ASUS RT-AX86U & SONOS CONNECTION ISSUE SOLVED!

• 12 December 2020
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Userlevel 2

+1. With QoS enabled, I couldn’t add a new speaker to the system, couldn’t play music on speakers, speakers keep dropping, etc. Spent lot of hours troubleshooting. My system started working seamlessly when I disabled the QoS feature.

I use Asus ZenWiFi AX6600 (XT8) router

Userlevel 1

If turn off Qos does not work, try down grade firmware back to 3.0.0.4_384_9318, it works for me after 2weeks of try to fix Sonos one and Playbar because my Sonos one SL is working so the problem must be the speaker. My router is Rt-AX 86U. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Evielwine, the only way I managed to get things working again is back to the old firmware ( Version 3.0.0.4.384.9318 ). No issues every since. Unfortunately the changes I made above only lasted a few days before things disappear again.

Here is the link to the Bios.

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I'm willing to try the merlin build, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll make sure I can still get the old firmware, or still have it saved, before I give it a go.

Other than the sonos issue, I can't complain about the asus firmware.  Since the sonos speakers are used all the time, that's a pretty big issue. Since we're mostly wfh, having a good reliable home network is super critical though. Maybe merlin can deliver.

...I decided to fully update my routers and do a factory reset on them.  .. It worked, no other custom changes or drop downs.. just factory reset and its gold.  Hope this helps someone.

Note, I’m running - 3.0.0.4.386_43084-g728dd24

This is working for me, too. RT-AX86U router

installed latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_45375

then a hard factory reset

Sonos working fine

Userlevel 2
Badge

A few things I’ll note about my AX-86U settings--not sure any of this is relevant to the performance I’m getting, but fyI--and if you want to know about any other settings, please let me know and I’ll post.

I use SmartConnect so 2.4 and 5GHz bands appear as one network name and the Asus directs traffic to the “best” band in real time. Or so they say, lol. 

Guest networking is off--not because of Sonos, I just don’t need one. 

2.4GHz control channel is set to 6. I’ve had problems with Sonos connections when control channel is set to Auto. Of course, hard to say definitively if the Auto setting IS what causes the dropped connection issues, but it “seems” to contribute to them. Since I’m having good results with 6, I’m sticking with it. 5GHz is set to auto, but not a factor since Sonos in 2.4GHz only. 

I am not in a wifi friendly environment--I live in a 250 until apartment bldg in NYC, so plenty of wifi usage around me… but this was never an issue with my AC-88U. 

Why is anyone in this thread still trying to use these Asus routers? Get a router from an actual network company, eg AmpliFi, and quit wasting your time with these terrible Asus devices.

Since you’re recommending -- how are Sonos systems with Mikrotik routers?

And FWIW, many people have already made what could be considered significant investments ($$) in their Asus routers, and changing up is impractical.  Asus-Merlin is still a thriving community, so it would be behoove many to stay on that platform.

Badge

I changed my settings yesterday to enable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 and 5ghz bands and set the control channel to 6 for 2.4 Ghz while leaving 5ghz set to auto.  That seems to make things stable as long as I keep the Guest Network off.  If I turn on the Guest Network, my Sonos speakers continue to lose connection.

Hey everyone, just adding to this - I just got an ASUS RT-AX86U, and I have a new Play:5 and an older Sonos Playbar+Sub. The Play:5 worked fine, but the playbar and sub would get 1001 and 704 errors. Just factory resetting the router and reconnecting the sonos devices to the network via the app did the trick. I turned Smart Connect off just because I want the separate bands for other reasons, but otherwise left with default settings (QOS off etc.).

Still sitting on firmware that's from October because Asus can't play well with Sonos.

Sonos should probably encourage customers to go for other router options. I would have chosen something else had I known.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting! So it seems that Guest Networks enabled is at least one of the settings that causes the dropped connection issue. I think I’m up to almost 2 weeks without losing my connection even once. By the way, if your connection does get dropped, try cycling the power switch on the ASUS router to restore it. I’ve been finding that I mostly don’t have to reboot my Sonos system any longer to restore the connection—just the router. The Arc comes back online pretty quickly, but the Sub and Surrounds take a while longer. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have just bought a new Asus RT-AX86U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_22068 so as to be able to use a VPN and am experiencing the same issue as detailed in the many posts here and elsewhere.

I have reset all my Sonos speakers to factory settings and reinstalled and all seems good until after a few minutes they all show as disconnected again. I have followed all prompts to re-connect  in the Sonos S2 app and lost count of the number of reboots and I have chatted online with Sonos support who then said I would need to contact telephone support all of whom have viewed multiple diagnostic reports all to no avail; my last contact ended with me disabling Wi-Fi 6 and everything appeared connected and working only to all appear disconnected again a couple of minutes after I thanked support and ended the call.

I am now using my Internet suppliers router for Sonos and the Asus for everything else.

Badge

I changed my settings yesterday to enable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 and 5ghz bands and set the control channel to 6 for 2.4 Ghz while leaving 5ghz set to auto.  That seems to make things stable as long as I keep the Guest Network off.  If I turn on the Guest Network, my Sonos speakers continue to lose connection.

