Unable to set Sonos Era 100 as Alexa-enabled device in room/group using Alexa app

Show first post

94 replies

Badge

Same problem for me with an Era 300, from Spain.

Hi Everyone

If you are still experiencing this issue (which we believed had stopped happening outside of Germany) please submit a support diagnostic and post the given number along with a screenshot of the Alexa app showing a lack of Era units under “Alexa-enabled Devices”, as above. Thank you.

Hi Corry, 

I have the same issue. My Era 100 (Cocina Sonos) and Era300 (Sala) still not showing as alexa enabled devices. Diagnostic number: 858997908

31112711 - Speaker “Bedroom” doesn’t show under Alexa enabled

Good to hear our European (and UK) friends are getting fixes! Still doesn’t work for me in the US either. Over here, Era speakers are called “Devices” not “Alexa-enabled Devices”. They cannot control any groups. 

Yep, we’re perhaps the Amazon test-bed for you guys… I honestly thought this was fixed for everyone, but maybe Amazon is still to certify the ‘devices’ and roll this out to some locations.🤷‍♂️

Ken,

Thanks for the suggestions! I just had a long reply typed out with screenshots and everything, but the site errored when I hit send and lost everything. Rather than re-type all the details, I’ll just summarize.

I checked each of the Groups in the Alexa app, and neither “Office Sonos” nor “Office Sonos Era 100” were selected as an enabling device in any of them. You’ll just need to take my word for that 😉

I then went ahead and removed the Sonos Skill as suggested. In order to ensure a clean slate, I also:

• Removed the Amazon Alexa voice assistant integration via the Sonos app
  • De-registered all of my Sonos speakers via the “Manage Your Content and Data” portal in my Amazon account

With all traces of my Sonos speakers removed, I re-added them via the Alexa app. During that process I was also able to successfully add the Office Sonos speakers to the Office group. Small win!

I returned to the Sonos app to re-enable the Alexa Assistant integration, which completed successfully as well. My Era 100 played a cheerful “Hello” from Alexa, and I’m able to control it with my voice. 

Back in the Alexa app, “planigan’s Sonos Era 100” (default name this time) is again listed in the Devices tab and the Echo & Alexa page. However, neither “Office Sonos” nor “planigan’s Sonos Era 100” are available as Alexa-enabled devices in the Office group or any other.

It seems like me and the rest of the Yanks might be stuck without proper Alexa integration, at least until Sonos develops a fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Have a look here at the steps I followed, I came to conclusion an issue with Alexa discovery:

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/new-era-100s-cannot-setup-alexa-6881415

I also replaced some P1’s & Alexa Echo device with single ERA 100.

I did rename the room with the P1s & echo in Sonos App before I added new ERA100 to Sonos ina new room with the old name.

eg rename ‘Bedroom’ in Sonos App to ‘OLD Bedroom’, add new ERA100 to ‘Bedroom’ and forced rediscover on Alexa by disabling/enabling Sonos Skill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

A big Thank You to all who submitted diagnostics!

We have enough to work with now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Same thing here. I’m in the beta programme and got the tech support people there to look into it - result “it’s an Alexa issue”.

I bought 11 Era100s to replace my 11 Ones. Set them all up today and then discovered this issue. Will be returning all 11. Sonos can shrug and say “it’s an Alexa issue” all day long, but Sonos is one who’s losing money from it, not Amazon. I wonder how much money they lose on returned merchandise. 

Sonos needs to fix this. Obviously it works with roam and move. Even if it’s an “Amazon issue” other speakers from the same company work fine - so does Bose FYI. 

I find it amazing that I researched buying an ERA 100 to replace an Echo device in my dining room to circumvent an Apple iMusic issue I have with Alexa. The ERA 100 is advertised as being able to function as an Alexa Echo device.  

I believe it’s not advertised as a full blown Alexa echo device, because that would surely harm Amazons own hardware sales - I think it’s talked about here in the community as being an Alexa ‘enabled’ device where the assistant is primarily used for music playback and control, but overtime some additional functionality (not all) has been included, but some things clearly are still exclusive to Amazon in much the same way that the Sonos grouping, pairing, bonding features are exclusive to Sonos products.

