Sonos is forcing people to buy new hardware as they've broken the Connect:Amp and they refuse to fix it

Show first post

246 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I used to think that it was a network issue but the surefire way to temporarily fix the problem is to reboot the connect amps and to use Spotify instead of Qobuz, all of which supports the memory buffering theory.

The obvious conclusion is that Sonos, like Apple, has rendered its older hardware obsolete through unnecessary software upgrades.

So the choice as I see it is to;

1. roll back to S1
  2. buy the new Amp
  3. jump ship to bluesound

But let’s be clear about this - this is definitely a problem which has been created  by Sonos 

Out of curiosity, have you tried a system restart? By that I mean:

shut down Sonos devices and router, wait a few minutes, and then restart the router;

when it’s fully running and wifi is running, restart Sonos devices one at a time;

set fixed ip addresses for Sonos devices. 

There are numerous cases on these forums where this has resolved issues where the app can’t connect to system/devices. 

I’m just asking/suggesting trying this as the drop-outs might be network/ip issues rather than memory issues in the devices. 

Either way, I can’t believe that Sonos would risk deliberately sabotaging customers’ devices, whatever you might think to the contrary. The legal ramifications would be disastrous to them, if found out. 

Thank you for the suggestions. I have followed them all and to no avail. 

I don’t think that Sonos is deliberately setting out to sabotage devices but the careless coding of new firmware updates is having the same effect. 

Sigh.

I note that you have wired your Connect:Amp and "disabled Wi5". So you are presumably not aware that this is a misconfiguration of your system? Unless you wanted to prevent the use of SonosNet for some reason? Or is everything wired?

This would not explain dropouts on the CA itself, though.

Only the connect amp has the WiFi off, this was something I suggested to Sonos support to reduce load on the connect amp and Sonos agreed it should help. This isn't a misconfiguration, it's hardwired to ethernet, and it's not the root bridge in my sonosnet

It is sub-optimal at best.  Another question for you, if I may?  Do the dropouts occur only when the C:A is being used alone, only when grrouped with other speakers, or in both of those scenarios?

And a related question.  When you group speakers, from which Sonos speaker to you start the group?

I don’t think that Sonos is deliberately setting out to sabotage devices but the careless coding of new firmware updates is having the same effect. 

You have not a shred of evidence for this assertion.  The facts simply do not support it.  In particular, the tiny number of users who have supported this claim.  On the very rare occasions that an update has introduce a bug, even one affecting a tiny proportion of users, there have been dozens, even hundreds, of users posting within days.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I note that you have wired your Connect:Amp and "disabled Wi5". So you are presumably not aware that this is a misconfiguration of your system? Unless you wanted to prevent the use of SonosNet for some reason? Or is everything wired?

This would not explain dropouts on the CA itself, though.

Only the connect amp has the WiFi off, this was something I suggested to Sonos support to reduce load on the connect amp and Sonos agreed it should help. This isn't a misconfiguration, it's hardwired to ethernet, and it's not the root bridge in my sonosnet

It is sub-optimal at best.  Another question for you, if I may?  Do the dropouts occur only when the C:A is being used alone, only when grrouped with other speakers, or in both of those scenarios?

And a related question.  When you group speakers, from which Sonos speaker to you start the group?

What's sub optimal about it? I've turned off sonosnet on the connect amp to reduce the load on it, but for your information I've tested it as part of sonosnet and had the same symptoms.

The dropouts occur in both of those scenerios. I don't tend to group this speaker that often, but when I do, it's usually another speaker being the coordinator, but like I said, the speaker on its own, alone, ungrouped, also drops out, so I think the grouping is a bit irrelevant. In fact today I had loads of drop outs listening to a podcast which was driving me mad, as I was missing bits.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You have not a shred of evidence for this assertion.  The facts simply do not support it.  In particular, the tiny number of users who have supported this claim.  On the very rare occasions that an update has introduce a bug, even one affecting a tiny proportion of users, there have been dozens, even hundreds, of users posting within days.

As I've said before, which you're not reading, there are quite a few people reporting issues with connect amps, but they are getting told its a environmental issue on this forum. Also when I rang Sonos, it came up as a known issue with connect amps. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy by Sonos to force people to upgrade, I never have, you're making that up, but they don't seem particularly interested in fixing it. I had zero problems with this device until June 2023, the same time others seem to have started symptoms. Either it's a massive coincidence or that update caused an issue.

I don't know why you're so keen to defend Sonos against any issue btw, I love most of my Sonos devices, I don't hate the company, but the company isn't beyond criticism or probing questions being asked, it doesn't need you to defend it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I used to think that it was a network issue but the surefire way to temporarily fix the problem is to reboot the connect amps and to use Spotify instead of Qobuz, all of which supports the memory buffering theory.

