Skip to main content
Answered

Looks like we may lose our networked libraries with next big update? NAS drive?

I could be wrong on this but maybe someone on this list can answer it. You will need to know some basic info on my SONOS system so I posted below..

I mostly use my personal music library that is located on a solid state drive via my ethernet wifi connected network. I have a Apple Ethernet-wi-fi router that has an USB input on it. My SS drive with over 39,000 tracks on it (also my Apple itunes AKA Music drive) is connected to that same router. My SONOS components grab my music from that SS drive.

With this upcoming software update it sounds like I (anyone with a similar hook up) will lose access to their connected drives??? I will lose of all my own paid for music on that drive. So one questions since I’m not quite a computer nut is… Is the way I have my SS drive connected to the router via USB considered a NAS drive?? Will I lose access to that drive if I do the update? 

DLNA sharing is via the Windows Media Player but instead of using that maybe this link will assist you better instead..

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/adding%2Da%2Dwindows%2Dsmb%2Dshare%2Dstep%2Dby%2Dstep%2D6892060

Thanks! I love step 3: 

Oh man, I can’t tackle the whole “local account” gauntlet here, so you’ll need to Google/ChatGPT it yourself.

😆

(edit: I’m not using Windows myself but running DNLA and file sharing from a Raspberry Pi, but the advice to set up a local account for file sharing seems good in either case)

Hello, I’m here because of the latest S2 update. I accidentally updated it without knowing that I am going to lose access to my stored music on my Synology NAS.

I am not technical at all with these things. A friend helped me set it up when I bought the Sonos 5 speaker. I have no clue what he did.

Now the Music Library search is gone. I tried to add the library back by adding the path to the folder (something like \\SynologyNAS\Music). It asks me for username and password. I entered every option I can think of and it does not recognize any of it. Error message 913 “unable to add music folder”.

I don’t have time to get a rep on the phone with a minimum of 55 minutes wait. My calls to them usually lasts several hours in the past. What should I do please? 

I can stream spotify, but my main music source are unique dj mixes (mp3) from my dj friends. These are hours long club mixes.

Any help would be appreciated (though I have trouble with technical things). Much thanks,

Angie

Hello, I’m here because of the latest S2 update. I accidentally updated it without knowing that I am going to lose access to my stored music on my Synology NAS.

I am not technical at all with these things. A friend helped me set it up when I bought the Sonos 5 speaker. I have no clue what he did.

Now the Music Library search is gone. I tried to add the library back by adding the path to the folder (something like \\SynologyNAS\Music). It asks me for username and password. I entered every option I can think of and it does not recognize any of it. Error message 913 “unable to add music folder”.

I don’t have time to get a rep on the phone with a minimum of 55 minutes wait. My calls to them usually lasts several hours in the past. What should I do please? 

I can stream spotify, but my main music source are unique dj mixes (mp3) from my dj friends. These are hours long club mixes.

Any help would be appreciated (though I have trouble with technical things). Much thanks,

Angie

Maybe get your friend back and ask them to check/switch the NAS to use an SMBv2 share instead of SMBv1 …and if it’s not able to do that, to see if there any NAS software updates, that will fix it.

Angie

Maybe get your friend back and ask them to check/switch the NAS to use an SMBv2 share instead of SMBv1 …and if it’s not able to do that, to see if there any NAS software updates, that will fix it.

Hey Angie!

Before you proceed with any of this, make SURE you know your NAS Username and Password and make sure you can login via the Web Portal to your NAS. We just wanna make sure that works before hand :)

I wrote this the other day, sounds like it might help you in terms of SMB v1 and going to SMB v2 on your Synology

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > General

1. Maximum SMB Protocol: SMB3
  2. Minimum SMB Protocol: SMB2

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others

1. Uncheck “Enable NTLMv1 Authentication”

Once you do this, I’d highly recommend the following:

1. If your Synology Shared Folders are mounted on your computer, un-mount them and re-mount them. A reboot should also accomplish this if you’re not sure how to do that.
  2. Once we get your Share Address figured out, you’re going to want to re-index it.