Absolutely zero caveats about that capability. So, I buy the ERA 100. Tout sweet, I run into this problem. I cannot add the ERA 100 to the everywhere Alexa group, or any group of speakers I try to set up, because while it responds to Alexa commands, it is not classified as an Alexa speaker after enabling the Alexa App skill. I then spend 2 days on the phone with both Sonos and Amazon, with nothing being resolved. I talked to at least 3 different Sonos support people. Not one word about this being an outstanding problem.  Instead my time was wasted by resetting and re-installing those 2 days, with a lot of finger pointing between the 2 companies. I give up, and google the issue and find this thread right on the Sonos site! INCOMPREHENSIBLE!  No one told me that this was an outstanding issue with an open ended ETA on a fix, and with more non-productive finger pointing! In 25 years of  working on getting music technology incorporated into my home you people still can’t get it right, especially across companies, and shame on Sonos support for pretending to scratch their heads over this with me like it was something they never heard of.

Some Alexa ‘Routines’ functionality is available to the US. which apparently is not available to the UK and EU countries. The one odd thing here is Sonos is enabled here in the EU and UK to control Amazon Alexa ‘enabled’ groups and that includes Era 100s, Move 2 and Era 300s but some in the US/Canada say they do not have that functionality. I’m not sure why that is🤔?

Just to also add this is a different grouping method to Amazon Echo Groups - I’m referring to their smart-home control of lights, plugs and playback on speakers etc. Sonos has never grouped with Amazon devices to playback on both manufacturers speakers.. this thread is about enabling the smart-home groups to play audio just on Sonos devices only. 

I hope that helps clear any confusion.. clearly though some users in the US have the issue that their Era 100s are not enabling/controlling the (smart) groups and in my humble opinion that’s something that Amazon needs to resolve with their Alexa accounts. I only say that though, because it appears that not all Sonos users have this reported issue.

This is super frustrating. I bought a pair of Era 300 units to replace a pair of Play:3 units because they had Alexa support integrated. But without being able to associate the Alexa device with a room it’s kinda useless. I wasted a bunch of time troubleshooting this. I live in California, USA. Diagnostic id is 397887563. Here are some screenshots showing that Main Bedroom Sonos is an Alexa device but can’t be associated with a room.

This is a very irritating issue for a new Sonos user. I bought these to replace some cheap Dots that have very poor sound quality. Not being able to talk to the speaker about things in the room/group breaks a basic functionality of the Alexa system. Not sure if it is Amazon or Sonos to blame, but it super sucks. 

Having the exact same issue. Era 100. Works with voice commands, but no ability to control the room/group.

Sonos, are you working on this?

Diagnostic number: 1725967583

@jslin,

If you select the exclamation icon next to the Sonos entry in the ‘Alexa-enabled’ devices list, does it throw up a dialog box that states “Echo devices can only be in one group” - if so, then you simply need to remove the Sonos echo component device from the ‘other’ group and then go onto add it to the desired group. 

That said, it seems that some users in U.S. & Canada have reported issues with Sonos products not enabling/controlling Alexa groups, but that’s not something anyone here in the Sonos community can help with. You would be best to perhaps speak to Sonos Support, or more likely Amazon Customer Support Staff to resolve the issue, that’s if the Sonos component is not already enabling an(other) group in the Alexa App.

@Ken_Griffiths thanks for your reply too.  Yes, I’ve made sure that it didn’t already get added to a group I may not know of.  I will contact Support on the weekday and see if they can help resolve this.  Beam was really good experience, and I had hoped for the same experience with Era 100 as well and thinking of 300 if all goes well.  Now having doubts on the entire Era line of speakers since I’ve seen Era 300s are also having similar issues.

I’m having the same issue with new Era 300

Facing the same issue with ERA 300. It’s be great if Sonos can acknowledge and provide a tentative fixing date.

Having the same issue here (in the USA). 

Diagnostic 2132391858

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @andyLux, @Kirk33 & @Justkaykay - I’ve passed those along.

As for the ‘alternate’ wake words, I think it unlikely that they’ll ever allow them on an ‘Alexa enabled device’, rather than an actual Alexa device. Just so there is a reason for you to buy their hardware, rather than giving all your money to someone else for the hardware, but using their software.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same problem here with an Era 100. 

Joining the group here to say I am also experiencing this problem in the US. Haven’t pulled a diagnostic ID, but I have my office Arc showing up as an Alexa enabled device whereas my living room and master bedroom Era 100s are not. 

Just added an Era 300 and it has the same issue. Calling into Sonos support and will be returning all my Era speakers if this can’t be solved. Bummer because I love them otherwise.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve got the exact same issue.

Had a brand new Era 100 delivered today, and can’t seem to add them to a group as an Alexa enabled device.

Has anyone managed to resolve this? Or can anyone confirm that their own Era 100 is working as expected and the can get it work?

Trying to work out it this is a global product issue or  isolated to our particular setup.