The obvious conclusion is that Sonos, like Apple, has rendered its older hardware obsolete through unnecessary software upgrades.

So the choice as I see it is to;

1. roll back to S1
  2. buy the new Amp
  3. jump ship to bluesound

But let’s be clear about this - this is definitely a problem which has been created  by Sonos 

Out of curiosity, have you tried a system restart? By that I mean:

shut down Sonos devices and router, wait a few minutes, and then restart the router;

when it’s fully running and wifi is running, restart Sonos devices one at a time;

set fixed ip addresses for Sonos devices. 

There are numerous cases on these forums where this has resolved issues where the app can’t connect to system/devices. 

I’m just asking/suggesting trying this as the drop-outs might be network/ip issues rather than memory issues in the devices. 

Either way, I can’t believe that Sonos would risk deliberately sabotaging customers’ devices, whatever you might think to the contrary. The legal ramifications would be disastrous to them, if found out. 

FYI I've tried system restarts, reserving ips, having the CA being on WiFi and off WiFi (it's always connected to ethernet) I've tried having different devices as root bridge, I've changed sonosnet channel, I've reterminated the speaker connection. I've gone through Sonos diagnosis on the phone, sending diagnosis information to them. They told me it was a memory issue and the only solution is to buy an Amp

My vote is a hardware issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My vote is a hardware issue.

You’re correct. It’s a hardware issue caused by Sonos writing code which the hardware can no longer keep up with. 
Sonos themselves are telling us this when we call them with this issue ‘your hardware is overloaded. Buy new hardware’. 

Like @britcowboy , I don’t understand why many posters are so keen to ignore the obvious. Surely Occam’s razor applies? Perhaps you’re all android users but my parallels with iOS updates rendering equipment obsolete hasn’t elicited a response but seems to be a decent analogy to the situation that connect amp users are facing today.

I shall revert to S1 and report back. 

We have a Sonos Connect connected to a Denon Amp via optical connection. The Denon is connected to hard wired speakers throughout the house.   It worked wonderfully for six years until about six months ago.  We also have the cutting out problem. Sometimes we get several hours without a drop, other times it drops every few minutes.    I actually installed a new router several months ago after being led to believe it was a network problem.  That did not solve  the problem.  I have the Sonos on a dedicated wireless port.  I have tried using different channels on the advice of Sonos support.  Nothing has solved the problem.   I agree that this is a problem caused by the Sonos hardware upgrades.  Can anyone tell me how can I revert my Connect back to pre upgrade when it worked without any problems?  We are retired and on a fixed income and I really do not want to throw good money after bad.

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We have a Sonos Connect connected to a Denon Amp via optical connection. The Denon is connected to hard wired speakers throughout the house.   It worked wonderfully for six years until about six months ago.  We also have the cutting out problem. Sometimes we get several hours without a drop, other times it drops every few minutes.    I actually installed a new router several months ago after being led to believe it was a network problem.  That did not solve  the problem.  I have the Sonos on a dedicated wireless port.  I have tried using different channels on the advice of Sonos support.  Nothing has solved the problem.   I agree that this is a problem caused by the Sonos hardware upgrades.  Can anyone tell me how can I revert my Connect back to pre upgrade when it worked without any problems?  We are retired and on a fixed income and I really do not want to throw good money after bad.

Thank you!

I’ve reverted my two connect amps back to S1. The procedure for doing this is documented here

Although it seems simple, it isn’t foolproof and it took a few goes to re-establish the amps on the network via the S1 app (it took some time for my iPhone to establish the necessary wifi connection to the connect amps).

It’s early days (only been a few hours!) but so far, so good.

A word of caution - you’ll lose all settings associated with your account such as streaming services and music library paths. These will all need to be re-established again.

And once you’ve reverted to S1, you’ll have to tell all the users in your house to avoid the constant Sonos reminder to upgrade to S2 (there’s no way to remove this reminder if you only have S2 compatible devices in your network)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have more evidence than you do for your assertion. The 15.8 update which killed the soundbar interaction with certain Samsung TVs took a long time to be taken seriously and had users like @jgatie, Mr ‘Sigh’ himself, weighing in and claiming that it couldn’t possibly be a software update issue right about the time that Sonos admitted that there was a problem caused by the software update. And even then, certain forum members queried this in case it was a ‘misunderstanding’. In the soundbar case, there weren’t ‘dozens, even hundreds, of users posting within days’ but one persistent user with a few others chiming in.

I find it strange that there are so many on this forum who rush to deny that there could possibly be a mistake in a software update when it’s proven to be a cause of failure. Invariably, it’s the forum members with extremely high post counts. It’s almost as if there’s some sort of Stockholm Syndrome at work.

