F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Badge +17

My understanding is Roam atleast, unsure about Move, have 5ghz capability. So Boost should connect to the all the 2.4ghz speakers and normal WiFi pick up Move/Roam. That’s certainly been my experience with Roam, iOS controller can still see it when it can’t see any of the other speakers. 

Sonos have offered a 30% discount on the Boost, but it’s still £70 I don’t really want to spend. I’d never have considered it, as live in a two bed flat and have never experience any Sonos connection issues prior to this BT issue. 

If you have a Roam or Move in the house I wouldn’t recommend purchasing a Boost to work around this issue. In fact, I wouldn’t be recommending an additional purchase just for getting around this issue anyway. Your best option here would be to disable 5GHz on your BT Smart Hub 2 as I’ve described in my original post.

My understanding is Roam atleast, unsure about Move, have 5ghz capability. So Boost should connect to the all the 2.4ghz speakers and normal WiFi pick up Move/Roam. That’s certainly been my experience with Roam, iOS controller can still see it when it can’t see any of the other speakers. 

Sonos have offered a 30% discount on the Boost, but it’s still £70 I don’t really want to spend. I’d never have considered it, as live in a two bed flat and have never experience any Sonos connection issues prior to this BT issue. 

Like many others having the same issue a couple of questions (from a dumb user)

-  Has anyone tried giving different SSID’s names for the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz leaving 5Ghz for TV and moving everything else to 2.4Ghz?

- I was thinking of buying a Boost but surprised to see this doesn’t work? Wouldn’t it be the same as connecting a speaker by ethernet?

Thanks for all the useful insights 

Hi Boost works same way as hard wiring one of the speakers, it creates its own mesh (Sonosnet) independent of the other 2.4ghz band. You can't change the SSID’s on the SH2. Move and Roam dont use Sonosnet and instead stick to the router supplied 2.4ghz band. The issue is that if you are trying to control sonos using an iPhone or device on the 5ghz band, it won't talk to sonos and vice-versa leaving products missing from menus, dropping in and out and just a total **** up really. Best thing is to disable 5ghz from the advanced menu (if sonos is important to you everyday) and wait for BT to sort it - dont forget to file a complaint as mentioned above

Matt,

Thanks that is really helpful - we don’t have a Move or Roam so the Boost would work for us.

As suggested I have a Complaint raised with BT

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

-  Has anyone tried giving different SSID’s names for the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz leaving 5Ghz for TV and moving everything else to 2.4Ghz?

- I was thinking of buying a Boost but surprised to see this doesn’t work? Wouldn’t it be the same as connecting a speaker by ethernet?

Hi Boost works same way as hard wiring one of the speakers, it creates its own mesh (Sonosnet) independent of the other 2.4ghz band. You can't change the SSID’s on the SH2. Move and Roam dont use Sonosnet and instead stick to the router supplied 2.4ghz band. The issue is that if you are trying to control sonos using an iPhone or device on the 5ghz band, it won't talk to sonos and vice-versa leaving products missing from menus, dropping in and out and just a total **** up really. Best thing is to disable 5ghz from the advanced menu (if sonos is important to you everyday) and wait for BT to sort it - dont forget to file a complaint as mentioned above

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi, just disabled the 5Ghz connection and now all of my Sonos equipment connected straight away with the app. Thanks for the info as I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to sort this out. 👍

Works reliably as a fix/proof point for me.. but I can’t keep the 5ghz band off as then my tv streaming services drop to potato-cam resolution.. this needs a proper permanent fix between BT/Sonos

Can't you have differently ssid's for 2.4gh and 5ghz?, sign all the Sonos kit on to 2.4 (including controller) and all your Smart TV kit on the 5ghz ssid?.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also experiencing this issue. Can see the firmware on my Hub updated on 8 April. Can I suggest you don’t just report to BT, but raise as a complaint here: https://www.bt.com/help/complaints it only takes a couple of minutes to complete the web form. Hopefully if there is enough complaints they will do something about it quicker. 

on to it now cheers

Also experiencing this issue. Can see the firmware on my Hub updated on 8 April. Can I suggest you don’t just report to BT, but raise as a complaint here: https://www.bt.com/help/complaints it only takes a couple of minutes to complete the web form. Hopefully if there is enough complaints they will do something about it quicker. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sounds like the Boost is pretty much redundant until this issue is sorted out then.

