F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Hi. I’ve been told to come here by another user on here. I’ve been having problems with my Sonos one speaker for about a month I think. The app won’t connect to my speaker. I’ve tried all the suggestions on the app and nothing. I’ve managed to get it working once or twice but the next day im back to the same problem. I am a BT customer and have the new router, I’m not technical at all. So what can I do to sort this out. It’s driving me mad as I use my speaker daily, it’s come close to being thrown out of a closed window lol. Thanks 

You mean throw your BT router out? Please read the thread linked by @ratty .

Yeah I am, is there a connection somewhere? I’m just about to throw it out of a closed window and buy a new one. Lol not even my 16 year old son who’s gadget mad knows what’s wrong!! 

You’re not on BT by any chance? 

I’ve got the Sonos one and recently I’ve not been able to use it. The app won’t connect to it. I’ve tried all the “fix it” suggestions on the app and nothing. I’ve managed to get it to work twice using the suggestions and when I’ve gone back the next day to use it, it won’t connect. Nothing changed like WIFI, Placement etc so I don’t know what’s gone on. Can anyone help please? It’s driving me mad as I use it daily. Thanks 

Hello, has anyone tried using another router? “non bt” etc.

tks 

Thanks ClausN. I’ve read the link. Much appreciated 

Hi. Yes I’m on a BT router 

I’ve actually got a better router Nighthawk x6 r8000 which would this and other issues I’m having with the Smart hub 2 but BT are blocking it from working. 

I don’t understand. Turn off the BT WiFi. Make sure the R8000’s WAN/Intenet port is the only thing connected to the BT hub (apart from YouView/IPTV if you have it). Connect everything else to the R8000.

Didn’t realise that was the way to do it. Previously I have just removed the  isp supplied routers and it has worked fine. Presumed I was suppose to do the same.

So modem ➡️smart hub 2 ➡️ R8000

Thanks ratty I will try that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I too seem to be having this issue. I’ve plugged my Beam into the router but it’s still only showing as my TV now, can’t seem to get Alexa to work on it either. Just wondering as I know people have mentioned 2.4ghz affecting streaming services, does anyone have Sky Sports/BT sports through BT and will it affect that? 

Why would the frequency affect streaming services? 30Mbps is more than enough for multiple 4k UHD video streams.

Have you tried changing the wifi channel in the router?

Or maybe you are on a BT router?:

I’ve actually got a better router Nighthawk x6 r8000 which would this and other issues I’m having with the Smart hub 2 but BT are blocking it from working. 

I don’t understand. Turn off the BT WiFi. Make sure the R8000’s WAN/Intenet port is the only thing connected to the BT hub (apart from YouView/IPTV if you have it). Connect everything else to the R8000.

In the last couple of weeks my two Play1 speakers have been disconnecting from my wifi network between each use of the system.

I have to reset the router to get connection back.

any ideas?

This thread has been so helpful. 
Ever since my smart hub 2 was installed I’ve had Sonos issues and have tried everything. The only thing that has worked is to turn off the 5ghz, which is so ridiculous it’s untrue. I’ve actually got a better router Nighthawk x6 r8000 which would this and other issues I’m having with the Smart hub 2 but BT are blocking it from working. What are BT doing? Crazy. I will not be defeated. 

I too seem to be having this issue. I’ve plugged my Beam into the router but it’s still only showing as my TV now, can’t seem to get Alexa to work on it either. Just wondering as I know people have mentioned 2.4ghz affecting streaming services, does anyone have Sky Sports/BT sports through BT and will it affect that? 

Anyone experiencing similar problems with other devices such as wireless printers ?

Our HP Envy 5030 is refusing to operate but says connected to router but remains invisible to laptop iPads and iPhones.

Yes I’m having this problem with my Epson XP-8600 as well as my Sonos speakers …. I’ve submitted a complaint to BT

Yes sky go , iPad/phone all stopped working with sky q box about the same time as my speakers .

Anyone experiencing similar problems with other devices such as wireless printers ?

Our HP Envy 5030 is refusing to operate but says connected to router but remains invisible to laptop iPads and iPhones.

Yes I’m having this problem with my Epson XP-8600 as well as my Sonos speakers …. I’ve submitted a complaint to BT

Wow! Thanks! That must be it! Timing is about right and would explain why phones intermittently see Sonos as phones connect on 5ghz. Cheers Alex

BT smart hub 2. I did wonder that, but it’s has worked no problem for the past 18 months and the phones connect no problem just can’t see Sonos.

It sounds like a router issue.What router are you using?

Hi. iPhones randomly say they can’t see Sonos network, and won’t reconnect. Have tried reboot on router and speaker, uninstalling app, controller reset. Additionally have reset 5 and it says it’s connected but neither phone can see it, then Sonos app says it can’t connect to the app and all the trouble shooting stuff comes up-again! Have even done factory reset, it then works for a short time and back to beginning of phones can’t see network. While all this going on, my Mac can still see and control everything. When I factory reset the phone app said it couldn’t complete registration! But I managed to on the Mac. I have no idea where to start! HELP! please.

Hi, recently bought a Sonos Move. It will not stay connected to the app for more than a couple of minutes over WiFi.  I have no other Sonos products.

Every other device on my network works fine

I can get the radio to play by using Alexa, but I would like to control it with the app. 
I’ve followed the guidelines several times including restarting the hub (BT Smart Hub 2) but makes no difference.

I have the same issue with AirPlay 

Any help gratefully appreciated as I’m tearing my hair out here - it shouldn’t be this difficult!

Thanks 

Thanks Ken,

I've made the workaround changes, and also reported it to BT too, let's see how it goes.

Thank you

Daniel

See this link;

Hello, I have got four Sonos One, two setup as a stereo pair with a Beam.

All speakers are fully up to date, as is the Sonos S2 (v13.0.5).

I have a BT Smart Hub 2, a Samsung S10 phone, and an iPad to control the system, and most days the app cannot connect to the Sonos system.

My mobile devices, and Sonos products are on the same network, if I connect via wire it connects, but as soon as I disconnect, and drop back to wireless the app is unable to connect again. After maybe an hour and a half the app suddenly finds the products and works perfectly...this happens most days and is inconvenient, what can I do to stop this happening?

No other apps or devices get lost on the wireless network, just the Sonos products.

Kind regards

Daniel