Is your music cutting out? Or are your players disappearing from the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Employee
  • 5609 replies

Hi all,

If you’re experiencing any of the above, or your app is sluggish, then your Sonos set up may be suffering from “wireless interference”. In the video, you will see how to fix this annoying issue, and get back to listening to your favorite tunes, uninterrupted.

Feel free to let us know how to get along with the video. If you need any further assistance, we’re ready to help! :D

Please note that we also have a support article explaining how to change the wireless channel here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Still having problems? Grab a diagnostic and add it to your reply.

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android
From the Sonos music menu, touch Settings > Advanced Settings menu > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC
Select Submit Diagnostics from the Help menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

385 replies

Update Diagnostics submitted... recently added an additional Play 3 and Play 1 to my system. Since then I can encountering constant drop outs

My playbase was being used as a boost. Have disconnected the Ethernet cable and system seems to be ok so far
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
The latest survey asks us to post diagnostics reports when we have dropouts.

Here is one, that just happened: 794540817

TuneIn stations that suddenly stops playing.
Pressing play, starts the stream again.
Tried switching from channel 6 to 1 still going on and off between rooms, tried switching to channel 11, still going on and off, between rooms.
Tried connecting one room with ethernet as a boost, still going on and off between rooms.
Tried switching to my WiFi router and use that way, still going on and off between rooms?
Diagnostics sent 24/09/2018 No. 1190794557
Diagnostics sent 25/09/2018 No. 573132236
Paired Play1s disappeared from network. Had to unplug both and then plug them back in to get them to be recognized by the app. Diagnostic #1787620609.
Bob
Mines has been skipping partway through songs for a couple of months now, it’s made thousands of pounds of equipment worthless.
Diagnostics ref 551268560
Hi Support,

I am using a Wi-Fi range extender from Tp-Link. And I get this message of saying some speakers are using sonos network from the range extender I am using a range extender is because one of my speakers is outdoor and has weak signal. Why are your system blocking Wi-Fi extender?

I need a reply as soon as possible please. As I am running a bar and need the speakers to be working well.

Thanks
I have 3 Sonos players, 1 on my main floor and 2 paired in my 'bar'. My router is on the same floor as my bar and I have a Sonos Boost to deliver the signal. My problem, which is infuriating me, is that my stereo pair is constantly skipping songs, stopping for no reason or not appearing in the app. I have changed the Sonos channel to 11 and my router to 1, so there should be no interference. Pleas ehelp me, or these are going straight in the bin.

Edit: one of my paired speakers is now not playing anything???

My diagnostic number is: 550183188
I just update to latest version I have 2 play 5 second generation and 4 play 1, my issue is im missing my speakers in tue app then i try to add the missing speakers and there’s even difficulty to add the speakers and then after i successfully add them all back some of the speakers are not showing up again the app
Badge
nice post thank you very much
Do you have a reply for my question?

Diagnostic number: 550183188
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Cyrndvm - your issue seems to be classic IP address conflicts. Assign new IP addresses to your sonos units in router or reboot all network devices in your house to resolve. See this thread where I recently explained https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/v9-problems-6813902/index1.html#post16274580

Brit in Canada - appears Sonos hasn't looked at your diagnostic number. Hopefully they pick up on today - if you don't hear from them I would call them on phone with that diagnostic. Sometimes its good to post diagnostic and issue in a fresh new thread where it doesn't get lost in long one like this.
Badge
I used to have a rock solid system, with a mix of one Playbar, two Play5:2, two Play:1 and one Connect. They are using SonosNet originating in a Boost connected to the router via a dumb switch.

This weekend I replaced the two Play:1s with two Ones - to get Airplay. Since then, the system has been very unstable and I've only seen all of the speakers up at the same time for short periods of time. Right now, I can see half of them. The other change occurring in the last week is the upgrade to 9.2. Unfortunately for the purposes of troubleshooting, that was a also a downgrade of the Mac client - but I digress.

Yesterday, I tried resolving it with power cycling - and also with a lot of switching channels. Eventually, they were all back. Later in the night, most were gone. Now, there are still some clients gone - and in the last hour, the visible ones have varied a bit.

Diagnostic: 1316123336
Diagnostic about an hour later: 561114063
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like IP address conflicts. Go in router and assign all new ip addresses that are permanent. Reboot all and you will be in good shape.
Badge
Sounds like IP address conflicts. Go in router and assign all new ip addresses that are permanent. Reboot all and you will be in good shape.

Everything looks OK when looking at IPs. Also, they come for a while - and then disappear.

As for the main suspect in such cases, wireless interference, a scan of wireless networks lists the current Sonos network as the best possible - and there aren't that many other networks nearby.

One strange issue: There are different numbers of visible Sonos players in the desktop app and on my wife's iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That doesn’t mean there isn’t a device in house using ip it shouldn’t. I would give them all new ip addresses that are permanent.

What channel is router on compared to sonosnet ?
Badge
That doesn’t mean there isn’t a device in house using ip it shouldn’t. I would give them all new ip addresses that are permanent.

What channel is router on compared to sonosnet ?

Permanent IPs for everything at home was possible a decade ago, not now. SonosNet is channel 1, my normal wireless inn the 2.4 GHz range is on channel 6.

Various reboots (again) of a couple of Sonos players, Boost, wireless network, fiber gateway + router - no luck in fixing this.
That's odd. I have permanent IPs for everything in my house at this point. What makes that impossible now for you? Or were you using a rhetorical "now"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Aside from the "all devices" argument...

Setting static / reserved IPs for my Sonos gear had caused a lot of issues I was having to quit happening. Took just a few minutes to do and hasn't caused any other problems so I recommend it quite often.
Badge
That's odd. I have permanent IPs for everything in my house at this point. What makes that impossible now for you? Or were you using a rhetorical "now"?

It is possible, but the gain of doing so for the close to 50 units on the network adds up. I'd also have to set up a VM running my own DHCP-server. Strange to think that my home now has more units than when I ran IT for a company around 2005 - pre wireless-on-everything-boom. Anyway, I have complete host lists with IPs and MACs and everything seems OK here.

It is far more likely that it has something to do with the Sonos mesh. Networking and the system was rock solid until the replacement of the Play:1s with One, and the upgrade to 9.2 was just prior to that.
I am having this issue also. Just set up one connect and it keeps stopping altogether and skipping to the next song. My diagnostic is 330157350.
I followed the video regarding interference and changed my router’s channel to auto. Now my Beam (even though it’s connected with Ethernet) isn’t showing up in the app at all. I submitted diagnostics 1650707177.
Hi, my sonos beam is still skipping songs from spotify.
Have tried change all the channels, but still have the same issue.
I am using sonos beam and connected to wireless router.
Here is the diagnostic number 1549463178.
Last update RUINED my entire system. The UX SUCKS. I bet Sonos will be out of business in 5 years due to crap product. Your update DID NOT WORK. Your online help DID NOT WORK. Your app SUCKS. It wasted SO MUCH MONEY on this system. Maybe a SONOS GROUP LAWSUIT is in order?!?!
YOUR LATEST UPDATE RUINED MY SYSTEM. CAN NO LONGER USE!
TWO APP UPDATES AGO MADE MY PLAY1's SOUND LIKE CRAP. LASTEST UPDATE WON'T CONNECT PLAY1's AT ALL!!!!!! ITS NOT INTERFERENCE SONOS! ITS YOUR APP UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wasted yet another evening on your crap product.