Speakers in a Group drop out when audio switches

Show first post

53 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am not able to make reserved IP addresses, Starlink is not clear how this is possible, cause I can’t login to the router directly like a normal router. The app allows for some pretty detailed functions but no reserved IPs

With that being said I was able to plug a Symfonisk bookshelf via ethernet that was in the lobby, I installed the speakers again anew and things seemed perfect in fact one Play 3 could not connect and flashed a rare LED error so I though that I really solved the problem with a bad piece of hardware, it resolved the issues where speaker drop out in that first 30 seconds, so I thought it was good to go, I was very excited….however that was short lived...the audio started to skip again.

Like dude the speakers are next to Mesh 6 routers and still issues, honestly doesn’t make sense. Sonos customer support says there is some sort of interference, but there is no business to my right and the Starbucks to my left has terrible wifi that barely makes it here and they are closed in the evenings with Wi-Fi off so I know there is literally no interference unless we are now counting cell phones, even then if its just my phone the issue happens.

Unless I missed solution, after 2 years of audio issues, I now need to make a change….time for 6 Era 300s and 2 Era 100s and Sub Gen 3. This will resolve the issue on many fronts, eliminate Sonos Net which seems to hinder more than help, add Wi-Fi 6 support for much better Wi-Fi signal, but most importantly we will have Bluetooth backup now, which is a critical added feature. I need a consistent solution as we open more studios.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It does have its own network, so I should put the Gen 3 Starlink Router in Bypass mode, Roger that

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Tried but there is no setting in the app to setup reserve IP addresses, when I asked Gemini I got this:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

When I try to log into Starlink directly via 192.168.1.1 I get this:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So correct me if I am wrong, can I connect this travel router to Starlink's WiFi band then have the Sonos connect to it? So I wouldn't plug in anything via Ethernet, just connect wirelessly?

Is that considered a bridge?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I believe that is how it would work.

I think the travel router also offers a Bridge mode, it has several options, but you want the Router mode.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This the same deal for all other routers?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Some have said it takes minutes to setup reserved IP addresses, sadly I still cannot do this can anyone walk me through? Sonos support says to reach out to SpaceX and SpaceX does not have a phone number to call and emails refer to their manual that talks about reserved IP addresses and that Starlink router only reserves them for 30 mins. 

Can anyone help me set that up?

Meanwhile this is one of my lobby speakers hardwired to Ethernet...now imagine what you are about to hear is happening with 6 Play 3's in a full workout class environment, take a look and listen for yourself 😬:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BE5kT1VDCHqxwShx6

Has to be the worst sound glitch ever...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Well, I decided to essentially delete everything off of the system and start anew, this seems to have resolved the issue completely, things have been great until they were not.

Now at the present I have revived an older issue of track skipping. What happens now is that when you play a song, the next song in the queue will play just fine, but the following or 3rd song will not play and I will get a message that says “cannot connect to spotify” then switches tracks to the 4th song. In a studio where the next song being in sync is very important this is a big issue that comes and goes. Anyone heard of this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Actually says “connection to spotify was lost” then plays the next song.

Skipping music usually is caused by one of two things. 

First, it could be an issue on Spotify’s side. 

Second, it could be an issue of wifi interference or a duplicate IP address of some type breaking the ability of the speaker to temporarily reach your router, and hence the Spotify server. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Let me provide a little more details, I setup v4 Starlink and have great signal with no obstructions, getting about 150Mb+ consistently. I created a separate 5ghz network called “Starlink GLO” and a 2.4ghz called “GLO Yoga Studios”. I connected 6 Play 3’s, 2 Symfonisks, and a Gen3 Sub. They are all connected to Starlink GLO (5Ghz). 

I thought that by separating the Sonos speakers to their own network with only Sonos it would be good to go, but I am presented with a new problem and less of the problem I mentioned above.

What is happening now is the audio will literally start to skip, not in the sense it is jumping a head but in the sounding sense, it would drop in and out of all speakers mid song with no prior warning or track changes, the sound is the equivalent to pressing the mute button superfast at different times for all the speakers, has to be the worst thing I have heard. 

Skipping the song “may” solve the issue but this one is stressful from an audio perspective.

My first inclination was to change the Starlink GLO network to being 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz since they operate on 2.4ghz on their own. Wonderful AI suggested that 5ghz would be better since there will be less interference on that network, but it seems that maybe the less range of 5ghz is having a measured affect?

