Sonos contributing to electronic waste

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

What would help make this a good scheme is for Sonos to declare prominently that it will remain a Sonos policy from here on out: Put up an approved/registered model for recycling at any time in the future and the new unit will be discounted by 30%. That should allow for software upgrades that render units obsolete to be not as unpopular as they are now, and also not have people rush to recycle simply in anticipation of this happening.

From my understanding, Sonos intends to keep the program going indefinitely, but obviously, they cannot promise that the program will continue for as long as Sonos remains in business.  If it proves to be bad for business in whatever way, I’m sure they will put an end to it as a reasonable time.  As far as people rushing to recycle, your assuming that people are actually doing that.  It’s possible, but as far as know, Sonos hasn’t released any numbers on that.  There are those on here that think it’s a sign that older programs will be de-supportted, but it’s just speculation that the general Sonos customer thinks that way.  Regardless, there isn’t a reason to think that Sonos would end the old products without giving customers a chance to apply for the discount.

The smart thing for a customer to do would be to weigh in the personal value of the old products and whether or not it makes sense for them to get a new product.  This is what I’m doing and what everyone else who’s shared their plans is doing.  I’m not sure why the general Sonos customer would just panic and trade in their working units under some assumption that they have to.

One thing that bother’s me about the whole argument that the Sonos program trade up program is environmentally flawed is it places all ‘blame’ for recycling instead of reuse on Sonos and not on the individual person who chooses to participate in the program.   I get that Sonos is changing the dynamics of the decision to recycle or reuse with this program, but if reuse is important to the customer, they will make the choice to reuse instead of recycle despite incentives.  It’s ultimately still the customers values that matter, and the customers decisions to make.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Kumar If what you say is true, why are so many people concerned about Sonos not upgrading to SMB v2?

Speaking as a security professional: the problem is SMBv1 is that it has known vulnerabilities that will not be fixed.  If you wish to use the advertised capability of playing from a network share, you have to either use only network shares on Windows or Macs, using the Sonos App’s http sharing, or leave your SMB share server using the vulnerable SMBv1, whether it’s a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer or a NAS device.  This doesn’t present a danger to your Sonos devices, but to those sharing systems should another machine in your network become infected with malware that attacks SMBv1.  This is the problem that concerns people.  

I don’t - but I find the concept of selling new kit to people that in a few months time you’re going to be saying simply isn’t up to scratch - to the degree that you’re offering trade-in terms - to be a bit bizarre...

But that is not what you said.  You stated “we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago”, as if they were actually Connects being bricked a few months after a sale. 

Nothing but melodrama and FUD (as usual).  

Further to the above, my computers are Mac, phones are Androids. If that is relevant to the questions.

@Kumar If what you say is true, why are so many people concerned about Sonos not upgrading to SMB v2?

I have asked questions; I have not said what the answers are, let alone saying they are true or false.

I have not delved into the SMB question for the same reasons; it does not bother me. Perhaps the answers to my questions, once validated, will get me worried, but I tend to doubt that, based on common sense. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All systems that are connected to the internet need updates. If not to add functions, then for safety concerns.

Say I have a Connect Amp, used to play just CDs ripped to a NAS. Both connected to the internet connected router. What could happen, other than the Connect Amp stopping playing as a worst case, if updates were turned off? 

Or for that matter, even where the Connect Amp is used to play Apple Music. 

Could someone raid my bank account  to which I have internet access and empty it once updates are off? If so, how?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All systems that are connected to the internet need updates. If not to add functions, then for safety concerns.

That should allow for software upgrades that render units obsolete to be not as unpopular as they are now….

You’re kidding, surely? But then I can only agree with your :-

Why there need at all to be such upgrades that get units wasted before the hardware fails is a different question altogether, I suppose, and one that I would still ask for what is merely a home audio system. I

Even if this is a mistake we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago…. Can’t be right, surely….

What makes you think someone who bought a Connect a few months ago is going to voluntarily brick their unit?

I don’t - but I find the concept of selling new kit to people that in a few months time you’re going to be saying simply isn’t up to scratch - to the degree that you’re offering trade-in terms - to be a bit bizarre...

Except the price of the Port goes up $50 one week from today (in the US) which offsets much of the advantage of the discount. 

So long as there still is a significant discount available on whatever is the existing price of a new Port in the future, this still won’t generate a lot of waste. 