In terms of the Share Location it’s going to depend on a lot of things. But here’s what mine looks like:

• \\IP ADDRESS OF YOUR NAS\Synology Shared Folder Name Where Music Lives\Folder Where Your Music Lives.
  • So as an example: \\192.168.100.100\SYNOLOGY SHARE\Music
  • Don’t know the IP Address? No problem!
    • DSM > Control Panel > Info Center > Network Tab > LAN 1 > IP Address
  • Note in the Sonos Controller App, the \\, they are reversed on macOS. So if you’re using a Mac, it’ll be //

As for the Username and Password, that’s gonna be harder, but I suspect it would be the one you use to access your NAS. Unless a specific User was setup. You can check your Users on your NAS by going to

DSM > Control Panel > Users & Groups

--Brian

Angie

Hey Angie!

Before you proceed with any of this, make SURE you know your NAS Username and Password and make sure you can login via the Web Portal to your NAS. We just wanna make sure that works before hand :)

I wrote this the other day, sounds like it might help you in terms of SMB v1 and going to SMB v2 on your Synology

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > General

1. Maximum SMB Protocol: SMB3
  2. Minimum SMB Protocol: SMB2

DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others

1. Uncheck “Enable NTLMv1 Authentication”

Once you do this, I’d highly recommend the following:

1. If your Synology Shared Folders are mounted on your computer, un-mount them and re-mount them. A reboot should also accomplish this if you’re not sure how to do that.
  2. Once we get your Share Address figured out, you’re going to want to re-index it.

In terms of the Share Location it’s going to depend on a lot of things. But here’s what mine looks like:

• \\IP ADDRESS OF YOUR NAS\Synology Shared Folder Name Where Music Lives\Folder Where Your Music Lives.
  • So as an example: \\192.168.100.100\SYNOLOGY SHARE\Music
  • Don’t know the IP Address? No problem!
    • DSM > Control Panel > Info Center > Network Tab > LAN 1 > IP Address
  • Note in the Sonos Controller App, the \\, they are reversed on macOS. So if you’re using a Mac, it’ll be //

As for the Username and Password, that’s gonna be harder, but I suspect it would be the one you use to access your NAS. Unless a specific User was setup. You can check your Users on your NAS by going to

DSM > Control Panel > Users & Groups

--Brian

Thank you Ken and Brian for your recommendations. Will try this weekend and report back. 
Angie

With the new app I can play my library. sometimes. Sometimes it doesn’t appear, some times it does. As has been noted elsewhere the lack or re-indexing and queue editing is a huge step backwards. But sonos says the do intend to fix that. Eventually?

This is just like everyone else, apple,Sony etc  they change operating system and delete features supposedly to protect us. But really they just want yiu to upgrade your gear. 

I had a very exspSony system  they deleted some features basically  made my system for my use obsolete  so I got the Sonos now we going down same path.     Might as well just hire an orchestra and they play what I want, and hop being human they do as instructed not what they choose 

This is just like everyone else, apple,Sony etc  they change operating system and delete features supposedly to protect us. But really they just want yiu to upgrade your gear. 

I had a very exspSony system  they deleted some features basically  made my system for my use obsolete  so I got the Sonos now we going down same path.     Might as well just hire an orchestra and they play what I want, and hop being human they do as instructed not what they choose 

Settle down.  Sonos has announced that all features missing from the latest app are going to be implemented in the next month or two:

Matter of fact, many fixes came in the app released today:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

In this update:

• Support for the all new Sonos Roam 2.

• Improved VoiceOver support, allowing for easier navigation and control on the Now Playing Screen, System View, Output Selector, Queue, Volume Sliders, and Add Product.

• Improved TalkBack support for the Now Playing Screen, System View, and Add Product.

• Improved Local Music Library playback of folders.

• Added the ability to Search for content to use with an Alarm.

• Improved system connectivity for Boost and portable products in sleep mode.

• Fixed issues with Add Product that resulted in incomplete registration, a need to sign in again, or inability to confirm a product PIN.

• Fixed an issue with enabling Surround and Sub Audio.

• Fixed an issue that blocked Trueplay if a TV was the input source.

• Fixed an issue with asking for Local Network permissions.

We will believe when we see them working how we like.  Or close to. 

I was just about to heavily invest into am Arc-Soundbar, a sub and two Era 300 speakers. Am glad that I’ve not done it yet. Not supporting NAS drives and if it is only on a temporary basis is a no go. Will look for alternatives. I’m sorry Sonos, but these kind of decisions will eventkill your business.

