Alexa voice volume linked to Sonos volume? Need independent control

• 24 October 2017
  • 61 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Another plus one for this feature, it’s gteat that the volume dips to give a command, but the bong and responses can be deafening. By muting what is playing when the Alexa command is given, there really is no reason for it to be so loud. It can be done with sat nav instructions through car stereo, so I’m sue it’s something Sonos could implement easily enough.
Badge +1
Yeah, I don’t know if this is a sonos or Alexa issue but a separate volume slider or Alexa is a set percentage of the regular volume, like 70% or whatever, would be ideal.
Independent Alexa and music volume a must. I find Alexa very loud. I want my music loud and Alexa low / medium. Please sort this, Sonos.
It would be great to hear that they are working on this. Alexa’s voice volume is brutally loud, especially when turning off lights or something with her at the end of the night.
The only way I’ve found to solve this problem is Echo Dot line-in to Sonos, disable the Sonos Alexa Skill entirely and just use the Sonos as a posh speaker for the Echo. Not a great solution but it does solve the volume issue.
I’m having the same problem. I’ve ended up turning off Alexa on the Sonos One and may go back to using an evho dot until Sonos fix the issue
Hi there. First time posting to Sonos Community. Haven't ever had a technical problem with Sonos. We have this differential volume problem too. Using Echo Dot with line-in to Play:5 and Connect:Amp. Autoplay volume works fine for any streaming content, but Alexa's voice is always about 10% of that volume, so we can't hear her at all. If we turn the volume up to be able to hear her, then then the volume of streaming audio is so loud it's potentially lethal!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. A separate volume setting for Alexa voice would work, as would a proportional volume setting.
Agreed; Alexa is absurdly loud and we wind up just keeping the mic muted so she won't randomly come on and yell about things.
Just to add my 2 cents worth... Alexa is way too loud in my Play one for me... Its embarassing: my neighbours can hear Alexa but not the music I’m playing. Don’t have this problem in an echo dot hooked up to a Bluetooth speaker. I appreciate it’s not a simple fix though... other people have said it’s too quiet. I DON’T think a totally independent voice volume will provide the best user experience...better to be able to adjust proportional volume.. ie still have voice adjust with master volume but provide a device setting (or account setting... not sure) that allows you to adjust voice volume as a proportion of master. It should be possible to make this simple to operate (eg Make voice louder/quieter) but in the background it would be adjusting the voice vs
Master proportional volume.
Agreed. Way too loud. Startles the kids. Nothing like turning the lights on and off and having Alexa scream, “OK!”
Userlevel 1
That is correct, but when the ones are added as surrounds the volume is disproportionately louder, than the main volume from the front playbar and Alexa voice responses are ridiculously loud (even worse, it lowers the volume on all the other speakers in the theatre group). It is necessary to have the ability to lower the volume of Alexa independently so she does not blow you ear drums when she activates/responds.

The echo does not have this feature, but it is no where near as bad (and in my opinion not necessary for the echo) as what happens with the Sonos Ones when in a home theatre setup.
But you can adjust the volume down on an echo, not so with surround sonos one speakers without it affecting the primary sound playing through the Playbar.

Not sure what you mean - you can't set the volume of Alexa's voice independently from the sound of music. Notification sounds, yes, but not the voice, which was the topic of the initial post,
Userlevel 1
But you can adjust the volume down on an echo, not so with surround sonos one speakers without it affecting the primary sound playing through the Playbar.
Very loud on the new Echo, too. Not just an issue on the Sonos. Seems like maybe they've increased the volume of Alexa's voice across the board.
Badge +2
Is there something inherently different in volume level (up to 10) when controlled by Alexa versus direct Sonos control via app? My living room isn't as loud when playing through Alexa versus direct?.....and YES, the Alexa voice prompts are very loud when the Sonos commanded music is loud.
Userlevel 1
Need to be able to adjust down the volume of alexa responses, when paired with a playbar as surrounds the volume form alexa is far too loud
Badge
Please pretty please can this be fixed. We need a way to have Alexa’s volume to be set independently.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Wife said to me last night is there a way to turn Alexa volume down, music was playing at the time she asked Alexa to turn off the hall lights Alexa replies OK which was way to loud. Its hard enough to get my wife to use this tech little things like this will put her off forever. I hope this is able to be fixed.
The Alexa voice being way too loud is the worst thing about the One, and perhaps the only area in which it is significantly worse than an Echo. I will return mine if this is not fixed.:@
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm jumping on this band wagon!

Sonos developers, please make the Voice Assistant volume independent from the Music volume.

Owner of three Play:1, three Play:3, one PLAYBAR, one SUB, a ONE.
+1 We use two for surround and it's current implementation is useless so we've disabled this feature. Good thing we did't pay extra for this. On the good side, it's given us a chance to get acquainted with Google Assistant as we still needed a voice control in the room.
100% agree. I tend to run my Sonos system quiet but in many rooms. I added my seventh speaker this week as a Sonos One and it’s the only Alexa-enabled one in my system. Because I run my music broad but quiet, I find the Alexa voice hard to understand, especially because the bass-tuning of my One makes the Alexa voice sound muddled. I’d love to be able to turn her up. Even further, it would be great to have some Alexa EQ settings that remove the bassiness of the speaker if needed when it speaks.
That should read ‘controlling’, not ‘college trolling’ (although I’m sure that’s fun).
I initially had issues when I used the line out from Alexa to provide the input to the Sonos via the line in that the volume levels were all incorrect. However if you add your Alexa account into the Sonos unit then it works great. You can select your normal playlists and songs then speak to Alexa to make a change. Do not use the line out from Alexa, let the apps talk to each other for college trolling what is playing and use the volume control on your phone app instead of asking Alexa to turn it up or down. I have just had the latest update so that may have helped.
You really need to get this implemented as soon as possible. Have never used Alexa before so unsure if this this an Alexa issue or the sonos implementation, however the google assistant allows you to set the maximum volume and have a night time mode set on a schedule.