Just an update.  My Sonos Beam disconnects off and on with these settings …. it definitely seemed more stable with Wi-Fi 6 disabled.

Badge

charlesnyc, I have a pc but the procedure should be the same for me as you.  One other thing, once you install merlin, can you go back to the stock Asus firmware, if need be?  Also, any issues with merlin not keeping your previous settings? Thanks for your help.

Are there any iOS users here? I tried two days connect Sonos to my new Asus rt-ax86u with Android, no success. Tried my wife's IPhone for Sonos network update and success right away! All speakers found immediately.

Router is with newest firmware and airtime fairness off, QoS off.

Badge

Has anyone tried the newest version (3.0.0.4.386.44130) yet?

Would be great to be able to confirm if it’s working reliably for Sonos since it seems like the RT-AX86U is very finicky w/ Sonos with certain firmware versions. Currently still all the way back on 3.0.0.4.384_9318 since I know it’s reliable.

Hey All,

Everyone that are still having issues, I called support yesterday and they have been super helpful. 

They helped me change something and I’m on the latest version of the firmware and have not had disconnections in the last 24 hrs. I have a RT-AX86U on 3.0.0.4.386_41535

Here is my 2.4GHz settings (I’ll try enable AX mode and Target Time to Wake later on as these were my own changes but I just need some stability right now!):

I don’t the changes I did mean, but I followed this and it worked with the latest firmware.

Could be coincidence, though. I got them all to connect earlier without these changes, but then I moved my wifi and reconnected it differently. I then lost my Sonos one speaker, but maintained two of my Play 1s and Sonos Arc Surround (Arc+2 Play 1s+Subwoofer).

Tried resetting the Sonos One, plugging it through Ethernet and then disconnecting, rebooted everything a million times. 

This seemed to work. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are there any iOS users here? I tried two days connect Sonos to my new Asus rt-ax86u with Android, no success. Tried my wife's IPhone for Sonos network update and success right away! All speakers found immediately.

Router is with newest firmware and airtime fairness off, QoS off.

Your phone is probably connecting on 2.4GHz and your wife’s on 5GHz (or vice versa). These routers are infamous for messing up broadcasts between radio frequencies. Please, choose a different router.

Just wanted to add to this as I’m having the same issue with my setup (RT-AX86U, Arc + Sub Gen 3).

Constant dropouts of the gear within the Sonos app > reboot fixes it for all of 5 minutes.

I’ve just updated to Merlin’s latest beta firmware > factory reset the router then reapplied my existing config settings.

Not using smart connect.

Disabled QoS, disabled STP, disabled Airtime fairness.

Set my 2.5GHz channel to Band 6, 20 Hz, disabled wifi 6.

Was working overnight and will check again this evening after spending 12 hours at work but suspect the issue will remain.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve stuck with Merlin’s latest “Release” version of the firmware. I see he has posted a couple of beta builds of what will become the next release version when finished, But since I’m now only getting a dropped connection once a week—maybe twice on occasion—I can easily live with that and don’t want to chance messing it up. I remember what it was like when connections dropped again within 5 mins after a total reboot—that was really painful. 

Just got home and connected to wifi and it's still working on the app so fingers crossed one of the above settings has somewhat remedied it. At this point once a week dropouts would be great. Early days but I'll update this post if anything further develops.

hi all, thank you all who contributed constructively here. I too have a Asus router AX88U and had dropped connections with my beam + sub + 2 SL Ones. it happens whenever i turn on my guest network. Even after i deactivate the guest network, the sonos will go missing. Never understood why. I tried all the solutions suggested here excluding rolling back the firmware. Nothing has really worked. But i tried to update my firmware to 

Version 3.0.0.4.386.42819

2021/04/29 

after the firmware update, i did a factory restore of my router.

I also deleted all my sonos speakers and re add them. 

So far so good. I have not tried turning on the guest network as i am tired of all these troubleshooting and my family have been complaining that i keep bringing down the internet/speakers to troubleshoot. haha. FINGERS crossed!

Badge

So before installing Merlin, I thought I would do what some other threads recently said fixed their Sonos devices, which was to upgrade to the latest firmware and then do a factory reset. 

I did a factory reset yesterday afternoon (already had latest firmware) and so far almost 24 hours and no disconnects.  Will keep you updated.

I think Asus AX router has compatibility issues with Sonos and Airplay 2.
Before I had a Asus AC68U with no issue, rock solid.

Two months ago I bought a Asus AX68U and it has been a headache to get it to work with Sonos (Ikea Symfonisk) and Airplay 2 speakers.
I have made all the recommended settings on the router I could find on the net. It is more stable but still loses connection from day to day.

Using latest Merlin 386.3_2, factory reset.

Similar issues here, but changing the before mentioned settings didn't help. Sonos devices kept disappearing and when they were listed they couldn't connect to the radio stations. I solved it by changing the authentication method in my router from WPA2/WPA3-Personal to WPA/WPA2-Personal.

It used to work fine until I upgraded to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42095 with the WPA2/WPA3 setting as WPA2 should be supported.