Skip to main content
Answered

Looks like we may lose our networked libraries with next big update? NAS drive?

I could be wrong on this but maybe someone on this list can answer it. You will need to know some basic info on my SONOS system so I posted below..

I mostly use my personal music library that is located on a solid state drive via my ethernet wifi connected network. I have a Apple Ethernet-wi-fi router that has an USB input on it. My SS drive with over 39,000 tracks on it (also my Apple itunes AKA Music drive) is connected to that same router. My SONOS components grab my music from that SS drive.

With this upcoming software update it sounds like I (anyone with a similar hook up) will lose access to their connected drives??? I will lose of all my own paid for music on that drive. So one questions since I’m not quite a computer nut is… Is the way I have my SS drive connected to the router via USB considered a NAS drive?? Will I lose access to that drive if I do the update? 

88 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@iainholmes81,

I use Plex and the iBroadcast service in Sonos aswell… both are good alternatives to the Sonos local library service and they’re both searchable services in the new Sonos App too.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths, quick question on iBroadcast. I see that they transcode music to 128kbps MP3 upon upload; that’s the limit for their ‘free’ tier. Does that transcoding process work smoothly? And are the results okay-ish at that bitrate? Thanks!

@iainholmes81,

I use Plex and the iBroadcast service in Sonos aswell… both are good alternatives to the Sonos local library service and they’re both searchable services in the new Sonos App too.

Hi @Ken_Griffiths, quick question on iBroadcast. I see that they transcode music to 128kbps MP3 upon upload; that’s the limit for their ‘free’ tier. Does that transcoding process work smoothly? And are the results okay-ish at that bitrate? Thanks!

Yes, it works fine @press250 - the only issue I had with the iBroadcast service was it took almost 5 days to upload 25,500 tracks. The uploader was a little slow, my ISP upload speed though is limited to 100mbps. Once completed though, the service works well.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, it works fine @press250 - the only issue I had with the iBroadcast service was it took almost 5 days to upload 25,500 tracks. The uploader was a little slow, my ISP upload speed though is limited to 100mbps. Once completed though, the service works well.👍

Hahaha, that is exactly why I asked you the question! Uploading my library in FLAC will take days.

Userlevel 2

Any Apple Mac people here. I lost my music library I had . See the first post in this thread. Since I went out and purchased the latest Eero wifi 7 network instead of my very out of date Apple AirPorts. Now I would like to take my 2 TB SSD USB 3.0 drive to something on the network so I can grab the 38,000 tracks I have on it. I don’t want it directly connected to my main computer though because I dont want to leave my computer on 24/7 just so Sonos can find the connected drive. The replaced Apple router had a USB jack on it and worked great until SONOS destroyed the app. Any Apple tech help appreciated. I am not a Windows guy and want nothing to do with anything windows based. 

Badge

People are still very busy on this platform to restore or find complex and/or costly workarounds for lost functionality in the Sonos app. It almost seems as if people regard this as a natural phenomenon. But it's not, it's due to a decision made in the Sonos boardroom.

In my last post here, I wish everybody a great deal of luck and wisdom to get back what they initially paid for. I sold my Amp and two Play:1's, the rest of the Sonos gear will follow in the months to come. Yesterday I installed my new Bluesound system; more functionality (I can play files from my NAS again!), better sound quality, same ease of use and a company that understands audio and music aficionado's. My advice, if you have the resources to change system, do so. If everybody stays loyal to this brand, then this management will get away with anything in the future. Signing off.

Thank you for the advise, I never heard of Bluesound. I will look into that!

I also noticed in a message above that Sonos advised customers switching to SMB2. Well I NEVER EVER saw a message like this, not online, not in the app or anywhere else. 

This is my last post, I move on.

@iainholmes81,

Hi @Ken_Griffiths, quick question on iBroadcast. I see that they transcode music to 128kbps MP3 upon upload; that’s the limit for their ‘free’ tier. Does that transcoding process work smoothly? And are the results okay-ish at that bitrate? Thanks!

Yes, it works fine @press250 - the only issue I had with the iBroadcast service was it took almost 5 days to upload 25,500 tracks. The uploader was a little slow, my ISP upload speed though is limited to 100mbps. Once completed though, the service works well.👍

I agree, the free tier is perfectly acceptable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m using the SonoPhone app on my iPhone.  That allows me to search and play NAS stored music from my WD NAS.  It also allows me to manage the queue…things that used to be possible with the old Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I’m here because of the latest S2 update. I accidentally updated it without knowing that I am going to lose access to my stored music on my Synology NAS.

I am not technical at all with these things. A friend helped me set it up when I bought the Sonos 5 speaker. I have no clue what he did.

Now the Music Library search is gone. I tried to add the library back by adding the path to the folder (something like \\SynologyNAS\Music). It asks me for username and password. I entered every option I can think of and it does not recognize any of it. Error message 913 “unable to add music folder”.

I don’t have time to get a rep on the phone with a minimum of 55 minutes wait. My calls to them usually lasts several hours in the past. What should I do please? 

I can stream spotify, but my main music source are unique dj mixes (mp3) from my dj friends. These are hours long club mixes.

