Playing different Spotify content in different rooms no longer working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

For years a single spotify account could play different playlists on multiple (non grouped) speakers.

Since last Friday you get that error message that your account is in use “somewhere else”!?!? and playback in the other room is stopped.

Spotify support says that they did not change anything!!!!!

Spotify Premium Family account.

We have the same problem, which is really annoying.

Spotify Premium Family Account (2 adults, 2 kids, 1 account for sonos) and I have added a roam lately, too, which might just be a coincidence. Hopefully this problem is fixed by sonos and/or spotify soon.

@kingofcomedy-  If you have a family Spotify account, I would expect you still to be able to play different streams using the different family accounts, whatever may have happened to the ability to play different streams from a single account.  Have you added all the Spotify family account details to Sonos?  I am not sure what you mean by ‘one account for Sonos’.

Badge

We have the same problem, which is really annoying.

Spotify Premium Family Account (2 adults, 2 kids, 1 account for sonos) and I have added a roam lately, too, which might just be a coincidence. Hopefully this problem is fixed by sonos and/or spotify soon.

Badge +17

Hi @James L. :-)

If calling support, should we refer to this thread so that we won’t have to explain the whole backstory (again). 

Øyvind

Yeah, that should help! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @James L. :-)

If calling support, should we refer to this thread so that we won’t have to explain the whole backstory (again). 

Øyvind

Badge +17

Hey folks, 

We’re continuing to investigate the issue but don’t have anything else to share at this time.

We’d like those affected by this issue to get in touch with our technical support team, so we can run a few tests and confirm where the issue lies. So, if you’re affected by this, please get in touch :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Xander P

Do you have any “uplifting” news/status on this issue? 

It unfortunately seems like some in the Spotify-community appears to not be fully aware that streaming different track in different rooms with one single account should be possible (and has for several years now). Different music in different rooms- Sonos

I guess there would exist a technical documentation in Sonos on how this actually should work, and if there are any limitations associated with it?

Kindest regards, 

Øyvind

Hello all,

I have the same problem, but I have not included a Roam or changed anything else in the setup. It just suddenly doesn't do what it used to do.

I don't know if anyone has already posted the link, but on Spotify's site the issue is also already discussed: Spotify Community

Greetings!

I have the same issue described here. I hope this is solved soon as I find a key feature to be able to stream different music to different rooms.

I now use Amazon Music and that definitely allows multiple streams from a single account.

This does not apply if Alexa is used - only one stream is then possible.

The first is news to me, because I use the second route.

When you refer to the first route, do you mean by using the Sonos app to do this? That you can play via the Sonos app on one zone, then pick another zone in the Sonos app and play another stream via that zone while the first zone is playing something else?

Badge

I created a new topic about 3 hours ago. Same issue for us. Have had Sonos for 7 years or so. 

I won’t be dropping Sonos over this, however, if this isn’t Sonos’ issue. If this is Spotify making changes, it will be goodbye Spotify for me. 

Same problem for us over the last week.  No system changes or updates that I recall.  Just switches off room one and pops up an error message about streaming limits when selecting music in room two.  We've always been able to play multiple concurrent streams from one Spotify premium account (we have an 8 room set up) and have happily used it for around 4 years.  Now this problem.  

I see other users are also complaining.  @Xander P  are you able to confirm that the problem is being solved for us?  

Thanks

I’m having the same problem.  This has never happened before and I have changed nothing. 

I've got the same problem. I have not changed anything or added any new Sonos devices since it worked. 

We have a Spotify family plan which means my wife can be using Spotify at the same time that I’m using it to play something different. That’s why we pay more for the family plan. But this does not work with Sonos. If I play Spotify through Sonos in one room and she starts to play Spotify through Sonos in another room it stops my stream and says “your Spotify account is being used elsewhere”. This doesn’t work for us. May return our Sonos gear if we can’t resolve it. 

Thanks for bearing with me everyone, I’ve checked in with our senior engineers, and there has indeed been a slight increase in Stream Limit errors reported in recent diagnostics.

At this point there’s still some more testing we’d like to perform to determine the root cause of this - if possible, it would be great if you could get in touch with our Support Team via phone call so we can perform some live troubleshooting, and see if the issue persists with some test accounts.

If calling in isn’t convenient but you’d be happy to do some testing on your own and have access to a separate Spotify premium account, another option would be to completely remove the current Spotify account from your Sonos system, and then add the new one - do you continue to experience this with the new account?

I have also tried getting in touch with the support team but the phone seems to be stuck on the are you OK with having the call recorded question.

Hi Xander P,

I can confirm that I have the same issues.

It was working until today. I can see that my Sonos 2 app was updated overnight by Google play.

This version is 13.0.5

My play:1s x 4 are all running Version 13.0 (build 62186220)

Diagnostics : 1517692638

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @balle3201, thanks for trying those steps and providing that diagnostic.

Unfortunately there weren’t many clues in the diagnostic, other than showing that a stream limit has been reached, and that Sonos is definitely seeing your Spotify account as a premium account.

I have in the last few minutes however, found this thread;

Where it seems that using Spotify’s “Sign Out of all Devices" option, and then reauthorizing the Spotify account(s) within Sonos resolved the issue. Mind letting us know if that helps?

In the meantime, we’re raising this with the senior engineers for investigation.

While I would certainly be surprised if this turns out to be related to the Roam, stranger things can and have happened!

Regarding the routines - got it, that should indeed be working if they’re using alarms set via the Sonos app, thanks for confirming :)

Hi again, @Xander P 

It clearly seems like I’m not alone here, “fortunately” :cry: (based on the increased number of similar responses above)

I have now tried the following several times without any success:

• “Sign out everywhere” under “Accounts” in Spotify
  • “Remove Access” for Sonos under “Apps” in Spotify 
  • “Remove account” (Spotify) in Sonos App 

After googling a bit, I was crossing my fingers hoping that the “Remove Access” (which I hadn’t tried before) would be the trick to fix this issue, but unfortunately this did not resolve anything eiher…

However, one thing that I find peculiar is that when using my wife’s Spotify-account in Sonos, everything works as expected. It is worth mentioning that I have three (3) accounts in total, my wife’s, my oldest daughter’s and my own, and both mine and my daughter’s is not working as it used to.

I’m not going “all in” and claiming that this must be related to the Sonos Roam, as I see that other’s are experiencing the same without having the Roam. But in my case however, the introduction of the Roam is the only thing that has changed to my system recently, and everything was working perfectly last week..

I know this might sound a bit unfair, but at the moment I kind of blame all of this on the Sonos Roam, and havn’t had the chance to really enjoy it yet...

Anyway, I am very greatful for your feedback, @Xander P, and that you (and others in Sonos) are looking into this, and I hope that you (perhaps in collaboration with Spotify) are able to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Adding a link to a similar thread in the Spotify Community, where I have added a response to someone else’s post where I explain my problem: Different music in different rooms- Sonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for bearing with me everyone, I’ve checked in with our senior engineers, and there has indeed been a slight increase in Stream Limit errors reported in recent diagnostics.

At this point there’s still some more testing we’d like to perform to determine the root cause of this - if possible, it would be great if you could get in touch with our Support Team via phone call so we can perform some live troubleshooting, and see if the issue persists with some test accounts.

If calling in isn’t convenient but you’d be happy to do some testing on your own and have access to a separate Spotify premium account, another option would be to completely remove the current Spotify account from your Sonos system, and then add the new one - do you continue to experience this with the new account?

I’ve been using Sonos with Spotify for many years now, and have always been able to play different songs in different rooms without any problems.

