One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

174 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Similar issues here since a few months. Nothing has really changed in the house or sonos setup. Right speaker stops playing music in a stereo setup.

Breaking up the stereo pair (play 1’s) and joining them up again as a stereo pair seems to fix the issue for a short while (after which the problem returns).

When the right speaker stops playing music (left continues), the right speaker can still be used to pause the music using the pause button.

Submitted diagnosis: 325690171

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like your speakers are connecting to different wireless access points which are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your speakers to stay in sync. Please make sure all of your wireless access points are set to channel 11, and that your speakers aren't too far apart.
I am having the exact same problem. Right speaker stops working but the button still controls the music coming out of the left speaker. Diagnostic confirmation number is: 1936647214
I have the same problem since a couple of months. Two wired play:5's in stereo and the right one stops playing every other day. The buttons still work on the device, but no sound. I have to unplug and plug it to reset it. After a 5 minutes the speaker starts to work again. Must be a "recent" firmware change because I have my speakers for 4 years and never had this problem before.
Bart Riemens,

Albeit a while back now, I have encountered this issue in the past with my old Play 5's and I just broke apart the stereo pair and reset each one, one at a time so that I did not lose my setup ...and having set them up again as a pair, I have had no issues since. I also changed my wifi channel to one that was least-used in my locality, so that perhaps helped too.
Hi there Jeff, I'm having the same problem with my Sonos stereo Play 1 speakers where I am having to separate the stereo pair and then re-sync them every time I use the speakers.

The diagnostic confirmation number is 762398828. Thanks.
Hey Sonos staff,

I am answering to this thread as I do have a similar issue with Sonos Play:1 that I bought a couple of months ago. I do have the sound coming out of one speaker and not the other in a stereo pair. However, with the controller buttons (volume up/down, pauze/start) of both device I can control the sound coming of the only speaker working. Seems like they are connected to each other ?

My diagnostic report number is 1868022631.
Could you check what the rootcause is and what can be done to fix this ?

Kind regards,
Yciine

I am having this same thing. I have two Sonos One (2nd gen) in my family room and the “stereo pair” that I create does not work. I have unpaired and re-paried multiple times with no success. It will go thru the whole process and say it’s done, but it does not work. Diagnostic #1528109217. Please help - very frustrating for $200 (each) speakers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey Sonos staff,

I am answering to this thread as I do have a similar issue with Sonos Play:1 that I bought a couple of months ago. I do have the sound coming out of one speaker and not the other in a stereo pair. However, with the controller buttons (volume up/down, pauze/start) of both device I can control the sound coming of the only speaker working. Seems like they are connected to each other ?

My diagnostic report number is 1868022631.
Could you check what the rootcause is and what can be done to fix this ?

Kind regards,
Yciine

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. There are some wireless communication errors showing up between your speakers and network. I also see that there is a wireless network in close range to yours that is running on the same channel as your own. This could be causing interference, making it hard for your speakers to play in sync. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6, which is less crowded.
I know the “canned” Sonos answer to this problem is wireless interference, I have been fighting this problem for almost a year and have tried everything recommended. What I don’t understand, Is why my Play1’s have no drop issues until they are paired? Is there sudden interference once they are paired? It appears to me there is a major bug with the pairing operation, particularly if everything works great until you pair, then it goes to hell.

Any thoughts, explanations or clues are appreciated.

I have 5 pairs of Play:1’s/Sonos Ones. They all run on SonosNet and are set on a channel that is 5 channels away from my central router 2.4ghz channel. I have no stored WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Advanced Settings and have reserved their IP addresses in the DHCP Reservation Table, as mentioned in the threads on this forum. I’ve not had a dropout issue. My Son and Daughter have paired Play:1’s too, though not as many, and they’re not having any such problems either.

So my thoughts are you must have something local that’s causing this issue.

Have you spoken with Sonos Customer Care? A year wrestling with this issue seems much too long to me. I would give them a call.

Ah, yes.  This is still happening to me but I gave up trying to get any answers on it.

All Sonos will ever say is that there is ‘interference on my Wi-Fi’, regardless of the fact that I’ve stated many times that the speakers are hired-wired via ethernet and are not using the Wi-Fi.

That’s their stock response though, and means they can blame the user rather than acknowledging any fault on the part of them or their products.

