One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

176 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunne,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, shows audio dropout due to sync errors and wireless interference was detected in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space.  You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video.

Here are the steps that you can follow and see if it works for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Hardwire one of your Sonos speakers to your router (not your modem).
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.
  3. Separate and re-create stereo pair on your Sonos One's speakers.

If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780

Hi there,

In your report it looks like you have a Sonos 5.1 surround setup. I don't see a stereo pair. If the stereo pair of speakers isn't showing up in the app, please follow the steps in this guide to get the speakers reconnected.

If you're having trouble with the speakers in your surround setup, take a look around and in between the speakers and see if there are any third party wireless electronics which could cause interference. Common sources of this type of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers. Try moving away from your speakers any such devices you find.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks

It looks like there's a bit of interference showing up from a secondary wireless network your router is creating that is on the same channel as your main network. Try changing the network with the "-X" at the end over to channel 11 and see if that helps.

Hi @Sunne,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, shows audio dropout due to sync errors and wireless interference was detected in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space.  You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video.

Here are the steps that you can follow and see if it works for you.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Hardwire one of your Sonos speakers to your router (not your modem).
  3. Separate and re-create stereo pair on your Sonos One's speakers.

If there's no improvement with your Sonos system, I recommend contacting our phone support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

Hi Rowena.

As I said I have tried everything, and i cant seem to find a phonenumber to you for my location. 

My system works flawlessly when the ONEs are not “stereo paired”. It takes longer to get the music going but it sounds great. 
The problem starts when i pair them, and whatever speaker i choose as the left one keeps playing music and the right is silent..

For me this sounds like a bug in the software. Mostly because how god everything worked with the old app.. 

I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?

Hi there,

Wireless interference is the most common cause of a stereo pair falling out of sync. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, but before any reboots. Reply with the confirmation number, I can take a look for you.
Not sure specifically what did it, but everything started working again today... I changed my 2.4Ghz wifi channel, power cycled my router/modem/access point/switches, and then pressed and held the join button on the back of each speaker until they flashed orange. Once they went back to white (on their own), the app and the speakers all started working normally again.
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.
To highlight Ken's point, there was an actual bug in the Playbar firmware last year. The main thread (and there were dozens of others) hit 76 pages with 1800+ posts, and the story hit all the tech sites. That's for a relatively low sales volume item. If there was a bug in the pairing of the best selling Sonos units, this thread would be 200+ pages, not 4.

Here's the thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
I am having the same problem. Here is diagnostic # 388320624 Thanks.
Badge
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. Thanks

Ive tried restarting my router. Like 12 times. The issue continues as before each time  

Ok here is the new diagnostics report 759345870 

note that I separated the stereo pair and labeled the new one “office“  and as before all three are working fine with no issues whatsoever. werr I to re-pair the two, the issue comes back, no matter where in the house the pair is. it is always the right speaker that cuts in and out.  

Our two Sonos is on the same wifi.
Here is the diagnostic ID: 1836543787
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. ThanksThe issues mentioned here were some weeks back. As it’s weekend and the forum is going to be offline for a while this week coming, you maybe best to contact Sonos Support direct via their 24/7 links ... see this link:

Contact Sonos Customer Care
This issue happen multiple times a day to me.
report id 1008932623
Badge
I understand what you guys are saying, but unfortunately there are multiple threads for the same issue so the volume is misleading. I do plan to call support again as I’m unwilling to just give up, but the point of my post was to prove it worked one way but not the other, and solicit some thoughts for next steps, not necessarily defense of the “local interference” argument because it no longer makes sense to me given it works reliably unpaired vs not reliability paired. I would also submit that the “it works for me so it must be you” argument is not entirely true all the time, there is no way a Play1 manufactured years ago uses the identical chips etc. that a Play1 made today. I will forge on and update with relevant details to hopefully help someone with the same problem. I do appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
This issue happen multiple times a day to me.
report id 1008932623

Have you checked to see if this might be WiFi interference ... there are some useful things to try in these two links:

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
Hi all

I bought two new sonos speakers, set them up in stereo mode at first they worked perfectly.
But after they have ben installed properly, the one of them stops playing.

I have to pull the power to get it playing again.
the wifi is set to channel 1 and 11 on seperate AP's.

Can anyone help ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kwm 

I’m afraid I can’t really troubleshoot a stereo pair when the diagnostic is sent while that stereo pair doesn’t exist. Could you please reconfigure your system to the way you want it to work, recreate the issue and then send another diagnostic? Thanks.

Also, what happens if you make a different physical speaker the right side of the pair? Is it still the right speaker that has issues, regardless of which speaker the right speaker actually is?

chewmull,

Yes, I agree with jgatie, Sonos would likely just swap your unit if there was a known issue.

A few other things....Have you tried the things mentioned in this 'off the top on my head' list:
  1. Factory resetting the problem speaker(s)
  2. Swapping the Left and Right Speakers
  3. Moving the Speakers elsewhere in the home to rule out nearby interference from other devices
  4. Cabling the Speakers to the network to ensure it’s not related to your WiFi
Each one of those would maybe test different things and if the same speaker kept dropping out, then it maybe something to highlight in your call to Sonos Customer Care, which might go some way to supporting your claim.

I have the same issue, but in my case I have two Play 5’s in a stereo pair. The left one has an aux (stereo miniplug) that goes to a small mixer, and that is connected to a CD player and a turntable. The mixer is always on, but sometimes when I power on the CD player or turntable I get no sound from the left side play 5 (the one its plugged into). But if I plug the cord from the Play 5 and then plug it in again, sound comes back immediately. Very annoying.

Also “autoplay” sometimes works, but mostly doesn’t.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunne, thanks for your response and for updating us. At this point, it would be best to contact our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Hi, I have a Beam and a pair of One SL for stereo. The One SL keeps disconnecting from the setup. This happens on a daily basis. Whenever this happens, I would need to reboot my router and then everything will go back to normal. My diagnostics number is 152563356. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

I'm having the same problem. No complaints for my internet. But this is the second time in 3 months that one of the speakers in two separate speaker pairs have gone out. I separated them and re-joined but it's fixing the problem this time. My diagnostic number is 1138675781Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. I see that there are wireless communication issues showing up between your speakers. When playing to a stereo pair, communication between speakers is important so they can stay in sync. First, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. Also, take a look around your speakers for any third party electronics that might cause interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and cameras. You might also try repositioning your speakers.

I have repeatedly changed the wireless channel and they all don't really seem to fix the problem. Don't have any electronics around the base and moving the speakers aren't really an option. I have had this happen with two sets of pair speakers in different rooms, in very different spaces. I have regular issues with cut outs too. It's all very frustrating and the response I've gotten from Sonos has largely been the sort of boiler plate that's above. It's all cooled my enthusiasm of Sonos, I must say.