Answered

Outage - Alexa started BBC stations not playing

• 21 February 2018
  • 63 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Yes! Its working again here in the UK too! Phew! Anyone know exactly what was fixed and by whom - Sonos, Amazon Tunein or BBC?
Badge
Yes, all working. Thank you Sonos.
Working here!!! Great start to the day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the reports! We're still checking on things to make sure so we aren't quite ready to call this one "all clear" just yet. Glad it's working for you!
Yes, working here as well!!
It's working now ?

Thanks for all the efforts in fixing this.

It is, I agree, good news!!!!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
It's working now ?

Thanks for all the efforts in fixing this.
Same problem for us too also in the UK. Yesterday asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 2 ( or any BBC station) in a room, Alexa answers correctly and knows the room but no sound. Other tunein stations work. Why is this? So frustrating!!!

Stevemorea, I politely raised this with Tunein earlier. They were very responsive in replying and know/agree there is an issue and further agree with my thoughts that there is some compatibility issue between BBC, Tunein and Alexa. Needless to say, they are working on it but have no fix eta.
Same problem for us too also in the UK. Yesterday asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 2 ( or any BBC station) in a room, Alexa answers correctly and knows the room but no sound. Other tunein stations work. Why is this? So frustrating!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, as dasym posted from the support team, there is currently an issue we're investigating with BBC stations started using Alexa on Sonos. If you use the Sonos app to play those stations, they'll work fine. I'll let you all know here in this thread when the issue has been resolved.

For now, I'm going to mark this post as the answer to this thread so that it remains sticky at top, it doesn't mean that we've determined the issue to be resolved at this time. I'll also be making this thread the main post for this issue, so I'll be changing the title. We're still working on it.

Thanks for reporting everyone.
Same problem here too. Sort of relieved it is not something I have done inadvertently 🙂 To be clear though, it is only a problem playing BBC radio stations through my dot via tunein to my Sonos system; fine through the Sonos app direct. All other radio stations work through my dot via tunein or via the Sonos app.
Yes and me too. It seems to be just a BBC and voice issue. Radio 4 became very intermittent last night then it stopped.
Same problem here too. Sort of relieved it is not something I have done inadvertently 🙂 To be clear though, it is only a problem playing BBC radio stations through my dot via tunein to my Sonos system; fine through the Sonos app direct. All other radio stations work through my dot via tunein or via the Sonos app.
I’ve got the exact same problem and have tried every possible “fix” to find from reading this thread that it wasn’t a problem I could fix anyway! So frustrating- and such a waste of time. And I use it to listen to the radio. What a pain.
Thanks, got the same problem started yesterday 21-02-2018 Alexa says it's playing BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 2 but does not Grrrrrrrrrrr.
So I have this same issue - only today - but also, Spotify won't play on my sonos using the voice command. For some reason, it also won't play through Spotify connect, but will when I use the Sonos app. Basically: it seems like everything's gone haywire.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Just got this back from Sonos support: "We are aware that there is an issue with the BBC stations when you try to play it using voice command and we are investigating this issue."

That's hopeful.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
@UKMedia But I can pick up other radio stations from Tunein. So it is not a universal not supporting Alexa.Ah yes, I can get Jazz FM and Classic FM. Maybe it's just BBC radio stations that don't work on Alexa for some reason. The BBC stations do work from the TuneIn website.
Badge
@UKMedia But I can pick up other radio stations from Tunein. So it is not a universal not supporting Alexa.
Badge
I have contacted using Messenger. Someone has picked it up so it is on their radar.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Also, TuneIn don't appear to think there is a problem:

http://status.tunein.com/
That's interesting. If you go to the TuneIn Help Center (https://help.tunein.com/) it lists the apps, etc on which TuneIn is available. Significantly, although Sonos is listed, Amazon Echo devices are not. We know that when you request a TuneIn station on Sonos devices by voice it comes from a different feed to the one you get if you start it on the Sonos app. I wonder if TuneIn are pulling out of supporting Alexa - the Amazon agent I spoke to may have been hinting at that when he said he didn't know when the problem that some customers were experiencing would be fixed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thanks for the update dasym.

That is annoying. That is a very significant functionality loss for me as I listen to Radio 4 for the news every day.

Are Sonos investigating do you know? How do we raise it with them?

I suggest contacting technical support:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/contact
Please contact Sonos support about this. I have, so maybe if others do it'll get some action.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also, TuneIn don't appear to think there is a problem:

http://status.tunein.com/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is annoying. That is a very significant functionality loss for me as I listen to Radio 4 for the news every day.

I suggest contacting technical support:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/contact
Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I wonder if this a geographical issue as it still works for me in Wales.