Answered

Updates removed my local music library and now I get Error code 913

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

How do I fix it?  I have an iphone with the new app, my spouse has an iphone with the old gold app, our music is in an itunes folder on a windows laptop.  The music library is gone on all of them, and I get Error 913 when I try to add the music folder back to Sonos on the laptop.  Our speakers are useless without this - we don’t use streaming services, just our music library.  Do I need to get rid of the Sonos system now because local music isn’t an option anymore???

icon

Best answer by tidepooler 28 May 2024, 20:31

View original

217 replies

I have encountered this Error 913 problem with my TimeCapsule and Mac having updated the Sonos app recently - it is really annoying as it still works on Sonos S1 (that I have in parallel for playing out to an old Play5).   I have been building a Volumio solution using Raspberry Pi and since that does not support afp:  file sharing,  I build a NAS using another Raspberry Pi with a USB disk drive  - here using Samba to have  smb:  file sharing  - I managed to connect this to the Sonos system and it works OK.

Not looking forward to re-building my entire Music library (about 1Terrabyte) and reconfiguring everything to use this new NAS.   I think I will have to think carefully about any future Sonos purchases - maybe I will consider a transition to Volumio or similar using some Raspberry Pi units (with a good DAC Hat) connected to active speakers as my primary streaming solution. 

If memory serves, the Apple Time Capsule only does SMB v1? So it would work with Sonos S1, but not Sonos S2. 

I used this method and its now worked, thank you.  Still can’t believe after an update the music library was denied in the first place.   Seriously what was Sonos thinking!  So many people invested a lot of money in their systems and expect it to work!

If it helps, I have just received this reply from Sonos about my removed music library:

Our update on May 21st reintroduced the ability to play folders from your local library. The ability to search from your local library is planned for mid-June. Please check for updates on your system and try playing folders from your library again. Also, you can reference this article for additional details on upcoming updates.

If you are missing your local music library from the Sonos app, then your music library source might be configured to only support SMBv1, for Sonos it is a requirement that the hosting source device supports SMBv2 or higher.

What a joke. Still not working. Tried everything to get my NAS drive working like it was. Nothing.

Userlevel 3
Badge

What an absolute horror show Sonos has become.

I finally found a work-around on my Windows 10 machine (I’ll share it below), but no thanks to Sonos for never thinking to publish a response.

Guess they can’t be bothered while they hunt for new victims/customers.

I’m more committed than ever to dump Sonos for my new whole house system but, at least, I can listen to my own music again until their next nightmarish & boneheaded move.

BTW: Their latest update did NOTHING to resolve this issue - I got the same error code post-update trying to access my library.

Here’s the Windows 10 Band-Aid work-around I found (should work on 11 too):

1. Right click your music folder
  2. Click Properties
  3. Select the Sharing tab
  4. Click Advanced Sharing
  5. Click Permissions
  6. Mark all three permissions boxes as ‘Allow’
  7. Click OK (box closes)
  8. Click OK again (box closes)
  9. Click Share
  10. If not there, add Sonos Wireless HiFi System
  11. If not selected, Set Permission Level to Read
  12. Click Share
  13. Click Done (box closes)
  14. Click Close

Here’s the rub: Anything in your root drive music folder is now accessible to Sonos. If you store your music files on another drive, you’ll need to physically copy those folders/files to your music folder on the root drive. I have an SSD for my C: drive which has limited space and is intended only for the Windows OS and programs/apps, not at all meant for file storage. For that I have other multi-terabyte drives. My music folder (on the SSD drive) will not hold all the audio files I own, so I can only move a portion of my library to be accessible by Sonos.

And not a peep from them on the issue THEY created - Great customer service guys!

Count on me letting everyone know to avoid your products like the plague.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Absolutely brilliant.  Took me a few goes to sort it (despite the very helpful step by step process you laid down) but I now have my music library restored.  Thank you SO much for your help.

Userlevel 1

And the fix for MacOS is . . . . 

C’mon Sonos. I’ve spent thousands on your system. You need to make your product compatible with various releases of Mac and Windows (but you should know this). You should not require users to change permissions settings.

Fix it already!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve tried all of the suggestions in this thread and in others, spent probably a day and a half on it so far.  Nothing has worked.  Using a PC with Windows 11. Sonos up to date. Checked in Poweshell that SMBV2 is enabled and SMBV1 disabled.  Shared the music folder with “Sonos Wireless HiFi System” with full permissions. 

On one occasion Sonos appeared to access the music folder but clicking on any category resulted in a message saying there was nothing in there.  Otherwise the usual  “unable to add the shared folder” and (913) error code was the result. 

It is very, very frustrating and disappointing.  Like others I have spent many thousands of dollars on my 7 off Sonos speakers plus a Sonos Boost and its now over a month without being able to play my music. 

I came across a post where someone has used Plex media server, although they said the setup was not straightforward.  If Sonos cant sort this out soon it may be an option worth trying.

What a terrible way to treat your customers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

And yet - They can’t find time to offer a solution but they CAN find time to police these posts.

For anyone interested, some user schilling for Sonos offered the suggestion that I “just leave” because, like most everyone else, I am frustrated and angry.

I’m guessing it was a Sonos plant trying to influence posts and eliminate squawks.

Sonos didn’t find the suggestion “just leave” objectionable (now I wonder why that might be?), but when I pointed out  that I would be happy to “just leave” when Sonos takes back the boat anchors they sold me for a full refund, a moderator jumped in. I responded to that offensive user in the same voice, no more, no less, but (I assume) since that person was a Sonos schill, they took umbrage and watered down my response.

Again, they have the resources and will to restrict our posts but not to fix their outrageous mess.