I was just about to heavily invest into am Arc-Soundbar, a sub and two Era 300 speakers. Am glad that I’ve not done it yet. Not supporting NAS drives and if it is only on a temporary basis is a no go. Will look for alternatives. I’m sorry Sonos, but these kind of decisions will eventkill your business.

Not supporting NAS drives? Not sure where you got that from - the NAS drives here work just fine.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

I’m running an NAS drive with the same library I’ve had for over a decade.  The only thing that changed for NAS drives is you can no longer use SMB 1, which was phased out long ago due to complaints over security problems (overblown security problems, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease). 

I received the update this week and it rendered my Sonos useless. It is a shame. I cannot listen to my Synology-library or the Live-streams.

I changed SMB-settings as described above, but the app keeps failing to start playing. I used to listen to some Livestations, they also fail to play. And whats that with connecting to Sonos-contentservices? I have to authorise “user” (gebruiker in Dutch) again? To what? and Why? It also fails, though.

No reaction of Sonos anywhere, it is impossible to reach Sonos via email, telephone of chat.

With this arrogance Sonos wont last very long. 

All for shareholders value: more adds (in the app too) and for upselling more inferiour hardware.

I received the update this week and it rendered my Sonos useless. It is a shame. I cannot listen to my Synology-library or the Live-streams.

I changed SMB-settings as described above, but the app keeps failing to start playing. I used to listen to some Livestations, they also fail to play. And whats that with connecting to Sonos-contentservices? I have to authorise “user” (gebruiker in Dutch) again? To what? and Why? It also fails, though.

No reaction of Sonos anywhere, it is impossible to reach Sonos via email, telephone of chat.

All for shareholders value: more adds (in the app too) and for upselling more inferiour hardware.

After switching SMB to v2 or v3 try running the index update from the desktop controller App and see if that resolves the issue for you.

After switching SMB to v2 or v3 try running the index update from the desktop controller App and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thank you for your advise, I only use Linux. For as I know there is no desktop app for Linux available.

I’ve contacted Dutch-media today, perhaps it leads to a TV-item in a consumerprogram.

Thank you for your advise, I only use Linux. For as I know there is no desktop app for Linux available.

I’ve contacted Dutch-media today, perhaps it leads to a TV-item in a consumerprogram.

Ah you may need to wait then until the library feature/index is added to the new App as mentioned in the link here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

It might have been best to have switched the setup to SMBv2 in early April when Sonos sent out the emails and notifications (attached), or perhaps before that, just from a security perspective as SMBv1 has been regarded as being insecure fot some time as mentioned here:

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/smb-protocol-explained-understanding-its-security-risks-and-best-practices

Anyhow I hope all goes well with your TV show/consumer programme too. 👍

To be honest, I've never found Sonos' local library browser to be particularly reliable. It always felt clunky and unfinished (to me).

There are better options out there that cost significantly less than Roon ‐ I use Plex for managing my music library. It's not perfect, bit allows much more granular control than the built-in library browser did, and still works. Incredibly simple to get up and running and works great for me.

@iainholmes81,

I use Plex and the iBroadcast service in Sonos aswell… both are good alternatives to the Sonos local library service and they’re both searchable services in the new Sonos App too.

You should try Noson it may get you back playing music (not 100% sure if new firmware broke anything)

https://github.com/janbar/noson-app?tab=readme-ov-file

Unfortunately, I do not have the computer tech skills expressed in many of these posts BUT I chose SONOS (15 years ago) because it was (relatively) simple to set-up with MY music (many ‘ripped CDs’) on a WD NAS-drive. The fact that I now appear to have ‘lost’ all of this functionality is beyond any expression of ‘disappointment’ that I can express here without ‘unacceptable language’!

HOWEVER …

Having realised that the ‘all new app’ no longer allows me to access/use MY LIBRARY, I tried an online search for alternatives as well as looking for what is (still showing) on ‘Sonos Support’.

It is truly outrageous that (with their ‘new app’) not only have Sonos removed this (from my perspective) ‘vital feature’, their own ‘support page’ STILL states that “Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system”; see below!!

YOU COULDN’T MAKE THIS UP ……. where is the updated support from SONOS????

1. Sonos Support
  2. Article
  3. Add your music library to Sonos

Add your music library to Sonos

Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system. This article will show you how to add your music library using the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.

