Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have two Sonos One's (about two months old) in one room - they are 10 feet from a brand new xfinity wireless router. Up until this week they have been great, but as of this week they are unusable - they intermittently drop connection entirely, stop playing music and won't reconnect for several minutes, they skip songs, airplay works even worse and will only connect and work about 33% of the time. I have changed nothing about them or my room, they haven't moved an inch. I have tried changing my wireless channel on my router to several different channels to no avail, Ive tried resetting them both to factory settings and setting up the room from scratch. Nothing has managed to help. I have no problem chrome casting in the living room, I have no problem streaming music through any outlet. Please help me, this investment has become a pair of paper weights.

Diagnostics report: 1177339349

Hi there,

Your speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This is probably due to the high number of nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 and test things out again.
Clearly, the number and frequency of issues stemming from using iPhones with SONOS speakers after upgrading to v9.0 of the controller suggest that the issue is a coding one. Curious as to when SONOS will step up and if not admit that there's a problem, at least resolve it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We're looking into an issue that causes iOS streaming playback problems when the devices go into auto-lock, and there are other AirPlay devices on the network. We'll send an update when we have more to share.
If there was a problem, there would be 1000's of posts in a day, like there was when the Playbar had an actual problem.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html

That's 76 pages in couple days, never mind the other threads. It was also well publicized in the press. This thread is 9 pages in 11 months and there is nothing in the press about a problem with the update.

Sorry, but Jeff S is correct. For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following:

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Thank you too jgatie for your suggestion. Once again, I'm way past these fixes including Sonos tech support taking control of my screen making corrections themselves numerous times. I have static IP's set up at the direction of one support agent only to be told by another a few days later I shouldn't have done that. I'm certain this is a network issue but I suspect it is the result of a conflict between Sonos software and network settings.

We stream TV (PlayStation Vue), use our computers, phones, and tablets without problems for everything but Sonos.

"For an explanation why and a tip that works for 95% of the problems seen after an update (and prevents it from happening again), read the following." Maybe me and a lot of the others in this thread are part of the 5%.

Regardless, it is almost certainly a networking problem, not a Sonos problem. I gave an example of an actual problem with Sonos software above, and this is not it. But hey, I gave it a shot. Even though there are a couple other things in that 5% (auto shifting WiFi channels, split networks), you seem convinced it is a Sonos problem, so I'll not try to help again.

I wish you good luck finding a solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Pulling my hair out. Intermittently cutting out sound from speakers. 389145027

Thanks for sending in the report. When grouping speakers you're increasing the bandwidth needed. In your case, you have a 17 speaker group. Do you get audio drop outs with smaller groups or only with larger groups?

It also looks like your BOOST is having a hard time communicating wirelessly with a couple of your speakers. The Bedroom (L) and Denon kitchen units in particular. Are there any third party wireless devices nearby? Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that improves things.

You may also want to check your BOOST to make sure it's not set too closely to your router, generally it's best to keep a couple feet in between them.

Another option that may help would be to wire in more than just your BOOST. The more wired units you have, the more system stability.

Also, the source of the audio can play a factor. For example, if you're streaming from a mobile device, its wireless connection can play a part. What is the source of the music you're listening to?

Or, if you prefer, you could set permanent reservations for all of your devices in your router's DHCP table. A little different work, but it does have long term payoff. I did it several years ago, and my network has been rock solid across several moves.

Interesting idea. I'll look into this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
System unusable after airplay updates. Worked without any problems the last years. Music from surround speakers cutting out constantly (tunein and spotify), this morning the tv setup disappeared. I had to reconnect them all. I changed wireless channels on my router and sonos. No change. Dropouts all the time.

Diagnostic: 543670153

Hi abiffi,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your Playbase. This would explain why you're having issues with the surround audio as those speakers connect through your Playbase's wireless signal. It would be best to reach out to our phone team who can take over from here. Please call us up, our phone number is found here.
Userlevel 2
I've already sent them a diagnostic and explained the issue several days ago. With of course no reply.

Moderator Note: Removed profanity
Badge
Thanks Jeff, I spoke with support. The problem may have related to use of 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz channels with the same SSID on an Airport Extreme. Resolved by changing the 5 Ghz SSID and wiring the Beam into the router with an ethernet cable. The devices are back on Sonos Controller, Spotify Connect, and Alexa.

I have a Beam, a One, and a Play:5, each in their own room. The Beam and One are frequently paired. All have gone missing from my Sonos iOS and macOS apps, and are also unavailable through Spotify Connect. Alexa can't find them either. I've tried selecting a dedicated 2.4GHz channel on my Apple Extreme Base Station. Diagnostic report: 705591946. Advice?

Hi there,

Please check your computer's firewall and antivirus settings to make sure it's configured for Sonos. If that doesn't help, check out this guide to getting reconnected to your speakers.
Suffering similar issues but only recently in the past 1/2 weeks, system has been stable prior to this (Play1 and Play3, separate downstairs rooms). Nothing in my home wireless set-up has changed but the App lags heavily at times and speakers are cutting out intermittently - every 5-10 seconds for around 1-2 seconds. Would appreciate any advise please?

Any known issues with latest software update?

