connect 2 amp losing network

• 7 December 2023
  • 7 replies

I have 4 conect 2 amps. 3 of these always connect to my network when using the Sonos android app. However the fourth connects app won't connect and I have to switch that amp off and and on and then it connects ok.

I have spoken to Sonos and they seem to suggest that the cache or memory on that amp is full and apparently there is no way to clear it. The system is only 4 years old and hasn't been used that much. Sonos just say it's tough and I can buy a new amp and they will give me say 30% discount. Anyone got a suggestion to sort this? Otherwise these apps aren't worth having! Poor quality.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Survey, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look into your system and from what I can see, support has diagnosed the problem correctly, there isn’t anything the community can offer.

Our engineers are aware of this specific issue and are investigating it, but do not have an ETA to share. Currently the best way to resolve the issue is what you’re already doing, rebooting the Connect:Amp. Buying a new Amp will resolve the issue and was why it was offered, but it’s not necessary, unless you don’t want to wait.

I hope this information helps!

It is interesting that Sonos is well aware of the problem with these amps. A product that has a very limited life before the memory/cache becomes filled and cannot be cleared. And you continued to sell them! If a product is not fit for purpose then it should be upgraded and customers who bought in good faith should receive a free replacement. And obviously as I am told each of my amps are becoming memory/cache filled, do you really expect customers to shut down each app and force a reconnect???

Do I infer from your comment that you are expecting a software update in the near future to resolve the issue?

You say a new amp isn't necessary but that means having to unplug the failed amps and force a reconnect on every occasion that one wants to listen to music!

Very, very disappointing.

May I just add that I cannot understand why there is no recognition of having clicked on 'shuffle' on the android app controller. One has no idea whether it's on or off. Why not properly design the interface? This is pretty basic to most programs. Just highlight when it's pressed or at least give some indication.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It is interesting that Sonos is well aware of the problem with these amps. A product that has a very limited life before the memory/cache becomes filled and cannot be cleared. And you continued to sell them! If a product is not fit for purpose then it should be upgraded and customers who bought in good faith should receive a free replacement. And obviously as I am told each of my amps are becoming memory/cache filled, do you really expect customers to shut down each app and force a reconnect???

Do I infer from your comment that you are expecting a software update in the near future to resolve the issue?

You say a new amp isn't necessary but that means having to unplug the failed amps and force a reconnect on every occasion that one wants to listen to music!

Very, very disappointing.

The memory and cache can be cleared by powering off the device, which is the current workaround while our team is investigating the issue. This issue was raised to our engineers recently and the Connect:Amp hasn’t been sold by us for a while during the time this issue started. There isn’t an ETA on when this issue will be resolved, but it will be by a software update when a fix is found.

The Dining Room Connect:Amp is the one with the issue, your options are either to not use it until the issue is resolved, or reboot it when necessary. I would still suggest a new Amp isn’t necessary at the current time.

May I just add that I cannot understand why there is no recognition of having clicked on 'shuffle' on the android app controller. One has no idea whether it's on or off. Why not properly design the interface? This is pretty basic to most programs. Just highlight when it's pressed or at least give some indication.

I’ve tested on my app, I’m on Android using the S2 app and the shuffle icon is visible to me. It may look different on S1 but I’m not able to test that. If you can send screenshots in this thread, I can send this to our team as feedback. 

Actually it's the Kitchen amp that gives the problem although I am informed that the other amps are filling their memories/cache. It is interesting that the S2 amp hasn't been sold for a while.y amps are about 4 years old. Surely Sonos should replace these defective items f.o.c. as they really aren't fit for purpose.  I'm glad Sonos are searching for a software fix for the problem; I just hope that a fix WILL become available shortly

Shuffle icon. Indeed it is there and visible. What I said was that if you click on the shuffle icon it will either shuffle the music or it will not because the icon doesn't distinguish between on or off. The shuffle icon stats the same! It should be greyed out when off and highlighted when applied.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Actually it's the Kitchen amp that gives the problem although I am informed that the other amps are filling their memories/cache. It is interesting that the S2 amp hasn't been sold for a while.y amps are about 4 years old. Surely Sonos should replace these defective items f.o.c. as they really aren't fit for purpose.  I'm glad Sonos are searching for a software fix for the problem; I just hope that a fix WILL become available shortly

Shuffle icon. Indeed it is there and visible. What I said was that if you click on the shuffle icon it will either shuffle the music or it will not because the icon doesn't distinguish between on or off. The shuffle icon stats the same! It should be greyed out when off and highlighted when applied.

From the diagnostics I saw, it was the Dining Room, but it’s possible your other Connect:Amps are experiencing this issue as well. I’m not sure how quickly the error builds up, but maybe turning them off at night and then on in the morning will help alleviate this for now. There isn’t anything I can offer you product wise on the community, you’ll need to reach out to our support team to discuss potential options with them. I would recommend keeping automatic updates on or updating whenever possible.

For my app I do see a difference, which the icon being grey when not shuffled and white when shuffled, though again this is on the S2 app. If it’s not changing for you, I would recommend you re-install the Sonos app to see if that helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sounds like it could be related to this Issue