If you have already added your music library but have downloaded or removed music, created new playlists, or adjusted metadata, see our article on updating your Sonos music library.

1. Open the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.
  2. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings.
  3. Click + (plus) on macOS, or Add if you are using Windows.
  4. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, select My Music folder. If your music is not located in the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  5. Type in your computer’s password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library, it may take several minutes to index.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos 

Unfortunately, I do not have the computer tech skills expressed in many of these posts BUT I chose SONOS (15 years ago) because it was (relatively) simple to set-up with MY music (many ‘ripped CDs’) on a WD NAS-drive. The fact that I now appear to have ‘lost’ all of this functionality is beyond any expression of ‘disappointment’ that I can express here without ‘unacceptable language’!

HOWEVER …

Having realised that the ‘all new app’ no longer allows me to access/use MY LIBRARY, I tried an online search for alternatives as well as looking for what is (still showing) on ‘Sonos Support’.

It is truly outrageous that (with their ‘new app’) not only have Sonos removed this (from my perspective) ‘vital feature’, their own ‘support page’ STILL states that “Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system”; see below!!

YOU COULDN’T MAKE THIS UP ……. where is the updated support from SONOS????

1. Sonos Support
  2. Article
  3. Add your music library to Sonos

Add your music library to Sonos

Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network attached storage drive, to your Sonos system. This article will show you how to add your music library using the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.

If you have already added your music library but have downloaded or removed music, created new playlists, or adjusted metadata, see our article on updating your Sonos music library.

1. Open the Sonos app for macOS or Windows.
  2. From the Manage menu, select Music Library Settings.
  3. Click + (plus) on macOS, or Add if you are using Windows.
  4. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, select My Music folder. If your music is not located in the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  5. Type in your computer’s password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library, it may take several minutes to index.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos 

The above still applies to the Desktop controller Apps - so the page is correct in its instructions - that’s if wanting to setup an SMBv2 shared library (or an SMBv1/http shared library for that matter), but both SMBv1 and http shares are not viewable through the new mobile App, but I assume is still viewable via the desktop App as that’s not been updated/changed. According to the messages sent out prior to these updates, it looks like the desktop controller will not disappear for some months yet, but I guess that will happen not too long after the new App gets the updated library install/indexing features that are due in a few weeks time, based on the Sonos timeline support document.

On my laptop, I’ve (still) got the S1 app as part of my ‘dual system’ but my music library (from my NAS) was still accessible on both S1 & S2 apps on my (Android) phone so its the ENFORCED update of the S2 app to the ‘new app’ that has caused the loss of my music library.

Currently my music library IS still accessible via S1 (laptop & phone) but I’m wary of updating fearing that step will (also) enforce loss of everything. Only the ‘Sonos roam’ from MY Sonos system would not be accessible to S1 app and I now wish that I’d not upgraded anything to the S2 app because it is those components (that I own) and had set-up within my ‘dual system’ that are causing the issues with the new app.

Being able to simply play MY music is all I ask for and was what I originally had, explaining why I’d invested in Sonos. But life is too short for all this ‘palava’, so a (very) tongue in cheek “thankyou” to Sonos!😢

You should try Noson it may get you back playing music (not 100% sure if new firmware broke anything)

I’m aware of Noson, regarding datestamps I recon it will not work.

I’ve no time nor the enthousiasm to experiment with the Sonos S2 app or Noson. After paying lots of money for my sonos equipment I just want it to work.

Perhaps it is more succesfull to switch to another platform and sell the Sonos shit to somebody else who likes to listen to commercials via livesteams. This is where Sonos really makes their money nowaday!

I replayed you several times but sonos is starting to ‘moderate’ my critisism… ;-)

Time to move to another platform! 

People are still very busy on this platform to restore or find complex and/or costly workarounds for lost functionality in the Sonos app. It almost seems as if people regard this as a natural phenomenon. But it's not, it's due to a decision made in the Sonos boardroom.

In my last post here, I wish everybody a great deal of luck and wisdom to get back what they initially paid for. I sold my Amp and two Play:1's, the rest of the Sonos gear will follow in the months to come. Yesterday I installed my new Bluesound system; more functionality (I can play files from my NAS again!), better sound quality, same ease of use and a company that understands audio and music aficionado's. My advice, if you have the resources to change system, do so. If everybody stays loyal to this brand, then this management will get away with anything in the future. Signing off.