Any help would be appreciated (though I have trouble with technical things). Much thanks,

Angie

Maybe get your friend back and ask them to check/switch the NAS to use an SMBv2 share instead of SMBv1 …and if it’s not able to do that, to see if there any NAS software updates, that will fix it.

Hey Angie!

Before you proceed with any of this, make SURE you know your NAS Username and Password and make sure you can login via the Web Portal to your NAS. We just wanna make sure that works before hand :)

I wrote this the other day, sounds like it might help you in terms of SMB v1 and going to SMB v2 on your Synology

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > General

1. Maximum SMB Protocol: SMB3
  2. Minimum SMB Protocol: SMB2

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others

1. Uncheck “Enable NTLMv1 Authentication”

Once you do this, I’d highly recommend the following:

1. If your Synology Shared Folders are mounted on your computer, un-mount them and re-mount them. A reboot should also accomplish this if you’re not sure how to do that.
  2. Once we get your Share Address figured out, you’re going to want to re-index it.

In terms of the Share Location it’s going to depend on a lot of things. But here’s what mine looks like:

• \\IP ADDRESS OF YOUR NAS\Synology Shared Folder Name Where Music Lives\Folder Where Your Music Lives.
  • So as an example: \\192.168.100.100\SYNOLOGY SHARE\Music
  • Don’t know the IP Address? No problem!
    • DSM > Control Panel > Info Center > Network Tab > LAN 1 > IP Address
  • Note in the Sonos Controller App, the \\, they are reversed on macOS. So if you’re using a Mac, it’ll be //

As for the Username and Password, that’s gonna be harder, but I suspect it would be the one you use to access your NAS. Unless a specific User was setup. You can check your Users on your NAS by going to

DSM > Control Panel > Users & Groups

--Brian

Thank you Ken and Brian for your recommendations. Will try this weekend and report back. 
Angie

@Ken_Griffiths @CronoCX 

Apologies for getting back late. Life stuff … I followed your instructions and managed to get into the Synology Assistant web portal (apparently I had to download an update for that first). I located my NAS, changed the password that Sonos uses to access the NAS, followed your steps exactly to change the SMB settings. Went back to Sonos to “Add music folder”, typed in the correct path and new password. Violá it worked!!! Sonos recognized the path and immediately started to index my music folder. Now I am able to search my Music Library in S2, along with other streaming services. SO THANK YOU GUYS very much. I am happy and dancing again :)

Angie

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey Angie!

That makes me so happy! I’m glad Ken and I were able to help.

—Brian

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Angie!

That makes me so happy! I’m glad Ken and I were able to help.

—Brian

Now I do notice something different between using my old laptop app vs the app on my iPhone. My Music Library is definitely there, and searchable on my laptop. Mind you I am still using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 😅 But it is not searchable on my phone (iOS 17.4.1). When I hit search on the phone, let’s say an artist by name, it only shows results from Spotify and other streaming options, not my Music Library. I do see under My Sources my music library, but not searchable. I suppose I could scroll thru the alphabets and find my artist or song like that but it’s a pain. Is that going to change? Why does Sonos think we all stream for crying out loud. 

Now I do notice something different between using my old laptop app vs the app on my iPhone. My Music Library is definitely there, and searchable on my laptop. Mind you I am still using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 😅 But it is not searchable on my phone (iOS 17.4.1). When I hit search on the phone, let’s say an artist by name, it only shows results from Spotify and other streaming options, not my Music Library. I do see under My Sources my music library, but not searchable. I suppose I could scroll thru the alphabets and find my artist or song like that but it’s a pain. Is that going to change? Why does Sonos think we all stream for crying out loud. 

Yes search of the local library is due later this month. See here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there, I’m reactivating this thread bc I don’t want to start from scratch. Anyway after following Brian and Ken’s advice to switch SMB protocols etc post disastrous May update (very appreciative btw), I have not paid much attention to newer Sonos updates. I don’t trust them anymore. So now is the latest update version 80.05.04 from 6 days ago worth it? It claims to have added “search for local music library”. Curious if any other iOS users tried it? I would eventually like to be able to search my own music on the phone like the good old days 😊

My laptop is on S2 v16.2 which sees my NAS music folder (after switching SMB protocols) AND lets me search it. I don’t plan on updating the S2 at all even though I keep getting warnings to do so. 

p.s. I have Synology NAS, iOS17.5.1, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina (yes dinosaur), Sonos Five speaker and Beam (from 5 years ago). Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cattoo, here’s the skinny on the app and firmware updates for the past two weeks …

• Firmware v16.3 released on 16 July only works with the latest mobile app (iOS v80.05.04) and desktop app (Mac and Windows v16.3). In other word, if you perform a system update you will need to update all of your Sonos apps. FWIW, users okay running the latest mobile and desktop apps are copacetic with the v16.3 firmware.
  • On a similar note, Mac and Windows desktop app v16.3 requires the v16.3 firmware.
  • The latest iOS app re-introduces many MIA features, including local library music.

Summary: if you want to stick with what you have, do not perform a system update to the v16.3 firmware. On the other hand, most users are happy(ish) with the latest mobile apps released this past week.