F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Went into my Hub manager and turned off 5GHz. Now all ok. 

Challenge with this topic is that you have to KNOW its a Router issue to find it (found this AFTER speaking with support and finding out my BT HUB 2 was on the problematic Firmware version (V.026.03.1286)..

Don't understand why this hasn't been EMAILED to the entire SONOS UK user base so we don't have to spend WEEKS about to throw all our equipment away - on top of the issue where our initial Play5 is now merely a VERY expensive paperweight, this really did feel like the final straw in sacking the whole system. 

Come on SONOS be PROACTIVE!!  

Thanks Rod111. Let me know please!

how do I look for the firmware version mine is running?

So my firmware version has updated to v.0.26.04.04227-BT will be interesting to see if this makes any difference 

If only I’d come here first!

I have dropped the 5Ghz network to only 2.4 and now have a sluggish connection with my Sonos system. Some speakers appear then disappear . Tracks can’t be stopped playing (Spotify), can’t change speakers and then,…. it’s all on again! Oh, but now it’s off again…..

I had no idea it might be the Smart Hub 2 firmware.

4-5 weeks for the patch, but it’s hard to id the date of that. Will it be in May?

I too have had SH2 connection issues for the past week or so, have reported to BT and received a voicemail today stating 

“this is not our problem, there is nothing we can do and you’ll have to speak to the speaker manufacturer”. They then marked my case as closed immediately after the voicemail.

great. 

Firmware has just updated to v0.26.04.04227-BT. Some functionality is working but sonos still has a very slow and flaky connection. Router restarted and 5ghz turned back on

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

4-5 weeks?! Can I just be the first to say, ‘where’s my bloody update’ 🙄 

BT complaints called today and whilst there wasn’t an update on when things would be resolved, the guidance was it was being treated as an unprecedented situation and there was teams working on a fix. They were unable to give an estimate timescale for resolution. However they did agree to a bill credit towards the cost of purchasing a Sonos Boost. I don’t have an option to wire any of my speakers, as the router is in the top of a utility cupboard. 

Seperately, Sonos support emailed today to say they had had an update from BT that they were anticipating a fix in 4-5 weeks time. They asked for details of my router firmware version, when it was updated, and the serial. They advised they were passing this on directly to BT to ensure Sonos users could be prioritised for a fix being pushed out.

Interestingly seeing the same, date of last firmware update has changed from 8-Apr-2021 to 4-May-2021, however the version is still unchanged. The issues also persists, so I don’t think anything has changed. 

I’ve just noticed that my firmware number is the same but firmware date is now dated today. Can anyone else confirm the same. Haven’t tested the sonos issues etc yet as not home from work

Badge

On the phone with BT now.  Unfortunately my advisor doesn’t know anything of the issue and has put me on hold.  update … they have suggested a roll out this week.  They have added my hub to an escalation list to get patch/fixed first.

I have just spoke to BT and they have said this issue will be sorted by 12th May - Here’s Hoping!!

Badge +17

Hey everyone,

I have an update to share with you all regarding this issue.

BT have let us know that they are working towards pushing a fix to affected routers over the next 4-5 weeks. This will be rolled out in waves due to the high number of BT Smart Hub 2 units in customers homes, as well as making sure that the new firmware has no further issues and correctly resolves this problem. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

UPDATE

After raising a complaint with BT I had yet to hear anything from BT.  So I decided to direct message them on Twitter. Almost instance response. The handler switched off 5ghz frequency remotely. Everything now works, so again it confirm the issue is with BT. This isn’t a viable long term solution though for me. 

What the BT handler said to me when I questioned losing 5ghz

👍The 5 Ghz band is only faster  than the 2.4 Ghz band when in the same room as the hub and this is  only really  above  135Mbps for most applications you would not notice any difference ,The 2,4 Ghz is a stronger signal penetrating walls etc. better”

I’m paying for faster broadband than 135Mbps and I expect full functionality of my BT smart hub. This complaint isn’t resolved for me. I shouldn’t have to have 5Ghz permanently switched off. 

I didn’t find this to be the case - with 5GhZ turned off my BT service was virtually unuseable.

Yes it’s not ideal. My speed has dropped to 40Mbps on my wifi devices. 

BT have advised me this a fix should be out this week. They also advised if you are connecting to things like BT discs then you won't be affected (links into the boost post above). It’s only when you connect direct to the Hub. 

