoded properly

• 1 February 2020
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

Hi Everyone,

Exact same issue and it is a real pain! Sometimes even normal music just not play on sonos systems, especially the Sonos Beam which is looking more affected by the issue than other sonos models.

When are we going to have a fix for this long lasting issue ?

Rgds,

Fred

Badge

Ive got the same problem over the last couple of days. I notice if Im using my iPad to select a playlist in Youtube Music and the iPad screen is on it will come up with those errors. if I close the iPad on the same songs, it won't have the error?

Restart didn’t work, the song sometimes plays 2/3 seconds, other times 10 seconds, then says not encoded properly.

As you appear to have one device wired, it’s important that the speaker is connected direct to your main router (or unmanaged switch directly off it),  rather than say having it wired to an access point or WiFi mesh hub etc.. I would just ensure that is the case.

Any wifi access points/hubs need to be operating on the same WiFi channel as the main router. Ensure that the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands are separately named too. 

The Sonos system in this situation will be running on SonosNet rather than your WiFi, (About my Sonos System will show devices as WM:0) so also check you have then put the following two things in place.…

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet.

There are other things you can do to improve network stability, but let’s leave it there for now and 'perhaps' try the above (if relevant to your situation), to see if it (hopefully) resolves your issue. 👍

The issue should be resolved, if everyone has updated their Sonos system to v11.1.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Restart didn’t work, the song sometimes plays 2/3 seconds, other times 10 seconds, then says not encoded properly.

As you appear to have one device wired, it’s important that the speaker is connected direct to your main router (or unmanaged switch directly off it),  rather than say having it wired to an access point or WiFi mesh hub etc.. I would just ensure that is the case.

Any wifi access points/hubs need to be operating on the same WiFi channel as the main router. Ensure that the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands are separately named too. 

The Sonos system in this situation will be running on SonosNet rather than your WiFi, (About my Sonos System will show devices as WM:0) so also check you have then put the following two things in place.…

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet.

There are other things you can do to improve network stability, but let’s leave it there for now and 'perhaps' try the above (if relevant to your situation), to see if it (hopefully) resolves your issue. 👍

Thank you that definitely gives me some points to look at.

My wired speaker is actually connected to an AP, not the default gateway, however the AP is still connected physically to the DG, so in principle its as you said, an unmanaged switch hanging off the main router.

I have 3 APs in the house, all 3 are on different channels, so again that seems to be an issue with what you’ve said.

As a quick test, I’ve just shutdown 2 APs and left the main router running.  The most problematic song that only ever gets at most 10s in, this time got to 30s before skipping.  Playing it again it’s back to around 10s. 

I am defintely going to play around some more with the network settings, shutdown all other APs and reset the system, see where that takes me. 

Thanks again Ken!

If you are able to (even as a temporary measure) wire a single Sonos device direct to the main router/hub that is the gateway and broadcasting the local 2.4ghz WiFi subnet, that would be best. I assume the only thing after that device might be an ISP provided router in 'bridge' or 'modem' mode with its WiFi switched off. However an unmanaged switch is also fine between the main LAN Hub and the chosen Sonos device … also separate out these wireless devices by approx. 2-3 feet to prevent interference betwee them and then do the other things mentioned in my earlier post.

The issue should be resolved, if everyone has updated their Sonos system to v11.1.

@Smilja is correct. I somehow missed this thread, though I notified others.

As of the last update, 11.1, the encoding issue with some YouTube Music tracks should be resolved. Make sure your players are all on that version by going into your Sonos app > Settings > System > About Sonos, you will see a version number there. You can also just go to System > System Updates to see if one is available.

Once you’re updated, you shouldn’t have any trouble playing YouTube Music. If you do, I recommend that you contact our support team directly so they can investigate. It’s possible that you’re running into an issue local to your system, but if you aren’t they’ll need to get some more details to take back to the team to investigate further.

Thank you so much Ryan!!

I will give YouTube Music a try in a bit and report back if there are any issues.

Thanks!

I have the same problem.  YouTube Music tracks (uploaded from iPhone to Google play and then to YouTube Music) show “song not encoded correctly and then cuts song short after about 2/3 of playing the song and skips to next song and does the same thing.  XM Radio, Spotify play fine thru Sonos.  Songs play fine directly from iPhone speakers.

