Answered

Suddenly alexa is not working with my voice enabled Sonos Speakers S1 app

• 15 March 2024
  • 60 replies

Show first post

60 replies

i have a sonos one and am experiencing this issue.

when i try to search for system updates in the s1 app it prompts me tom upgrade the iphone app.  the updated app says its not compatible with the device.  Please advise how can Inipdate the frimware.

Upgrading the app on your phone is the first step, then you need to check for updates in the controller, and update your speakers. Pretty sure it’s in settings > system > system updates.

Userlevel 2

I installed the update, disabled and enabled Alexa , and it is now back working. 

BUT….

Prior to these issues when I said “Alexa” there was an audible noise, which indicated “she” heard me. Now that is gone. It otherwise works but any ideas how to get that back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

There‘s a big red popup showing any current problem, if you visit Sonos page and also community page. 
Besides you always can check manually on…

https://status.sonos.com/?utm_source=embed

Low prio due to S1? Time to shift to Google Home?

No one rolls out API changes without notifying their users. SONOS either didn’t pay attention or didn’t test the new update. They now join the long list of people who wasted the trust of people who gave them a great deal of money in good faith for longevity. Not a big deal for them to turn out to be like everyone else, just a little disappointing.  Bought in because I thought they were better, when will I learn? 

Badge

Even if the issue occurs after a Sonos update, it can be necessary to fix it on Amazons side. Two partners have to adapt their software each other to get something working like Alexa. Sometimes A has to change something and sometimes B… But imo also if Sonos has to fix it, why don’t just wait until it’s fixed. Blaiming someone or complaining doesn’t make work on it faster.

That can be true if the Sonos update was attempting to utilise new functionality on the Amazon side of the fence which had issues  but I don’t believe it was the case here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sorry, just my personal thoughts… but why do people think complaining would do anything helpful to the progress. Imo Sonos knows about the priority of the issue anyway. 
And talking about loss of an essential function of the speaker doesn’t really hit it. All options like Airplay, CEC communication and also Alexa depend on external functionality too. If something is getting worse on Apples side, tv manufacturers firmware or in this case maybe also on Amazons side, it‘s not only on Sonos to fix it. 
Sometimes taking it easy will result in the same time and kind of fix. 😉

But hey… as said just my opinion. 

Badge

Me too, it stopped working yesterday evening.

Badge

I’ve seen a notification for several days now at status.sonos.com, which also drives a pop up when coming to this forum?

Since there has been no change to Sonos’ own software, I’d imagine the fix needs to be done on Amazon’s side. Have you complained to them?

Why do you say that Bruce?  The pattern of discovery from users shows that it is clearly related to a new S1 Update, in fact if you read above it says exactly that.  Had it been an Amazon issue it would have gone bang for everyone at the same time.