UPDATE

After raising a complaint with BT I had yet to hear anything from BT.  So I decided to direct message them on Twitter. Almost instance response. The handler switched off 5ghz frequency remotely. Everything now works, so again it confirm the issue is with BT. This isn’t a viable long term solution though for me. 

👍The 5 Ghz band is only faster  than the 2.4 Ghz band when in the same room as the hub and this is  only really  above  135Mbps for most applications you would not notice any difference ,The 2,4 Ghz is a stronger signal penetrating walls etc. better”

I’m paying for faster broadband than 135Mbps and I expect full functionality of my BT smart hub. This complaint isn’t resolved for me. I shouldn’t have to have 5Ghz permanently switched off. 

I didn’t find this to be the case - with 5GhZ turned off my BT service was virtually unuseable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

UPDATE

Badge

Well that didn't last for long!! 

Changing Wireless Mode to 2 didn't fix the problem. Had to resort to switching off 5GHz

Userlevel 1
Badge

UPDATE

I found only devices that left the house i.e my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone had the issue. Two iPads, a Mac book and a surface pro didn’t have the connection issues even when put in airplane mode or turned off and on. 

To be honest the whole process of connecting 9 speakers was far easier through the boost than when I used to set up directly through the router so long term it’s  made the Sonos adding speakers process better. 

I too have just discovered this thread, having tried to sort things out for the last week. Whilst switching off the Private Address setting on my iPad gave a short lived reconnection, this too failed the next day. Most of the time my Mac would connect. I have got fed up trying to clear the problem using the instructions given by the app as has my wife! 🤦‍♀️

Having switched off the 5GHz band I was immediately reconnected and I have lodged a complaint with BT. Hopefully a further update will sort the problem shortly as I do not see why I should have to use a slower WiFi band in perpetuity. 🙏  I may try the hardwired solution if things do not move fast.

My system keeps failing to connect to the app, I can connect it after turning everything off and the router back on, then the next day it can not connect again. 

Forgot to mention the third solution is hard wire a speaker to create the Network. This wasn’t an option for me however as my router isn’t near any of the speakers. 

I think the key is to set it all up with 5ghz turned off then turn on when you are happy sonos is working correctly. 

BT did originally try playing it down until the customer service advisor tried her system while on the phone and got the same error. Was quite easy to get the money credited to my account after that : )

Hi all,

I believe I was one of the first to flag this issue up to BT around 3-4 weeks ago. Quite a long story how we got to the below but in short the way the issue was resolved for me was the below:

• factory reset all speakers. 
  • buy a sonos boost (BT refunded me the cost of this when I logged a complaint)
  • Turn off 5ghz and install the boost followed by all speakers. 
  • ensure Sonos all working correctly via boost with 5ghz still turned off. 
  • turn on 5ghz again
  • all fixed. Been running flawlessly for 2weeks now since running the system in this set up. 

Three other work colleagues (all with BT) have since done the above and all their systems are working ok now also. 

Yes, turning off 5ghz will also resolve the issue but my Wi-fi speeds went from 280mbps to around 60mbps so that to me wasn’t a solution I’d have been happy with. 

That’s great to here. I’ll ask my man at BT. I would still prefer to just hook my superior router . Although a free Sonos Boost sounds like a great thing. Thanks 

Hi all,

I believe I was one of the first to flag this issue up to BT around 3-4 weeks ago. Quite a long story how we got to the below but in short the way the issue was resolved for me was the below:

• factory reset all speakers. 
  • buy a sonos boost (BT refunded me the cost of this when I logged a complaint)
  • Turn off 5ghz and install the boost followed by all speakers. 
  • ensure Sonos all working correctly via boost with 5ghz still turned off. 
  • turn on 5ghz again
  • all fixed. Been running flawlessly for 2weeks now since running the system in this set up. 

Three other work colleagues (all with BT) have since done the above and all their systems are working ok now also. 

Yes, turning off 5ghz will also resolve the issue but my Wi-fi speeds went from 280mbps to around 60mbps so that to me wasn’t a solution I’d have been happy with. 

Still having trouble with this. My router is getting blocked despite following all the advice above and anything I could find online. I’ve got a man from BT ringing me during the week so I will report back what happens.

At least I’ve got Sonos working now even though it is at the expense of 5ghz