Diagnostics 7791984.

Many thanks.
Hi

I have changed my wireless channel on my router to 1, 6 & 11 but still I get my speakers vanishing and music dropping from them. It's driving me crazy and I am ready to give up and sell them if this cannot be fixed. It never used to happen until the last update??

I have submitted a diagnostics report - Number 7809007

I would appreciate it very much if you could look into this and provide a solution please?

Thanks
You should post the number of those diagnostics here, so they know which one to look at.
I am finding the play 1s are dropping out and just the playbar is working, about 10-15 sec later the play1s kick back in.
I have submitted a diagnostics report 7867441.
I find your reply rather offensive. I have been a Sonos customer for three years or more and I don't wish to be a "techie", I want a reliable usable system that delivers.I am looking at the forum to see if others share my frustration with the latest and quite useless release of the app. I can't get through to customer service to quote them my diagnostics ref. and get help with a failing and expensive Sonos system and I see your rant, and that's just too much. Keep it polite or go somewhere else.
Badge +1
The audio cutting out is getting worse for me. I swear it didn't start until a recent Sonos update (not the latest one). While watching TV using sonos 5.1 setup (playbar, sub, two play 1s) audio cuts out on the rear surrounds. It then comes back without me doing anything. I thought it was streaming music at first, or maybe an iPhone issue but now I know it's not. I uploaded a diagnostic a while back but never heard back.

My sonos is setup in BOOST configuration (playbar is plugged into ethernet) and all other speakers are using wireless. I'm wondering if I need to change the channel on my Airport extreme or something, but the boost mode mentions specifically how it helps not interfere with other devices.

It's super annoying!

edit: new diagnostic submitted: 7975298

Also, is there anything in the Sonos desktop app or iOS app that can show performance issues?
Badge
I've tried just about every recommendation listed in this forum with no luck. Music on iPhone skips about every 4 to 5 mins. No issues when streaming SiriusXM, just content on my phone. My diagnostic confirmation number is 7979777.

Thanks-JLH
Userlevel 1
Same as the others. This system is CRAP! I continue to buy pieces and follow your useless suggestions, and my system gets WORSE. It used to be easy to get to a helpful person, now it's almost impossible. The 1st line people are rude and uninformed. I can google a topic faster than they can. When I need help, you're closed. My wifi is GREAT. I don't have a single problem with any wired or wifi device in my home, and I'm a heavy user. Yet, sonos can't play 5 seconds of a song without cutting out. It's embarrassing, Now you are forcing these updates on us more and more often with stupid, useless features when you should be fixing what's broken. And, take away the stupid messages that pop up every time you add a song to your queue for example...we added it...we know...we don't need a message to pop up every time and tell us what we just did. And, it's the same thing with clearing a song or queue. Its not an atomic missile launch code, it's a SONG. Quit changing mobile app devices around AND STABILIZE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!

Hi - we recently started experiencing several issues with our speakers cutting out. We typically use Spotify to stream and don’t have an issue with it on Bluetooth and other speakers. I’ve changed the Sonos network channel between 1, 6 and 11 to no avail. Our speakers are connected using the original bridge but seems like we are constantly getting a ton of interference. We have incredibly fast internet so at a complete loss for why music keeps dropping. 

Here is the diagnostic I just submitted. 

Can you disconnect the Bridge and direct wire one of the speakers in your system, see if that helps?  The Bridge is getting up there in age and sometimes is more of a hindrance than help.

Thanks for the response. 

The Sonos speaker when utilizing the Airplay 2 just acts as a target. To unsure we are getting as least amount of interference as possible, would it be possible to temporarily hardwire the targeted Sonos player to the router and assess if the issue is still present?

Usually if the Sonos speaker works fine and it identified on the Sonos app but not on the Airplay 2 function, the issue is communication between the sources.

YOUR LATEST UPDATE RUINED MY SYSTEM. CAN NO LONGER USE!
TWO APP UPDATES AGO MADE MY PLAY1's SOUND LIKE CRAP. LASTEST UPDATE WON'T CONNECT PLAY1's AT ALL!!!!!! ITS NOT INTERFERENCE SONOS! ITS YOUR APP UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wasted yet another evening on your crap product.
YOUR LATEST UPDATE RUINED MY SYSTEM. CAN NO LONGER USE!
Do you have any WiFi extenders or Powerline in use?
Badge
You could have made the sonos software better from the start!! The quality and the features should align with the expensive prices of your system. For example, if you had just made it possible to upload a few songs into the local memory of the sonos speaker, and let it play from its local memory, the songs would never have been interupted from the beginning! Even if the connection was lost!
Yes, that would be my recommendation.

But if those two actions didn't resolve the disconnects, then indeed I'm not sure I know what is causing it. Posting that diagnostic is a great step in getting Sonos to look at data in the log files that I don't have access to, and hopefully point them to figuring out what's going on.

I don't think you need to open up a new thread, but maybe if you haven't gotten a response in 48 hours, it might be worth it. On the other hand, it also might be wise to try one of their other forms of communication. Ah, good, you're here in the US. Take a look at http://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact/contact-options%23 , they have 24/7 support options, in addition to these boards, and they might be more synchronous 🙂