Sonos contributing to electronic waste

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Ok I'm looking at buying a new Connect. This would be marked for recycling right away? 

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

I thought it was only the zp80/90 version? 

Is there a difference between the ZP90 and the Connect apart from branding? Does the Connect have more memory to help make it future proof against the contraints that are expected to affect the ability for Sonos to continiue supporting the ZP90 at some point?

I’m sure that an expert can give a definitive answer, but I was under the impression that there was a bit-perfect ZP90, then a hardware change so that the ZP90 was no longer bit-perfect, then they renamed that version to the Connnect. I don’t think that the later ZP90/Connect were inherently much more capable than the earlier ZP90, so I would expect them all to suffer the same fate - hence the recent introduction of the new Port...

So the messaging is:

Sonos is concerned that the Connect will not be able to support future features and wants to encourage their removal from the supported population through a recycling incentive,,, but they are not concerned enough to stop selling them on their website.

Sonos bricks the recycled connects to ensure they do not persist in the supported population while still intoducing new units back into that population knowing they are only just a few updates away from becoming landfill fodder.

This is in addition to the recent announcement that stated: Sonos is going to raise the price on the Port on January 9th so it can expand and create jobs in some country other than the USA but only US consumers will will see the price increase that pays for this.

Maybe Sonos should consider hiring a PR firm to help them with their messaging and public image.

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

Is there a difference between the ZP90 and the Connect apart from branding? Does the Connect have more memory to help make it future proof against the contraints that are expected to affect the ability for Sonos to continiue supporting the ZP90 at some point?

I’m sure that an expert can give a definitive answer, but I was under the impression that there was a bit-perfect ZP90, then a hardware change so that the ZP90 was no longer bit-perfect, then they renamed that version to the Connnect. I don’t think that the later ZP90/Connect were inherently much more capable than the earlier ZP90, so I would expect them all to suffer the same fate - hence the recent introduction of the new Port...

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I have no idea, was hoping you could explain lol!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It isn't fair; not because I believe what Sonos, now formally a for profit corporate, says about sustainability, but because I don't see how their “promoting” bricking of working units is hostile to the environment. 

I have some old Sonos kit - Connect/Connect Amps. Paying 70% of the cost of new equivalents to get the same functionality - for the most part - makes no sense to me. So I would ignore the offer at no cost to the environment via electronic waste.

Sonos has always been for profit, they've never been a non profit afaik.... But I think I get what you are implying

It isn't fair; not because I believe what Sonos, now formally a for profit corporate, says about sustainability, but because I don't see how their “promoting” bricking of working units is hostile to the environment. 

I have some old Sonos kit - Connect/Connect Amps. Paying 70% of the cost of new equivalents to get the same functionality - for the most part - makes no sense to me. So I would ignore the offer at no cost to the environment via electronic waste.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

I did not say or mean that, as I thought you would know very well.

I am referring to talking about the environmental evils of the Sonos trade up scheme while at the same time living a life supported by enormous personal - however unseen that may be - fossil fuel/energy consumption. Acting on both on a personal level is necessary to avoid being labelled a hypocrite, even if one can't influence things on a more than personal, let alone global, level.

Do you think it's fair that the viral tweet guy and journos are labelling Sonos as hypocritical because Sonos claims that sustainability is "non-negotiable" but are promoting bricking working units instead of reusing? 

doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

I did not say or mean that, as I thought you would know very well.

I am referring to talking about the environmental evils of the Sonos trade up scheme while at the same time living a life supported by enormous personal - however unseen that may be - fossil fuel/energy consumption. Acting on both on a personal level is necessary to avoid being labelled a hypocrite, even if one can't influence things on a more than personal, let alone global, level.

I don't believe that the adage applies in this case, these pennies don't automatically lead/add up to pounds

I disagree, but there you go…. Even though I totally agree that we need to tackle problems at a global level, doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

Now if you were to then say that Sonos contributes to waste by not making products that can last for decades with after sales repair service as/when needed, yes……

Quite…. 

Perhaps the thread should be titled “ Sonos is making it very easy for us to contribute to electronic waste”.

Sure….

I don't believe that the adage applies in this case, these pennies don't automatically lead/add up to pounds; and most complaints about the Sonos exchange program are based on personal financial impacts as opposed to environmental ones, even where those are claimed to be the purpose of this thread.

And I completely fail to see how the trade up program in itself is adding to waste when one can choose to not take the option. So why is it a big deal, by itself?

Now if you were to then say that Sonos contributes to waste by not making products that can last for decades with after sales repair service as/when needed, yes, but that takes us back to Sonos having to operate in the use and throw lifestyle at price points that its markets support - for both getting over boredom by needing constant meaningless change, and for not wanting to pay the price of life time support, even if it could overcome the “boredom” of the same box doing the same thing in their life for decades.

And most people will have a problem with getting off the upgrade path that bricks Sonos devices from time to time because these people will change smartphones often like every other phone user does and unwittingly get back onto the upgrade path for Sonos kit as well.

Those that have the necessary discipline and the tech savvy have successfully gotten on to the path of getting the full hardware service life from their Sonos components, and will not have any personal concerns about this trade up or the need for it.