BTW: Though I am using up my personal SSD C: drive resources/memory (purposed for OS & programs only), MY band-aid fix still seems to be functioning for now.

Hopefully it will hold until I can offload my Sonos hardware or (if miracles still do happen) Sonos comes up with a satisfactory fix.

We’ve all been talking about how they blew up our Windows/MAC access but anyone notice their IOS app has also killed all library access? I can only play, pause, or skip music on my iPad. If I want to change library content, I have to go to my PC.

Sonos is very much like the Titanic… Big ship with very small rudder and no situational awareness. Except once they hit the iceberg, Sonos went into full reverse just to hit it again & again.

Without dramatic organizational changes (and soon) the market will get wise and Sonos go down like a brick.

Maybe for the best… They’ve had their day in the sun; It might be time for another organization with a more customer-sensitive business model to assume the lead.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Also, just checked if there are any further updates - None.

Are you suggesting the people Sonos uses to moderate posts in this forum have the same skill sets necessary to code the controller app and firmware on the speakers? Seems highly unlikely, but if so, then yes, their attention should likely be elsewhere. 

I’ve been a denizen of these forums for a long time. I’m certainly not aware of any Sonos ‘plants’ or ‘schills (sic)’, and have seen moderators in the past state that Sonos employees themselves are required to identify themselves as employees as part of their forum account. 

Userlevel 1

Taking the chance that someone from Sonos is monitoring these posts, I want to say that several  posts had suggested the ‘fix’ for these issues was to change the permissions for the Music folder. I have a new iMac, and know nothing about my system beyond operating it, but I decided to follow the directions provided. When the process failed I changed the permissions of the folder holding the Music folder, then went even higher (I know, a stupid thing to do). Next thing I knew my iMac stopped working, and it took several hours on the phone with Apple to resolve things, which included wiping out my hard drive and re-installing the OS.

So now I am waiting for a Sonos update.

But my question to Sonos is this; you must have a record of the email addresses for everyone who purchased a Sonos product. Why have you not sent everyone regular emails outlining the problem and what you are doing to resolve it? Back in my day we called it ‘customer service’.

I am a silver surfer and new recruit to Sonos. I have this 913 problem with my 2 year old Windows PC and followed the advice here. Even a few tracks only to the default Windows Music folder. Still get the same problem 913 message. Uninstalled and re-installed Sonos App twice. No better.

Any other tricks, please??

Once sonos removed local playback, and I found that it was intentional, I uninstalled the sonos app from my pc and phones...I will stick with Roon and Roon Ark.. my sonos speaker still plays with roon and I no longer need the defective sonos app.

On Windows 11, after I reset my network settings (under network + internet advanced settings), rebooted, verified the Sonos Wireless HiFi user still had read access to my Music folder, I was able to re-add my Music folder to my library.

Windows 10 should be similar.

Here is the text of my recent chat with a Sonos online rep: 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 12:57:44 PM): Hello, my name is Jose. Your case has been reassigned to me and I'll be happy to assist from here. Please allow me a moment to review your ticket so we can pick up where you left off. In the meantime, feel free to provide me with any additional details you think might be helpful. 

null (6/20/2024, 12:59:21 PM): I just want to be able to play my music, which I cannot since the latest ‘new’ app.. I used to control this on my MacBook but that’s not working 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:00:41 PM): Hi Andrew. Thanks for contacting us, I will be happy to help you. Let's see, the reason why you can't play the music library is because you don't see it at all, or you get an error message when you try to play it? 

null (6/20/2024, 1:02:20 PM): i get error 913, unless I try to use the latest workaround, promoted on your community site.  Then I get an error message telling me to check the username and password. 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:03:07 PM): Thanks for letting me know. Just to confirm, are your music files saved on your MacBook? 

null (6/20/2024, 1:03:39 PM): yes 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:04:37 PM): Thanks for the confirmation. I have verified the issue on your system. I have confirmed the issue is related to what we call a legacy share, so for your computer to share files with an app, in this case Sonos, it uses 1 of 4 protocols available, either HTTP, SMBv1, SMBv2 and SMBv3. HTTP and SMBv1 are what we call "legacy Shares" The issue with these shares is that they are insecure and outdated, since they were released in the 1980s, and have not been adjusted since, So they do not offer much security for your personal data, due to the growing privacy policies we abide to, we no longer support "Legacy Shares" The bad news of this is that this is why your share was removed, and you can't add it back in.
The good news is that all computers should support SMBv2 and SMBv3 Protocols, it is rare for a computer not to. But this has to be adjusted to allow Sonos to read the share. 

null (6/20/2024, 1:05:47 PM): how do I make that change? 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:06:36 PM): To help you to change the file sharing protocols, we have 2 options:
1. We can do a remote session, in that way we can temporarily see and control your computer, so we will be able to help you to change the setting, unfortunate we can't do the remote session over chat, so you need to give us a call
2. Contact Apple support and ask for help to see if they can help you to change these settings. 

null (6/20/2024, 1:07:32 PM): How and when and what number do I call? 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:08:51 PM): You can give us a call from Monday to Friday, between 9 am to 11 pm ET, at the number (800) 680-2345. You can provide your case number to resume where we left off. 

null (6/20/2024, 1:09:02 PM): ok. 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:09:35 PM): I would like to know if you have any other question for me? 

null (6/20/2024, 1:11:15 PM): Just this: is it true Sonis is trying to force its users to move toward paid subscription music, rather than the music we already own? Pretty scum my if so. 

Jose M (6/20/2024, 1:13:51 PM): I can assure you that is not true. With Sonos, we can play music from music services, or your own music with a music library. We understand there are some issues with music library like this one you are having right now, but I can assure you the engineer team is working to fix all the app issues as fast as they can.