Question

Sonos power consumption

• 19 December 2016
  • 29 replies

Hi,
i'm new to SONOS community and going to get my first Sonos Play:1 very soon as Christmas gift.
I've a couple of questions about the product i was not able to found in the forum (sorry if i miss them in case already asked/answered)

1) i found that power consumption of Sonos Play:1 is 3.8W when in idle mode, no music playing (+0.3W if connected by ethernet). Is it possible to put the speker in sleep mode and wake it up by a WOL magic packet?

2) as i plan to not use the wifi, is it possible to disable the WIFi functionality of the speaker?

Thanks
Simone

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't expect 2 power cycles per week to cause much of a concern.

Your last sentence is unintelligible I'm afraid, sorry.
So, i've made some research, it seems no one had the idea to save power with WOL function. If this will be implemented they've to pay me royalties... 🆒
Seriously, other manufacturer have idle standby power around 4W or more (Heos, BlueSound, Bose...). Yamaha musiccast claims to have just 2 watt in idle mode, that is good. Sonos Play 1 is rated for ~4W idle (and 2W if WiFi is disabled, but this function is not officially supported by Sonos). Sonos play 5 seems to be just 1W consuming, but also this figure come from a user in the forum and is not officially documented.
Considering all other aspect, including the fact that Yamaha musiccast system has an open API that allow to heavily customize audio system operation, my choice defentively goes that way.
I'm interested in the WX-030 speaker and, when i'll win the lottery, in the NX-N500 :D

Dear Simone (Onesim) - I was very impressed by the analysis and work you've done. Any chance to continue this work together?
We do over-the-air wireless power and were looking for the right units to power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, orimori. Welcome to the community. We can see if Onesim gets back to you but his only contributions to our boards were well over a year ago. You may wish to start your own thread.
Hi Edward - thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
1. Any chance you can provide Onesim with my email?
2. Is there anyone relevant from Sonos tech team that I can reach as well?

I'm from Wi-Charge (http://www.wi-charge.com) and we do over-the-air wireless power.