Hopefully BT will pull their fingers out and provide a fix soon!

Forgot to add, i have a Boost too, bought it 2 weeks ago when this started, all worked fine at first and the the roam and move started playing up again and showing up in the 5ghz channel ?? Will keep the boost tho anyway (even the the move and roam dont use Sonosnet) may be useful in future! 

Sounds like the Boost is pretty much redundant until this issue is sorted out then.

Hopefully BT will pull their fingers out and provide a fix soon!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Me too, i have Play 3, X2 Play 1, Beam, Move and Roam and its completely screwed up my connectivity via both iOS app and mac controller. Only solution to switch off the 5ghz on the SH2 and wait for bloody BT to get their act together

Badge +17

Hi @skg21,

What kind of router do you have? Is it a BT Smart Hub 2? If so, have a read of this article and let me know how you get on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is very interesting a good to know as I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last few weeks.

I have 2 x Play1, 1 x OneSL, 1 x Beam and 1 x Boost

Ive been having connectivity issues and a couple of weeks ago we couldn’t connect at all.

Today I have unplugged my Boost and hardwire the Beam instead - all seems to be working again. Not ideal though as the Boost is new 🙄🙄

is this only an issue with the Smart Hub 2 as we’re thinking of moving over to Virgin anyway, so hoping the issue will resolve itself?

I’ve heard it’s only a BT issue with users with SmartHub 2, firmware update on 10th April is buggy and isolating devices on 5ghz communicating with devices on 2.4ghz.

From my perspective and for what it’s worth, I can  confidently say this is a BT router firmware issue as I was fine before 10th April, and now my Sonos system (which is all on the 2.4ghz with exception of a 5ghz Move) can’t connect to my phone/controller when it’s on the 5ghz band.

Furthermore, I have a Hue Sync Box on the 2.4ghz that my Hue Sync app also can’t reach.

As soon as I turn the 5ghz band off.. boom.. all works perfectly.

I have to have 5ghz on though as bandwidth is too limited on 2.4ghz. I’ve Ethernet-connected a Play:1 in to the router, that allows me to have 5ghz on as ‘sonosnet’ doesn’t care about 2.4 versus 5.. but means I can only intermittently reach my Sonos Move.

Fingers crossed for a router firmware update from BT.

This is very interesting a good to know as I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last few weeks.

I have 2 x Play1, 1 x OneSL, 1 x Beam and 1 x Boost

Ive been having connectivity issues and a couple of weeks ago we couldn’t connect at all.

Today I have unplugged my Boost and hardwire the Beam instead - all seems to be working again. Not ideal though as the Boost is new 🙄🙄

is this only an issue with the Smart Hub 2 as we’re thinking of moving over to Virgin anyway, so hoping the issue will resolve itself?

Thank you.

I have checked that page and under the ‘2.4Ghz’ - Sonos ZP is listed - I presume that is the Beam?

If I turn off the 5.Ghz, do you think it will effect the internet connections to my other devices?

Thanks again

It shouldn’t be a issue. All my devices are connecting fine. 

Thank you.

I have checked that page and under the ‘2.4Ghz’ - Sonos ZP is listed - I presume that is the Beam?

If I turn off the 5.Ghz, do you think it will effect the internet connections to my other devices?

Thanks again

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, just disabled the 5Ghz connection and now all of my Sonos equipment connected straight away with the app. Thanks for the info as I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to sort this out. 👍

Works reliably as a fix/proof point for me.. but I can’t keep the 5ghz band off as then my tv streaming services drop to potato-cam resolution.. this needs a proper permanent fix between BT/Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

This month I switched from Sky to BT and I have since had issues updating my WiFi password in the Sonos 2 app.  

The Beam itself has connected to the internet as Alexa is working, for example, but the app keeps stating that the Beam isn’t connected to the internet and it won’t accept my password.  As a result, I can’t access my account details on the App (it is greyed out) and I can’t Airplay music to it either.