Perhaps the thread should be titled “ Sonos is making it very easy for us to contribute to electronic waste”.

Yes, but this is part of the problem - if it wasn’t for the software/functionality bloat, we wouldn’t be talking about bricking  perfectly good units...

It is a very small part of the problem, even if one stayed with just the domain of computer tech where Intel and Microsoft were the shining beacons of this bloat. Expanding to autos, every new model car seems to be bigger than the ones preceding, and not just because people are getting fatter. It is an epidemic, the underlying issue of how lives are lived these days.

My problem is with those that pick on the pennies while living blissfully unconcerned about the pounds.

I don’t particularly disagree, but there’s an old adage ‘look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’…. And in terms of Sonos kit, which is presumably the subject under discussion here, it’s a very big deal...

Yes, but this is part of the problem - if it wasn’t for the software/functionality bloat, we wouldn’t be talking about bricking  perfectly good units...

It is a very small part of the problem, even if one stayed with just the domain of computer tech where Intel and Microsoft were the shining beacons of this bloat. Expanding to autos, every new model car seems to be bigger than the ones preceding, and not just because people are getting fatter. It is an epidemic, the underlying issue of how lives are lived these days.

My problem is with those that pick on the pennies while living blissfully unconcerned about the pounds.

…...where I think different from many here is in not seeing much value in over 90% of the software upgrades that Sonos has done since the time I bought the kit in 2011. I am pretty sure that the kit would have continued to do - as it does today - all it could back in 2011 when I bought it, even where my listening sources have changed significantly from NAS to music services, even if Sonos had not done anything to the software than keep it functional - this is just home audio after all, where the basic tech, even when digital, hasn't changed since CDs were introduced. 

For once, we are in complete agreement…. The only significant thing to me was Trueplay, which soundwise was/is a game changer… Apart from that, I’d be happy to go back to 4.x - I much preferred the controller interface of all platforms...

But complaining about that is pointless IMO when there is the much bigger picture of how waste, electronic or otherwise, is being generated by lifestyles that are not environmentally sustainable, now at a global level. If and when that elephant in the room gets addressed beyond lip service/tokenism, this will too. And as long as that one doesn’t, this one is a minor issue.

Yes, but this is part of the problem - if it wasn’t for the software/functionality bloat, we wouldn’t be talking about bricking  perfectly good units...

PS Sorry about the quoting - can’t use this new system at all...

Digressing a little, where I think different from many here is in not seeing much value in over 90% of the software upgrades that Sonos has done since the time I bought the kit in 2011. I am pretty sure that the kit would have continued to do - as it does today - all it could back in 2011 when I bought it, even where my listening sources have changed significantly from NAS to music services, even if Sonos had not done anything to the software than keep it functional - this is just home audio after all, where the basic tech, even when digital, hasn't changed since CDs were introduced. 

But complaining about that is pointless IMO when there is the much bigger picture of how waste, electronic or otherwise, is being generated by lifestyles that are not environmentally sustainable, now at a global level. If and when that elephant in the room gets addressed beyond lip service/tokenism, this will too. And as long as that one doesn’t, this one is a minor issue.

And a quote from the verge link:

But for some reason, selling or giving your aging Sonos gear to someone else isn’t an option under the program. This is a strange pact that doesn’t really exist with any other major electronics manufacturer.

Why isn't this being seen as something that Sonos offers that no one else does, instead of calling it strange? If this an option that Sonos offers that no one else does, is that therefore not a positive? One could sell the device, and buy the new one at full price. Or, keep using the old one.

Or am I missing something?

Sonos have recently started a trade in promotion in the UK

There is none such for where I live, so this doesn't affect me for good or bad. Why can’t you pretend to live where I do? For just this limited purpose?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

And it went nowhere. Nobody knows why it went nowhere. There is speculation but that is all.

The code is there, nobody has started an independent project.

What do you mean by independent project? I don't think I understand what you are saying. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

And it went nowhere. Nobody knows why it went nowhere. There is speculation but that is all.

The code is there, nobody has started an independent project.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

folks have been whining about SMB and wanting newer versions but nobody has stepped up to work on that project. 

If you are talking about Sonos and SMB,  Jeremy Allison offered to help Sonos with their SMB issue back in 2017 :shrug_tone5: 

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-support-for-smb-2-0-protocol-6739642/index2.html#post16127262

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos stock holders would probably get all soggy and hard to light if Sonos started open-sourcing all the patented stuff that makes Sonos gear what it is.

Allowing folks to load their own versions of firmware into a Sonos device would be a nightmare. Not sure who it would suck worse for, the support staff or the public relations folks. Both would be busy telling folks with unsupported firmware: “Sorry not our circus, not our clowns.” 

There is also past experience to go from, a lot of the core OS stuff is open source and folks have been whining about SMB and wanting newer versions but nobody has stepped up to work on that project. 

The only good way to make sustainable hardware is to open-source the required software and interfaces.

If Sonos is no longer willing to pay software maintenance, it should provide user community all required material to do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And the best argument in the whole article is that “something (...) feels very off”: “But for those who do want to take advantage of the trade-up program, something still feels very off about having to render these products inoperable in exchange for a discount on the current Sonos lineup.” Wow, investigative journalism at its best. ;-)