Unable to set Sonos Era 100 as Alexa-enabled device in room/group using Alexa app

Userlevel 1

Today I’ve upgraded my two Sonos Ones with Sonos Era 100s. After adding Alexa to the speakers, I tried to go into the Alexa app to associate them with their respective rooms. I’m able to add them as the room speaker, but I am unable to set them as the Alexa device for that room (allowing for room-specific commands like “Alexa, turn off the lights”, etc).

What’s weird is my Era 100s will show up under the Echo & Alexa devices section in the Alexa app, but they do not show up under Alexa-enabled devices when editing a room/group (see attached screenshots).

I’ve reached out to Alexa support and they were largely unhelpful, they claimed that from their resources Alexa isn’t supported on the Sonos Era 100 (maybe their documentation hasn’t been updated since this is a brand new product?). So they left the conversation there even after showing them that Sonos clearly states Alexa built-in support for the Era 100.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems like a bug in the Alexa app, and their support team is unwilling to report the issue up their chain.

Corry P 7 months ago

Hi Everyone

If you are still experiencing this issue (which we believed had stopped happening outside of Germany) please submit a support diagnostic and post the given number along with a screenshot of the Alexa app showing a lack of Era units under “Alexa-enabled Devices”, as above. Thank you.

View original

88 replies

Based on past experience, it’s usually some weeks, or even a couple of months, after the release of a new Sonos product before Amazon certify them as an Alexa Group ‘enabling’ (controlling) device. I’m not sure what that certification process involves, but clearly each new device has to be tested by them. It clearly hasn’t happened yet. I recall it took quite a while post-release before the Roam became certified for enabling a group, but these Era products can still be used with an Alexa group, they just cannot control/enable the group at this time.

Heres hoping the Amazon certification occurs sooner, rather that later.🤞

I got an update today and the problem is now fixed in my system (Era 100 in Germany)! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Today I’ve upgraded my two Sonos Ones with Sonos Era 100s. After adding Alexa to the speakers, I tried to go into the Alexa app to associate them with their respective rooms. I’m able to add them as the room speaker, but I am unable to set them as the Alexa device for that room (allowing for room-specific commands like “Alexa, turn off the lights”, etc).

What’s weird is my Era 100s will show up under the Echo & Alexa devices section in the Alexa app, but they do not show up under Alexa-enabled devices when editing a room/group (see attached screenshots).

I’ve reached out to Alexa support and they were largely unhelpful, they claimed that from their resources Alexa isn’t supported on the Sonos Era 100 (maybe their documentation hasn’t been updated since this is a brand new product?). So they left the conversation there even after showing them that Sonos clearly states Alexa built-in support for the Era 100.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems like a bug in the Alexa app, and their support team is unwilling to report the issue up their chain.

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services & Voice>Amazon Alexa and ensure that your two new Era 100’s are shown as enabled.  If they are not in the list then please select + Add to Another Product.

It’s fixed!!!

Went to my Alexa app this morning and found my Eras available as Alexas.

In New Zealand.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No luck for me yet in the US

Seeing the same issue in the US with my new Era 300. Diagnostic 2098672184

Experiencing the same issue

Had a chat with Sonos week before last where they admitted it is a Sonos software issue and it is on their side to fix. They said they are aware of the problem but could not give a resolution date…

Now working for me (Era 300/Germany).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kirk33 

The Alexa code is not ours to alter so we cannot work on it, but we are working together with Amazon regarding the issue. We cannot give you a progress update.

Not a big social media guy.  Among other reasons, folks on social media believe everything is up for debate, often with an unquenchable need to “enlighten” a deluded or misinformed lost soul, like myself :-).  Well, don’t you sound like a lawyer for Sonos.  Interpreting from thin air limitations implied by the advertised “enabled” Alexa compatability.  Because no such limitations are either stated or implied in the description of the “enabled” capability in Sonos documentation.  In fact there is at least one, if not more than one document avainable online that describes how to include the ERA in an Alexa group of Alexa speakers.  Which, again, does not work.

Can you provide a link to the document you found online?

