One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

161 replies

Hi @AndersPG, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing us with a detailed concern and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion, an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop. These network-related issues that may be causing the issue.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

1. A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Ungroup your 2 Sonos Ones
    • Start playback on each speaker to check if you will be able to hear the music
    • Run a diagnostic report
  3. Create a stereo pair
    • If you have confirmed that both of the speakers are working individually, create a stereo pair.
    • Start playback and run another diagnostic

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and include the confirmation number of the diagnostic report in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi Rowena

I tried the above mentioned approach. 

Under 2 the diagnostics number is 528898578

Under 3 the diagnostics number is 969732768

I am unfortunately still unable to make a stereo pair with my two Sonos Ones. In the meantime I encountered another problem where a Sonos One and a Beam disappeared from my app completely. They back only when I unplugged them and them turned them on again. 

@Mondale I'm just going off of what I see in your report. There's a reason there are wireless communication errors, troubleshooting is how to find it. I see that your Boost is trying to send quite a lot of data, and it's backed up. How close is the Boost to your router? If they are too close, they can interfere regardless of wireless channel. Also, sometimes power outlets can cause interference try moving any speakers slightly away from walls.

It's hard to do more specific troubleshooting with limited information and tools. If these steps don't help it would be a good idea to continue troubleshooting with our phone team as they can try things live, and have more tools available. Our number and hours are found here.

Thanks. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for whatever reason and the obvious problems weren't really applicable. But my boost is basically next to my router. How far should they be? Also I noticed that the pairing dropped out only when I was using my line-in turntable, but not spotify. This was the case for both the paired speakers near the router and boost and the ones in the other room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Mondale Line-in connections can have different bandwidth use on different devices. Turntables tend to send much more bandwidth than smartphones, for example. You can use the compression setting in the Sonos app to set the line-in to compressed, and see if that helps.

We recommend keeping a couple feet in between your Boost and router.
@Mondale Line-in connections can have different bandwidth use on different devices. Turntables tend to send much more bandwidth than smartphones, for example. You can use the compression setting in the Sonos app to set the line-in to compressed, and see if that helps.

We recommend keeping a couple feet in between your Boost and router.

I have the setting at compressed. It's better than before but doesn't explain the pairing inference. Would power strips and/or old school vintage (1970s) speakers cause inference? I grafted my sonos collection to my vintage hifi setup and I have everything in a single media console.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @AndersPG, thank you for your response and for updating us. I’m sorry to hear that you’re still having the same issues after performing the steps that we recommended. At this point, it would be best to understand your network setup and continue working with us over the phone to further check on this. It would be great if you can provide the make and model of your network devices to check compatibility with Sonos and how are they communicate to your network. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform further troubleshooting and to do some tests on the Sonos app to isolate the issue to provide the best option for you. If you have any questions about this, If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We and the community are always here to help.

Sure….but the Sonos is just like any other network device. It receives the IP address handed to it by the router. There’s not method that I’m aware of for the receiver to recognize whether or not it is receiving a “valid” IP address. 

The issue here is that Sonos reboots itself with every software update. But it still relies on the router to give it a valid address. If the router turns out to be handing out bad IP addresses, there’s no knowledge or recourse that Sonos can implement….and it would be the same with any other network connected device.

Sonos can not fix local network issues problems, that’s up to the owner of the network. Sonos employees can see potential issues in the diagnostic when presented, but  it’s up to the router manufacturer to create the appropriately valid firmware.  

At the end of the day, any networked system like Sonos is only as good as the network it connects to. Network connected devices don’t have the ability to “fix” the network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Mondale It's possible. Also, the console could interfere with the wireless signal if there's metal in it, or if it's thick wood. Try repositioning things a bit and see if there's a difference.

Same problem here.   I have already gone through phone support as well as Google Wifi support and the whole system is a total mess.   Speaker pairs intermittently not working, rooms intermittently not working or syncing.   Very disappointing to spend all this money on a system and it doesn’t even work properly.  Shame on you Sonos.

Hi

I have been having trouble with Stereo Pair with speakers dropping out. It is inconsistent, and often drops in and out over a period of time. I have submitted a diagnostic 1483748854 to see if you can suggest assistance.

Regards
You've unfortunately hit a Friday night/weekend, and the forum community moderators tend to be Monday through Friday. Perhaps you should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Same problem here - happens regularly!
Diagnostic report 1458810722

Perhaps have a read through the two links in my post above and see if that helps resolve the matter. If not, then contact Sonos Customer Care to ask them to have s look at your diagnostic submission.