Answered

Sonos One saying it is offline and unable to use voice control

Badge

Hi all,

I have been digging into the forums here and on the web in general, and cant find a solution to this.  My Sonos One stopped responding to voice commands today.  I have tried all solutions that I could find, including deregistering & re-registering, unplugging,  rebooting my router, standing on my head while facing east…  well you get the idea.  Can anyone please help??? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 17:51

View original

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @samsaints et al

We have released an update for S1 that we believe addresses this issue. Please check your system for updates and test. If you continue to see this issue after updating, we recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Thank you for your patience

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s been five days now of a high impact outage and no updates 

hello Sonos, time for an update on resolution 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @samsaints  

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

To confirm what @keith_13 said, we are aware of an issue affecting functionality of Alexa on S1 Sonos systems. We are investigating, but do not have an ETA for a resolution.

You can, however, cease troubleshooting - nothing you can do will help.

We will post here when there is an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

What is more disappointing… getting no timeline or getting one that can’t be hold? 
If they still are investigating the issue and don’t know exactly how to do a fix, how do they tell us how long it will take? No company will force itself to get a * storm. 
Yes, it’s a bug at the moment, but no system you spend a lot of money on will become trash of that bug. 
Time to leave the discussion I think… as from my side everything is said. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I really hope this isn’t some underhanded attempt to move us to s2 and force us to spend money 

I highly doubt it.  There's far more effective ways of doing that than an outage on one of 3 voice control services.

Userlevel 1

I’ve got this problem too. Why can’t we just downgrade the firmware, surely it can be rolled back while they troubleshoot the issue? It’s not OK to just say ‘oh yeah we broke it, it won’t work until we fix it at some unknown point in the future’ even if user downgrade isn’t an option, at least push out the last good version as a new release. 

All. I was just about to write a note saying that Sonos should make it clear on their status page that their is a live issue they are dealing with. They do. Well done Sonos. I can now check back here to see what is going on.

https://status.sonos.com/

Userlevel 1

This is the answer I just got from Support.  So….it does sound like the firmware update yesterday on S1 broke the Alexa integration and it will be down until a new update is released…

“From what I can see on my end, the system is running on the S1 firmware. At the moment there is an issue with Alexa on S1 that the Sonos team is investigating and they are working on a fix.”

“A fix should be released within a future update. I can provide you a link to the release notes to keep track of any updates that will resolve the issue:”

Userlevel 1

@Hippogriff

Indeed updating your system to S2 will solve the current Alexa issue. S2 is the full supported Sonos system and I strongly recommend using it. 
Supporting S1 any longer even just for fixes will become more and more difficult in future. 

Except I’ve got about £10,000 worth of Gen1 only Sonos equipment that is perfectly fine, and built into my House (amp/Ceiling speakers mostly) I have no desire to spend £10,00 AGAIN for absolutley no advantage over my Gen 1 equipment. so S2 is not the answer for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Nick_4 

If you read and understand the whole thread, you will know that was an advice for those who use products on S1 that all are also S2 ready. Nobody talked about spending a lot of money to exchange speakers instead of waiting for a fix. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I really hope this isn’t some underhanded attempt to move us to s2 and force us to spend money 

First try I got an error. Rebooted app, tried again, all worked. Thanks. Still surprised SONOS can't find a way of allowing older SONOS products onto S2, even via some form of additional bridge / dongle / etc. however, happy :-)

Badge

I can relay this affects more people.

Overnight, on the 13th of March, a friend’s Sonos ONE setup was affected. At the end of the night on the 13th one of the Sonos ONE’s listened to a command to the inbuilt Alexa to turn the lights off, on the morning of the 14th it would not do anything - no acknowledgement beep from the speaker or any reaction to voice commands at all.

No changes were made overnight, obviously.

In the Alexa app it clearly states that the device(s) are offline. There are two Sonos ONEs only in the system, both on S1. Both are now out of action. Re-enabling the Skill etc. - and other things - has been tried without success and in a way it is reassuring to know that Sonos themselves broke it and there is no action that we can take as users to get it back.

For the time-being my friend can control Sonos (to play and stop music etc.) by using Alexa on the phone - so saying: “alexa, play X in the Lounge” will work, the Lounge speaker springs into action… but I am told that “Lounge” needs to be specifically said because the phone is not aware of what room it’s in… whereas the Alexa within the speaker would be.

A real shame they didn’t seem do any comprehensive testing before releasing it to the wild, of course. I will follow this thread on my friend’s behalf.

Badge

As I said, the two Sonos ONEs are on S1. I don’t know why this was picked on initial installation.

I see that both:

• One (Gen 1)
  • One (Gen 2)

Are S2 compatible. I don’t know what Gen the ONEs are - but both are covered anyway - and there are only ONEs in the Sonos setup, nothing else at all… would moving them to S2 remove this problem at the same time?

The more I think about it, the more Sonos not having an ETA for something they broke, and could choose to revert in a day or two, seems more and more pathetic. Break your older stuff, so that folk are forced to use your newer stuff (even if it’s just the app/OS every little helps - and it’s a short step away from the revised messaging that “ONEs using S1 no longer support Alexa”, isn’t it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Hippogriff

Indeed updating your system to S2 will solve the current Alexa issue. S2 is the full supported Sonos system and I strongly recommend using it. 
Supporting S1 any longer even just for fixes will become more and more difficult in future. 

Userlevel 1

At this point maybe they should increase all of our upgrade "discounts" from 30% to 75% as a recognition of the outage and inconvenience, and it gets us to S2...

Now working again …. Thanks Sonos.

I had a response from Sonos customer care as I emailed the CEO. They assure me that they are working with Alexa to find a fix and that apparently this has also affected some S2 users. We will see. But the more of us that email them the better. 

Badge

It was booting up, it’s definitely on now

Userlevel 2

Same. 

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same issue with all of my Sonos One devices.  Started yesterday and I’ve tried everything you say you have, with no success.  Extremely frustrating.  If I switch them to using the Google Voice Assistant then it works fine, so it appears to be an Alexa integration problem.  I upgraded the Sonos firmware yesterday so I suspect that did something to break it.  Did you also update your firmware recently?  I hope we can get some support from Sonos to get this resolved!

If you need Sonos Support, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Thanks, I am doing that

Userlevel 1

The Sonos services status page seems to say everything is working okay at the moment. See here…

https://status.sonos.com

I asked support why this says its operational even though there is a known issue:

“That link is for outages only. As the issue is not an outage, it is not displayed there.”

Ah well that explains why my Sonos One Alexa is working then, as I’m using the device on an S2 setup here.👍

Badge

Hmmm…  well thats it for now then.  I’ll see things with a bit more clarity and patience in the morning.  Goodnight and thanks for the help.

Which is unusual, since all Sonos does is channel your voice command to an Amazon server for processing, and receives back a digital based command. There’s been no change to S1 from Sonos.