Thanks, but I I needed no “clearing up” of my understanding.  I’m quite comfortable with my understanding of my issue. Something Sonos says works, doesn’t.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/alexa-smart-home-device-groups-and-sonos

You got a fix, great.  I’m responding because your uncolicited comments were so off base.  If you feel a need to weigh in with the last word, please do so. I have nothing more to say.

@RussPAnton,

I was just speaking about the Sonos and Alexa Group interaction, as briefly outlined in the Sonos Support documentation here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/alexa-smart-home-device-groups-and-sonos

Sonos (or any other 3rd-party speaker manufacturer) has not ever worked with the Amazon Alexa ‘Everywhere’ Group, or those user-created groups in that area of the Alexa App - they’re exclusively used by/for Amazon manufactured products only.  

That said, had you have been a little more polite here, I might have given you a way to achieve the outcome you were looking for, to play all your Sonos and Amazon devices ‘together’ around the home, but I will just leave you to carry on with your own research on this topic, but just to add it has nothing to do with the topic that’s being discussed in this thread.

Our posts crossed, but thanks (Danny) @melvimbe for your detailed post and referring to the Sonos support link too.👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone

If you are still experiencing this issue (which we believed had stopped happening outside of Germany) please submit a support diagnostic and post the given number along with a screenshot of the Alexa app showing a lack of Era units under “Alexa-enabled Devices”, as above. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Everyone

Thanks Corry, my diagnostic number is 751178187.

I’m not able to get a screenshot, you’ll just have to take my word for it. My Era100s and my Sonos Five are not in the Alexa-supported list. The Sonos Five is expected; it doesn’t have a microphone. 

Pretty frustrating to hear that Sonos thought this was resolved despite all the evidence to the contrary (so many people reporting it and not even one single person posting that it works for them). 

I also can’t view my era 100 under the list of Alexa devices. My support diagnostic is 1427058777 and my screenshot:

It appears to be a global issue and from what I understand is this is something Amazon needs to fix, no idea if they are aware of this however and if Sonos are working with then to do that

Having the same issue with my Era 100 in the US 

Userlevel 2
Badge

My diagnostic number: 1515374376

My Era100 is positioned in my kitchen, trying to add to it to a group called ‘downstairs’, the device itself is called ‘Kitchen’.

You can see my 2 ‘Sonos Ones’ do appear, but they are in there own groups in different bedrooms.

Same issue with new Era 100s. good to hear the fixes are rolling out. Frustrating as a new Sonos user as I use the Alexa voice for lights around the house. This is definitely inconvenient especially for my partner and house guests  

I personally would have thought those with Era / Move 2 issues not showing as Alexa group ‘enabling/controlling’ devices in their Alexa App, should perhaps also contact Amazon support and see if it is an issue at their end. It seems rather odd it’s working in the U.K. Germany and areas of the EU, but not yet working in some areas of the US/Canada etc. maybe Amazon can provide the answers.

Attached is my Amazon Alexa ‘Kitchen’ Group (see screenshot) and that has an Era 300 called ‘Polo’ showing as ‘enabling’ the group and the devices above it are also ‘enabling’ the same group, these are 2 x Era 100s that are attached as surrounds to a Sonos Ray with Alexa installed on both those speakers and the top device is an Echo Dot. So it’s working fine here in the UK. I would hazard a guess this is more to do with Amazon rather than Sonos, er… perhaps🤔? I would see what Amazon have to say about the issue, although it’s probably best to do this after the holiday/weekend.

Badge

Having the exact same issue here! Received new Era speakers today, had Ones before. Removed Sonos skill in Alexa, deleted all Sonos devices, re-enrolled everything, but didn’t help. My remaining Sonos One can be added to a room, all new Era speakers cannot.

If anyone has a solution for this, highly appreciated!

Badge

Same issue in the US - 4648835. Both ERA 300 are still not showing in Alexa-enabled Devices section.

Hope this gets fixed soon. I switched to Alexa because the Era doesn’t support Google Assistant. Disappointing to find that the integration doesn’t actually work right.