I have tried deleting the app, turning off the Beam, etc, to no avail.

Do you think this issue is related to the problem reported on this thread (as I have the Smart Hub 2 router), or something else?

Thank you,

Simon 

Sounds like it Simon.. have you tried disabling the 5ghz band from the routers’ home/admin page? http://192.168.1.254.. the fact that the Beam can play internet streamed content/connect to Alexa but you can’t manage it from the controller app sounds like it would be related to this issue.

Hi,

My sonos has been working fine since day 1, but suddenly this week every time we go to use it the app cant find the system and the only way to fix it is to reboot the router - not only is this really painful, but I shouldnt need to - any ideas on how to fix?

Hi there,

This month I switched from Sky to BT and I have since had issues updating my WiFi password in the Sonos 2 app.  

The Beam itself has connected to the internet as Alexa is working, for example, but the app keeps stating that the Beam isn’t connected to the internet and it won’t accept my password.  As a result, I can’t access my account details on the App (it is greyed out) and I can’t Airplay music to it either.

I have tried deleting the app, turning off the Beam, etc, to no avail.

Do you think this issue is related to the problem reported on this thread (as I have the Smart Hub 2 router), or something else?

Thank you,

Simon 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Add me to the list of people having trouble with this BT update.

I’m not a Sonos user, but I started having difficulty playing media over DLNA on my PS4 in early April. I switched to a spare Chromecast which was equally problematic. I then realised it was all related to how 2.4ghz devices interacted with 5ghz devices, and here we are. I made a thread on the BT forum, and then found this one.

Let’s hope they get this sorted.

Thanks for sharing.. good to know the wider impacts beyond just Sonos use

Add me to the list of people having trouble with this BT update.

I’m not a Sonos user, but I started having difficulty playing media over DLNA on my PS4 in early April. I switched to a spare Chromecast which was equally problematic. I then realised it was all related to how 2.4ghz devices interacted with 5ghz devices, and here we are. I made a thread on the BT forum, and then found this one.

Let’s hope they get this sorted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Suffering this issue myself and its getting pretty frustrating. 

Have a mixed bag of a system here. 

2 Sonos One 

2 Ikea Symfonsik 

2 Amazon Echo Dots 

A couple of weeks back the Symfonisk’s became very hit and miss. Would fail to connect via Airplay and would just disappear from the Sonos App. 

The Sonos One’s would work fine during this period so assumed maybe the Symfonisks were failing. However the Echo Dots I discovered could happily control the Symfonisks regardless of whether they were showing in the Sonos App/Airplay so they were working but for whatever reason the Sonos App was ‘losing’ them. 

This was all happening on the older BT Home Hub 2 and right up until that point a few weeks back I had experienced no real issues.  

Anyway I Have recently changed to the Full Fibre BT package and that comes with the BT Smart Hub 2. 

The fun and games that people are experiencing have taken full effect. 

Spent hours trying to get the Sonos/Ikea connected to the network. When they connected it was short lived. I have done everything that the numerous threads have suggested but still having issues. 

The Echo Dots worked instantly and in minutes and have worked perfectly since and can also still control (either via voice control or using the Alexa App) the Sonos/Ikea speakers regardless of what the Sonos App/Airplay are doing. 

To me it seems disingenuous to put this squarely on BT although it may be the case but for me my issues have existed prior to the Smart Hub 2 ‘upgrade’ so lead me to believe that a recent Sonos App update is also causing issues. 

Hope something gets sorted soon as currently I have £600 worth of speakers sat largely useless whilst the cheap as chips Echo Dots work flawlessly. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This issue has garbaged my Sonos for weeks- extremely disappointing. It can only have been caused by a Sonos app update. How can Sonos blame BT?! 

I finally solved it by turning off Smart Setup on the Home Hub then resetting it. This keeps 5gz.

Hey; I am also having the same issue with a Hue Sync Box on 2.4ghz that I can’t reach with the controller from 5ghz.. so I’m pretty comfortable that this is a BT issue.

It also started happening around 2nd week of April which is exactly when my Smart Hub 2 firmware was updated by BT..