Playing different Spotify content in different rooms no longer working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

I am happy to be proved wrong, but I shall be amazed if the installation of the Roam is anything other than a coincidence. 

I would definitely reboot the Sonos system and the router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I seem to remember you can definitely play multiple songs on different speakers from the same Spotify account when played via the App.  I think Sonos has a kind of dispensation for this feature.

However, initiating the playback via ‘Voice' resulted in the above issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @balle3201, understood.

Just to confirm when you mention the routine to start music at bedtime, is that via a voice assistant, or alarms set via the Sonos app?

If you’re using a voice assistant for the routines, then it’s expected that this wouldn’t work - multiple Spotify streams can only be started via the Sonos app. If you are indeed using a voice assistant for these routines, is it possible that you were previously using different music services for each routine?

Regarding multiple streams via the Sonos app though, this should definitely be working. I don't see a reason for the introduction of the Roam to have changed this - however, as it lines up with when the Roam was added, it may well be worth performing a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then rebooting your router to refresh the network to see if there’s any change.

If you’re still having issues without the Roam however, then feel free to include a diagnostic with your next reply and I can take a quick look :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @balle3201, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You’re quite correct that you should be able to start multiple Spotify streams from within the Sonos app - we’ve just tested this on our side and it’s working as expected.

Just to confirm, this only started since adding the Roam? Does this issue occur if the Roam is not included in the rooms that you start playback in?

The only reason I can think for this to happen is your Spotify subscription running out, or a break in the link between Sonos and your Spotify account. Would you mind double checking that the Spotify account is still on a premium subscription, and if so, reauthorizing the account via the Sonos app? (Settings > Services > Spotify > Reauthorize account)

Hi, @Xander P  :-)

Thank you for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Yes, from what I know this must have started to occur right after i added the Roam to my system yesterday. The abilitiy to play different tracks in different rooms (with one single account) is a feature that I have been using for quite a long time now, so I guess you can understand the “horror” I was experiencing when it didn’t work anymore…

Just to clearify, I have a routine (alert) which starts playing different chill(axing) music in each of my girls’ bedroom around bedtime every night. They obviously have different taste in music, so each routine plays from different playlists. That was upontil yesterday :-(

I was also playing around with a theory around the Roam beeing included or not, when this happens, but it occurs regardless if the Roam is playing or not (or is even turned on for that matter).

I have rebooted all devices (incl. Boost), Updated the system (along with introduction of the Roam), and have also already tried to reauthorize the Sonos + Spotify Connection.My subscription (Permium Family) in Spotify also seems to be fine. 

This behaviour happens throughout my entire system now, regardless of what rooms (players) I try with, grouped or not. The only time it does work, is if I start playing from one Spotify account in one room, and another Spotify account in the other room. 

Would perhaps resetting the Roam (and effectly removing it from my system) be a way for me to test if this might be the cause?

I will gladly share Diagnostics Information if needed, so please let me know if so.

Lastly, I would ike to mention that I am well aware and used to having playback-conflict(s) between Sonos and Spotify, whenever I’m working on my Laptop and listening to Spotify there directly, and this is quite understandable as they are different systems. But this is, as also stated earlier, with in Sonos only. 

I really hope that you can investigate this further and help me sort this out…

Kindest regards, Øyvind

FWIW, I can play a different Amazon Music stream through a Roam just as with any of my other speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s strange. Can’t replicate the behaviour described above now. Seems I can play two different songs from the same Spotify account. Maybe I used a combination of streams earlier (from the Sonos app and from the Spotify app). Sorry to confuse you all.

The Roam can only be connected by wifi, while other speakers can be connected by Sonosnet too. Can this be the reason you have this problem? Or are your other speakers also on wifi.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @balle3201, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You’re quite correct that you should be able to start multiple Spotify streams from within the Sonos app - we’ve just tested this on our side and it’s working as expected.

Just to confirm, this only started since adding the Roam? Does this issue occur if the Roam is not included in the rooms that you start playback in?

The only reason I can think for this to happen is your Spotify subscription running out, or a break in the link between Sonos and your Spotify account. Would you mind double checking that the Spotify account is still on a premium subscription, and if so, reauthorizing the account via the Sonos app? (Settings > Services > Spotify > Reauthorize account)

I am pretty sure that it was possible to play multiple streams on Sonos from a single Spotify account when I last used Spotify, although that must be at least a couple of years ago.  

I now use Amazon Music and that definitely allows multiple streams from a single account.

This does not apply if Alexa is used - only one stream is then possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've always understood Sonos and Spotify work as follows:

• grouped speakers are seen as one user by Spotify;
  • different speakers are seen as different users and when using the same Spotify account the music stops on the first speaker as you start playing from the second.

On my system it does work like this, but on your system it didn't? And now your system seems to have reverted to the standard as described above? Then there's probably nothing to be resolved…..

I have the exact same problem. Yesterday I received my two Sonos Roam speakers. I upgraded my system to Sonos S2 and connected my new speakers. Everything seemed to work just fine until I tried to play music in another room. The music stopped playing in the first room saying the Spotify account is already being used on another device. This is really annoying. I'm even considering sending back the Roam speakers if I cannot solve this quickly.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

These concurrent stream limitations are enforced by the streaming service, not Sonos.  I’m guessing you didn’t change your subscription recently, but you might want to check with that.  A possible test to try would be to play spotify through Sonos and on your phone at the same time and see if that’s allowed.

Yes, I know that such issues might also be related to the streaming service itself, and I know that there are limitations on playing Spotify on Sonos and other devices (such as Mobile, Laptop etc.) at the same time.

However, this is not the case here, as this is within Sonos eco-system only, and no other non-Sonos devices are involved at any time.

My subscription/plan with Spotify has not changed either...

These concurrent stream limitations are enforced by the streaming service, not Sonos.  I’m guessing you didn’t change your subscription recently, but you might want to check with that.  A possible test to try would be to play spotify through Sonos and on your phone at the same time and see if that’s allowed.