Good luck; I think that S1 is the way to use older kit, but I was not sure - and am still not - that reverting to S1 will work, but all the best.

And of course, if you just have one unit under S1, that may be inconvenient at times. All my 12 units remain on S1, though some could have moved to S2, for a price I was not willing to pay.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you!

I’ve reverted my two connect amps back to S1. The procedure for doing this is documented here

Although it seems simple, it isn’t foolproof and it took a few goes to re-establish the amps on the network via the S1 app (it took some time for my iPhone to establish the necessary wifi connection to the connect amps).

A word of caution - you’ll lose all settings associated with your account such as streaming services and music library paths. These will all need to be re-established again.

And once you’ve reverted to S1, you’ll have to tell all the users in your house to avoid the constant Sonos reminder to upgrade to S2 (there’s no way to remove this reminder if you only have S2 compatible devices in your network)

Happy for you if it fixes it for you, but imo this isn't the solution. I have 7 Sonos devices, all on S2, and don't want the rest of the network hobbled because of this device, plus I did have plans to buy an Arc this year, which won't work on S1, although I'm not in a rush to buy it until this issue is resolved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you!

Happy for you if it fixes it for you, but imo this isn't the solution. I have 7 Sonos devices, all on S2, and don't want the rest of the network hobbled because of this device, plus I did have plans to buy an Arc this year, which won't work on S1, although I'm not in a rush to buy it until this issue is resolved.

I appreciate that it’s of limited practical use to you if the reversion to S1 fixes the problem but at least it will prove that the problem is software related rather than network or hardware related.

As it stands, I haven’t noticed any loss of functionality going back to S1. In fact, functionality has improved as the network has been streaming for five hours with no glitches and the app control is much more responsive!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you!

I appreciate that it’s of limited practical use to you if the reversion to S1 fixes the problem but at least it will prove that the problem is software related rather than network or hardware related.

As it stands, I haven’t noticed any loss of functionality going back to S1. In fact, functionality has improved as the network has been streaming for five hours with no glitches and the app control is much more responsive!

Oh yeah I totally agree, sorry I wasn't being funny with you, it's a very helpful data point, but just want to make sure we don't let Sonos off the hook

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello again, I've been going through the top 3 or 4 pages of this forum, and I already found these issues with either symptoms identical to this issue, or, mention being told memory is a problem on the connect amp. Most of them are told its an issue with their environment.

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/connect-amp-interference-6888559?postid=16697899

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/trouble-with-sonos-port-and-app-6888579 memory done and gone on connect (not amp)

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/amp-port-or-used-connect-amp-6888542?postid=16697902#post16697902

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/audio-dropouts-connect-amp-6886487

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/connect-2-amp-losing-network-6887862

So can we stop with people claiming hardly anyone has reported this issue?

Interestingly the last post, Sonos acknowledged there is an issue with memory on the connect amp they are investigating. Can someone from Sonos weigh in here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

And here’s another one

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/connect-keeps-dropping-audio-disappears-from-app-6886389?tid=6886389&fid=228999

Good Morning All,

I registered this morning to throw my hat into the “connect AMP dropout” pile. My symptoms are similar though I’ve yet to run the traps with Sonos support to find out why. I’ve got one Connect Amp on my system powering two hardwired landscape speakers.

The summer 2023 timeline sounds about right.

I suspect that the issue doesn’t impact all Connect:Amps in every situation. It could very well be that a particular batch/run of Connect:Amps has memory that isn’t holding up as well as others.  Or perhaps when the Connect:Amp is in a larger system, or playing a stream with certain characteristics, it has these issues..  This would explain why we are not seeing the volume of complaints you’d expect if every Connect:Amp in the wild was impacted, and why the issue was not discovered in testing prior to release.

It should be mentioned that dropout are a symptom of quite a lot of different issues.  The most common issue we see around here is network setup.  So that’s why people tend to address that potential issue first.  Also, you can’t assume that anyone who has a Connect:Amp and drop out issues has this hardware issue.

Regardless of any of that, if Sonos support is saying the hardware can’t handle the software they provided,  I would be looking to get something from Sonos as a replacement.  I believe you can get a 30% discount on upgrade even if you’re not experiencing issues with your legacy equipment.  I don’t know if asking for a full replacement, or better discount, is realistic considering the device is out of warranty, and you’ve gotten years of service out of it already.  Then again, I understand why people don’t want to pay anything to upgrade a device they were perfectly happy with.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I suspect that the issue doesn’t impact all Connect:Amps in every situation. It could very well be that a particular batch/run of Connect:Amps has memory that isn’t holding up as well as others.  Or perhaps when the Connect:Amp is in a larger system, or playing a stream with certain characteristics, it has these issues..  This would explain why we are not seeing the volume of complaints you’d expect if every Connect:Amp in the wild was impacted, and why the issue was not discovered in testing prior to release.