Hi, I have a new pair of sonos play 1 connect as stereo. Same as anyone else. Every now and then right speaker will just go "offline" no sound. Got to separate and pair them again. I have set both spk to statics after seeing advise given here. But before that I have send in my diagnostic report number 157275521. Pls take a look.Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Kwm 

Your diagnostic didn’t contain any information as your phone was not connected to your system at the moment the diagnostic was sent.

I recommend you reboot your router by removing power for at least a minute, then turning back on.

Please then send another diagnostic while your phone is connected to the Sonos system, replying here with the number given, and we’ll try again. Thanks.

I am also now having this issue after months of flawless operation. Right speaker is no longer playing audio. Interestingly, the right speaker responds to Alexa commands/beeps/etc, but when I play music I only get the left speaker of the pair... I can’t even break/re-pair them as I can’t discover them from the Sonos app (maybe an iOS 13 bug?).

Volume control from the onboard buttons only affects the single speaker (saying “Alexa, turn it down only affects the left speaker, the one that plays music.. even though the right speaker responds for Alexa)

They are both connected to my WiFi without issue, which is a miracle because 2.4Ghz WiFi is a disaster on all channels here in the city.

a power cycle did not help; they behave the same after coming back on.

Here are their WiFi stats:

My issue has not resolved after all sorts of attempts. I have finally given up and have the speakers operating independently. 

I was considering purchasing the Sonos Arc but have decided to hold off given the lack of customer service on this issue from Sonos. 

Typo diagnose number should be 1572755521
Same problem here. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1086432769
Badge

I know the “canned” Sonos answer to this problem is wireless interference, I have been fighting this problem for almost a year and have tried everything recommended. What I don’t understand, Is why my Play1’s have no drop issues until they are paired? Is there sudden interference once they are paired? It appears to me there is a major bug with the pairing operation, particularly if everything works great until you pair, then it goes to hell.

Any thoughts, explanations or clues are appreciated.
I have 5 pairs of Play:1’s/Sonos Ones. They all run on SonosNet and are set on a channel that is 5 channels away from my central router 2.4ghz channel. I have no stored WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Advanced Settings and have reserved their IP addresses in the DHCP Reservation Table, as mentioned in the threads on this forum. I’ve not had a dropout issue. My Son and Daughter have paired Play:1’s too, though not as many, and they’re not having any such problems either.

So my thoughts are you must have something local that’s causing this issue.

Have you spoken with Sonos Customer Care? A year wrestling with this issue seems much too long to me. I would give them a call.

I have done everything you have with the addition of removing Airtime Fairness, and still no joy. Your response does not explain why everything works great until they are paired? If I have interference it would be problematic all the time, not just when paired, unless there is something that pairing is doing to reduce the effectiveness of the wireless operation, and in that case it’s still a Sonos problem and not “interference”. Additionally, people are having pairing drops with wired connections.. further to the point of a bug in my opinion. I have talked to customer care, submitted diagnostics etc.. my network map can be all green and I still have drops...
I'm having the same problem. No complaints for my internet. But this is the second time in 3 months that one of the speakers in two separate speaker pairs have gone out. I separated them and re-joined but it's fixing the problem this time. My diagnostic number is 1138675781
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks

I’m having a similar problem. Diagnostics report number is 46963233.  any tips?

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Typo diagnose number should be 1572755521

Thanks for sending in the report. There's wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. This is making it hard for your speakers to stay connected, and your right speaker has lost communication with the rest of the system. Also, you have 2 access points which are running on different wireless channels. Please try changing both of your wireless access points over to wireless channel 6 and test things out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1086432769

It looks like you recently switched your system back to the mesh configuration by wiring in your Bridge. There are still some errors relating to connections to your wireless network. Please head into the Sonos app and go to the settings menu. In the advanced settings page you can click wireless setup to find the option to reset your wireless credentials. Please try this, then reboot your Sonos speakers. Send along a new report if any issues continue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunne,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, shows audio dropout due to sync errors and wireless interference was detected in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space.  You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video.

Here are the steps that you can follow and see if it works for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Hardwire one of your Sonos speakers to your router (not your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  3. Separate and re-create stereo pair on your Sonos One's speakers.
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780

Hi there,

In your report it looks like you have a Sonos 5.1 surround setup. I don't see a stereo pair. If the stereo pair of speakers isn't showing up in the app, please follow the steps in this guide to get the speakers reconnected.

If you're having trouble with the speakers in your surround setup, take a look around and in between the speakers and see if there are any third party wireless electronics which could cause interference. Common sources of this type of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers. Try moving away from your speakers any such devices you find.