If I were to guess it seems like there is no buffer, when I look at Starlink stats I can see outages of less than 0.1s but those did not coincide with the drop/muting sound so maybe not a buffer issue.

Would changing the network Sonos is on to 2.4ghz be a good option? I also noticed the Boost would not enter the system (maybe its locked to 2.4ghz only?)

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

A travel router? Wouldn't that be exactly the same as using the Nighthawk wifi extender? The Nighthawk creates its own network too, and I have all the Sonos devices connected to just that extender and its own network.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have not reserved IP addresses, sounds like something that I should do? Easy process? I will begin to shift to 2.4ghz, hopefully I don’t have to re-add the entire system, last time that was a 2 hour process, but whatever it takes :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have not reserved IP addresses, sounds like something that I should do? Easy process? 

It should be explained in the manual; if not there may be someone here that’s familiar with the kit that can talk you through it. In principle it’s quite simple. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Does reserved IP address have anything to do with Custom DNS? Starlink has this on it:

@GLO Yoga,

Custom DNS is a different thing to reserving/fixing (making static) your device IP addresses - look for DHCP in your router configuration pages - you will likely see the devices (and their IP and MAC Addresses) that are connected to your router. You just need to set them to static for Sonos products, rather than dynamically assigned addresses.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Wi-Fi interference is actually what I initially thought was the case, so I purchased the Boost to help mitigate the issue but to no avail. I have reset the router and modems and reconnected everything back and the issue persists. Outside of doing another entire system delete and reprogram not sure how to resolve this 😔

The BOOST doesn’t really do much in terms of wifi interference, unless you may have set the channel it’s using to one that isn’t being used by your current router. It’s just a separate wifi signal, effectively, and it’s still radio based, so it can be affected by all the sources of wifi interference that affect your other router’s signal. 

Presumably the Boost is wired and you are running all on SonosNet.

So perhaps see if this helps to improve things for you…

1. Set the main routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a ‘fixed’ (least-used) non-overlapping channel. Use either channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, set the channel-width to 20MHz only.
  2. Goto “Settings/System/Network” and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel in Step 1 above.
  3. Whilst in the Network Settings in the Sonos App, if present, remove your routers WiFi credentials, as these are not required when running your system with one Sonos device wired to the router.
  4. Set the Boost at least one metre away from the router and place high so that it and your speakers are above head height, so that the bodies in your class are not interfering with the wireless signals 

See if that then improves your Sonos connectivity.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

**Update** Well since above we changed to a dedicated 2.4ghz network. It solved the crazy skipping issue and songs will play as normal. 

Well the previous persistent problem where when you switch tracks or playlists the audio drops from certain speakers (always different) but after no more than 30 seconds everything is always resolved. Well things were working just fine, that issue on the first 30 seconds was not a big deal one that we dealt with. Things were just fine, then for whatever reason decided to add the Boost, to see if it could resolve that first 30 sec issue, it didn't lol. Things were still fine, then the power went out and ever since the audio has been super wonky.

Midway playing music, the skipping sound would happen, then the app says it couldn't connect to the products, things got weirder as we kept going. I tried turning speakers off at different times to see if it was certain speaker causing the issue like a bad connection. At one point 3 different speakers were trying to play different things at the same time, of all the issues this is a first.

I have not reserved IPs and my connection speed is a consistent 110MB of download speed.

We are back to using our JBL Extreme speaker 😥

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Before I started this thread, this current issue has plagued me.

This issue is so specific, every 3rd song it skips, like it is trained to do so. If I simply press the next track on the list it will play and the connection with Spotify would not be lost, but I can’t be the dj the whole class. I will try digging deeper, maybe I will create a new thread specific to this issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I started a new thread here: Audio skips every 3rd track like clockwork! | Sonos Community

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes you are correct about Starlink and reserved IP’s, there is no way to set, which is why the travel router seems to solve the issue, thank you @nik9669a and @Stanley_4 for the suggestion (and anyone else if I missed you post).

However I have been a Starlink user at my home since the beta launch 4 years ago. In the early days video conferencing was a big issue, this was during Covid so it was a big problem, overtime though I can say this no longer an issue, I even have the original circular dish, but I did upgrade the router to the Gen 3 router at home and the studio started with Gen 3 router 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Well diving into it before I change things here is what it looks like:

Then I clicked the one with the lowest signal and got this, my guess is this may be causing the issue: