Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

I was having issues with Sirius and Amazon music cutting out, then the players disappearing. Taking the advice of others in here, over the weekend I did a full reboot of my network and assigned all my Sonos units reserved IPs in a grouped range. I also unhooked my Playbar from ethernet (coming via powerline adapter that was a holdover from before I bought a Boost that is plugged directly into my router) so I only have the Boost wired to the network.

So far, so good. No issues with service cutting out. I've also noticed that the sending audio from my Playbar to other Sonos units is clear without cutouts (something that did happen previously). So I can say that the dedicated IPs is a good idea (not sure if the extra unit connected via ethernet was an issue as well).
Diagnostic submitted (8121997). Speakers keep dropping. Happens to all speakers at different times. Put Boost on Channel 1 and moved everything else to 6 and higher but still seeing issue. Power cycled all devices, latest version software. Really frustrating.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Still my sonos groups/ungroups or loses/gains speakers almost every minute.
Thanks for the reply Bruce; I had initially figured this was the megathread for these issues. After posting I kept researching and realized this interference was because what I thought was wired on this particular Play:3, actually wasn't. When double checking the connections for the devices in that area I discovered it was still relying on wifi. Once I wired everything up this has cleared up, which is why I haven't pursued it with another post.

Thanks again.

Intrigued to know what "ducking" is? Not having used an Echo or similar, where does the term ducking come into it?

Ducking is the feature that lowers the volume on Sonos speakers when the Alexa wake word is said. It allows the Alexa device to hear clearly. At this time, all Sonos speakers across your system will duck, which is not optimal. It is hoped that new functionality that allows you to assign a default Sonos speaker to an Echo will make only that Sonos duck, and Sonos said they are working on this.
I have multiple sonos devices when they are grouped some will randomly fade in and out, music playback will either stop or skip to the next song but they work fine when not grouped.

Diganostic: 8167362
No problems with Sonos until most recent update! Now nothing but issues...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having an issue with Play:3 continuously dropping off our network. We have 3 play:1's and and sub on the wireless network currently. The play 1's and the sub work fine on the wireless network. I have reset the play 3 and connected it via ethernet and gone through the setup multiple times adding it into the Sono controller (10.0).

Please use diagnostic number: 1861727639 . The Play 3 gets added into Controller and then I play 1 or 2 songs and then Controller responds with cannot play the next song and the room that is associated with the play 3 disappears or disconnects.

The light is white on top of the Play 3 and and the ethernet port is lighting up green and orange showing activity. The speaker was working fine before and it cannot stay connected.

Thanks for the report. Your Play:3 is still connected and communicating with your other Sonos units, but it does not have a valid network address. This could be due to an IP address conflict or another network issue preventing your speaker from communicating with your router.

I'd recommend starting by rebooting your router and each Sonos speaker. If this helps, send along another diagnostic report while the Play:3 is showing up in the app. You might take a look at your router's DHCP settings to see if there are any IP reservations which might conflict with the addresses available in the DHCP pool. It's also possible that you need to increase the available addresses in the DHCP pool. If you're unfamiliar with logging into your router's settings, it might be best to have our phone team help out. You can find our phone number and hours here.
I'll give that a try and check back in with you later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance.
In almost 10 years of helping out here, I can count on one hand the number of times a properly executed IP refresh did not cure what people insist is an "update problem". But hey, I tried. :8
Just curious, how can you identify that there are no IP conflicts? None of the routers I've ever used have provided any way to present that kind of information. All they do is present the data of what is connected at the moment in time the report is generated, and never have any information about what other devices might have been connected to the same IP address over the previous X amount of time

Hopefully someone from Sonos will be along to look at that diagnostic, but if you want to hit the support folks, they're on Twitter and Facebook, the moderators here are much more community folks.

My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.

Hi Bruce/Jeff,

Turned out that my router has been switching wifi channels and after I have manually fix them, my sonos setup is working again. Thanks for the brilliant advice and help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just curious, how can you identify that there are no IP conflicts? None of the routers I've ever used have provided any way to present that kind of information. All they do is present the data of what is connected at the moment in time the report is generated, and never have any information about what other devices might have been connected to the same IP address over the previous X amount of time

Hopefully someone from Sonos will be along to look at that diagnostic, but if you want to hit the support folks, they're on Twitter and Facebook, the moderators here are much more community folks.

My Sonos setup (2x Play 1s, 1x Playbar & 1x Sub on Velop mesh network) has been working great for past 2 months when they were initially setup until 2 days ago, my Sub begin to entirely disconnect itself and dropped out of the group. Under "Room Settings", it will show up as "Living Room (+?+LS+RS)".

I have tried:
1. Re-adding the Sub back via the "Add a Speaker or Sub" from the app.
2. Factory reset my Sub
3. Using ethernet connection instead of wireless.
4. Changing my wireless channels etc.
5. Removing all speakers and redo the whole setup of adding my Play 1s, playbar and sub.

All of the above have failed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if a recent update has caused this issue. I have checked my Sub and it doesn't seem to have any hardware defects going on since it can be powered on/off and able to be discovered by my iPhone Sonos controller app.

My Sonos Diagnostics number is 136702528

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. I can see the wireless connection between your Playbar and Sub, but your Sub does not have a valid network address. This can be due to IP conflicts, as was suggested above, or other communication issues, such as wireless interference or network congestion. It may be a good idea to set up IP reservations on your network to prevent conflicts.

I do see that there are some wireless communication errors showing up. It may be due to the secondary, unnamed network your router is creating. Both networks are running on the same wireless channel and may be making it hard for your speakers and Sub to stay in communication. Try changing your main wireless network over to channel 1 and see if that helps.

Hi Bruce/Jeff,

Turned out that my router has been switching wifi channels and after I have manually fix them, my sonos setup is working again. Thanks for the brilliant advice and help!

It's good to hear things are working again.
Badge
Hello,
I have multiple Sonos devices. Everything was working fine up until a few months ago. The last few months I'm experiencing frequent drop outs, my players disappearing from the app, the controller being unresponsive and unable to find rooms. I have tried everything suggested on the forum but the problem keeps on coming back. My Sonos system is extremely unreliable and i'm becoming slightly frustrated. Ant advice or help would be appreciated. DIAG: 8239752 Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 1
We live in the country, have 1 wireless access point, wireless scan show everything in 2.4 and 5GHz running on primary channels, and sonos amps are hardwired in.

Pandora stops randomly. Need new troubleshooting steps or the player to be smart enough to fix itself as wireless is not the issue.
Userlevel 1
Hello
Suddenly my play 5 disapeared from the controller. The play 1 is still playing.
On the play 5, the white light is constantly on.
Would this problem be due to interfrence ? Tje speaker is well out of the range of any other device. It functioned perfectly since the installation last september.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
My system has worked flawlessly for a year until recently. The most frequent errors are:

(i) Network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer (happened with Apple Music playback)
(ii) Connection to Apple Music was lost
(iii) An error occurred while adding tracks to the queue (1002) (happened with NAS music playback)

The stuttering, skipping to next track, and lost connection usually occured with Apple Music playback, but sometimes it also happened to local playback. I reset the modem but it didn't get better. While these problems happened, my PC and smartphone's wifi connection remained stable.

My system includes:

(i) Modem/wireless router: Dasan GPON H646w
(ii) NAS Synology DS214 (for local library)
(iii) Apple Music Subscription (for online streaming)
(iv) Sonos Connect + 02 Sonos Play 1

My diagonostic number is 8328134 (or 8328178).

It is much appreciated if you could have a look at my case.
We recently invested in a good amount of Sonos equip for our new home. They've been set up for a day.

Here's the placement:

Play5+Boost in Living Room(1F)
Play1 in Kitchen(1F)
Play1 in Office(2F)
Play3 in Master Bedroom(3F)

All of these rooms also have a Google Home Mini, which aren't plugged into the same receptacle(ie spaced far enough apart)

All were set up fine initially but we haven't seen all four in the Controller App once. You'll see one or two at a time.

What we've tried to no avail:

- Switching the router's 2.4ghz channel to 1/6/11 while the Boost was on an alternative 1/6/11
- un/replugging the Boost
- un/replugging the various speakers

Diagnostic 8353120

Convince me not to return all of these and go back to my Mission/Boston Acoustics wired setup i'm only planning on placing in a rec room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you maybe mistakenly set them up as different systems. When you added each you added through the settings...add room?

Lets say you have the Play:5 and Play:1 kitchen just showing in controller. What happens if you take the missing Play:1 office and plug it direct into router? I'm assuming currently only the boost is plugged into router.

If you plug the missing one into router and it doesn't show up in controller. Do a factory reset of it and then go to settings...add player and see if it adds into system. If that works - repeat process with the next missing one.
Having a hard time getting through songs without the skipping to the next. This is occurring on the both my Play 1 and Playbar. It is much worse on Play 1 using Pandora. Diagnostic code is 8389483
I’m having a problem with my SONOS Ones. They have been linked with my Playbar to create a stereo system with the television and connected with the Boost to the router on first floor. This worked well for almost a year, but now both my Play Ones have stopped working although the Playbar is fine. I have tried reconnecting them again and again. I’ve trued changing the channel. The system is up to date, can anyone suggest what I can do next?
I submitted a query for help to SONOS with a diagnostic days ago. I received a reply saying I’d hear from them within 24 hours but have heard nothing, 5 days later. Can anyone help? PLEASE!!!!!
Userlevel 2
I keep losing all my rooms (Kitchen / Living Room / Living Room 2) from the controllers and keep having this problem. I have changed channel without apparent success and have now submitted a diagnostics report: 8456585 and hope someone at SONOS can have a look and let me know what the issue is, please?
Hi, my Spotify music keeps dropping out on various speakers. Some keeps playing and then come back and then it is the orher speakers dropping out. It is really annoying. I have manually set my wifi channel to 11 and Sonos channel to one.

Diagnostics report: 8485310

Previously, these device disconnect disappearance issues werent really noted or did not happen.  The new controller app update and firmware updates have done something.  It took few attempts to get my speakers connected via phone support.  I have a very fast wifi and dedicated mesh.  I also have hardwired setup available.  The speakers are all in same family room.  Not sure how wifi interference can occur here when it doesn’t happen to any of my other non Sonos devices?  It took few attempts to get the sonos sl ones and the sub connected in the app.  

If this keeps up, then the quality of product and ease if app use is going down.  The whole idea was to try Sonos va Bose.  Bose app may be cheesy, but it seems to be more stable as my buddies put it.  Starting to feel regret, especially, after the last tech I communicated with.  

Badge
Does anyone from Sono's actually reply to these? Or is this a way for people to vent about our issues and get zero resolution?? Let's get it together Sonos!! NO
Badge
I think the only person from Sonos that reads the threads are the mailroom help