When will Alexa "Routines" become available?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Actually, routines stopped working on Sonos at all quite recently, see here

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Lastly, I think it's important to remember that we do not have anything to do with features both supported and unsupported on this platform. As Alexa voice service is owned by Amazon, supported features and services would be decided by Amazon.

However Bose had this same issue with Routines and they actually have fixed it? Why is it that you are saying it’s not a Sonos issue and it’s an Amazon issue? It does appear to be something that could be fixed - there are many posts on Reddit and elsewhere that explain Bose fixed Alexa Routines a year ago on their integrated smart speakers, so it does beg the question why Sonos don’t see this as their issue or as something they can fix?

Userlevel 1

(...)

Lastly, I think it's important to remember that we do not have anything to do with features both supported and unsupported on this platform. As Alexa voice service is owned by Amazon, supported features and services would be decided by Amazon.

Have you checked if this is not a matter of implementation of the new "InteractionModel interface for the Alexa Voice Service”?

Amazon announced this new interface in August 2018 on their developer blog here:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/a1470f4c-8aaf-4d12-b3bc-5cf38820ff82/alexa-it-s-bedtime-routines-for-avs

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Greetings everyone,

We do not have any timeline to share on when or if these changes will be made. While routines may or may not run as expected, they are still considered unsupported and when I mean by unsupported, that doesn’t mean it won’t work, it is that we cannot effectively troubleshoot it.

Badge +2

Don’t factory reset your device as this will remove all diagnostic information.  With regard to your flash briefing, can you open the Alexa App>Settings>Flash Briefing and check the content and order of items are as you require?

Yes, I have a skill for the flash briefing for VRT News.

Also I've used the "Alexa, start my day routine" before the switch.

But as you know, those routines don't work anymore

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you create a new routine does that work?

No.

New, old and standard don't work.

Strange, all of my routines work fine - sorry, no help to you!  Do these routines work on an Amazon Alexa device?

No problem, I guess the only option would be a factory reset or de-registering the speaker from the amazon account.

I don't have an Alexa device besides the Sonos One.

But all routines work on an Alexa device, but not on Sonos, because Sonos doesn't have full support for Alexa. Not all features work.

Strange that it did work before the switch to google assistant.

Before I would simply use the standard routine and said "Alexa, good morning" and it would give me the news from my flash briefing this day in history , when I try that now she replies with "good morning" and some trivia.

Anyway I'm managing routines now with ifttt as a workaround.

Don’t factory reset your device as this will remove all diagnostic information.  With regard to your flash briefing, can you open the Alexa App>Settings>Flash Briefing and check the content and order of items are as you require?

Badge +2

No.

Strange, all of my routines work fine - sorry, no help to you!  Do these routines work on an Amazon Alexa device?

No problem, I guess the only option would be a factory reset or de-registering the speaker from the amazon account.

I don't have an Alexa device besides the Sonos One.

But all routines work on an Alexa device, but not on Sonos, because Sonos doesn't have full support for Alexa. Not all features work.

Strange that it did work before the switch to google assistant.

Before I would simply use the standard routine and said "Alexa, good morning" and it would give me the news from my flash briefing this day in history , when I try that now she replies with "good morning" and some trivia.

Anyway I'm managing routines now with ifttt as a workaround.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No.

Badge +2

No.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Badge +2

Have you tried Disabling then Enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa App?

Yes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried Disabling then Enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa App?

Badge +2

Before I also had some routines that worked and also had the "“Audio actions not supported” message, 

but after trying out the google assistant I reverted back to Alexa, but none of the routines work anymore, even the standard routines do nothing.

I hope someday full routines support will come out.

I suspect that this isn’t a Sonos issue.  Have you opened the routines and checked that the Actions are still correctly listed?  Sometimes Alexa will delete Actions when a Skill is removed.

Apart from de-registering the Sonos speaker from my Amazon account, I've tried everything.

(Deleted the Alexa app, deleted the Sonos app, installed everything again. Still didn't work.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Before I also had some routines that worked and also had the "“Audio actions not supported” message, 

but after trying out the google assistant I reverted back to Alexa, but none of the routines work anymore, even the standard routines do nothing.

I suspect that this isn’t a Sonos issue.  Have you opened the routines and checked that the Actions are still correctly listed?  Sometimes Alexa will delete Actions when a Skill is removed.

Badge +2

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I came here after searching for an answer to this, April 2020.

