Multiple Echo and Sonos - play everywhere not an option

• 5 October 2017
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

I'm curious if anybody has tried the obvious "brute force" method of combining Echo and Sonos groups?

Plug a Dot into a Play5 or ZP120

Group the Play5 or ZP 120 with some other Sonos players

Create an Echo group including the Dot and some other Echos

Play something on the Echo group.

The music should play on all of the grouped Echos and all of the grouped Sonos players. There would be a little delay between the Sonos and Echo groups but that might not be an issue depending on the length of delay and how much the two areas overlap.

I'll probably try this out for myself but was wondering if somebody already has and has some feedback on how well it worked?

I understand the only way of doing this is to plug an Echo dot via 3.5mm jack into a Sonos - (is this an inferior quality of sound issue? i.e. less than ideal). What chance is there of Sonos /Amazon sorting this issue with the new API being released.

I am pretty certain I will return Sonos Play 1 and Sonos 3 unopened, other family members were given Echos 2nd gen for christmas and we grouped them immediately ('everywhere' group). I then had the thought . .. will the new Sonos also group with these Echos? Then googled, came here. Feeling the workaround with 3.5mm jack socket is not optimal compared to wifi connection. As I said I haven't opened the Sonos boxes, so please correct me if I am wrong as I haven't actually tried it via software/wifi pairing. thanks
Has there been any movement on this subject?

I've read on a couple of posts that amazon was updating their SDK early this year but it's difficult to pin down if this has or will happen
I don't have any info, but this is very unlikely to happen.
I was about to purchase the S1 to compliment my newly purchased Echo Plus which I absolutely love for the value and features btw.., BUT... I will be delaying the S1 purchase and wait to see what the industry comes up with... As we all have recently learned, a company as popular as Apple has so far FAILED with their 'supposedly' superior sounding HomePod even though they own the worlds most successful platform, WHY? 'lack of 3rd party integration'... what can we expect from Sonos? Make it happen people! :?
Is there any chance that this update to the ios controller app will allow sonos speakers and echo speakers to play the same media simultaneously?
I only ask because the last line of what's new in the app says "wirelessly connect other sonos speakers to an amazon echo or dot"
Is there any chance that this update to the ios controller app will allow sonos speakers and echo speakers to play the same media simultaneously?
I only ask because the last line of what's new in the app says "wirelessly connect other sonos speakers to an amazon echo or dot"

No. That is describing being able to control Sonos via an Echo device.
Thanks for this. I spoke to the clerk before buying and explicitly asked if I would be able to synch with other speakers and play my existing streams via my "everywhere" group. He obviously didn't understand my question. Amazon can easily upscale the speaker tech and run Sonos out of the biz. Sonos needs Amazon more than Amazon needs Sonos. Very dissapointed in this "skill". Get on with it Sonos!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are a lot of advantages to Sonos you don’t seem to need or want. But hay doesn’t diminish the value of Sonos to those of us who have it. I have no desire to play my Sonos speakers in unison with an alexa speaker.

Ps. Yes never listen to guy at the store
I was disappointed that I my play base and two sonos play 1s do not interface at all with my amazon devices. I like the wireless features but my home stereo sounded much better and was easier to use to just play music on all 5.1 type speakers. The reason I am here is that I want to do something easy - Just play music on my play base and two play 1s which are a home theater set up. Just can not get it to work.
I just bought a Beam and can’t get it to be part of my Alexa Everywhere group. This is bogus. What did someone else say about Amazon or Google making their own speaker ecosystem?