Wish Sonos would bring back an app capable of playing songs from iPhone.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

This is getting more than frustrating, 3 out of 5 songs are skipping, its a horrible user experience.

I’d like to know if this is a SONOS or a YT issue, since we don’t seem to be getting anywhere here.

If it’s a YT issue, please provide some details and I will raise on their side too, and we can all upvote and moan at them instead.

thanks, the drift everything works !!!! you are the best !!!!

Fwiw, me too.

Same problem with google play music and YouTube music in Canada.  I have 2 gen1 play5s and was agonizing over whether to do any trade up, but they are making really hard to do that or recommend Sonos to anyone if they can’t fix this right away.

+1
Good afternoon,
I ask you to urgently fix this problem, I really ask you to help ................
you are such a cool company "sonos"
It’s not possible to listen to the speakers without any action for 2 months
do something, now quarantine wants to at least somehow please yourself.
Thank you for understanding....:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be an issue on Sonos’ side of things, but instead something on YouTube’s servers. And I’m willing to bet that while Sonos folks continue to raise the issue with them, fixing it is nicotine a priority on YouTube’s side. 

@Ryan S is there any update at all?  Any ETA for a fix?  A bug tracker open on google side we could be pointed to?  It’s really killing my experience at the moment because YouTube Music is my only paid music source I have, and 1 in 3 songs skips.

+1 on this.  I have been dealing with this for over a month now.  Extremely frustrating when songs skip - completely kills the experience.  

Would appreciate a speedy resolution SONOS

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be an issue on Sonos’ side of things, but instead something on YouTube’s servers. And I’m willing to bet that while Sonos folks continue to raise the issue with them, fixing it is nicotine a priority on YouTube’s side. 

I don't know if that's intentional or autocorrect, but I think you stumbled upon a pretty good new usage for the word ‘nicotine'.  Tempted to notify the folks at OED…. :)

Wrt the issue - yeah, a gut check tells me it's in the Google side.  Maybe an overzealous reauthentication call or something?  (I'm out of my depth though…)

Laugh. Good point, I did mean ‘not’ rather than nicotine. Big fan of the OED folks, have given them my fair share of money, but I’m willing to bet they’d be unsurprised by the autocorrect fail, as well as my poor typing and proofreading skills ;) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So… in a shocking development, YTM support told me I need to take this up with the Sonos folks.

Oh well.  Hopefully we hear some news from the Sonos people…

Userlevel 1
Badge

Laugh. Good point, I did mean ‘not’ rather than nicotine. Big fan of the OED folks, have given them my fair share of money, but I’m willing to bet they’d be unsurprised by the autocorrect fail, as well as my poor typing and proofreading skills ;) 

Since we can agree on the need for both nicotine _and_ a software resolution to the issue outstanding, it begs the question…

… when can we get a patch?

:)

It’s still up to Youtube, so asking here in the Sonos forums doesn’t get that nail hit on the head as it should. Assuming you’re paying for a YouTube account, have you contacted them directly? They’re much more likely to listen to a paying customer than they are to Sonos, I’d think. Nor do I expect them to have people reading these forums. 

The ‘patch’ needs to come from YouTube on their servers. The best Sonos can do is take what information is provided to them. 

I have the same issue on youtube music. I just spent an hour on chat 02343670. I get encoding error and about 20 seconds later it skips to the next song. I rebooted everything no change. I also can't fast forward on youtube music.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Ryan S 

I finally got around to testing this, when AirPlaying youtube from MacOSX it does not fail on any songs that I could find.

There is one song that always fails very quickly, usually within 5 seconds, and it played without any problem so I guess AirPlay works fine.

Does this help in any way with my issue, or does that result exclude me from on the issue you’re working on with YT?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Those are the results I expected, @rbrown. It looks like you’re running into that issue I mentioned above. We’re working on it with YouTube Music, but due to it, some songs give an encoding error when you try to play them on Sonos. AirPlay has the stream accessed by the mobile device, not the Sonos device, and can play those songs correctly. I’ll let you know when there’s an update to the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Ah thats really good to hear thank you!

Just want to add I'm having the same issue with YouTube Music. My other music services over Sonos work perfectly.  Btw I'm in Argentina.