Trying to trigger a simple morning routine like

1: switch on all LIFX lights

2: play a playlist

from my Move or Sonos One and Alexa immediately replies with this “Audio actions not supported”...BUT she does run the routine, the lights come on and the playlist plays.

I see no way to set what room or Sonos device to have Alexa play the music from, but it seems to play fine from every room and the Alexa routine does work fine.

The error message doesn’t seem to stop the Alexa routine from running. It’s just very clunky and awkward to listen to an error message every morning after running the routine.

seems this should be fixed by Sonos by now. If you advertise Alexa support or Alexa works with this device, then it’s misleading when it does not work.

As a work around, I use IFTTT for the playing of a Playlist within a Routine which stops this annoying message.

My post here shows how to set-up IFTTT for a different issue with BBC radio stations but the same approach will resolve your issue: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/step-by-step-guide-to-play-bbc-radio-station-via-voice-control-6834993

Just insert your Playlist instead of the radio station in each step.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I came here after searching for an answer to this, April 2020.

Trying to trigger a simple morning routine like

1: switch on all LIFX lights

2: play a playlist

from my Move or Sonos One and Alexa immediately replies with this “Audio actions not supported”...BUT she does run the routine, the lights come on and the playlist plays.

I see no way to set what room or Sonos device to have Alexa play the music from, but it seems to play fine from every room and the Alexa routine does work fine.

The error message doesn’t seem to stop the Alexa routine from running. It’s just very clunky and awkward to listen to an error message every morning after running the routine.

seems this should be fixed by Sonos by now. If you advertise Alexa support or Alexa works with this device, then it’s misleading when it does not work.

Badge +2

I have called Sonos UK support today to see if there is any progress for Alexa Routines, they were very polite and apologetic, but unfortunately they still have no development plan to support this.

Just a reminder that Bose implemented support for Alexa routines in their Feb 2019 firmware, after being notified about the issue in October 2018.

If you read the post right above yours, you’ll see there’s a work around.

Thank you, but I’m still expecting Sonos to implement full support for Alexa routines.   As these are voice enabled devices, I expect Sonos to be on top of the latest developments in this field, and on this issue they are extremely slow.   Remember its not that it can’t be done, as Bose implemented this relatively quickly.

So you’re saying Alexa routines don’t work with Sonos ?
How come the standard routines do work ?
e.g. Alexa, good morning”, gives me exactly what the routine describes it does.

Although now it doesn’t work anymore, I’ve tested the google assistant yesterday, then reverted back to Alexa, but now the standard routines don’t work anymore, Also the Radio 2 skill, works only with “open radio 2” or “start radio 2” and gives me the right station ( VRT Radio 2 Antwerpen ),
“play radio 2” gives me BBC Radio 2, before Google assistant that also worked fine.
:(  :(

Badge +2

Can't get any routines that I've made myself.

Routines that are available in the alexa app do work.

Strange...

Userlevel 2

I have called Sonos UK support today to see if there is any progress for Alexa Routines, they were very polite and apologetic, but unfortunately they still have no development plan to support this.

Just a reminder that Bose implemented support for Alexa routines in their Feb 2019 firmware, after being notified about the issue in October 2018.

Thank you, but I’m still expecting Sonos to implement full support for Alexa routines.   As these are voice enabled devices, I expect Sonos to be on top of the latest developments in this field, and on this issue they are extremely slow.   Remember its not that it can’t be done, as Bose implemented this relatively quickly.

Userlevel 2

To further add to @mfowmes comment above. These steps allow for the playing of music at a specific time or via a voice command:

1 Open the Alexa App and click on the menu 3 bars in the top;
2 Select Routines in the Menu;
3 Click the ‘+’ sign in the top right corner of the App;
4 Click ‘When this happens’ and then ‘Voice’;
5 Enter ‘audio test’ – it’s still best to not use capitals;
6 Click ‘Add action’ and then click ‘Play’;
7 Type in ‘Ed Sheeran On [Sonos Room Name]’;
8 Click ‘From’ and then select a source;
9 If you need a ‘Timer’ please click ‘Set Time’;
10 Click ‘Save’

This will now work via the command ‘Alexa, Audio Test’

This worked perfect for me!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sonos, any update? 

Userlevel 1

Exactly this. It is false advertising to state that these sonos devices are certified for use with Alexa.

They cannot do routines nor drop in - two of the main benefits of owning an alexa based system. Ridiculous and i wish i had never purchased my sonos enable devies especially now you could have a simple Amazon Echo and set the default outputted speaker to one of your sonos’!!!