However, after receiving and setting up my Roam earlier today, this is no longer the case… :-(

Every time I try to start playing one song in one room, and then start another in another room, the first room stops playing, and the Sonos App (S2) says the following:

«Playback stopped in XXX. The Spotify account is beeing used elsewhere» (May not be 100% correct, as it is loosely translated from norwegian, but anyway)

And yes, before anyone suggest the limitations related to Alexa/Google etc; this is using the native Sonos App only. No Spotify Connect involved either ;-)

If there has been made any changes to the terms and conditions, and/or how the integration with Spotify (and other services) works, and this is the case, I cannot recall being «warned» about this.

The ability to play different content in different rooms with one (1) Spotify-account has always been one of Sonos’ core strengt in my opinion.

I REALLY hope that this is just an temporary issue, or a bug introduced with one of the latest software-versions? Otherwise, the Sonos+Spotify experience is rendered somewhat useless… :-(

If anyone else is experiencing the same, please reply. I also hope that a representant from Sonos also reads this and can give feedback on this issue.

I've also been a Sonos / Spotify user for many years now. I've experienced the exact same problem. Since upgrading to the Sonos S2 app and adding 2 Roams, playing songs from spotify on two different speakers is not possible anymore. Don't know if the S2 app or the Roams are causing this problem, but it is quite annoying. I've tried all suggestions mentioned above. Even tried to adding another Spotify account to the Sonos system, but nothing seems to solve this. 

Hi

I have the same problem. However, I didn't add to Roam. I tried all the methods mentioned above, including changing the password.

Diagnosis 1732402145

Unfortunately there weren’t many clues in the diagnostic, other than showing that a stream limit has been reached, and that Sonos is definitely seeing your Spotify account as a premium account.

Where it seems that using Spotify’s “Sign Out of all Devices" option, and then reauthorizing the Spotify account(s) within Sonos resolved the issue. Mind letting us know if that helps?

In the meantime, we’re raising this with the senior engineers for investigation.

While I would certainly be surprised if this turns out to be related to the Roam, stranger things can and have happened!

Regarding the routines - got it, that should indeed be working if they’re using alarms set via the Sonos app, thanks for confirming :)

Hi @Xander P ,

Can confirm im having the exact same issue. When attempting to play more than one Spotify stream on any of my Sonos products the initial speaker will stop streaming in favour of the second speaker. Then the error message appears.

I have followed your steps above and logged out of all Devices via Spotify account, reauthorized Spotify via Sonos app and problem still remains.

This issue has just started today.

Submitted diagnostics: 617421800

kind regards,

Hudskee

HI,

I have been using the sonos app for over a year now with spotifi playing in different rooms on different speakers with different play lists and now my app is doing the same thing. Have tried everything in regards to rebooting to re-signing in etc etc with no luck. Does the exact same thing and says I'm playing on a different device when I select and play in a different room, even though I have premium subscription too, I believe this has happened since the last update maybe? This needs fixing or Sonos is useless, as the whole idea is controlling multiple speakers from the once device.    

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @balle3201, understood.

Just to confirm when you mention the routine to start music at bedtime, is that via a voice assistant, or alarms set via the Sonos app?

If you’re using a voice assistant for the routines, then it’s expected that this wouldn’t work - multiple Spotify streams can only be started via the Sonos app. If you are indeed using a voice assistant for these routines, is it possible that you were previously using different music services for each routine?

Regarding multiple streams via the Sonos app though, this should definitely be working. I don't see a reason for the introduction of the Roam to have changed this - however, as it lines up with when the Roam was added, it may well be worth performing a Factory Reset on the Roam, and then rebooting your router to refresh the network to see if there’s any change.

If you’re still having issues without the Roam however, then feel free to include a diagnostic with your next reply and I can take a quick look :)

Hi, @Xander P 

Aaaarghhh, this is driving me nuts :confounded:

I just tried the following:

• Removing/Resetting the Sonos Roam
  • Rebooting my router
  • Rebooting Sonos Boost
  • Removed and reconnected Spotify

...And it is still acting up. I don’t get it :sob:

Regarding the routines: Yes, they are initiated through native alarms in Sonos, so it should (and has) work perfectly.

I just submitted Diagnostics with ID: 483321382