F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

So you made no change to the Sonos environment, did make a change to the BT one, fixed the problem that way, but still want to blame Sonos? Even though lots of BT Smart Hub users have an issue that isn’t affecting users of other routers? 

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

Userlevel 1
Badge

G’day; at the moment my Move has appeared back in the system list with everything else (somehow.. no idea why as it’s on 5ghz with my phone whilst everything else is on 2.4.. so this problem is full whacky!)..

Since all is currently well, I’m going to wait it out until it drops or something else ends up happening before I go with the nuclear option of completely resetting everything/calling BT.

I did upgrade to S2 from S1 when it launched.. all my kit is S2 compatible.. well; except for a bridge that I wasn’t using anyway!

I’m hoping that, since ‘BT know about this and are working on a fix’, they will release a further router firmware update that will solve the issue completely.

I also have a Hue Sync box that is too suffering from the issue of 5ghz controllers not reaching it on the 2.4ghz band.

Thanks Nick.. man I was hoping against a whole router factory restore 😣 I’ve got SmartHome devices coming out my ears and I think even if I change the SSID back to what it was, everything will need set up again from scratch… there goes my weekend :-D

How have you got on?

I take it you updated to s2 FROM the s1 app? And it asked you to remove the s1 only speakers?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Nick.. man I was hoping against a whole router factory restore 😣 I’ve got SmartHome devices coming out my ears and I think even if I change the SSID back to what it was, everything will need set up again from scratch… there goes my weekend :-D

I’m a full sufferer of this issue.. whole system not appearing in the S2 app on 14.4.2 iOS. Disabling 5ghz works fine and all speakers available.. but streaming services on TV downgrade to very low bitrate over 2.4ghz so not workable.

Have hardwired a Play:1 but my Move won’t appear (assume it must be on 2.4 and not sonosnet and my phone is on 5).

Let’s hope BT get this sorted! I’ll be ringing and seeing if they can roll my firmware back.

Sorry to hear of your problems.. have you been in touch with Sonos and sent a diag report to them? If not I would… could be something simple!

All is still working perfectly for me this morning.. and like I’ve said above I touched nothing on my system.. chatted to BT… who reset the hub (as it went back to original factory settings) it interestingly uses the same firmware as mentioned! Once the hub was back on, I changed my network Id and password to what we use here at home so all would connect (tv, iPad, phones etc) and a few minutes later all was good 👍

hope you get it all sorted 🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m a full sufferer of this issue.. whole system not appearing in the S2 app on 14.4.2 iOS. Disabling 5ghz works fine and all speakers available.. but streaming services on TV downgrade to very low bitrate over 2.4ghz so not workable.

Have hardwired a Play:1 but my Move won’t appear (assume it must be on 2.4 and not sonosnet and my phone is on 5).

Let’s hope BT get this sorted! I’ll be ringing and seeing if they can roll my firmware back.

I’ve had this problem and it now seems to be resolved 🤞

ive just upgraded to S2 because I’ve just got a Roam..

I wanted to then set up a separate S1 system for my play 5 gen1

on completing, one minute it would work then the next minute it wouldn’t.. roam and move would disappear on some iOS devices but be visible on others..

anyway did as suggested and spoke to BT.. They said they have made some changes and I would have to now reboot the smart hub 2.. they didn’t actually say what they have done..?

Anyway all is working as it should do at the moment 🤞just to confirm during this process I’ve not touched any of the speakers.. hub was just rebooted and once it came on I opened both apps and all was as it should be 👍

I am so glad I found this on here otherwise I’d still be messing about now trying all sorts of different things!

🤞all is ok come morning 😬

Our Sonos system comprises four Sonos:Play1s, a Sonos:Play3 and a Sonos Soundbar. They have all worked fine for nearly 4 years. Now everytime my wife and I try to connect via our Android and iOS Sonos2 apps the system cannot be found. We've followed all advice through the app, managing to temporarily reconnect Sonos to our home WiFi network only for it to fail again and lose connection a couple if hours later.

Are you perhaps using the BT Smart Hub 2 router by any chance? There are some reports that a recent firmware update to that router has been causing issues with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi isolation, which could account for what you are seeing with your Sonos devices.

If so, then perhaps try disabling the 5Ghz WiFi band and see if that fixes your issue. If not, then perhaps ignore my post here.

edit: also see this thread.

Userlevel 7

Are you able to connect any of your Sonos speakers directly to your router with an ethernet cable?

Our Sonos system comprises four Sonos:Play1s, a Sonos:Play3 and a Sonos Soundbar. They have all worked fine for nearly 4 years. Now everytime my wife and I try to connect via our Android and iOS Sonos2 apps the system cannot be found. We've followed all advice through the app, managing to temporarily reconnect Sonos to our home WiFi network only for it to fail again and lose connection a couple if hours later.

Every other device in the home runs fine off our WiFi. There have been no updates to our WiFi network or router and we have submitted multiple diagnostic reports without reply.

Now at a loss with what to do and finding the situation and lack of support incredibly bad for the amount of money spent over the years in Sonos products. 

Please help. 

Here is the confirmation number for one of our recent diagnostic reports: 870734868