What would help make this a good scheme is for Sonos to declare prominently that it will remain a Sonos policy from here on out: Put up an approved/registered model for recycling at any time in the future and the new unit will be discounted by 30%. That should allow for software upgrades that render units obsolete to be not as unpopular as they are now, and also not have people rush to recycle simply in anticipation of this happening.

Why there need at all to be such upgrades that get units wasted before the hardware fails is a different question altogether, I suppose, and one that I would still ask for what is merely a home audio system. It is the largely meaningless upgrades that are making for more electronic waste, not the trade up scheme that is being misidentified as such. But Sonos is a very small part of an environment that is geared to this way of living in every domain, with fashion in personal wear leading the bandwagon, so it isn't easy to see how Sonos can buck this trend all by itself.

Is there an announced deadline when the trade up offer expires? It seems to me that there should not be any, so that if I were to choose an upgrade anytime in future that were to render my Connect unusable, and I wanted to get a replacement Port, it should be available to me with a 30% discount.

That would reduce the furore now, I imagine, as well as make the upgrade in future more palatable to everyone. And someone that opts for the trade up just now would do so only to get the additional features on the Port, and not out of any perceived need to mitigate the risk of obsolescence.

Except the price of the Port goes up $50 one week from today (in the US) which offsets much of the advantage of the discount. If you really want to get a Port using the maximum advantage of the discount you only have a few days to go through the recycle process to get your discount voucher and then place your order. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The “trade-up a device” program end date hasn’t been mentioned that I have seen.

Once traded in the discount is permanent, only expires when used.

I have one sitting in the pool, waiting for something I can’t resist.

Is there an announced deadline when the trade up offer expires? It seems to me that there should not be any, so that if I were to choose an upgrade anytime in future that were to render my Connect unusable, and I wanted to get a replacement Port, it should be available to me with a 30% discount.

That would reduce the furore now, I imagine, as well as make the upgrade in future more palatable to everyone. And someone that opts for the trade up just now would do so only to get the additional features on the Port, and not out of any perceived need to mitigate the risk of obsolescence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Who would pay new prices for a Connect just to brick it when you get the same rebate for the cheapest (barely) working one off ebay?

Now a contractor that has a lot invested in their connect setups might want to grab a spare or two at new prices.

Even if this is a mistake we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago…. Can’t be right, surely….

What makes you think someone who bought a Connect a few months ago is going to voluntarily brick their unit?

I would guess that’s more of an issue with updating the website  or marketing oversight rather than intentionally misleading customers.  But if that’s the sort of thing that you normally find unethical, then so be it.

It's reasonable to suggest a simple oversight or blame marketing (let me guess you don't work in marketing lol). But The recycle program was announced Oct 30 2019. Too long for simple mistake. So yes I'm willing to call it out for what it is. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I would guess that’s more of an issue with updating the website  or marketing oversight rather than intentionally misleading customers.  But if that’s the sort of thing that you normally find unethical, then so be it.

It's reasonable to suggest a simple oversight or blame marketing (let me guess you don't work in marketing lol). But The recycle program was announced Oct 30 2019. Too long for simple mistake. So yes I'm willing to call it out for what it is. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It isn't $50 more than the Port. I (was) looking at the connect.  Very lame and unethical of them not to be upfront about this. 

I misspoke.  $50 less.  Not sure what you are claiming is lame and unethical?  That the Connect is still for sale while available for tradeup?  That the Connect sale page is some what hidden on the site?

Neither. The Sonos connect product page says "enjoy incredible performance"- but is part of the recycle program that Sonos says is for devices that lack the "the processing power and memory to support modern Sonos experiences". 

It isn't $50 more than the Port. I (was) looking at the connect.  Very lame and unethical of them not to be upfront about this. 

I misspoke.  $50 less.  Not sure what you are claiming is lame and unethical?  That the Connect is still for sale while available for tradeup?  That the Connect sale page is some what hidden on the site?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Lmgtfy lol :)

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/last-chance

Well, agreed then that it should probably be removed.  Not sure why anyone would buy them for $50 more than the Port, unless they were unaware of when the Connect  was first released.  

I get that Sonos likely has some stock they are trying to unload, and do believe the units will function just fine for several years.   I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

Where is the Connect listed for sale on the Sonos site?  I don’t see it anywhere, including under refurbished products?

Well, agreed then that it should probably be removed.  Not sure why anyone would buy them for $50 more than the Port, unless they were unaware of when the Connect  was first released.  

I get that Sonos likely has some stock they are trying to unload, and do believe the units will function just fine for several years.   I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

Where is the Connect listed for sale on the Sonos site?  I don’t see it anywhere, including under refurbished products?