It should be mentioned that dropout are a symptom of quite a lot of different issues.  The most common issue we see around here is network setup.  So that’s why people tend to address that potential issue first.  Also, you can’t assume that anyone who has a Connect:Amp and drop out issues has this hardware issue.

Regardless of any of that, if Sonos support is saying the hardware can’t handle the software they provided,  I would be looking to get something from Sonos as a replacement.  I believe you can get a 30% discount on upgrade even if you’re not experiencing issues with your legacy equipment.  I don’t know if asking for a full replacement, or better discount, is realistic considering the device is out of warranty, and you’ve gotten years of service out of it already.  Then again, I understand why people don’t want to pay anything to upgrade a device they were perfectly happy with.

I know why people are told it could be their network, but internally at Sonos this is a known issue, so it's a bit annoying when it's likely to be this issue.

The device was working perfectly until summer 23, so I don't want to buy a new (expensive) device, during a cost of living crisis, when it appears to be an issue Sonos has introduced with new firmware.

I know why people are told it could be their network, but internally at Sonos this is a known issue, so it's a bit annoying when it's likely to be this issue.

The device was working perfectly until summer 23, so I don't want to buy a new (expensive) device, during a cost of living crisis, when it appears to be an issue Sonos has introduced with new firmware.

Disagree regarding your first comment.  If someone is complaining about network drop outs with their Connect:Amp, it’s most likely to be a network.  At the very least, network issues should be eliminated before assuming it’s a hardware problem.

I get the cost of living thing; one way to repurpose the Sonos device is wiring something like an Echo Dot to the line in jacks. All you need then is for the Sonos controller to talk to it once such that you can set up the line in on the Connect Amp for autoplay. Once that is done, the Connect Amp will deliver full amp functionality with the Echo Dot as a front end, replacing Sonos, whenever it gets a signal from the wired to line in Echo. And the Echo will even accept Spotify casting if you don’t care for the voice thing. 

If you can land an older Echo Show 5/8 that has audio out jacks, you will even get a feature that S2 does not offer - album art for the music that is playing.

What you will not be able to do via this workaround is access music on a NAS.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Disagree regarding your first comment.  If someone is complaining about network drop outs with their Connect:Amp, it’s most likely to be a network.  At the very least, network issues should be eliminated before assuming it’s a hardware problem.

The trouble is that what could be a firmware issue is being dismissed (quite rudely in some cases) by forum members as a network issue because the symptoms look the same and network issues are the most common source of problems.

It’s only when we get Sonos Help involved that they can discount network issues and interrogate the offending connect amp units to show that there is a memory issue.

However, there is no willingness on Sonos’ part to solve this problem - and this is for hardware which was only discontinued four years ago. The message now is to buy new hardware. But how long will that be good for? Another four years? I don’t have the wherewithal to be spending $1,500 (after 15% upgrade discount) on a couple of Sonos Amps every four years.

My rollback to S1 has been glitch free for the last ten hours so here’s hoping that I just saved $1,500.

However, people who have to stick to S2 for other reasons won’t be so fortunate.

The trouble is that what could be a firmware issue is being dismissed (quite rudely in some cases) by forum members as a network issue because the symptoms look the same and network issues are the most common source of problems.

The vast majority of times, these are network problems, despite people claiming that they know there is nothing wrong with theirr network.  I guess I’m understanding a bit of skepticism when we see these claims.  As far as them being rude, this your first day on the internet?  😀  The thread title sort of set the tone, even if OP didn’t mean to imply that Sonos was intentionally causing the issue.

It’s only when we get Sonos Help involved that they can discount network issues and interrogate the offending connect amp units to show that there is a memory issue.

Yes, because only Sonos has the tools to properly diagnose the issue.

However, there is no willingness on Sonos’ part to solve this problem - and this is for hardware which was only discontinued four years ago. The message now is to buy new hardware. But how long will that be good for? Another four years? I don’t have the wherewithal to be spending $1,500 (after 15% upgrade discount) on a couple of Sonos Amps every four years.

My rollback to S1 has been glitch free for the last ten hours so here’s hoping that I just saved $1,500.

However, people who have to stick to S2 for other reasons won’t be so fortunate.

Sonos tends to be quite about these issues.  We don’t know the scope of the problem, in terms of how many units are impacted and how/if the issue can be fixed.  We can’t assume that silence means their just ignoring the issue, as that has not been the case before.  I’m sure some would just like to role back the change, but if the change brought in a new feature, or fixed a bigger issue, that’s not a viable option.