Answered

How to stop crackle/ static on sound bar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

Badge
Been having this issue (CRACKLING AUDIO from Playbar & LG OLED TV) for months. Living room group: LG OLED TV, Playbar, Sub, 2x Ones. Tried 3 brand new optical cable, PCM only from all my devices (TiVo, PS4), numerous diagnostics (latest diagnostic 66063024), customer service call (current ticket 00345890). When I called, rep Nicholas M. confirmed it's a known issue and advised to set all devices to PCM (Nicholas somewhat ascribed the problem to the different devices connected to the Playbar switching between various audio outputs/codecs funneled all through the TV--I'd argue that handling and executing changing I/O from various audio channels is exactly the default expectation of a consumer of Sonos/higher end audio equipment). Problem still occurs. Emailed SONOS twice using the original ticket and have had no responses. Very expensive set-up that doesn't provide a decent audio experience--not yet at least. Please, SONOS, either update firmware (so that the device doesn't have gaps in compatibility with other gigantic OEMs), or offer to repair/replace my Playbar.

NOTE: I have a Beam and 2x Play:1s for my bedroom set up that is connected to a LG OLED TV (along with a TiVo, an older PS4, a Chromecast and ext. laptop--switching between all) and I have not experienced any CRACKLING what-so-ever with this group. 😠
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Anny resolution for this isseu
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Same with mine got it replaced did not help either gutted
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos replicated the problem. Have email for proof. But now I do not get any reply on my on going case. Good support Sonos had no reply in 2 weeks !!!!!!!
What if it's a problem with the TV? Why don't you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Diagnostic submitted. Same issue. 881231235
Same problem, playbar + lg oled b8... Sonos get your act together.
What if it's a problem with the TV? Why don't you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Any updates or resolution on this issue? I just had my playbar replaced and I am still experiencing this issue so I think it is related to my wifi network? I am using a 3 mesh Google Wifi setup. Thanks!
@Keith N, any update on that firmware update you mentioned a year ago?

Hi there, pgiliber. Thanks for the details and information. I believe the issue affecting your system is one that we've been talking about in the Community. Our team have been collecting information and are currently waiting on a firmware update from LG and Sony to address the problem. While it is limited to LG OLED and Sony XBR TV's it is certainly something the team is aware of and actively tracking.

Thank you for your patience so far.

The answer and what WORKED for me. Step 1 - update your firmware. Your oled has an internal

speaker so go to to settings and go to sound an ensure under audio outputs it doesn’t say tv sound but audio speakers and that solved the issue. What’s weird is all up until today I had no issues but when I changed to audio output then my tv did work. Try it. I have a Sony a9g oled 

I’m afraid the firmware across my TV and Sonos are up to date. Also the TV’s settings are correct, if they were set to the internal speakers I wouldn’t have run into this problem in the first place :)

Are there any Sonos admins who can help?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I forced Stereo from the Apple TV and the problem seemed to go away for me. If I switch it back, I get the static again almost immediately. 

I have the same config Apple TV → Sony 950g → Playbar

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @taronish,

Are you able to verify that both the Netflix app and the Apple TV are outputting audio in a supported format for Sonos?

Either Dolby Digital or PCM/Stereo?    

I’m having the same issue with my sound bar and two 1s connected to Apple TV-diagnostic 591972843. I called tech support yesterday and they told me to restart my router, which worked for 15 minutes then the static came back again. He also told me to buy the Boost, which I did, but now I’m realizing this is probably due to a bug, so I’ll be returning.

Considering the price tag on these speakers, this is really unacceptable and a big push to move to Bose. Please address this ASAP.

I forced Stereo from the Apple TV and the problem seemed to go away for me. If I switch it back, I get the static again almost immediately. 

I have the same config Apple TV → Sony 950g → Playbar

But Stereo doesn’t produce surround sound right? This is insane 

I don’t have this issue from my Apple TV. But I don’t have a Sony TV, either. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Keydet71

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your diagnostic report. 

Does this only happen when you are streaming video content via the Apple TV? 

Do you also have smart  TV apps, a DVD player or broadcast television that you can test the audio on?

Is there any chance that the Apple TV is broadcasting straight to the Sonos Beam via Airplay rather than through a wired connection to the TV?  

So I am overdue to post an update on my situation - for me the problem hasn’t come back, as long as I have the Apple TV reencode the audio as dolby digital. I think this still means it is fundamentally a bug either on the Sonos side or with the interaction of the Sonos, the AppleTV, and the Sony TV set. This works for now and I can watch Netflix again.

Before this workaround, it was super irritating, because my Sony TV won’t let me use internal speakers when the Sonos is connected - even when I set it to “TV Speakers”, it immediately goes to “audio system active”, which means that to watch Netflix before, I had to unplug the BEAM.

Hello, could use some help here as well. This only started happening after upgrading to the new Sonos S2 app which triggered a firmware update to my system. Since then my audio has been cracking on my playbase via an optical audio connection to my Sony X950G. Diagnostics report: 83800953

Using an Apple TV 4K with Dolby Digital set on the TV and Auto on the Apple TV for everything else. 

Badge +1

Same issue here--I hear the static sound from the rear speakers.  It may be from the Playbar, too, but we are closer to the rears and hear it more there.  Only seems to happen with Apple TV streaming Netflix or whatever.  Audio is running from the Apple TV 4K to TV (Sony XBR-65X950H) to Playbar via optical.

It is somewhat astounding so many people are reporting this problem yet Sonos appears to have nothing to say.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Jmack3g,

In the last diagnostic that you submitted to us, your Playbar is still receiving a stereo or PCM signal from your TV. 

You may want to double-check the output settings just to be sure. 

Does the crackling happen when you use a music source like Pandora or your Music Library?

So I am overdue to post an update on my situation - for me the problem hasn’t come back, as long as I have the Apple TV reencode the audio as dolby digital. I think this still means it is fundamentally a bug either on the Sonos side or with the interaction of the Sonos, the AppleTV, and the Sony TV set. This works for now and I can watch Netflix again.

Before this workaround, it was super irritating, because my Sony TV won’t let me use internal speakers when the Sonos is connected - even when I set it to “TV Speakers”, it immediately goes to “audio system active”, which means that to watch Netflix before, I had to unplug the BEAM.

I have my Apple TV audio set to Dolby Digital but still hear the fuzz. It goes away when I change the output to Stereo, but that disables surround sound, which was the whole point of getting Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I need help with my sound bar.  The static just started after owning the system trouble free for years. I did a diagnostic.  The number is 2132564178.  I have a Sony television.

I looked over your diagnostic and I’m not seeing anything that stands out at a big issue. The Playbar was just rebooted 20 minutes prior to the diagnostic, so it doesn’t have a lot of information in there however. I’d suggest that you give our support team a call to troubleshoot live. They’ll take a look and see if you’re experiencing something related to what was mentioned earlier in the thread, or if it’s something else.

The answer and what WORKED for me. Step 1 - update your firmware. Your oled has an internal

speaker so go to to settings and go to sound an ensure under audio outputs it doesn’t say tv sound but audio speakers and that solved the issue. What’s weird is all up until today I had no issues but when I changed to audio output then my tv did work. Try it. I have a Sony a9g oled