Answered

Suddenly alexa is not working with my voice enabled Sonos Speakers S1 app

• 15 March 2024
  • 60 replies

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Even if the issue occurs after a Sonos update, it can be necessary to fix it on Amazons side. Two partners have to adapt their software each other to get something working like Alexa. Sometimes A has to change something and sometimes B… But imo also if Sonos has to fix it, why don’t just wait until it’s fixed. Blaiming someone or complaining doesn’t make work on it faster.

Userlevel 2

I opened the Sonos app / settings/ system updates and did an update.  Alexa integration appears to be working properly now.  

If only the cover art, artist, and album information was working as it should I would be truly satisfied.

Thank you Corry for you and your teams efforts.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Regardless of blame, it’s still been three days since a high impact outage with no update and that’s utterly unacceptable 

Userlevel 2
Badge

sure, because at this point, i am convinced they are letting people with S1 systems suffer until they feel compelled to spend more money with them and upgrade hardware to S2

Userlevel 1

Did the system update and my SONOS one Alexa is communicating again🤣

Userlevel 2
Badge

wow… nothing as sinister as such a conspiracy theory!  More indirect, they are not adequately resourcing the support for customers on S1, imagine this happened on S2?? I would bet this is solved by now….

they are OK making that resourcing decision because we are no longer top tier customers to them? I hope not…. we invested a lot in Sonos and can’t just throw the non S2 compatable stuff away.

To be clear, i’m sure the people working on fixing this are working hard. Are there enough people doing it? i am not sure…

Also btw… a bit surprised by the number of staunch corporate defenders on this forum too now hitting back? how are posters like that employed? by sonos? just looking for neutrality and focus the problem. look i love the sonos equipment when it works too, but this has become an important functionality for anyone using some home automation. 

Sonos employees are duly marked as such, so you can drop that feverish conspiracy dream.  Reality is, you might have to actually question if your melodramatic reaction is really warranted, rather than looking over your shoulder for the black helicopters. 

I use the S1 app for my Sonos speakers.  Recently my voice enabled Sonos Move speaker is not working with Alexa.  I can control my speakers in the S1 app but not with Alexa.

When I look at the Alexa app the voice enabled Sonos speakers are showing offline.

• I have disabled and re-enabled Sonos Skill in Alexa
  • Alexa does not find any devices when I re-enabled Sonos skill in the Alexa app
  • I have removed and added Alexa voice enable to each speaker
  • I have powered off and on the speakers

Please repair this issue.  I don’t want to move away from Sonos.  Thank you.

Its in Sonos to inform the user!

Spend hours of trying to fin a solution!

Do you think our time is free of charge?!

Total disappointed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dvantage 

You can go to Settings » System » [name of room] » Amazon Alexa » Wake Word Chime and turn it on.

I hope this helps.

The update fixed it thanks.

i didn’t realise how reliant I had become on Alexa! Glad she is back!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for fixing this! Much appreciated. 

Hi @gduncan3595 et al

We have released an update for S1 that we believe addresses this issue. Please check your system for updates and test. If you continue to see this issue after updating, we recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you - my house has come back to life 😂

Badge

Regardless of blame, it’s still been three days since a high impact outage with no update and that’s utterly unacceptable 

I’m a lead software engineer in charge a $6+ Billion a year OLTP transaction engine.  Anybody interrupts me for an update in the middle of a high impact outage, they are losing their frigging job.  Period.  You will get an update when there is something to update. 

That’s a ridiculous answer.  I have led teams resolving major outages in the payments industry and you have to give hourly reports to management on what is happening.  Management will then disseminate the information to the necessary stakeholders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@petetobin 

Only Sonos and Amazon will know the answer to this. All discussion about the issue imho isn’t worth it any more as the problem is resolved and Alexa is working fine again. 😎

It’s four days now - and people are still posting asking for solutions as Sonos haven’t had the courtesy to advise customers the system is down. How do you raise a complaint directly with Sonos - cant spot a complaints procedure in the forum?

I’ve seen a notification for several days now at status.sonos.com, which also drives a pop up when coming to this forum?

Since there has been no change to Sonos’ own software, I’d imagine the fix needs to be done on Amazon’s side. Have you complained to them?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also spent several hours troubleshooting this to no avail before i searched here to find this. prior i contacted Amazon, was on the phone for an hour, mostly on hold and they didn’t know what to do.

Please appreciate your help fixing this as the devices are what i mainly use for Sonos in the house. Any ETA would be helpful i hope they consider this a P1 incident, even though on the S1 Sonos system. Thank you. 

Badge +1

I am glad I searched here before I spent any time troubleshooting. 

I had the problem occurring on my Sonos Ones before I loaded the S1 update. Friday evening 15th March working fine. Saturday morning 16th March it wouldn’t work.

Does not work for me ! Still same issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Does not work for me ! Still same issue

Did you renew Alexa installation and Sonos skill?

Thank you @Corry P!  I was able to open Sonos S1, request for latest updated within my system, disconnected and connected Alexa Skill for Sonos and yes, voice control for Alexa works through my Move speaker now.  Thank you very much for the update and fix.

LOL! what a response. you act like there is no mechanism for updates by those involved with fixing something to relay back to a task force over 3 days. what BS is that? I also work at a large company that is involved with high impact incidents all the time. you need to manage a task force and communication to affected users / customers. if there is one guy turning the wrench on everything and giving updates at a company, they have some major problems. i hope your $6 billion dollar organization functions better than you suggest. 

So you want a press release type update to give you the warm fuzzies?  Well, we give those out all the time.  Hell, I'm surrounded by people who will do that just to keep the hounds at bay.  Doesn't have diddly to do with the actual status, but doesn't seem like that matters, does it?

Sigh.