Sonos Connect - cannot factory reset (flashing orange-white, never green)

• 2 November 2022
  • 56 replies

Show first post

56 replies

Yes, like @buzz mentions, I would switch it off and put it somewhere cold, but dry and then give the factory reset procedure another go when the Connect is really cold. You never know it might just spring back to life - just need that green-go-light to show up for adding it back to your system.

More evidence suggesting a hardware issue. While not a fix, simply powering down the unit for a couple days might allow it to Factory Reset. This is more proof that there is a hardware issue. If there is a temperature issue, the “cooling off” might help, but only till the unit warms again.

The hardware failure could be vexing. Let’s postulate that a section of memory fails at a certain temperature. Factory Reset and update moves lots of stuff around in memory -- increasing the risk of stumbling over the intermittent section. If the Factory Reset and any updates are successful, and the bad memory is now not in use, the unit could continue working for a while -- until there is an attempt to use that bad section. This could be days, weeks, or months from now, long after you’ve disconnected your brain from this current problem. Then you’ll start looking for a seemingly unrelated problem because this problem was “fixed” long ago.

by the way, thank you for taking the time and making suggestions, I appreciate your help.

When I factory reset the Connect, it is getting stuck on the flashing orange and never turning to Green.

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.

If none of the units is wired, SonosNet is disabled and the units will switch to WiFi. But, they’ll need the WiFi credentials. Your Factory Reset CONNECT will become a problem because it no longer has the WiFi credentials.

Overall, I’m suspecting hardware issues with CONNECT.

The best plan would be to Factory Reset CONNECT so that we have a known starting point, wire one of the other units and CONNECT to the network, then add CONNECT as a new unit. Before disconnecting the network connections make sure that the WiFi credentials are correct.

Am thinking the recommended factory reset made it impossible to fix 

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.

If one or more of your SONOS units is wired to the XFINITY Gateway, you are using SonosNet and SONOS will be ignoring the WiFi. The Gateway will be aware of the SONOS units, but will not be providing wireless support. In any case you should reserve IP addresses in the Gateway.

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

Maybe see if this will work for you which I found in a search for your router…

Xfinity Router

1. Navigate to https://internet.xfinity.com/
  2. Sign in with your Xfinity xFi account
  3. Once logged in, click the Devices or Connect tab, then click on the Paused Sonos device
  4. On the following page, click on the Unpaused Device button
  5. Click on Apply Changes to complete the unblocking process of the device
  6. Repeat for each Paused Sonos device
  7. Once completed, the Sonos Player(s) will be able to connect, register, update, or stream. You may need to reboot the affected Sonos component(s)

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

That’s curious. My 2010 CONNECT is wirelessly connecting via WiFi. Describe your WiFi hardware for us. CONNECT’s use some older WiFi standards that some WiFi access points block by default. If you can configure your router, make sure that “b/c compatibility” is enabled. Note that some routers do a bad job of this and will slowdown overall throughput.

I contacted Sonos Support, got a case number. I was told the network card on the Connect is no longer compatible and can not connect to my wifi. They offered a 30% discount towards a new item. Knowing the Connect replacement has been out for 3 years, not sure its worth buying.

I am a Sonos fan and customer, with 10 Sonos products in my household, I understand technology can age. Time to go back to all analog, and only get a streamer that can be replaced every 4 years.

Same exact issue as shared by many others , Sonos Connect flashing orange.

This cant be a coincidence with this many incidents , must be a known issue, 

I understand my Connect is from 2015,  but still should not go dead….or Sonos should be clear upfront that their products last 4-6 years. Am not interested in buying something else that will die in 4-6 years.

I have a CONNECT from 2010 that is still working. This community is similar to a hospital -- after a quick walkthrough you might jump to the conclusion that “everyone” is sick. We don’t know what the ultimate life of these units will be. For any manufacturer’s product a few fail on day one and along the way. In the 8-10yr range the failure rate will start creeping up. Lots of original 2005 units are still functional. Each product has an age related characteristic failure. If you go to a large service center with a broken product, as soon as they know the model number, before you speak, they likely know the issue. This doesn’t mean that all units will fail, only that when they do fail, they tend to follow a pattern.

Same exact issue as shared by many others , Sonos Connect flashing orange.

This cant be a coincidence with this many incidents , must be a known issue, 

I understand my Connect is from 2015,  but still should not go dead….or Sonos should be clear upfront that their products last 4-6 years. Am not interested in buying something else that will die in 4-6 years.

Any fix? Flashing orange and white, it never turns green....

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same fault with mine? Stuck on flashing Orange/White after reset never goes green. Just happened this week - all other SONOS devices functioning correctly. There must be a rabbit away somewhere.. will call SONOS support tomorrow and see what they say.

Same issue. I can get all the way to this screen with my connect amp but the flashing light never goes green this is where everthing dead ends as a result. Did everyone give up on this issue?

There has to be a fix somehow.

They told me that unfortunately my Connect is broken and not repairable. I could start an RMA procedure. I‘d need to send back my Connect in order to get a 30% discount on a new device.

So, what did Sonos Support say, when you contacted them?

Exact same issue here. According to this post 

my Connect’s manufacturing date is August 2015. I’m trying to downgrade to S1 without succes. In the middle of the process my Connect doesn’t seem to be able to connect to my home network, neither by wifi nor by ethernet cable. In the ethernet connected case, I see a steady green LED and a blinking yellow LED on the ethernet port.

What did Sonos support say about it, when you called in?

I am having this exact issue as well. I had this connect in storage for over a year. Pull it out, plug it in, orange and white flashing, never goes green. I see it on the network, but can’t connect to it. Factory reset does nothing. Nothing about the network or set up has changed. It was just in storage. 

More likely caused by the Illuminati. 

This is suspicious, could Sonos have deliberately sabotaged the Sonos Connect, or made a mistake in the software update? I also have the same problem here.

I have had contact with Sonos Support and conclusion was: device is dead, that’s what orange-white flashing light after factory reset means.

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?